Jump to content
,

STRAIGHT MEDICARE AND SUPPLEMENT


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2022 at 2:39 PM, coo359a2 said:

I think I am answering your question.  Can only speak for myself and the insurance claims I've filed but straight old fashion Medicare does not cover international or medical bills on a Princess cruise ship.  Sometime the Princess insurance has me file the claim with Medicare which turn it down or they let me skip this step.  Probably adds 30 days on to the insurance process have to get a denial from Medicare.

And you are right on the Money with the above statement. I usually don't complain much as we love Princess. We are Elite Cruisers and always purchase their Travel Protection Plan. (Never had to file a claim, until recently) I'll be brief with my issue. Recently returned from 30 days of cruising and my wife suffered a cut onboard the ship which required Medical attention. Two days after the incident, we received an invoice in our cabin for $118.00. Went down to the customer service desk on the ship to complain and was informed that I would have to file a claim with the insurance company when we got home. Princess went ahead and charged my onboard account for the Medical Services. Got home and file a documented claim for the small charge and after waiting several weeks, recently received a letter from AON denying payment until I have filed the claim with Medicare. REALLY ! They are even stating on the letter the following "While we are aware that Medicare usually does not cover foreign medical expenses  your supplemental plan MAY cover the expense". This is all BS by the AON using a delay tactic to not pay the claim. They have not heard the end of this story from me yet as I intend to expose them for this "scam" they try to play on Seniors. Check out the BBB in the city where AON Headquarters is located and you'll find TONS of complaints from folks battling with them to settle claims. (They are rated at 1.18 from a 5) in settling claims for travel related issues. I have also filed a consumer complaint with Princess which is the one who collects the premiums for the coverages. Be Aware of these Tactics by Travel Insurance Providers !! Thank-you

Edited by FloridaCharlie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, FloridaCharlie said:

And you are right on the Money with the above statement. I usually don't complain much as we love Princess. We are Elite Cruisers and always purchase their Travel Protection Plan. (Never had to file a claim, until recently) I'll be brief with my issue. Recently returned from 30 days of cruising and my wife suffered a cut onboard the ship which required Medical attention. Two days after the incident, we received an invoice in our cabin for $118.00. Went down to the customer service desk on the ship to complain and was informed that I would have to file a claim with the insurance company when we got home. Princess went ahead and charged my onboard account for the Medical Services. Got home and file a documented claim for the small charge and after waiting several weeks, recently received a letter from AON denying payment until I have filed the claim with Medicare. REALLY ! They are even stating on the letter the following "While we are aware that Medicare usually does not cover foreign medical expenses  your supplemental plan MAY cover the expense". This is all BS by the AON using a delay tactic to not pay the claim. They have not heard the end of this story from me yet as I intend to expose them for this "scam" they try to play on Seniors. Check out the BBB in the city where AON Headquarters is located and you'll find TONS of complaints from folks battling with them to settle claims. (They are rated at 1.18 from a 5) in settling claims for travel related issues. I have also filed a consumer complaint with Princess which is the one who collects the premiums for the coverages. Be Aware of these Tactics by Travel Insurance Providers !! Thank-you


 

I know you are frustrated by the process, but that is the way travel insurance works unless you have a plan with primary coverage. Secondary coverage such as Princess always requires you to file with your primary insurance first. Even with Princess coverage, you can’t just present your card to avoid charges the way you do  at home with your health insurance.

 

Princess just sells a policy with their name on it. They are not in the business of underwriting insurance or administering claims. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had many claims filed while cruising with Princess, either falling/tripping somehow or just some small to medium medical issue.  Even broke my toe on the last day of a cruise going up the stairs to our cabin.  The medical charges have always been charged to our room account - big or small.  The insurance company has always paid in full with no questions asked which is good.  Do agree though that it is a pain to have to file first with Medicare when you know it is going to be denied.  I had to call Medicare just to see how to file a claim as this has always been done by our doctors.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thank you all very much. I purchased the Princess Travel and have Medicare and a supplement. I pray none of us ever have to use the insurance whatever we may have

Kathy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Babr said:


 

I know you are frustrated by the process, but that is the way travel insurance works unless you have a plan with primary coverage. Secondary coverage such as Princess always requires you to file with your primary insurance first. Even with Princess coverage, you can’t just present your card to avoid charges the way you do  at home with your health insurance.

