A 99 Day Journey to Alaska (Serenade by the Sea) with a Teen and Young Adult (over 21)

SUBTITLE: The Evolution of a Cruise from Researching to Planning to Booking to Cancelling to Rebooking and Finally to a Cruise Vacation in Alaska

Sub-Subtitle: The Capitals of Alaska Cruise

I have been on CC for several years and a small handful of cruises under my belt.  I love the info found on this site and the knowledgeable and experienced cruises that are members that have helped guide my way on past cruises. In return, I have always tried to provide my own feedback and experience when I could, especially when it comes to reviewing a cruise (see signature below for links).

I thought it may be interesting to begin my "review" in advance, a pre-review if you may, that will begin with providing information on the planning planning process, all the decisions we had made (and why), and everything that leads up to the cruise (making reservations, packing, etc.). Then of course, a full review of the cruise itself.

As we all know, each of us are different, and how we approach things like cruises will differ greatly - but it may be interesting to find out how others do it.

I had begun writing a semi-journal when this journey began almost 9 months ago, so there will be two ongoing stories (I hope it does not get confusing, I may write each in a different font) one that began when we first decided to go on this Alaskan cruise, and a second that begins now.

Not sure if y'all will enjoy reading such a thread, but might as well try it out. If there are little hits or replies, I can always stop and begin again post-cruise with a proper cruise review.

So pack your bags and come aboard to this virtual journey, your cruise (pre-review) awaits . . . .

• Like 8

[March 2022]

Prelude

I decided to keep a journal of my planning for this cruise to Alaska.  Although I did not initially intent to post all of this, once I made my first few entries, I thought that some of you might find it interesting. It includes some of the steps I took (and the missteps), and some of my thoughts as I went through the process of booking and researching a cruise to Alaska. It also includes my thoughts not only about Alaskan cruises, but at times I discuss cruising and vacationing in general. So be warned. I candidly provide my thoughts on such sensitive topics as Formal Night, Chair Hogs, and Trolls on CC.

I am not exactly a newbie to cruising, although eight cruises under my belt makes me a cheechako (term for a newcomer in Alaska) to cruising compared to some of my fellow CC members, whose count goes deep into the three figures. However, I have spent enough time talking, writing, and researching cruises where I am knowledgeable about cruising in general – especially on the specific cruise/itinerary I have taken. However, when it came to planning a cruise to Alaska, which is in some ways different from all other cruises I have been on, I can admit that I am/was really a cheechako.

CAVEAT: Although this begins as a discussion of a cruise on another line, it soon becomes a story about RCI and the Serenade of the Seas.

[Note: The format and language of the below journal entries have been reviewed and modified from the original to fit your televisions and be more in-line with a post meant for public consumption. Non-cruise content has also been removed, also tirades about subjects like COVID have been removed due to CC guidelines (unless they have to do with the process – e.g., finding a site to get tested.]

• Like 4

[June 29, 2021]

Planning an Alaskan Cruise

READER’S NOTE: Although this begins as a discussion of a cruise on another line, it soon becomes a story about RCI and the Serenade of the Seas.

Mission: Plan a Cruise to Alaska

T’was early this morning that my DW walks down to my home office I had created in a corner of my basement that also shares space with my “man-cave"  (due to COVID – everyone is still working from home). My beautiful bride of 25 years hands me a colorful NCL brochure and simply states “[t]his looks like a good deal on an Alaskan cruise.  Look into it and book us an Alaskan cruise for next year.” After blowing me a kiss, turns on her heels and walks back up the stairs to her continue her own toils [her office space is upstairs].

I am “that person” in the family that performs all the research and conducts all the arrangements for our travels, be it near or far. Be it a vacation via land or sea, it is up to me to ensure that reservations are made and to ensure that we are able to make the best of the time we have while on vacation.  With the diverse interests of my family, hectic schedules, and age difference of my daughters, there are a lot of moving parts, and it is up to me to fit all of the pieces into the puzzle. It is a task I take seriously, for memories are to be made and thereafter remembered and revered as special times in our lives.

