Jump to content
,

Having to quarantine in another country - Insurance coverage


Recommended Posts

Our main concern when traveling overseas this coming summer is testing positive before returning to the U.S. after our vacation, and having to quarantine in another country.   From what I have read on this forum, and researching insurance policies, I cannot find any that appear to cover the cost of quarantining in a hotel + food.  Medical needs, yes, plenty of coverage for illness or accident.  Any suggestions for a good quarantine policy?

 

Another question that I have not seen mentioned.  We are a family of 4 adults traveling together.  Should only one of us test positive before flying home, does everyone have to stay in quarantine before flying home, or can the others leave the country?  Obviously, one of the spouses would stay and quarantine with the positive person.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It would be my understanding that quarantine because of Covid or quarantine because of Ebola would all be the same.

Quarantine is clearly spelled out on most Trip Interruption and/or Trip Delay explanations or definitions. Depending on the policy and how much you initially insured your trip for (Trip Costs per person) will ultimately determine how much coverage you will receive.

 

I can only use my policy that I go with, Trip Interruption pays up to 150% of trip Costs while Trip Delay was $150 per day up to covered amount. For sailings out of the US, I only insure a Trip Cost of $500 per person.

Edited by klfrodo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All comprehensive travel policies have a trip delay provision. That is the part that will pay for hotel and food if you are delayed by quarantine. Look for a policy with the most generous benefits you are willing to pay for. As klfrodo mentioned, the benefit is expressed in dollars per person, per day with a maximum dollar limit.

 

As for your second question, it depends on the requirements of the country where you disembark. For instance, the UK does not require quarantine but recommends it. In that case those who test negative for the flight could return home. The one who tests positive will remain until he can test negative or qualify for a certificate of recovery, which takes ten days - not in quarantine but you still can’t fly. Just another form of trip delay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the replies.  The problem with the Trip Delay amounts is that they don't seem high enough per day for a decent hotel stay.  Try finding a hotel in London for $150 a day in July. 

BTW - Are those Trip Delay amounts per policy or per person?  If it's per person a day, then that is a bit better.  I cannot tell on the Squaremouth form that I am filling out.  Our hotel rooms are $500 a night (2 rooms) and it's not a lavish hotel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you for the replies.  The problem with the Trip Delay amounts is that they don't seem high enough per day for a decent hotel stay.  Try finding a hotel in London for $150 a day in July. 

BTW - Are those Trip Delay amounts per policy or per person?  If it's per person a day, then that is a bit better.  I cannot tell on the Squaremouth form that I am filling out.  Our hotel rooms are $500 a night (2 rooms) and it's not a lavish hotel.


The trip delay benefits are per person per day with a cap, for example $125  pp pd with a cap of $1,000. There are policies with higher limits . IMG LX offers double that amount. Trawick lets you upgrade the amount for an additional premium, but they all have caps and it may be that none of them will cover all your expenses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great, that makes more sense.  Yes, Trip Delay choices ranged from "$200 or more" to "$2000 or more".  We clicked  the "$1,000 or more" in the Trip Delay column, but as I said, it did not indicate if this was per day, per person, or what!    When we chose the "2,000 or more" option,  our top insurance company picks disappeared.  So now "1,000 or more" per day, per person would be over kill.  "$500 a day  would do the trick.  Thank you so much for that information!  So do you recommend IMG LX?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Great, that makes more sense.  Yes, Trip Delay choices ranged from "$200 or more" to "$2000 or more".  We clicked  the "$1,000 or more" in the Trip Delay column, but as I said, it did not indicate if this was per day, per person, or what!    When we chose the "2,000 or more" option,  our top insurance company picks disappeared.  So now "1,000 or more" per day, per person would be over kill.  "$500 a day  would do the trick.  Thank you so much for that information!  So do you recommend IMG LX?


Sorry if I did not make myself clear. The $1,000 or $2,000 limits shown in the filters of the search are the total cap per person. If you click on the link to the policy, it gives you the per person per day limit.  I think the IMG LX provides $250 pp pd up to $2,500 maximum benefit. Double that for two people on a policy. Policy benefits are usually per person unless stated otherwise.

 

The advantage of IMG LX is that it allows for a pre-existing conditions waiver if you purchase by final payment, if that is of interest to you. Otherwise, IMG is a good company if one of their policies meets your needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should have mentioned earlier that this is not for a cruise.  After 44 cruises, we decided that taking a cruise overseas is not a wise move, currently, so we are just doing land travel.  Having said that, it is hard to define what our "final payment" would be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I should have mentioned earlier that this is not for a cruise.  After 44 cruises, we decided that taking a cruise overseas is not a wise move, currently, so we are just doing land travel.  Having said that, it is hard to define what our "final payment" would be.

 

Who are you going to purchase your insurance from?

They are the people you should be discussing this with, as they can give you the correct answers for your specific type of trip and for whichever policy you are purchasing (or perhaps help compare 2 or 3 policies that might fit your situation).

 

We use Steve (and his associates) at www.TripInsuranceStore.com

We always recommend phoning and NOT just relying upon the online summaries, and in this case, it's probably pretty clear why you need to speak with someone (at TIS or elsewhere) to make sure you don't get a policy that wouldn't have worked well in you need to file a claim.

We've had several insured trips with travel insurance we purchased through Steve/TIS, including several for non-cruise trips.  We've had claims, all paid promptly, and two of those were for land-only trips.

Our coverage, including all claims, has been with Travel Insured.

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have used Travel Insured before. I believe that is who we made a small claim with when my husband had  some breathing treatments while on a cruise in Aus/NZ. 

 

Have also used Steve to help us pick an annual plan.  We did pick a plan with him (and renewed it one more year with great difficulty), but were never 100% sure it was the plan we needed.   Luckily, we did not have to make any claims those two years. 

 

But to answer your question about who we are going to purchase insurance from, that is my question!  We do not know and why I was asking questions here.  These are different times and circumstances.  We like to do a research ourselves before getting on the phone.  Proved to be very helpful with Babr's responses, and also some responses from another thread on CC.  We can now go into looking at plans with a different eye.  Thank you for your recommendation of Travel Insured.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2022 at 2:09 PM, Iamthesea said:

We have used Travel Insured before. I believe that is who we made a small claim with when my husband had  some breathing treatments while on a cruise in Aus/NZ. 

 

Have also used Steve to help us pick an annual plan.  We did pick a plan with him (and renewed it one more year with great difficulty), but were never 100% sure it was the plan we needed.   Luckily, we did not have to make any claims those two years. 

 

But to answer your question about who we are going to purchase insurance from, that is my question!  We do not know and why I was asking questions here.  These are different times and circumstances.  We like to do a research ourselves before getting on the phone.  Proved to be very helpful with Babr's responses, and also some responses from another thread on CC.  We can now go into looking at plans with a different eye.  Thank you for your recommendation of Travel Insured.

Hi iamthesea,

 

If you test positive for covid, you have to see a doctor. I can't speak for all plans, but the ones I know cover covid the same as any illness. This has never changed because epidemics and pandemics were never excluded.

 

n case you haven’t read my blog posts, or the policy wording, you must see a doctor if you test Covid positive because it’s a medical condition.

 

Depending on what the doctor recommends, you can be covered for any of these benefits: Extension of Coverage, Trip Delay, Medical, Emergency Medical Transportation and / or Trip Interruption.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...