 

Princess just sells a policy with their name on it. They are not in the business of underwriting insurance or administering claims. 

Really ! Well They are already admitting on the denial that they know Medicare will not pay for it. So, basically they are delaying having to pay the (peanuts) $118.00 claim. Medicare will not pay claims for Medical Services provided in the middle of the ocean by NON CERTIFIED providers. In this case, It was a very nice foreign Doctor working onboard the ship with no certification to practice medicine in the United States. Get the picture ! They know that. Basically they are making it difficult to settle a simple documented claim. In the meantime, Princess collects the nice premium for the plan way before you cruise and then if you have an injury onboard, they bill your onboard account for the cost of the Medical Service provided , living you with the task of battling with the Insurance Provider. This process needs to be addressed and changed. Period !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

thank you all very much. I purchased the Princess Travel and have Medicare and a supplement. I pray none of us ever have to use the insurance whatever we may have

Kathy

Good Luck ! We do as well. I'm a Federal Government Retiree with excellent medical coverage here in the US. Medicare A & B plus a great secondary coverage provided by my Federal Assoc. Insurance. We pay 00 for Medical care here at home due to my coverage. BUT when we cruise, we still purchase the Platinum Protection Plan sold by the cruise line. They should recognize the fact that you purchase the coverage which gives them a profit margin as well, and recover the cost of the ONBOARD first aid treatment themselves and not place the charge on your onboard account. We are not talking an Emergency Medivac case or Hospitalization here. End of Story !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FloridaCharlie said:

Really ! Well They are already admitting on the denial that they know Medicare will not pay for it. So, basically they are delaying having to pay the (peanuts) $118.00 claim. Medicare will not pay claims for Medical Services provided in the middle of the ocean by NON CERTIFIED providers. In this case, It was a very nice foreign Doctor working onboard the ship with no certification to practice medicine in the United States. Get the picture ! They know that. Basically they are making it difficult to settle a simple documented claim. In the meantime, Princess collects the nice premium for the plan way before you cruise and then if you have an injury onboard, they bill your onboard account for the cost of the Medical Service provided , living you with the task of battling with the Insurance Provider. This process needs to be addressed and changed. Period !


 

Sorry - that is just the way secondary coverage works. It is not a scam. It is a faulty understanding of the process on your part and the source of complaints from many who buy travel insurance but have no idea of the terms until they have to use it.

 

Everybody on Medicare knows -or should - that it will not pay for services outside the US, but your supplement or Advantage plan will. If you don’t want to be bothered with the extra paperwork, next time shop for a travel policy with primary coverage. Then you can file directly with them.

 

Any cruise line will bill your onboard account for medical services. The doctors are contractors, not cruise line employees. Princess does not run a healthcare service equivalent to what you are used to at home.
 

Nor do they run an insurance company so don’t expect them to handle the claims. They sell you a Princess-branded policy underwritten by Nationwide and administered by AON. They throw in a Cancel for Any Reason provision at no extra cost to you as an incentive to buy, which is also processed after your initial claim is denied by AON if you cancel for a reason not defined in the policy.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Babr said:


 

Sorry - that is just the way secondary coverage works. It is not a scam. It is a faulty understanding of the process on your part and the source of complaints from many who buy travel insurance but have no idea of the terms until they have to use it.

 

Everybody on Medicare knows -or should - that it will not pay for services outside the US, but your supplement or Advantage plan will. If you don’t want to be bothered with the extra paperwork, next time shop for a travel policy with primary coverage. Then you can file directly with them.

 

Any cruise line will bill your onboard account for medical services. The doctors are contractors, not cruise line employees. Princess does not run a healthcare service equivalent to what you are used to at home.
 

Nor do they run an insurance company so don’t expect them to handle the claims. They sell you a Princess-branded policy underwritten by Nationwide and administered by AON. They throw in a Cancel for Any Reason provision at no extra cost to you as an incentive to buy, which is also processed after your initial claim is denied by AON if you cancel for a reason not defined in the policy.