For week-long vacations or longer, my family would expect a tome of no less than 25-pages highlighting the itinerary and crammed with those points of interest I deem most important for them to know. [My own document of notations is dozens of pages longer.] Even though I provide them this document, they do not all read it through. For them, the most important facts are: the length of stay and the weather (a matter of utmost importance – so they will know what they need to wear).

My research is very thorough and of course, will include alternative plans B and C in case things do not as planned – which they never do.  Not every decision is made by me, part of the planning a group discussion of the major decisions (after I had performed most of the research). For this vacation, the first (and major decision) was to be deciding between the ship and the itinerary.  It is a family cruise, and I believe it is important to make everyone in the family happy.

An Hour of Planning can Save you 10 Hours of Doing.

[Dale Carnegie]

Although it seems as though I have spent the equivalent of eighty years performing research for our ocean-bound vacations, I have only sailed on eight cruises [my DW has been on a few more].  The planners and researchers out there know the pains and the tireless hours we take to mold a perfect holiday for us and our families.  I look at all aspects of the cruise from almost every angle. From the most conducive time to travel to a particular destination, to the finest ships/lines that will meet our purposes, to the cost and (actual) time we can travel. [Having daughters in college and high school, and with myself and my DW having work constraints, our travel is usually limited to a specific one- or two-week window.] I consolidate all that I have accumulated then analyze all the data from a perspective of what is best for us, as a family. 

Opinions (Yours and Mine)

Everyone has their opinion about what is best; and what is great about the CruiseCritic community is that we get to read the opinions from a large assortment of our fellow travelers so we can make an informed decision about what is best for us. Sorry, I am not going to immediately follow the advice of what one person/poster thinks, but when 15, 20, 50 strangers provide their views (along with other research), it provides the researcher with a good idea of whether this may be the right choice (and can be used as a guideline).

I will note that there are a few members on these boards whose opinions I have valued in the past [hopefully they are still around - I was sad to read that Bob, who was one of the best, had retired from posting on CC], but in the long run all opinions (even yours) are taken with a grain of salt.  Yes, that includes my own amazing and most stupendously insightful opinions – I am just as much a stranger to you as you are to me – so only take what I have to say with that same grain of salt. I have different tastes, biases, budgetary constraints, etc. than everyone else, so my opinion and resulting decision is perfect for me.

Just a side note as to opinions: there are some opinions that are held by me to be of more importance than others. I will read them all, but not all opinions are the same and have long ago stopped equating a high number of hits to equal a worthy response.

Opinions that provide some back-up and reasoning are also worth a lot more in my eyes than those that do not.  For instance, when asking whether Cruise Line A or Cruise Line B would be better for a teenager, just stating “Princess” is not worth much when not backed up with any other evidence.  and I don’t care how many hundreds of cruises you have been on – I would like to know why.  In my opinion, I have also found during my research that when it comes to discussions on CC about teenagers, many of individuals posting their opinions on this topic either have never cruised with teenagers, or forgot what it is like to have cruised with teenagers.

No opinion is wrong –you need to remember that everyone is different.

Thankfulness

As is my usual modus operandi for travel reviews, I have a need to express how fortunate I am to once again be able to take my family on another amazing cruise vacation.  Growing up, vacations were usually by car and staying overnights at the houses of friends/family or in a tent (I did not stay in my first hotel (and for only one night) until I was 10); cruises were things that rich people did on the Love Boat. Myself and my DW were not this fortunate when we were young, and we are overly delighted and thankful to to be able to share two of the greatest gifts one can give to my daughters – the gift of travel and gaining new experiences.

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 10

Looking forward to your posts.  Alaska was my very first cruise and it was wonderful!  Saw lots of family groups and even multi-generation ones.  Alaska is such a beautifully unique place that it has something to offer to everyone.

