WiFi Q & A: Device use, Apps, Locations & more!

Lufrit

On 1/28/2022 at 12:04 AM, CruiserBruce said:

I wouldn't count of streaming quality wifi ability. Might be very choppy reception.

I was on Ruby Princess in Nov 2019. First between Sydney and Hobart and secondly between Sydney and Fiji. Ruby had MedallionNet installed.

It was excellent from all locations. Streamed Netflix no problems, even VPN'ed back to Australia to get ABC News over iView online. I don't know how that would relate to the mid-Pacific, but given that it's delivered by MEO satellites, I would be surprised if it was much different.

I was on Majestic in Feb 2020 and internet was abysmal. Majestic lacked MedallionNet at that time.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't know how that would relate to the mid-Pacific, but given that it's delivered by MEO satellites

I believe the driving factor is latitude.  My gut suggests that ground  stations are positioned to serve any location within the claimed coverage zone.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:20 PM, jalves said:

Interesting question.  I have AirTags on my luggage and recently cruised on the Allure.  However, I never needed to check on the luggage location so I didn't look at the Find My app.  

Wondering about other's experiences.  

On my recent Celebrity  Reflection sailing I was able to see where my luggage was before it was delivered to the room.  Well, not precisely, but in general.  I could tell it was on the ship somewhere, just not specifically where.  

On 2/1/2022 at 5:10 PM, jalves said:

On my recent Celebrity  Reflection sailing I was able to see where my luggage was before it was delivered to the room.  Well, not precisely, but in general.  I could tell it was on the ship somewhere, just not specifically where.  

Yes - But - It reads like you were still in port - so everybody still had their cell-phones active - and the bags/AirTags were reacting to actively connected cellphones. Different story when out at sea with many people have their phones shut off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We currently have Straight Talk phones and have been happy with this inexpensive option for more than 10 years. Now that we're both nearly retired, I see our overseas travel (sans WWIII, pray God 😶) increasing. We'd like to switch plans and phones, but need to know the most foolproof carrier while we learn to navigate the phone in international areas. We'd like a plan that can bump temporarily to an international plan while on vacation. We can't justify an annual plan that includes the international calls, though I'll certainly entertain ideas of those plans as well if they're reasonably priced. Verizon? ATT? Thanks for the help

Posted (edited)

We pay $60 for two phones on TMobile. They use the same telecommunications system as in Europe. So, no extra expense with texting and sending photos.

When you arrive in the foreign country, TMobile sends you a message that the system is available as part of your package.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We've had good luck with international access in Europe with our Verizon accounts. You can turn international on and a couple of different ways (our experience) either full access for duration of trip or a daily use fee (use it, pay a fee, good for 24 hours ..... goes off again)

But have noticed T-Mobile IS big dog in parts of Europe we've visited BUT son tried them here in US and was very unhappy . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I say T-Mobile without question. Its amazing to land anywhere in the world for the most part (North Korea excepted) and have data and phone coverage before even getting to gate all included as part of their regular plans.  Faster data is nominal fee compared to other carriers too. 

with respect to coverage, it has been night and day compared to even two years ago. Especially with a 5g phone. It’s extremely rare for me nowadays to not have 5g coverage on T-Mobile even on long drives and almost never no coverage.   For international coverage, it is absolutely exceptional also. 

i also have Verizon and AT&T lines and I prefer T-Mobile without question by a long margin especially with international travel. 

also, if you’re 55 and older or a veteran T-Mobile offers you a discounted plan

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 1

Most carriers have plans where your service is extended into countries for $10/day for any day you actually use the phone. AT&T and Verizon do. The plans are "idling" in the background, they only become active if your phone contacts a cell tower in a different country, then the plan is active for 24 hours. If you plan carefully, you get coverage for much of 2 days for that $10.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RollingMeadows said:

I live in a very remote area and I'm wondering if TMobile has an antenna out here. That's worth looking into. What about calling? I would want calling as well.

I can't use T-Mobile at home otherwise I would probably use them. I am using AT&T and travel with someone on Verizon. Both roam well and have the $10 travel passes.  AT&T does not  require a travel pass in Mexico since they own a carrier there.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Calls on TMobile used to be 5 cents a minute. Not sure if that is still accurate.

I think it’s 25 cents a minute with T-Mobile. But with WiFi calling it’s free to/from a U.S. number. Just be aware if you’re in say China and call Chinese number from T-Mobile they’ll charge book rates for international as if you’re calling international from the US even while using WiFi calling. 

I typically use FaceTime voice calling when I’m traveling abroad which is totally free using the free international free data. 

But if I have to make international call while abroad, I typically just use Google voice over the free T-Mobile data because their rates are much better. 

but remember for those who consider T-Mobile vs other carriers, T-Mobile has totally free/included international data and text messages (speed capped at 128 or 256 kpbs) without having to do anything or pay anything….that’s really key difference to other carriers…

I’d also give the coverage map a check. You might be surprised how much it covers even compared to mere couple of years ago. They are years ahead on 5g coverage vs any other carrier too. Mostly because they pretty much have monopoly on mid-range 5g bands that gives a really good balance between speed vs distance of reception. 
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I can't use T-Mobile at home otherwise I would probably use them. I am using AT&T and travel with someone on Verizon. Both roam well and have the $10 travel passes.  AT&T does not  require a travel pass in Mexico since they own a carrier there.

For AT&T, Canada is also part of the plans...no travel pass required. Was just in Mexico the couple of weeks, used phone, no issues, no additional costs.

15 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

I’d also give the coverage map a check. You might be surprised how much it covers even compared to mere couple of years ago. They are years ahead on 5g coverage vs any other carrier too. Mostly because they pretty much have monopoly on mid-range 5g bands that gives a really good balance between speed vs distance of reception. 
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

The T-Mobile map shows coverage where I live but I tested it with my iPad, bought a T-Mobile data  and got one bar and could not connect. As for the 5G coverage thay are ahead because they got  the bands when they bought Sprint but AT&T and Verizon have obtained mid band 5G bands which are starting to come into service so the advantage will disappear. Right now 5G is pretty much hype on all carriers. Most users don't need it yet and a lot don't have 5G capable phones yet. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The T-Mobile map shows coverage where I live but I tested it with my iPad, bought a T-Mobile data  and got one bar and could not connect. As for the 5G coverage thay are ahead because they got  the bands when they bought Sprint but AT&T and Verizon have obtained mid band 5G bands which are starting to come into service so the advantage will disappear. Right now 5G is pretty much hype on all carriers. Most users don't need it yet and a lot don't have 5G capable phones yet. 

Did you test with 5g iPad?  Reason why ask is T-Mobile LTE for me was spotty and some states like Mississippi, it was really really bad, but 5g really changed the game for me and all former LTE dead spots i used to have are now gone. My job involves a lot work travel, so hence why I have all 3 carriers and a imarsat phone…For me, what I like the best about 5g was more about enhanced coverage rather than speed. But I’ll take the 500-700 mpbs download as a bonus 😁 

I don’t have a stake in T-Mobile. Again, I also have Verizon and AT&T.  For international for the OP, I would take T-Mobile any day over either Verizon or AT&T. The fact I won’t have to worry about any additional fees (except for calls which I avoid by using  FaceTime voice or Google voice over data) at 210 countries is really nice.

Link to tmobiles senior plans for the op:

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans

Edited by FrostyJoe

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Did you test with 5g iPad?  Reason why ask is T-Mobile LTE for me was spotty and some states like Mississippi, it was really really bad, but 5g really changed the game for me and all former LTE dead spots i used to have are now gone. 

Yes. I have an IPad Mini 6 with 5G. The signal shows mid band 5G but the one bar is not enough for the internet connection. Nothing loads. 

49B0606F-45FE-4ABE-88AD-8579FDBEE9AA.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

Taking the Jewel transatlantic in April.  We will have WIFI in our after cruise hotel rooms.  My question is will we be able to use our iPhone and tablets to access the internet in order to do the Emed tests without having to get a new sim card?  Would be very nice if that happens so we don't have to schedule local tests to return to the US.

56 minutes ago, kreidy said:

Taking the Jewel transatlantic in April.  We will have WIFI in our after cruise hotel rooms.  My question is will we be able to use our iPhone and tablets to access the internet in order to do the Emed tests without having to get a new sim card?  Would be very nice if that happens so we don't have to schedule local tests to return to the US.

As long as you are connected to wifi you don't  need any sim card.

• Like 1

You might also want to check with your cellular provider.  Mine includes basic data and text coverage in Iceland.  Then your phone would work even if you did not have a wifi connection, although I suspect wifi to be both readily available and quicker.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kreidy said:

The emed tests use video and you will use a LOT of data.  Cell phone is probably not your best bet. 

Buy the ships surf and stream for that test day.

If you are D, or D+ there are discounts or free days.

Edited by steveru621

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

The emed tests use video and you will use a LOT of data.  Cell phone is probably not your best bet. 

Buy the ships surf and stream for that test day.

If you are D, or D+ there are discounts or free days.

A potential problem with that is that if they are staying in a hotel after the cruise (which they are), then doing a test on the ship would be too far in advance of a return flight.  Anyway, since they are using the hotel's wifi, data usage shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by time4u2go