One of many reasons individuals need to read the policy, in full, before purchasing or purchase through a legitimate insurance broker who will be able to explain to them what is being purchased and what to expect if a claim needs to be filed.

 

No matter how good one believes their insurance is, we need to be sure of the requirements way before a possible need to use it.

 

bon voyage

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FloridaCharlie said:

And you are right on the Money with the above statement. I usually don't complain much as we love Princess. We are Elite Cruisers and always purchase their Travel Protection Plan. (Never had to file a claim, until recently) I'll be brief with my issue. Recently returned from 30 days of cruising and my wife suffered a cut onboard the ship which required Medical attention. Two days after the incident, we received an invoice in our cabin for $118.00. Went down to the customer service desk on the ship to complain and was informed that I would have to file a claim with the insurance company when we got home. Princess went ahead and charged my onboard account for the Medical Services. Got home and file a documented claim for the small charge and after waiting several weeks, recently received a letter from AON denying payment until I have filed the claim with Medicare. REALLY ! They are even stating on the letter the following "While we are aware that Medicare usually does not cover foreign medical expenses  your supplemental plan MAY cover the expense". This is all BS by the AON using a delay tactic to not pay the claim. They have not heard the end of this story from me yet as I intend to expose them for this "scam" they try to play on Seniors. Check out the BBB in the city where AON Headquarters is located and you'll find TONS of complaints from folks battling with them to settle claims. (They are rated at 1.18 from a 5) in settling claims for travel related issues. I have also filed a consumer complaint with Princess which is the one who collects the premiums for the coverages. Be Aware of these Tactics by Travel Insurance Providers !! Thank-you

[emphasis added]

 

I don't want to be an apologist for insurers, as it is obvious that there are some who slow down claims or otherwise try to discourage their need to actually pay.

 

However, what is highlighted above is indeed true.  Regular Medicare doesn't pay.  But there are supplements that often will, and these are well known.
So it makes sense for them to double check that any primary insurer pays if possible.


OR... get a different policy that has primary coverage, and avoid the Medicare Claims Dance.

The policy we get allows us to pay $25 extra to make it "primary", and that's well worth it to us, just in case.

And we have had several claims, all of them paid promptly, including a few large claims.
(This is with third party insurance, NOT through any cruise line.)

 

Again, I'm not trying to take the side of Princess or AON.  I'm mentioning this in case you want to make arrangements in the future so you don't need to deal with the "cruiseline" coverage.  (I don't think it's only Princess that handles it this way, unfortunately.)

 

GC

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

[emphasis added]

 

I don't want to be an apologist for insurers, as it is obvious that there are some who slow down claims or otherwise try to discourage their need to actually pay.

 

Thank You ! AON's rating tells the story. Rated 1.18 out of 5 by the BBB in their Headquarters Hometown. Thank God our (peanuts) claim is minimal ($118.00) But the principle of how legitimate and documented Travel MEDICAL claims are handled is disturbing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@FloridaCharlie

 

thinking this over, I suspect a big part of your surprise and upset (over being surprised) is that at home, you have really excellent medical insurance, so generally just show your card & it's handled.    Seems what you had to go through with filing insurance claims due to your wife's injury on the ship was a process that was very very new to you.     So many of us have had to go through similar rounds so it seems pretty much standard.   

We had a doctor that we really liked, years ago; he used to file insurance claims for us.   It got so time cnsuming, that he realized he was paying an extra staff person to handle our insurance claims.   Going forward, he would provide receipts that we could use to file, but we had to file ourselves.

Had you understood the process, and not been surprised, you'd have been able to submit the paperwork to Medicare first, etc.    But, not knowing, you submitted to the travel insurance first, then after the "normal" 4-5 week turnaround time, finally found out you had inadvertently skipped the first step.    Frustrating, but if you research you'll see that all secondary policies work the same way.

Next time, you'll know.

 

Regards,

Mary

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

@FloridaCharlie

 

thinking this over, I suspect a big part of your surprise and upset (over being surprised) is that at home, you have really excellent medical insurance, so generally just show your card & it's handled.    Seems what you had to go through with filing insurance claims due to your wife's injury on the ship was a process that was very very new to you.     So many of us have had to go through similar rounds so it seems pretty much standard.   