I’m also the travel planner for my family now so I’m sure I’ll get some good ideas from hearing about your approach to it.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

• Like 1

Can't wait to see what comes on your post. Our cruise to Alaska was cancelled in 2020. Then again in 2021. Are now trying for same dates in 2022!! Like you, we've had lots of time to research and think about this trip!  Looking forward to your trip and mine!! Lord willing........

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mailmama said:

Can't wait to see what comes on your post. Our cruise to Alaska was cancelled in 2020. Then again in 2021. Are now trying for same dates in 2022!! Like you, we've had lots of time to research and think about this trip!  Looking forward to your trip and mine!! Lord willing........

Ouch - cancelled two years in a row!!!

[Today]

With less than 100 days to go, the excitement is growing.  I am double-checking to see what needs to be done.  As you will (eventually) read, we have decided upon the excursions for each of the three ports we will be visiting:

• Sitka: Do-it-yourself (DIY) historical and cultural walking tour of the port [I will be posting the trip route and info for each stop in an upcoming post; I have mostly completed my research, just checking a few of the facts (e.g., if Bishop's House will be open this summer) and adding a few side-sights]
  • Juneau: Whale watching.  I know I can't mention the name of the 3rd party vendor, but it is a small boat for 6 tourists and run by an all-woman crew. [Deposit paid]
  • Ketchikan: This was our hardest excursion to decide upon, but we chose the Off-road and canoeing adventure. [Deposit paid - this was through RCI, which was actually cheaper than what the 3rd party vendor was charging on their site.]

Note: one of the members of my party has some issues with heights, so all of the bi-plane & helicopter options were off the table. I also enjoy planning the DIY trips.  I am a lover of history and will provide historical context to each of the sites we stop at or pass.

I am still performing some research on Alaska (as a whole) through reading books as well as articles and videos on the internet. I like to know the history of the places I visit. This includes information on the wildlife we may encounter.

From a planning perspective there are still a few things on my list (e.g., what to do in Vancouver, and believe it or not, I still need to book a hotel).  I am following COVID news around the world for not only the present, but seeing how it may affect this cruise (e.g., Canada reducing some of its restrictions vs. an up-tic of cases in Asia).  I am also researching where to get the COVID tests (if still needed) in my area before we leave and in Vancouver before we fly back. 

• Like 1

June 30, 2021 [Part I]

READER’S NOTE: Although this begins as a discussion of a cruise on another line, it soon becomes a story about RCI and the Serenade of the Seas.

Choosing a Cruise Ship

After checking school and work calendars, we were able to come to a decision as to a date that would work for all of us. Having hurdled this first obstacle, I was able to narrow down my research to cruises that were sailing during the week we had selected.

[PLANNING NOTE: In hindsight this is where my Alaskan vacation inexperience worked against me, I was ONLY searching for cruises out of (or into) Seattle, which was the deportation port on the flyer my DW gave me. I should have included Vancouver in my initial searches (but more on that later).] Some of the factors that went into my decision included:

• With a young adult and older teen in tow, I quickly eliminated the high-end cruise lines. Yes, they looked amazing; and if I only had to pay for myself and my DW (us “old” people), they would have been in contention, but it would not have been the correct match for us as a family.
  • Our budget had eliminated Disney for what it offered (one day I would like to try a Disney cruise)
  • My  (one) experience with Carnival eliminated their ships, even though it was the cheapest of the choices for the mainstream cruise lines (and my wife had cruised Carnival as a college-student, and still things of them as such). This is not a throw-down on the line, but I do not believe it would be the correct choice for us for sailing Alaska
  •  The dates of most other major cruise lines did not align well, except for two.

The two ships and itineraries that would potentially work for us:

• Itinerary #1 – 7 Day Southbound on the 22-year-old Grand Princess (traditional cruising) from Anchorage to Alaska with stops and views of Hubbard Glacier, Glacier National Park, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.
  • Itinerary #2 – 7 Day Roundtrip from Seattle on the 3-year-old Norwegian Bliss (which includes all the bells and whistles) with stops and views of Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Icy Straight Point.

