Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome to American.   I think this only reinforces the need of International Travelers to have travel insurance that covers medical.  

The clipboard lady is there to try to get as much revenue as possible but reality it is against the law to turn away anyone that comes into the ER.   After initial treatment and stabilization they may transfer you to a County Hospital which is much more crowded but they handle lots of uninsured and undocumented patients.    They just won't tell you that.

On the positive side my middle daughter required a Bone Barrow Transplant some 30 years ago and It cost well over 1.5 Million.   I didn't pay a penny out of pocket.   The procedure was done at Stanford University Lucile Packard Children's Hospital.   One of the most remarkable hospitals. 

We didn't have any issues with having to pay, and our travel insurance reimbursed everything - even several months later when we received a 'final demand' for additional charges, for which we'd never received the initial demand!  

Our hospitals also have revenue people who try to collect payments from those not entitled to NHS treatment, particularly overseas visitors who should have travel insurance.  However, they are never the first person you see when you arrive seeking help.  Medical attention is priority, as I believe it should always be.

Well getting close ending our self imposed isolation we decided to take a drive to Stonehenge.

We made an accidental discovery the I don't believe many of our English members may know about.   I plugged in my iPhone into the USB connector on our Peugeot 203 and up the screen popped on our dashboard.    I put in Stonehenge Visitor Center.  

Beautiful road trip through the New Forest.  

As we were getting close to the destination I saw Stonehenge on our left and Apple Maps said make a left turn in 300 feet.   I of course slowed down and turned onto a gravel path.   Looking at Iain in amazement I said where the h*ll is this thing sending me.   Oh well since there was no room to turn around I continued on and drove past the entrance to a wide spot were there were 20-30 cars and caravan parked.   OK.   I was expecting a big visitor Center.  We later learned it was the little know Stonehenge Public Footpath. 

866EF094-A42A-4A57-ADB9-35CFBC4F5AAD.thumb.jpeg.5bfa157cc99490b0cb32cecde4cbb18e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good news..  This morning I tested NEGATIVE.     This disease is really weird.   I awoke to this morning after a sold sleep and my cough was gone and I felt great.    Sitting around watching the News (KPIX San Francisco via YoutTubeTv and a VPN) and sipping coffee I decided to do one of the test as I have a supply arriving via mail today. 

I almost want to run up and swab Iain's nose while he still sleeps.  

This is very good news after 5 days of anguish, have a great time at Stonehenge if you have time you can go to Winchester and/or King Arthur

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well getting close ending our self imposed isolation we decided to take a drive to Stonehenge.

We made an accidental discovery the I don't believe many of our English members may know about.   I plugged in my iPhone into the USB connector on our Peugeot 203 and up the screen popped on our dashboard.    I put in Stonehenge Visitor Center.  

Beautiful road trip through the New Forest.  

As we were getting close to the destination I saw Stonehenge on our left and Apple Maps said make a left turn in 300 feet.   I of course slowed down and turned onto a gravel path.   Looking at Iain in amazement I said where the h*ll is this thing sending me.   Oh well since there was no room to turn around I continued on and drove past the entrance to a wide spot were there were 20-30 cars and caravan parked.   OK.   I was expecting a big visitor Center.  We later learned it was the little know Stonehenge Public Footpath. 

866EF094-A42A-4A57-ADB9-35CFBC4F5AAD.thumb.jpeg.5bfa157cc99490b0cb32cecde4cbb18e.jpeg

Reminds me of our GPS equipped car in Ireland a few years ago. We left Dingle heading for Lahinch, following the voice of the GPS. As we neared what I though was the coastline of Lahinch, the GPS took us on a small road and thru an open stretch of farmland. Suddenly, the GPS announced "Welcome to Lahinch". I got out of the car, and as far as I could see in all directions was farm land. I looked at Linda and my son Patrick, and said 'Where the F**k is the Ocean?"

Turns out the GPS had no idea where we were, but I found out it was private property.  So it was fall back to our map book and 1/2 hour later made it to the town of Lahinch. 

Edited by runningtide

We parked and walked back about 200 feet where there were two paths,  one outside a roped off path and the other there was a docent.   She asked us if we had tickets and we said no.   She informed us we could stay on public path but to come a bit closer you need a ticket.   

I asked where I get a ticket to which she replied I could take the free Shuttle  bus to the Visitor Center and then either walk back or take the shuttle.   I said to Iain let's not bother.   She smiled and said I'm going to turn around and didn't see you slip by me.    We all laughed and we went in.

The only reason we visited was to stay away from people which was really easy as it was rather quiet.

Iain last visited 50 years ago and that time said he must have come down the same road as the just parked and walked up to it.   At the time you could actually touch the stones and walk amongst them.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, runningtide said:

Reminds me of our GPS equipped car in Ireland a few years ago. We left Dingle heading for Lahinch, following the voice of the GPS. As we neared what I though was the coastline Lahinch, the GPS took us on a small road and thru an open stretch of farmland. Suddenly, the GPS announced "Welcome to Lahinch". I got out of the car, and as far as I could see in all directions was farm land. I looked at Linda and my son Patrick, and said 'Where the F**k is the Ocean"

Turns out the GPS had no idea where we were, but I found out it was private property.  So it was fall back to our map book and 1/2 hour later made it to the town of Lahinch. 

LOL -- we were laughing because we once had another GPS glitch.   We were on the Canary Islands and were driving to a Cavern.   It had us turn down a gravel road that turned to dirt that turned to ruts an then a steep cliffs only a jeep might be about to negotiate.    It sent us the the back entrance instead of the public entrance.

