British Isle cruises

Go2See

Hi

Any info about the British Isles cruises would be welcome.  I really want to see Iona and some of the other outer islands.

Also wonder about the walks or excursions- looks like they are all complimentary as they were on the Svalbard expedition (except Kayaking).

How difficult is it to get to Dover from London airports?

The airfare is absurd - so want to make sure it will be an amazing experience ( like gentle walks, sea breezes, water, calm environment)  not so excited about the super huge cruise lines any more.

Please any info is more than I have.

Thank YOU !!!!

7 hours ago, Go2See said:

Hi

Any info about the British Isles cruises would be welcome.  I really want to see Iona and some of the other outer islands.

Also wonder about the walks or excursions- looks like they are all complimentary as they were on the Svalbard expedition (except Kayaking).

How difficult is it to get to Dover from London airports?

The airfare is absurd - so want to make sure it will be an amazing experience ( like gentle walks, sea breezes, water, calm environment)  not so excited about the super huge cruise lines any more.

Please any info is more than I have.

Thank YOU !!!!

Dover is a bit tougher to get to from the London Airports than Southampton which has direct National Express bus service from Heathrow.  You will need to go into central London via bus or the tube and then transfer to another National Express bus at Victoria Coach Station or train at various possible train stations including Victoria.  From Gatwick you can take the Gatwick Express train to Victoria train station and then transfer there to another train to Dover.

Edited by comcox

Hi,

As well as Maud Voyages from Dover there are also primarily Scottish Voyages on the smaller MS Spitsbergen. There have been none to date by either Ship.

I am booked on Spitsbergen's initial voyage next month which travels from Bergen to Glasgow (Greenock) over 13 days with Scottish stops plus Belfast & Peel on Isle of Man.

There are subsequent Spitsbergen Voyages Glasgow-Glasgow (2) and one reverse to my voyage this year and more in 2023. It you are primarily interested in Scottish Islands I'd suggest one of these.

Happy to answer any questions on my Spitsbergen voyage when I get back. Also been on recent Maud Voyage on Norwegian Expedition Voyage.

Dover is a pain to get to for most British based guests (who live N of London) as well as International Visitors. Glasgow Airport is convenient (30-40 min cab?) to Greenock & Hurtigruten are doing transfer coach - maybe only in conjunction with a pre- or post- package in Glasgow/Edinburgh. For Dover they only do transfer from Dover Rail Station.

Kayaking was free on Maud. There were both included excursions & pay-for additional ones. I believe same will apply for British Isles Voyages. There are some details on UK Website though not always easiest to find.

Hope this is helpful,

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

Would love to hear more from you about your experiences onboard "Spitsbergen" and the voyage to all these lovely Hebrides islands. We're booked on that cruise April 2023 - just 13 more months to wait!

Are you planning to stay in Glasgow and/or Greenock before you start on the cruise? We're also mulling about doing that because Hurtigruten's Edinburgh pre-cruise package isn't appealing as well as ridiculously expensive!

Thank you both for responses.  I am thinking of the July MS Maud trip.  It is a little pricey considering the remodel has not  been completed and getting to Dover adds days and expense, however, I was on Fram pre-Covid to Svalbard and loved it!!!

Since this trip leaves from Dover,  it adds two days to the trip because you have to get to Dover and they do  not transfer you.   So not turnkey and a bit less relaxing but hopefully will be doable.   Full disclosure- I am also considering a turnkey Azumara trip from Lisbon to Copenhagen, around the same calendar dates.  But I love the relaxed environment on Hurtigruten, and this itinerary is more interesting to me.  And I have not been on Azumara before.

I would love to hear about the experiences you have on Spitsburgen.  And I appreciate the info about London to Dover.  

I will be waiting to hear of any reports as these itineraries get going this spring.