All said and done, the cruise on the Bliss would probably cost us about $1200 less (not including excursions, which would probably include a heftier price tag on the Princess stops, which could potentially bring it to a difference of $2200 between the two itineraries.

After some quick, yet tense (tense on my part) discussions with my family, I was outvoted as to which itinerary we were to choose. They opted for the newer ship and the potential of there being more younger people in their age ranges, which would make for a potentially better overall vacation experience. After a defeat of 3-1 (probably 4-1 if the dog could vote), I went back to Cruise Critic and the internet looking for more information to try to sway them. Yes, the major difference is that the Bliss did not go to the National Park, but as a teen and young adult, they believed that having more fun on the entire cruise outweighed a few hours at the one stop (and my DW agreed with them).

All is not yet lost. Total defeat has not occurred, and a late game victory was still a possibility. I still had a day to try to convince them to choose the “itinerary” over the “ship.” That night, and early the next morning, I found and forwarded them articles to bolster my case.  However, in the democratic system in which will decide this trip, I will abide by their decision. [Note: the NCL deal was over at midnight of the following evening, so there was not much time.]

A man who keeps company with glaciers comes to feel tolerably insignificant by and by.”

[Mark Twain]

Although we will vote on this again (I even forwarded everyone links to articles on the different glaciers and what they may or may not see on each itinerary), I will adhere to the results of the democratic voting process, which I am sure will be the Norwegian itinerary.  In the case of a tie, my DW will make the final decision.

In preparation for our final showdown, I prepared a basic list of the pros and cons for each ship and their associated itineraries. I believe I was fair in my assessments:

Pros and Cons

Norwegian Bliss & Itinerary

Pros:

• All the bells and whistles of a modern large cruise ship
  • Less overall cost
  • Potentially a lot more older teens and young adults (there may be a formalized 18-25 gathering – at least it is on old Dailies)
  • The Sweet Korean Chili BBQ wings at Local Bar and Grill and the different flans for dessert

Cons:

• BOGO Airfare: Price includes a BOGO airfare, which means they chose the airline, the day, and the flight times (and if there is a layover or not). Nor can you choose your seats in advance, or if your family will be sitting together.
  • Would not see any of Seattle
  • From my research, the lesser of the glacier sites to see compared to the other itinerary

Grand Princess & Itinerary

Pros:

• Princess has a lot more experience with Alaskan cruises
  • Traditional cruising (for some)
  • Possibility of pre- or post- stay Anchorage and/or Vancouver
  • Seeing “better” glaciers & National Park
  • Longer jogging tracks (3.1 laps = 1 mile vs. 8 laps on Bliss)

Cons:

• Much older ship (will be 24 years old at time of sailing)
  • Probably not as many older teens or young adults. Yes, I know, some of you would see this as a Pro, but my daughters would like to meet and hang out some friends on the cruise.
  • The cost is at least $1100, and that is not including some of the more expensive excursions on this itinerary.

Other considerations:

• Entertainment – Not sure of which will have better.  I had already saw Million Dollar Quartet on out last cruise – it was an amazing show (especially on a cruise ship), although Six looks interesting. Bliss also has the Cavern Club, and as a big Beatles fan, that is a plus (although cannot see myself waiting 1 ½ hours for the show).  I found the NCL shows very crowded on the Getaway, which was not a big selling point for me to return. We have never sailed Princess, so do not know what to expect.  Go Karts and Laser Tag are cool, but not a big draw for me as far as an attraction on a cruise (unless I get to do it with my family). Too bad Bliss does not have Dueling Pianos. Grand Princess has their own traditional cruise-type musical entertainment. They both have the usual comedians, magicians, etc. Grand does has the traditional things to do like a basketball court and mini golf.
  • Food & Dining – On our last Norwegian Cruise, I did not have an issue with the food (my DW thought it was just okay) – I cannot remember anything else I ate on the cruise except for the chili wings (Local) and flan (MDH), which were standouts.  Princess (via online) does seem to have better food, but that is all subjective.  The Bliss also has a great deal more of the Premium dining places, but I have, as of yet, never thought that the upcharge was worth it (I will go into this more in a later post).  Yes, there are a lot passengers that would completely disagree with this statment.

