Best Motion Sickness Remedy

AnitaVacation

On my very first cruise (many years ago) I had bad motion sickness and vowed to never sail without some kind of meds again.  Since then, we have been using the 'less drowsy' dramamine (meclizine).  On our last cruise, we noticed that we were still kinda drowsy and found ourselves taking long naps in the middle of the day which is a great way to spend a vacation, but.... 

What do you use??  Bands?? Patches??  We are ready to try something besides pills....  I've read that ginger does not last... true?? 

Let's hear your recommendations!!

• Like 1

OMG. Seabands!  I get sick in the backseat of a car I am so bad.  I used to live on pills and like you even non drowsy still made me a zombie.  About 15 years ago hubby came home with Seabands!  I do NOT get sea sick at all now.  Even in BAD rolling seas I might feel a little "off" but not bad at all.  Normal sailing I feel completely normal. I SWEAR by these.  No dope of any kind in my system and you can adjust wearing 1 or 2 depending on how bad it is.  

Even on 10 hr flights to Europe I never got sick at all either.

MUST buy these!  You wear them nub side down on your wrists 3 fingers width up from the base of your hand (should rest right between those main tendons you can feel if you flex your hand down).  Don't know why they work (some pressure point thing I guess)....but they saved my life as someone with over 40 cruises now under my belt.

22 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

On my very first cruise (many years ago) I had bad motion sickness and vowed to never sail without some kind of meds again.  Since then, we have been using the 'less drowsy' dramamine (meclizine).  On our last cruise, we noticed that we were still kinda drowsy and found ourselves taking long naps in the middle of the day which is a great way to spend a vacation, but.... 

What do you use??  Bands?? Patches??  We are ready to try something besides pills....  I've read that ginger does not last... true?? 

Let's hear your recommendations!!

The prescription patches are the best, most effective.  Ginger may act as relief but it does not prevent sea sickness.  I have true motion sickness and only travel medicated. I use Rugby brand meclizine which is behind the counter and much cheaper than what is on the shelves.  Just ask at the pharmacy counter.  Staying hydrated and "regular" helps since constipation and dehydration mimic seasickness

• Like 3

I have only used pills. Dramamine makes me drowsy, but Bonine never does. I take 1 a day starting about 2 days prior to my cruise and even a few days after. (my brother never takes anything but got real dizzy and sick about 2 days AFTER we got off our cruise!) I usually buy the brand name Bonine and they're not real expensive. I will never cruise without!

40 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

we have been using the 'less drowsy' dramamine (meclizine).  On our last cruise, we noticed that we were still kinda drowsy and found ourselves taking long naps in the middle of the day

Make sure when taking Meclizine (even the less drowsy Dramamine) not to consume any alcohol at all. Alcohol will increase fatigue symptoms concerning Meclizine.

🍷 🍹 🍸

41 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

If needed, we use Bonine during the day and Dramamine at night. Walmart usually has Equate versions of both that are cheaper than the name brands.

we buy the equate brand of meclizine (super cheap), we take each night before bed, but still wanna take that long afternoon nap....

8 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Make sure when taking Meclizine (even the less drowsy Dramamine) not to consume any alcohol at all. Alcohol will increase fatigue symptoms concerning Meclizine.

🍷 🍹 🍸

well.... I guess meclizine is out.... LOL

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

🍷 🍹 🍸

Not for everyone.  I take meclizine twice a day and have no sleepiness after day 2 with or without a considerable alcohol intake.  

Draminate (generic Dramamine) works well for me. Usually, one dose for the whole day, sometimes works for two days even. Once you get used to it, it won't make you sleepy. Though, one night I took a double dose (was feeling extra wobbly/dizzy that day for some reason) before dinner and had a few drinks beforehand, could barely keep my eyes open through dinner and it was a very early night that night lol. I have tried meclizine and it did nothing for me.  

Sea bands are all we ever used.  Never go on a cruise without them.  My sister would get motion sick when riding in a car when she started taking. Victoza.  The bands helped.  I don’t get sick when moving around on the ship, but in my cabin if I am sitting facing the side of the ship and there is much motion I feel it.  Changing position is the cure for that.  We found that out on our first cruise (1999) in the Atlantic off Brazil.  The heads of our beds were under the window.  We found we couldn’t sit in our beds and read.  Solution was to leave the cabin.  Problem disappeared after we entered the Amazon.  EM

We have used Bonine when needed for every cruise we have taken.  No drowsiness, no side effects.  DD is on a ton of seizure meds, and dh and I are on a few meds, and this medication is deemed safe for us by our cardiologist and neurologist.

