Health insurance (not covid or cancelation) for overseas

My husband and I will be on VOV for 35 days and realize our Medicare human policy doesn't cover us at all, out of the country!

We need insurance that will cover us wherever we are out of the USA.   Would also consider an annual policy doing the same.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated and needed.  Thanks.

Pat Fuller 

11 minutes ago, gummapat said:

My husband and I will be on VOV for 35 days and realize our Medicare human policy doesn't cover us at all, out of the country!

We need insurance that will cover us wherever we are out of the USA.   Would also consider an annual policy doing the same.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated and needed.  Thanks.

Pat Fuller 

@gummapat

Howdy Pat and welcome back to the message boards! emo22.gif

Your thread has been moved to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum where it will be on topic. That is where all insurance is discussed.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread or forum where you are interested in new posts or threads. That way you will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on your Followed threads because they will all come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Depends on your expectation.

If you’re looking for medical insurance where you just give them an insurance card and treatment begins,,,, then there is no such thing with 1 minor exception that I’m aware of. The Geoblue annual travel insurance policy does claim to have a network of doctors worldwide. Not sure how complete that network is.

Otherwise, single trip insurance is reimbursement based only also with some minor exceptions. If the medical procedure is major (what defines major?), the insurance company MAY issue a letter of ability to pay. Otherwise, you pay and then file for reimbursement.

May I suggest that you consult with an insurance broker who if you speak directly with them, they can answer question and possibly guide you to a policy that fits your needs.

I use Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com.

There are others though.

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Depends on your expectation.

If you’re looking for medical insurance where you just give them an insurance card and treatment begins,,,, then there is no such thing with 1 minor exception that I’m aware of. The Geoblue annual travel insurance policy does claim to have a network of doctors worldwide. Not sure how complete that network is.

Otherwise, single trip insurance is reimbursement based only also with some minor exceptions. If the medical procedure is major (what defines major?), the insurance company MAY issue a letter of ability to pay. Otherwise, you pay and then file for reimbursement.

May I suggest that you consult with an insurance broker who if you speak directly with them, they can answer question and possibly guide you to a policy that fits your needs.

I use Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com.

There are others though.

GeoBlue has a network that covers, at least, most major cosmopolitan foreign cities. 
Sounds like OP may not have done the research necessary to pick a Medicare supplement that converts to a regular Blue Cross policy when you leave the US. Such policies should coordinate with GeoBlue.

We have such a supplement thanks to retirement benefits. 
Nonetheless, we add an annual MedJet membership that covers MedEvac and purchase a very basic comprehensive travel policy for trip cancel/interrupt protection since credit card coverage and annual trip insurance  limits are woefully inadequate if you cruise a lot annually on premium/luxury lines. Plus -that medical supplements the GeoBlue when/where needed.

OP should have a chat with InsureMyTrip.com and re-evaluate their Medicare supplement.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sounds like OP may not have done the research necessary to pick a Medicare supplement that converts to a regular Blue Cross policy when you leave the US. Such policies should coordinate with GeoBlue

What are these supplement plans and where can I find them? Here is a summary of what I have seen.  Am I missing something?

1. All Medicare Supplement (i.e Medigap) plans must provide the exact same coverage from all insurers based on plan letter.  While some provide limited foreign travel emergency coverage (plans C, D, F, G, M, and N), they do not work the way you describe. Plus they all have a $50K lifetime maximum.
  2. There may be Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare part C) that work the way you describe.  There are a number of reasons these are not the best plans for me, and I would not buy one just for the foreign travel coverage.  The local Blue Cross affiliate does offer seven different Medicare Advantage plans.  None of them work as you describe, and none cover more than $25K per year in "Worldwide Urgently Needed Services".
  3. I am also aware of employer plans that are available to retirees.  Typically these are for former federal, state or local government employees.  These plans can pay most of what Medicare does not cover. I know people who have a variety of these plans and the ones I know are all better than any Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage plan I could purchase  But, they are not available to the general public.

