What currency for tour guide tips in Vancouver

tour guides in Vancouver are quite used to tips in US or Euro's so you don't need to stress over getting Canadian dollars.  And with the exchange rates as they are any hassles the tour guide has going to the bank to change it over are well worth it.   for example a $10 US tip today is worth $12.26 canadian 

23 hours ago, Woody14 said:

tour guides in Vancouver are quite used to tips in US or Euro's so you don't need to stress over getting Canadian dollars.  And with the exchange rates as they are any hassles the tour guide has going to the bank to change it over are well worth it.   for example a $10 US tip today is worth $12.26 canadian 

Thanks!

On 3/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, wilderness1 said:

Do your tip US or Canadian?  I’m only there a day and wasn’t planning to bring any Canadian currency but then I thought about tipping tour guides. Should I make sure to have some Canadian on hand?

You could probably use any currency to tip a tour guide, but what is the purpose of providing a tip Personally, I provide tips to recognise exemplary service, when the guide has gone above and beyond the minimal level of service.

Why would I then provide a currency that forces the person who has given me great service, to have to visit a bank to exchange the currency.

Surely it doesn't take too much effort to visit a bank and order foreign currency prior to your cruise. Prior to any cruise, we stop at the bank and order the equivalent of $20 in the currency of each port we visit.

The main thing I will tell you is don't stress about it.  Some people will insist it is rude to use US dollars but truly nobody cares, especially in tourist areas.  I'm a dual citizen that has lived in the US for a couple of decades and when I see family in Canada I often never bother getting any Canadian money, even for a week long trip. Mostly I use credit cards, as is safest when travelling, and they work everywhere (best to have a card with chip).   At some point I buy a soda or something small at a store (ignoring the subpar exchange rate) with a US $20 (always ask if it is OK out of politeness, it usually will be) and use the Canadian change for parking or anything involving a machine that won't take credit cards (those are getting rare).

Nobody objects to a tip that is 20% bigger which is what they get with US money.

• Like 1