4 or 5 States to Go – Another NCL Pro

I did not want to bring it up to my family, but a personal pro for me is that the Bliss itinerary departs from the State of Washington, and ports in the State of Alaska – two states that neither I, nor my family, have ever had the pleasure to visit.  It might be rebellious for me to publicly say on these boards, but myself and my family have done a lot of travelling and taken the majority of our that were not on a cruise ship (both domestically and abroad). With the completion of the Bliss itinerary, I will have visited 46 of the 50 amazing states of this union [If curious, the four left to go are: Oregon, North Dakota, and Montana remain along with the very distant Hawaii (and we were so, so close to Montana when visiting Yellowstone).]  

Our decision to be announced in the next post (although by the title of this thread, you already know that we will eventually jump ship and wind up on the Serenade). . . . .

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

Pick the ship that goes through Glacier Bay and goes to Hubbard Glacier............ Don't make your  pick dependent on the ship........Glaciers and scenery is what an Alaska Cruise is all about.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

DH favors salmon but I do not like it very well. However, I must admit that the salmon grilled in Alaska (took the small sea plane in Juneau over the 5 glaciers and landed at a remote resort only accessed by water) was absolutely delicious, which is either because of the way they cooked it or the ambiance of the area! From the plane, the glaciers resembled the ocean, as you could not see the end of the ice and the deep blue waterfalls from up there were jaw dropping! Sorry for someone's fear of heights but I just had to mention it! We cruised on the RCCL Radiance from Seward to Vancouver for 7 nights with a pre-cruise land tour from Fairbanks to Anchorage to Seward for a total of 3 days. Wish we would have done the 6-day land tour. Inside Alaska is beautiful, so plan to go back again! Try to see as much of the areas as time permits and, if you can't, you will definitely want to return!! Bon Voyage and cheers to you and fam!!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Pick the ship that goes through Glacier Bay and goes to Hubbard Glacier............ Don't make your  pick dependent on the ship........Glaciers and scenery is what an Alaska Cruise is all about.

This was one of the biggest questions for our vacation.  But with a teen and young adult, it is the ship that counts -- well not really which ship per se, but the demographics on the ship. In hindsight (so far), I am glad we jumped ship to RCI/Serenade, which provides us with that younger vibe (for our daughters) and also provides us with that itinerary compromise.  Although we will not see Glacier Bay (yes, I know it is a National Park and supposed to be amazing), we do get to see Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier), and the possibility of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. 

I do completely understand your opinion, and I know many that share it.  However, it is a family vacation (and partly a graduation gift for my daughters), so we had decided upon a vacation that was best for all of us. If I was just going only with my DW, besides being half the cost, I would enjoy and itinerary that would arriving in Anchorage a few days pre-cruise so I could visit some of the National Parks further in-state, then take a Southbound that stops through both Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

DH favors salmon but I do not like it very well. However, I must admit that the salmon grilled in Alaska (took the small sea plane in Juneau over the 5 glaciers and landed at a remote resort only accessed by water) was absolutely delicious, which is either because of the way they cooked it or the ambiance of the area! From the plane, the glaciers resembled the ocean, as you could not see the end of the ice and the deep blue waterfalls from up there were jaw dropping! Sorry for someone's fear of heights but I just had to mention it! We cruised on the RCCL Radiance from Seward to Vancouver for 7 nights with a pre-cruise land tour from Fairbanks to Anchorage to Seward for a total of 3 days. Wish we would have done the 6-day land tour. Inside Alaska is beautiful, so plan to go back again! Try to see as much of the areas as time permits and, if you can't, you will definitely want to return!! Bon Voyage and cheers to you and fam!!

