Post cruise Boston-what to do til 5pm flight

bunzini

We just had our flights changed and will not be flying out of Boston after our cruise until 5pm.  I would love to do something besides sit at the airport all day.  But then there is the problem of what to do with our luggage.  We are a party of four.   Any thoughts?

14 hours ago, bunzini said:

I would love to do something besides sit at the airport all day.  But then there is the problem of what to do with our luggage.  We are a party of four.

In a similar vein, go to a nicer hotel downtown for brunch/lunch/drinks after getting off the ship and store your luggage with them-- as long as you are utilizing a dining outlet they will be happy to do it for just a tip to the bellman. Walk around town after and come back and collect your bags by 2:30/3pm and head to the airport. 

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

There are also 2 hotels adjacent to the port, you might be able to leave your bags there for a generous tip

But then you have to go back to the port-- I think the move here is to try and limit the amount of back and forth you are doing and I cant think of a reason to go back to the port when you need to end up at the airport. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, princeton123211 said:

But then you have to go back to the port-- I think the move here is to try and limit the amount of back and forth you are doing and I cant think of a reason to go back to the port when you need to end up at the airport. 

that is going to be a problem wherever you leave the bags.  They could be left at a downtown hotel if that is more convenient.

If the question is "how do my bags get to the airport without me", well, I don't have an answer for that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 8:45 PM, bunzini said:

We just had our flights changed and will not be flying out of Boston after our cruise until 5pm.  I would love to do something besides sit at the airport all day.  But then there is the problem of what to do with our luggage.  We are a party of four.   Any thoughts?

I just realized we have the same issue!  Our flight was originally at 1:30pm but was changed to 4:50pm.  😕

On 5/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, GreytRacer said:

I just realized we have the same issue!  Our flight was originally at 1:30pm but was changed to 4:50pm.  😕

I keep wondering how many more times our flights will change before then!

12 hours ago, bunzini said:

I keep wondering how many more times our flights will change before then!

That’s the problem:  while airlines do seem to make an effort to limit the amount of time involved in the change, it can work out to be massive - four “minor adjustments” of just 1:25 each (in the same direction) means that your noon flight becomes 5:40 PM - so your landing time is also that much later.

On 5/30/2022 at 10:03 AM, navybankerteacher said:

That’s the problem:  while airlines do seem to make an effort to limit the amount of time involved in the change, it can work out to be massive - four “minor adjustments” of just 1:25 each (in the same direction) means that your noon flight becomes 5:40 PM - so your landing time is also that much later.

Contemplating using LuggageHero after Ubering downtown from port… walking about, dining, collecting baggage and proceeding via Uber  to airport.

3 hours ago, fngram said:

Contemplating using LuggageHero after Ubering downtown from port… walking about, dining, collecting baggage and proceeding via Uber  to airport.

I need to look that up...what is luggage hero?

I don’t know which cruise line you will be on but many offer a sort of sightseeing tour with airport drop-off. We used this in Rome and were very pleased about it no worries about luggage because its with you.

Other option is to look for a “day room”, just google it.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

Cruising on Celebrity R/T Boston and had considered their post-cruise excursion, ending at the airport after a 2-3 hour tour. Still concerned about what to do until 5–ish flight. Flight rescheduled; now after 7. Would like to check in luggage at airport, then Uber to Little Italy for a meal, but don’t know how early Alaska Air will accept bags. In 2019, had a similar plan in Chicago, after contacting corporate Alaska. Got to O’Hare and grumpy agent refused our bags until closer to flight time - I think 4 hrs. Seattle wasn’t telling them what to do!

Edited by nonni2

7 hours ago, nonni2 said:

Still concerned about what to do until 5–ish flight. Flight rescheduled; now after 7. Would like to check in luggage at airport, then Uber to Little Italy for a meal, but don’t know how early Alaska Air will accept bags.

Four hours before the flight is the rule for most US carriers. They won't accept your bags before that and it will be a waste of time and money to go to the airport and try. I would suggest finding a nicer hotel in Boston for a late breakfast/early lunch and they will be more than happy to check your bags for the day for a nice tip to the bellman who helps you. 

then Uber to Little Italy for a meal,

It's called the North End in Boston-- Little Italy is in New York City. 

Got to O’Hare and grumpy agent refused our bags until closer to flight time - I think 4 hrs. Seattle wasn’t telling them what to do!

The 4 hour rule is in their Contract of Carriage and said directly on their website. Also Alaska is not a major airline at Boston Logan so there is a chance there won't even be a check in desk open until a few hours before your flight. The Alaska check in desk at BOS closes at noon and doesn't reopen until 1:45pm, closing again at 8pm. 

Take your bags to the Rowes Wharf Water Shuttle and buy a ticket for the shuttle to the airport for later.  They will hold your bags there while you tour Boston.  Then take the shuttle across the Harbor to the airport for your flight

On 6/15/2022 at 7:53 AM, Nitemare said:

Take your bags to the Rowes Wharf Water Shuttle and buy a ticket for the shuttle to the airport for later.  They will hold your bags there while you tour Boston.  Then take the shuttle across the Harbor to the airport for your flight

I like this idea.  I need to look it up.  Wondering if it is close to the cruise terminal.

51 minutes ago, bunzini said:

I like this idea.  I need to look it up.  Wondering if it is close to the cruise terminal.

It would be a very long walk with luggage (I wouldn't do it, and I'm up for most things), but not an expensive cab/Uber.