Alternative ports if Japan is still closed

FlaMariner

We are on a September 2022 trans Pacific cruise (HAL). 

I'm hearing rumors on our roll call that if Japan is not open then alternative ports would be considered.  

Any guesses as to where the cruise could possibly go and end up if Japan does not want us?

Japan is still struggling with the massive outbreaks at the US Military bases and surrounding areas. They also caught the US Military sending infected troops on commercial flights into and out of Japan. The trust level for foreigners in Japan took quite a hit after that. Japan will remain closed to outsiders for quite some time.

The only alternative ports in the area are China, Taiwan, and South Korea.

Those three countries are also closed to foreigners.

There is a 4th possibility - Russia - but I suspect you will not really consider than one.

Almost the entire Northeast Asia is still closed.

If Japan does not open, it is not likely that HAL can find alternative ports, and the simplest solution is cancelling the whole season of Asia cruises and redeploying Westerdam back to North America.

Or Westerdam can take the southern route: US West Coast > Hawaii > South Pacific > Australia > Singapore. Then it can offer Asia cruises in Singapore / Malaysia / Thailand instead, as these countries will gradually open soon.

Good info...and as I thought....Not many choices.  Actually, no choices based on a 14 day trans-Pacific offerring.

Now it's just the wait game......booked a hotel with a great deal in Yokohama and a cheap airfare home.....(all refundable).  So that's usually signs that the cruise will not go!  LOL.

Final payment is mid June for the cruise.

We are booked on Oceania from LA to Hong Kong in September and final payment due next Wednesday so I am very curious what they will do. They indicated they will not extend final payment deadline and 3 other cruise lines have already cancelled their 2022 Asian cruise. I have a cruise credit from cancelled  cruise in 2020 but they will not let me use credit after 2022 so I am stuck until they decide 

Richard Rehfeldt 

We are on your same cruise and have the same issues. Japan was the main reason we booked it. Pondering what to do. It’s a lot of $$$ to just go to a closed for the season Alaska and back to the US. Anyone’s Crystal all working? I can cancel everything now and get my money back but that goes away next week.

50 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

We are on your same cruise and have the same issues. Japan was the main reason we booked it. Pondering what to do. It’s a lot of $$$ to just go to a closed for the season Alaska and back to the US. Anyone’s Crystal all working? I can cancel everything now and get my money back but that goes away next week.

I wish my Crystal Ball was giving me some info - we've already cancelled two cruises to Japan and had just booked a flight to Guam and then to Tokyo in September (daughter is a Navy nurse on Guam, figured why not hit Japan since we were going to be so close) but it doesn't look like we'll be able to add that week...

So now it looks like we'll fly all that way for a week on a small island.  If our daughter wasn't there, well, we'd be staying home, I'm sure.

PS - sure seems like a lot of people from the Upstate are on this forum...

• Like 1

It looks a though this cruise is now cancelled

tried to book today and it has disappeared from the web site

i suppose that means the return journey back to Seattle next April will also be cancelled 

fed up now 🤔

Just got the notification from Holland America today.......

They have good options....we can go next year and they keep the same fare and all the incentives (it was a very good price with lots of OBC and free tips).  

We can also get $200 in OBC for another cruise this fall...winter...they give a list.

On to the next cruise.........

It is looking less and less likely that Japan will open to foreigners in 2022.

The US Military bases in Japan remain the worst areas for outbreaks.

In the past, every time the Japanese Government took a chance to let foreigners in - they got burned.

The Japanese economy is doing surprisingly well without foreign tourists.

Maybe 2023……….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

It is looking less and less likely that Japan will open to foreigners in 2022.

The US Military bases in Japan remain the worst areas for outbreaks.

In the past, every time the Japanese Government took a chance to let foreigners in - they got burned.

The Japanese economy is doing surprisingly well without foreign tourists.

Maybe 2023……….

We had two cruises canceled for 2022, let's hope for 2023. 

• Like 1

Re-opening Japan to foreigners was on the front page of the Japan Times today.

The Government is still very reluctant to change anything.

In the latest poll, the majority (73%) of Japanese prefer to keep the borders closed until further notice.

For those of us living in Japan (and not in the Japanese Tourism business) it is really nice to be able to easily get around Tokyo without all the throngs of tourists.

6 hours ago, desibee said:

Meanwhile for those who ARE in the Japanese tourism business, their livelihoods are very quickly circling the drain.

Actually, not in most cases.

The Japanese Government has been subsidizing those companies negatively affected by most COVID challenges. Many Japanese tourism companies have pivoted to domestic tourism, which is really flourishing with all the foreign tourists gone.

The biggest losers are the foreign airlines and foreign flag cruise ships.

Oh yeah, I'm sure economically Japan is completely and totally fine even though a significant percentage of their GDP came from tourism in 2019.  The government can totally continue to subsidize into infinity and domestic tourism is definitely plugging the entire gap.  Uh huh.

2 hours ago, desibee said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure economically Japan is completely and totally fine even though a significant percentage of their GDP came from tourism in 2019.  The government can totally continue to subsidize into infinity and domestic tourism is definitely plugging the entire gap.  Uh huh.

You seem very angry about this.

Nah, just not as anti-foreigner as Bruce seems to be about everything, which seems a strange choice for someone on a cruise forum but whatever.

Not that it matters because Japan announced that it's opening up to tourists as soon as next month.  Sorry to disappoint, Bruce.  The awful covidy foreigners will be crowding your lovely streets soon enough.

20 hours ago, desibee said:

Not that it matters because Japan announced that it's opening up to tourists as soon as next month.  

DO you have a source for this statement?  WOuld love it if that really happens.