Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips
,

Supplemental insurance question (independent post cruise extension)


Recommended Posts

We are doing a cruise to Antarctica and plan to go to Buenos Aires for a few days after the cruise is completed. We have Tripmate insurance through Viking that covers the cruise and flights, but it does not cover the deviation as it is not a Viking excursion (Viking isn’t offering one to BA, even though they fly us through there from Ushuaia). Per Tripmate, we cannot pay to add days and when I looked at Allianz they said we’d need to take a second policy for the entire trip.
 
Any recommendations on a company to look into for those extra days? We are mostly concerned about health coverage.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have other trips planned for the next 365 days, you might want to look into an annual travel medical policy.  We (thankfully) never had to call on our GeoBlue policy in the two years we lived nomadically.  I doubt it would be cheaper for a one off, but if you can use it rather than separate travel policies in the next year it could be a solution. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, The Other Tom said:

A lot of people find policies on insuremytrip.com, where you can compare policies and prices.

I'm not sure Allianz participates in insuremytrip, but a lot of people seem to favor Allianz.

And, what @CILCIANRQTS said.

I’ll look into insuremytrip, thanks.
 

I already had been in contact with Allianz, who said we’d need to buy the policy for the entire trip to cover those three days. As we already have Tripmate for everything but those days it isn’t a viable option. 
 

also, TBH, I’ve used Allianz previously and they were a pain to work with and impossible to get a claim paid when needed.

Edited by noe4laj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

If you have other trips planned for the next 365 days, you might want to look into an annual travel medical policy.  We (thankfully) never had to call on our GeoBlue policy in the two years we lived nomadically.  I doubt it would be cheaper for a one off, but if you can use it rather than separate travel policies in the next year it could be a solution. 

I don’t have another trip planned, so probably not a viable

option. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, noe4laj said:

I’ll look into insuremytrip, thanks.
 

I already had been in contact with Allianz, who said we’d need to buy the policy for the entire trip to cover those three days. As we already have Tripmate for everything but those days it isn’t a viable option. 
 

also, TBH, I’ve used Allianz previously and they were a pain to work with and impossible to get a claim paid when needed.

Hmmmm...I'm not an insurance expert, but maybe your extension would count as a second trip?  That way, you could get insurance for a few days.

Maybe the folks on this website can advise you:

Travel Insurance - Compare and Buy Trip Insurance Online

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of thoughts.

Why not cancel or refuse to accept the insurance provided by Viking and get a 3rd party policy on your own for the entire trip.

 

or

 

Just get a medical only policy for the entire trip.

 

of course one of your issues may be if you require a waiver for pre-existing conditions since these usually require purchase within X number of days of first payment. A lot of depends on your country and state/province of residence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, klfrodo said:

A couple of thoughts.

Why not cancel or refuse to accept the insurance provided by Viking and get a 3rd party policy on your own for the entire trip.

 

or

 

Just get a medical only policy for the entire trip.

 

of course one of your issues may be if you require a waiver for pre-existing conditions since these usually require purchase within X number of days of first payment. A lot of depends on your country and state/province of residence


Viking already made us pay for the insurance at time we did the cruise deposit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance - Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com - November 2022
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2022
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...