Azamara's Ravenna to Venice Transfers

Jeep61

19 minutes ago, Kimbasmum said:

Once the driver of the coach located the drop off point at the airport, after several circles of the same roundabout, we were quite a walk from the terminal.  There were no trolleys and no assistance.  We struggled.

Couldnt understand why they didn't drop us off outside either. Could have been some Italian rules?  Trolleys would have been good for sure. Apparently we were only the second cruise to do this, here’s hoping they get more organised. 🤞.

Take care . X

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kimbasmum said:

Once the driver of the coach located the drop off point at the airport, after several circles of the same roundabout, we were quite a walk from the terminal.  There were no trolleys and no assistance.  We struggled.

This has been the way at Venice airport for quite a while, one of the reasons we started using a taxi transfer there.

• Like 2

We will certainly bear this in mind if we use Venice Airport again.  I had had a fall in Montenegro and was hobbling, and Husband had a head injury argument with the corner of the bathroom sink resulting in stitches which had to be checked before we were allowed off the ship.  The doctor said that if he became unwell on the coach, just ask them to stop.  Can you imagine!! 

Despite the above we loved the itinerary and enjoyed the mostly pretty ports.  Our favourite lunch place being outside Windows in the sunshine.  We were fortunate to enjoy good weather in the region.

The moral to our experience is to ‘get a taxi to Venice airport’, avoid deep steps in Budva and put the light on in the bathroom!!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kimbasmum said:

We will certainly bear this in mind if we use Venice Airport again.  I had had a fall in Montenegro and was hobbling, and Husband had a head injury argument with the corner of the bathroom sink resulting in stitches which had to be checked before we were allowed off the ship.  The doctor said that if he became unwell on the coach, just ask them to stop.  Can you imagine!! 

Despite the above we loved the itinerary and enjoyed the mostly pretty ports.  Our favourite lunch place being outside Windows in the sunshine.  We were fortunate to enjoy good weather in the region.

The moral to our experience is to ‘get a taxi to Venice airport’, avoid deep steps in Budva and put the light on in the bathroom!!

Oh dear Lynne, you need a holiday !!  Hope you both relaxing  now.  X

I think all the cruise lines are going to have to rethink 'Venice'.

The last day of our cruise was stressful and long - with some people leaving the ship before dawn to get to Marco Polo for morning flights.  We were off the ship at 08,30 for a 5.05 pm departure, others on our coach did not have flights until 8 p.m.  The bus to the airport took well over 2 hours.

The shuttle to Ravenna on the previous day, was good, but it is a 25 minute drive through a largely industrial area - no walking off the ship as we could previously in Venice.

Ravenna was lovely for a day - the information from Azamara consisted of one photocopied map on an A4 piece of paper which was so small we could not read it.   Once off the ship Trumpy Tours did a good job, very welcoming, with a decent map.  

However I have would now avoid any cruise which would entail a flight to or from Marco Polo Venice Airport unless we were staying for several days (unlikely now since we have been lucky enough to visit on many occasions).  I would expect that Azamara flights and transfers would now be very expensive and if flights are booked independently then transfers are very expensive.  The airport itself is much improved over our previous visits - but not a place I want to stay in for many hours.

Day trips from Ravenna to Venice are no way to see that wonderful place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kimbasmum said:

Hope you are both recovering well.

We take small torches when we travel to avoid having to use bright overhead lights if we need to visit the bathroom during the night. Available for a few dollars at KMart or Big W in Australia - and the price includes batteries!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:35 AM, Kimbasmum said:

Our driver went to the Cargo terminal before finally finding the passenger terminal coach park. By comparison with Manchester Airport it’s a breeze getting through check in and security at Marco Polo. Since we were last at Marco Polo they have extended the ground floor check in area which serves Easy Jet , Jet 2 and others. It’s much better now. 

16 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I think all the cruise lines are going to have to rethink 'Venice'.

The last day of our cruise was stressful and long - with some people leaving the ship before dawn to get to Marco Polo for morning flights.  We were off the ship at 08,30 for a 5.05 pm departure, others on our coach did not have flights until 8 p.m.  The bus to the airport took well over 2 hours.

The shuttle to Ravenna on the previous day, was good, but it is a 25 minute drive through a largely industrial area - no walking off the ship as we could previously in Venice.

Ravenna was lovely for a day - the information from Azamara consisted of one photocopied map on an A4 piece of paper which was so small we could not read it.   Once off the ship Trumpy Tours did a good job, very welcoming, with a decent map.  

However I have would now avoid any cruise which would entail a flight to or from Marco Polo Venice Airport unless we were staying for several days (unlikely now since we have been lucky enough to visit on many occasions).  I would expect that Azamara flights and transfers would now be very expensive and if flights are booked independently then transfers are very expensive.  The airport itself is much improved over our previous visits - but not a place I want to stay in for many hours.

Day trips from Ravenna to Venice are no way to see that wonderful place.

I agree. I think cruise companies will struggle to sell cruises to and from  Ravenna once word gets around about the length of transfers coupled with  very early disembarkation. It’s a shame that we have to do it all again in August ( lift and shift of a previous Venice cruise but at a very good price) on Royal Caribbean but that will definitely be the last time from Ravenna. 