Thank you for your insight!

I would have loved to take a helicopter ride. I have taken them before (e.g., the one over Niagara Falls is amazing - it brings a whole new perspective to the falls and the area), but it is a family trip, so we decided upon what we all wanted to do.  Not to mention the price of those excursions per person (times four).

Someone on my Roll Call is doing the landing on a glacier and salmon bake excursion.  Sounds amazing.  As someone who loves fishing (and eating fish), it would have been a fun experience. My DW is a picky eater, but loves salmon (from gravlax & lox to raw sashimi), so hoping to have some salmon while visiting.

If my DW enjoys this cruise, another trip to Alaska is definitely in store for us (sans our daughters) at some point in the future, and I think I mentioned it in my previous post, it would not be on a cruise, but by car, bus, and air visiting some of the National Parks. [We do enjoy visiting National Parks - Another land trip visiting friends and a few National Parks out Midwest (CG to Grand Teton) is in the near future - for those that never made the journey, is always an amazing trip, and I can warn you from my experience do not go in the middle of the summer. Dry heat or not, it is HOT!]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travel R said:

This was one of the biggest questions for our vacation.  But with a teen and young adult, it is the ship that counts -- well not really which ship per se, but the demographics on the ship. In hindsight (so far), I am glad we jumped ship to RCI/Serenade, which provides us with that younger vibe (for our daughters) and also provides us with that itinerary compromise.  Although we will not see Glacier Bay (yes, I know it is a National Park and supposed to be amazing), we do get to see Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier), and the possibility of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. 

I do completely understand your opinion, and I know many that share it.  However, it is a family vacation (and partly a graduation gift for my daughters), so we had decided upon a vacation that was best for all of us. If I was just going only with my DW, besides being half the cost, I would enjoy and itinerary that would arriving in Anchorage a few days pre-cruise so I could visit some of the National Parks further in-state, then take a Southbound that stops through both Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

Still a little confused here as to what you said, you  kind of went for the ship? But Serenade isn't one of  Royal's mega ships that keeps passengers busy with things to do and see.

Don't get me wrong though there are some great viewing areas on the Serenade for an Alaska Cruise But I think from what you are saying you may have been better off with Ovation of the Seas.

The times we  have  been  on Radiance  class ships is because it seems to have an older crowd  which is fine with us because we don't really  need  all  the mega size ships that offer so much more for younger passengers.

Nevertheless I'm sure you will  all  have a great time together as a family and have memories that will  last a lifetime.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Still a little confused here as to what you said, you  kind of went for the ship? But Serenade isn't one of  Royal's mega ships that keeps passengers busy with things to do and see.

Agreed.  I wouldn't describe the Serenade as having all the 'bells & whistles'.  It is a lovely ship, and since the OP is already booked and committed to sailing her, there is no sense in CCer's making alternate ship/itinerary suggestions.  That said, the OP's blog is a nice read.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting your journal - can't wait to read more.  Alaska is a beautiful place to visit.  May your visit be filled with lots of wonderful memories.

BTW, does your Juneau whale watching vendor begin with a "J"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Agreed.  I wouldn't describe the Serenade as having all the 'bells & whistles'.  It is a lovely ship, and since the OP is already booked and committed to sailing her, there is no sense in CCer's making alternate ship/itinerary suggestions.  That said, the OP's blog is a nice read.

Clarification: The story from 9 months ago begins with NCL Bliss vs. Grand Princess.  The Bliss had all of the bells and whistles - but not the glaciers (neither Hubbard or Glacier Bay).  In about 2-3 posts, you will read that we had cancelled Bliss and then chose to book the RCI Serenade.  Agreed, it does not have all of stuff on the mega ships, but it became a discussion on the potential demographics between Bliss and the Grand Princess (which was important to my daughters) and the fact that they did not have (at that time) what we were looking for in terms of cabins (which was important to me).

• Like 1