We had a doctor that we really liked, years ago; he used to file insurance claims for us.   It got so time cnsuming, that he realized he was paying an extra staff person to handle our insurance claims.   Going forward, he would provide receipts that we could use to file, but we had to file ourselves.

Had you understood the process, and not been surprised, you'd have been able to submit the paperwork to Medicare first, etc.    But, not knowing, you submitted to the travel insurance first, then after the "normal" 4-5 week turnaround time, finally found out you had inadvertently skipped the first step.    Frustrating, but if you research you'll see that all secondary policies work the same way.

Next time, you'll know.

 

Regards,

Mary

 

Thanks for your response BUT please be advised that we know the difference between insurance coverages, primary and secondary coverages, submission of claims, etc, etc. My wife is retired from the Medical Field where she worked for many years as an RN. The bottom line is that this Travel Protection Plans like AON Affinity's make it difficult and discourage folks from filing small claims like ours for minor medical issues while traveling. AGAIN ! Hundreds of claimants couldn't be wrong, please. Check the facts. Rated 1.18 out of 5 in processing claim settlements, hundreds of complaints some going as far as calling the process a "Scam". I've already contacted the Cruise Line's Customer Relations Dept and they are looking at my claim closely. A Refund should be coming soon !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FloridaCharlie said:

Thanks for your response BUT please be advised that we know the difference between insurance coverages, primary and secondary coverages, submission of claims, etc, etc. My wife is retired from the Medical Field where she worked for many years as an RN. The bottom line is that this Travel Protection Plans like AON Affinity's make it difficult and discourage folks from filing small claims like ours for minor medical issues while traveling. AGAIN ! Hundreds of claimants couldn't be wrong, please. Check the facts. Rated 1.18 out of 5 in processing claim settlements, hundreds of complaints some going as far as calling the process a "Scam". I've already contacted the Cruise Line's Customer Relations Dept and they are looking at my claim closely. A Refund should be coming soon !

Ok, please keep us posted!

 

Best regards,

Mary

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FloridaCharlie said:

. Check the facts. Rated 1.18 out of 5 in processing claim settlements, hundreds of complaints some going as far as calling the process a "Scam". I've already contacted the Cruise Line's Customer Relations Dept and they are looking at my claim closely. A Refund should be coming soon !

Thats about the dumbest argument possible. Using a companies BBB rating? Please.

We've all listened to your rant. Most have sympathized with you while at the same time understanding that having to get the Medicare denial is just part of the process.

 

I have NEVER in my life written to BBB to leave a compliment for a companies product or customer service. Back when I thought BBB was a leader in helping a consumer, I may have left a complaint or two, but never a compliment.

 

Look at yourself. BBB is rating this company 1.18 in processing claims. How many of those claims leading to the 1.18 score are from people like you who don't have a clue how the claims processing work and their expectations were wildly overstated.

 

Your rant is misplaced. Your rant should be sent right back towards yourself.

Your medical insurance was secondary. Your very first claim should have been to Medicare with a letter stating please don't spend much time trying to process this claim. I just need your denial letter. You would have received the denial in a matter of days.

That's the process, that's how life works. You're not special, get over yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Thats about the dumbest argument possible. Using a companies BBB rating? Please.

We've all listened to your rant. Most have sympathized with you while at the same time understanding that having to get the Medicare denial is just part of the process.

 

I have NEVER in my life written to BBB to leave a compliment for a companies product or customer service. Back when I thought BBB was a leader in helping a consumer, I may have left a complaint or two, but never a compliment.

 

Look at yourself. BBB is rating this company 1.18 in processing claims. How many of those claims leading to the 1.18 score are from people like you who don't have a clue how the claims processing work and their expectations were wildly overstated.

 

Your rant is misplaced. Your rant should be sent right back towards yourself.

Your medical insurance was secondary. Your very first claim should have been to Medicare with a letter stating please don't spend much time trying to process this claim. I just need your denial letter. You would have received the denial in a matter of days.

That's the process, that's how life works. You're not special, get over yourself.

Whoever you happen to be ?? I'm over it and know what I need to do to recover my justified claim. It's just a matter of principle to me. Certainly don't need any advice from you. You sound like an "apologist" and a "homer" for the insurance industry. Bye !! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...