The free public access path to Stonehenge is only about 25 feet from the condoned off path and has just as good of views.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good news Iain is now negative this morning also so maybe Winchester tomorrow.    We still plan on being masked up regardless of our testing and status.  Just prudent.

• Like 30

Good to see you visiting Wiltshire!  If you get a spare few hours try to pop into Salisbury to visit the Cathedral and see the best surviving copy of the Magna Carta (there are four originals).  While you are in The Close you could visit Prime Minister Edward Heath's old house (I'm not sure if its reopened yet though) as there are some very interesting items there gifted by the likes of Richard Nixon and world leaders of that era. Mr Heath was big on pandas and sailing so lots of bits connected with them too.

Thrilled to see you are both testing free, meaning all systems go for Scotland later.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good news Iain is now negative this morning also so maybe Winchester tomorrow.    We still plan on being masked up regardless of our testing and status.  Just prudent.

Such great news.  I continue to enjoy your journey even though you are not on ship. Thanks for continuing to post your adventures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ecslady said:

Such great news.  I continue to enjoy your journey even though you are not on ship. Thanks for continuing to post your adventures.

We are just considering it a long Excursion.   I've wanted to stop and see Stonehenge for years and just by fate got to scratch it off my bucket list.

• Like 11

Now you locals are going to get a good laugh at me.   As we were driving through New Forest i said look a stack of 3 Big Sows had been hit by a car next to a gate.  

On the way back into town they were up milling around,  I guess they were just napping earlier.   Iain had a good laugh at me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Such great news.  Congratulations.  Enjoy the rest of your adventure.  You have made a nice recovery from the bad situation.  

My wife and I are “older”.  We not feel we can afford to wait until the Covid uncertainty is eliminated.  We continue to take the risk.  

Hopefully you will forgive Celebrity for their short comings during these challenging times.  You and Iain have had so many wonderful cruises with Celebrity.  Perhaps they will continue. I predict that you will try again.  

• Like 2

My time to make afternoon tea, only to be disparaged that I didn’t do it properly.  Good help is hard to find. 

I guess I was supposed to put a dollop of Jam and Clotted Cream on each half.  Oh well it tasted just as good. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome to American.   I think this only reinforces the need of International Travelers to have travel insurance that covers medical.  

The clipboard lady is there to try to get as much revenue as possible but reality it is against the law to turn away anyone that comes into the ER.   After initial treatment and stabilization they may transfer you to a County Hospital which is much more crowded but they handle lots of uninsured and undocumented patients.    They just won't tell you that.

On the positive side my middle daughter required a Bone Barrow Transplant some 30 years ago and It cost well over 1.5 Million.   I didn't pay a penny out of pocket.   The procedure was done at Stanford University Lucile Packard Children's Hospital.   One of the most remarkable hospitals. 

What surprised me wasn't the hospital wanting to ensure that they would be paid (we should do the same in the UK) but keeping my wife outside in the street until they had the proof.

Once inside I did see the sign about free emergency treatment and discussed this later with the doctor ( who said from the outset that he had worked in the UK for a number of years and had an English sense of honour) and his responses where:

1) to where we had eaten " oh yes Sizzlers,  the amount of work I get from them I should pay commission".

2) yes we have to provide free emergency treatment but only to patients in the hospital. By doing the checking in the street you are "not in the hospital".

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess I was supposed to put a dollop of Jam and Clotted Cream on each half.  Oh well it tasted just as good. 

And then there is the age old debate of whether cream first, then jam or jam first then cream. You have past the first hurdle of using Clotted Cream  😊

• Haha 2

We used GPS when we did a two week driving trip around Ireland.  We were headed somewhere and GPS turned us down little dirt “roads” that were wide enough for one car, barely, with bushes brushing both sides of the car.  Not just one, but multiple roads.  We were a little concerned at first and then started laughing, wondering where on earth we would end up and I’ll be darned if we didn’t end up exactly where we were supposed to be.  

But, we have also ended up in the States on gravel roads that end at a wall.  Go figure.

Joanie

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

And then there is the age old debate of whether cream first, then jam or jam first then cream. You have past the first hurdle of using Clotted Cream  😊

LOL.. Iain likes his Jam first and then the Clotted Cream.    We really enjoy it over here as we are unable to get Clotted Cream in America.   Once in awhile you will see little jars of preserved clotted cream.  Just not the same as the wonderful Devonshire Clotted Cream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We used GPS when we did a two week driving trip around Ireland.  We were headed somewhere and GPS turned us down little dirt “roads” that were wide enough for one car, barely, with bushes brushing both sides of the car.  Not just one, but multiple roads.  We were a little concerned at first and then started laughing, wondering where on earth we would end up and I’ll be darned if we didn’t end up exactly where we were supposed to be.  

But, we have also ended up in the States on gravel roads that end at a wall.  Go figure.

Joanie

On the way back I put in a parking lot that takes our Long Stay Pass.    It sent me down a road -  I could see the lot but there were 4 bollards separating us from the lot.  

On the positive side when Iain still worked in SF,  I use to put in his address when coming for an overnight stay and it would send me some of the strangest routes I would have never thought of to avoid the traffic.  

Well just booked another "Cruise" for tomorrow.    Well actually 2 -- One to Isle of Wight and a return in the afternoon.    I wonder if we can get "room service".   

image.thumb.png.37848c1c7c28f379fb82509c5fc426de.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4