1 hour ago, Jersey42 said:

What are these supplement plans and where can I find them? Here is a summary of what I have seen.  Am I missing something?

1. All Medicare Supplement (i.e Medigap) plans must provide the exact same coverage from all insurers based on plan letter.  While some provide limited foreign travel emergency coverage (plans C, D, F, G, M, and N), they do not work the way you describe. Plus they all have a $50K lifetime maximum.
  2. There may be Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare part C) that work the way you describe.  There are a number of reasons these are not the best plans for me, and I would not buy one just for the foreign travel coverage.  The local Blue Cross affiliate does offer seven different Medicare Advantage plans.  None of them work as you describe, and none cover more than $25K per year in "Worldwide Urgently Needed Services".
  3. I am also aware of employer plans that are available to retirees.  Typically these are for former federal, state or local government employees.  These plans can pay most of what Medicare does not cover. I know people who have a variety of these plans and the ones I know are all better than any Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage plan I could purchase  But, they are not available to the general public.

We would be in your number 3 arena.

As California State University retirees, we have the CalPERS Platinum (PPO) Supplement for Medicare (administered by Anthem Blue Cross). As aforementioned, it converts to the regular Platinum plan whenever you leave the US and coordinates with GeoBlue. And there’s no cost to us for either Medicare (including IRMAA premiums) or the Supplement.

We are so very fortunate that CalPERS is the Gold Standard of employee benefits in the US when it comes to retirement provisions. That said, other governmental and private industry employers may have a somewhat similar choice of Medicare supplement plans on their menu of retirement benefits.Though “fewer and far between,” I would hope that self-employed folks may be able to find/arrange something similar from Insurers like Anthem.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We would be in your number 3 arena.

As California State University retirees, we have the CalPERS Platinum (PPO) Supplement for Medicare (administered by Anthem Blue Cross). As aforementioned, it converts to the regular Platinum plan whenever you leave the US and coordinates with GeoBlue. And there’s no cost to us for either Medicare (including IRMAA premiums) or the Supplement.

We are so very fortunate that CalPERS is the Gold Standard of employee benefits in the US when it comes to retirement provisions. That said, other governmental and private industry employers may have a somewhat similar choice of Medicare supplement plans on their menu of retirement benefits.Though “fewer and far between,” I would hope that self-employed folks may be able to find/arrange something similar from Insurers like Anthem.

That's impressive! What you have is about as good as it gets.  Seems similar to plans my siblings have.  They no longer have to pay premiums and they are reimbursed for their Medicare premiums too.  Plus their employer retiree plans also cover certain things that Medicare does not including foreign travel with no maximums.

For the rest of us who want original Medicare with a Medicare Supplement, you are limited by law to the defined plans.  There are about 10 different plans and they are standardized across all carriers.  Some plans cover foreign emergency travel, but they all cover it in the exact same limited way.  $250 annual deductible, 80%/20% cost sharing and a $50K lifetime max.   If you want more coverage, you need to purchase some kind of travel medical plan

** Three states have their own sets of plans, but if you live in any of the others they are all the same.

30 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

That's impressive! What you have is about as good as it gets.  Seems similar to plans my siblings have.  They no longer have to pay premiums and they are reimbursed for their Medicare premiums too.  Plus their employer retiree plans also cover certain things that Medicare does not including foreign travel with no maximums.

For the rest of us who want original Medicare with a Medicare Supplement, you are limited by law to the defined plans.  There are about 10 different plans and they are standardized across all carriers.  Some plans cover foreign emergency travel, but they all cover it in the exact same limited way.  $250 annual deductible, 80%/20% cost sharing and a $50K lifetime max.   If you want more coverage, you need to purchase some kind of travel medical plan

** Three states have their own sets of plans, but if you live in any of the others they are all the same.

CalPERS has well over 2 million members/survivors receiving retirement benefits. That’s a ton (or three) of purchasing power.