At the end of the day people have choices and when choosing  cruises they have to decide whether they would accept a 2 hour transfer at either end to and from Venice in a coach.  We found it no problem, the roads were good and as mentioned  by @HalifaxYorksCruiser the airport set up is good.

When you look at the  thousands  of people from all over the UK that drive or fly hours to get to Southampton as a UK home port , you may think differently. For us it is over 2 hours but wouldn't we think twice about it. 

7 minutes ago, combine said:

When you look at the  thousands  of people from all over the UK that drive or fly hours to get to Southampton as a UK home port , you may think differently. For us it is over 2 hours but wouldn't we think twice about it. 

Good point, though I think the issue is you are in more control of the timing in that situation.  

Given the timings of flights we would be looking at we would not want to disembark at Ravenna unless there was also an excursion of sorts before arriving at the airport.  Looking at the timings we would be waiting about 3 hours to check in minimum and thats just not the end of the holiday you want.  The alternative is the expense of a private transfer but given they will want you off the ship very early you are still going to have issues - at least in town you could find luggage storage or keep your things with you and go and explore for a few hours.  

Its not the cruise line's fault they got bumped from Venice but they may need to look at more creative solutions to make Ravenna more palatable to cruisers

For sure Ann, we've done many an excursion plus transfer, it fills the morning. 

With the proposed investment into Ravenna port  (which  by the way is a delightful town) , it looks like its here to stay unless Venice does an about turn. 

I’ll be doing a repeat of last Sunday again in August and it will be interesting to see what tweaks they make to the morning schedule and if they are able to offer any tours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Good point, though I think the issue is you are in more control of the timing in that situation.  

Given the timings of flights we would be looking at we would not want to disembark at Ravenna unless there was also an excursion of sorts before arriving at the airport.  Looking at the timings we would be waiting about 3 hours to check in minimum and thats just not the end of the holiday you want.  The alternative is the expense of a private transfer but given they will want you off the ship very early you are still going to have issues - at least in town you could find luggage storage or keep your things with you and go and explore for a few hours.  

Its not the cruise line's fault they got bumped from Venice but they may need to look at more creative solutions to make Ravenna more palatable to cruisers

Our timings were as follows for a 12.20 flight

Depart ship at 5.30

Coach left at 5.50

Arrived Marco Polo 7.50 ( note it was a Sunday and roads quiet)

Waiting in the pre check in departures area is not very comfortable. If you had a late afternoon or early evening departure I noted that there was a left luggage area and so you could leave luggage and go into Venice.

Checked in at Jet2 check in approx 10.00 ( no queue and checked in within 5 mins)

Security check very quick- no queues- approx 5 mins

Waiting for flight - approx 10.10 for 12.20 flight but flight delayed by 3 hours due to incoming flight delay and so it was about 3.30 before we actually took off.

Marco Polo seemed very quiet compared to previous years so maybe lack of Cruises out of Venice combined with COVID having an impact.

• Thanks 1

Yes I agree an excursion before the flight would be good and of course Azamara have already set the precedent.  We were going to book their offered  excursion to Padua before our flight when we hoped to berth in Marghera.  

I guess we are spoilt as we live only half an hour from Heathrow.  However I would still think twice about a cruise ending in Ravenna,  A cruise starting there, whilst not ideal, would be a possibility for us I think

• Like 1

I was just reviewing the shore excursions on our Pursuit cruise on 30 Sep, ending in Ravenna.

Azamara’s including a bus transfer to the Venice bus terminal for AUD205 or to airport for AUD191.

Does anyone know whether such transfers are gratis for those who booked when the cruise was to  end in Venice?

If not, I’ll have homework to do, to identify alternatives- anyone have any knowledge of the cost of alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, AJCM said:

I was just reviewing the shore excursions on our Pursuit cruise on 30 Sep, ending in Ravenna.

Azamara’s including a bus transfer to the Venice bus terminal for AUD205 or to airport for AUD191.

Does anyone know whether such transfers are gratis for those who booked when the cruise was to  end in Venice?

If not, I’ll have homework to do, to identify alternatives- anyone have any knowledge of the cost of alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Yes this should be noted against the transfer if you look at the booking on your account. There’s no need to pre book as it’s all done on the ship, we are currently on Onward disembarking on Friday and we received a questionnaire in the cabin mid cruise.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:05 PM, AJCM said:

Thanks in advance.

If you booked the cruise before April 2022, I think they are free/included.  If you booked later then there is this exorbitant charge.  We are travelling post-cruise in August from Ravenna to Bologna, stopping for a few days and flying out of there.  Highly recommended if you have been to Venice before.

We arrived at Venice airport at 11.30 having used the included transfer from Ravenna. We left slightly later than planned due to the arrival of Oceania Nautica putting out her lines at 8.50 am. The coach stopped for a quick comfort break after an hour.  As our Azamara booked flight isn’t until 6.55pm we are using a dayroom at the Hilton North until 4pm rather than hang around the airport until check in/bag drop opens   

• Like 1