• Like 1

DH very prone to motion sickness (he has to be the one driving in a car or gets instant queasiness and headache) and we learned years ago that the prescription patch is his best option.  He puts the first one on 24 hrs before we sail then and then replaces that one the night of sailing.  He may use another one 24 hrs after 2nd and typically maxes out at 3 patches in beginning of cruise.  We carry 5 patches with us just in case and also if seas are really rolling for some reason we do not tempt fate.  We will stay away from aft dinning room or activities (much worse in aft areas) and make sure we always have a 6 pack of ginger ale in fridge. 

DS and myself are not usually bothered with motion sickness but keep chewable Bonine around in case we do feel a little uneasy for some reason.  It acts quickly and we do not get the side effects that some other brands do.  

Edited by Drazil65

My wife get's motion sickness in the car, ship, plane and on rides. She went to her primary care physician and asked about the shot. He gave her a prescription for promethazine(anti-nausea/motion sickness), it is not available over the counter,  however, It works wonders for her, total relief of symptoms, no side effects. She start's day before cruise and ends on disembarkation day for car ride home. As I am not a Doctor,  not sure if this is a good option for everyone who suffers from such, but hopefully another option for you and your Doctor to consider if you choose. Be well, safe trip and enjoy. 

BTW- for those who say "I never get sea sick."  I could have said that until a bunch of rogue waves hit the ship about a day out on a TP from Seattle.  The ship went side to side, back and forth, and then swirled. That did me in. Even an officer told me that was his first time. Fortunately, the cruise ships prudently hand out sea sickness meds like tic tacs at the service counter. 

On 4/28/2022 at 8:53 AM, Markanddonna said:

BTW- for those who say "I never get sea sick."  I could have said that until a bunch of rogue waves hit the ship about a day out on a TP from Seattle.  The ship went side to side, back and forth, and then swirled. That did me in. Even an officer told me that was his first time. Fortunately, the cruise ships prudently hand out sea sickness meds like tic tacs at the service counter. 

Good point. I won't say "never" but only that I'm not predisposed to motion sickness of any sort. I've been on rough flights and boat rides including a very rough flight in northern Canada. There weren't many empty air sickness bags other than mine when it landed. 🙂

I remain puzzled that people who get sea sick easily are adamant about cruising. The best way not to get sea sick is to stay on shore. Ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.  

23 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I remain puzzled that people who get sea sick easily are adamant about cruising. The best way not to get sea sick is to stay on shore.

You have stated this on more than one thread. I remain puzzled that a person with an admitted ignorance of this condition can have any way of knowing what measures can lead someone to still have a pleasant and enjoyable cruise,  let alone know the one and only "best way." 

Not only do I get sea sick (without medication), I also get car sick. Perhaps I should never drive or ride in a car?

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mom says said:

You have stated this on more than one thread. I remain puzzled that a person with an admitted ignorance of this condition can have any way of knowing what measures can lead someone to still have a pleasant and enjoyable cruise,  let alone know the one and only "best way." 

Not only do I get sea sick (without medication), I also get car sick. Perhaps I should never drive or ride in a car?

My definition of "pleasant and enjoyable" does not include being doped up on scopolamine, eating Dramamine like Smarties, munching so much ginger I smell like an Asian restaurant or becoming anxious upon seeing dark clouds on the horizon or a little rough water. 

25 minutes ago, K32682 said:

My definition of "pleasant and enjoyable" does not include being doped up on scopolamine, eating Dramamine like Smarties, munching so much ginger I smell like an Asian restaurant or becoming anxious upon seeing dark clouds on the horizon or a little rough water. 

Finest example of reductio ad absurdum I've seen today. Thanks for making my point.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

One sure fire way for us has been to simply go on a lot of cruises.  Not sure it’ll work for everyone but for us, it’s made us immune. I guess we’re just used to the motion now

Failing that, there is a Canadian motion sickness medicine OTC called Gravol that my wife swears by

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth