• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Trip Insurance -only need CFAR

I just booked our trip for next February on a great deal my husband got.  It is a non-refundable $200 deposit. I am trying to decide on whether to buy the Carnival protection or not. Seeing the ups and downs of the past two years makes me really hesitant to book anything non-refundable but this deal was so good, we could not pass it up.  I can't remember what happens after full payment and have an email in to my PVP to see what those penalties would be. 

We both have medical and travel insurance through our work.  Plus the credit card we used covers it as well.  This includes Covid.  Our child will be covered as well. 

My main concern is not being able to travel due to Covid reasons that won't be covered by our current insurance.  We are also in Canada. 

Carnival Protection is $49 per person.  So if we cancel before full payment, we'd get $150 back in FCC.  If we are full paid we'd get $755 in FCC if I have figured correctly. 

I have checked around and am having a hard time finding CFAR insurance in Canada.  

Would the Carnival insurance be worth it?

Most cruise line protection plan benefits are very weak and Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan is arguably the worst cruise line plan out there.  But for your needs, it may be a great choice.

You have already said you have other coverages through work and all you need is CFAR.  As long as you are happy with a 75% FCC for the non-refundable portions of your cruise fare, you will not find a better CFAR deal elsewhere. In the USA, you could get a CFAR plan with  a 75% cash refund, but the premium would be a lot higher than $49.

A couple of reminders if you need to cancel:

• Port taxes and fees will be refunded in cash, so the FCC is for 75% of the rest.
  • Airfare and any other travel costs are not covered under CFAR.
  • The FCC will have an expiration date. I'm not sure about Carnival, but you typically have to book another cruise within a year.  If that might be an issue, you may want to confirm the details.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Most cruise line protection plan benefits are very weak and Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan is arguably the worst cruise line plan out there.  But for your needs, it may be a great choice.

You have already said you have other coverages through work and all you need is CFAR.  As long as you are happy with a 75% FCC for the non-refundable portions of your cruise fare, you will not find a better CFAR deal elsewhere. In the USA, you could get a CFAR plan with  a 75% cash refund, but the premium would be a lot higher than $49.

A couple of reminders if you need to cancel:

• Port taxes and fees will be refunded in cash, so the FCC is for 75% of the rest.
  • Airfare and any other travel costs are not covered under CFAR.
  • The FCC will have an expiration date. I'm not sure about Carnival, but you typically have to book another cruise within a year.  If that might be an issue, you may want to confirm the details.

Thanks!  
That’s what I thought, 75% is pretty much the highest.  We would sail again. 

Airline tickets right now would be able to be changed. My main concern was the cruise fare itself. 
I didn’t  realize that about taxes and fees so that’s actually a bonus. Obviously I’d rather have all the cash back but something is better than nothing. 

• Like 1