Canadian Insurance for MSC

I booked a last minute trip with my friend for this weekend on MSC.  As a Canadian they require COVID 19 insurance.  

In the email it says "

• A proof of COVID-19 insurance clearly showing the COVID-19 risks coverage

When I go to the website it says 

• COVID-19 insurance for Canadian residents starting from 15 December 2021, is MANDATORY. The insurance policy should cover against COVID-19 related risks, such as trip cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization and it is important that the policy also includes coverage in the case of being a close contact. 

I have travel insurance through work that covers all medical, repatriation, etc.  It does cover COVID 19 related illness. 
I was told by HR to print out the card available on our Intranet but that doesn't show the coverage or that it includes COVID. 

I checked the credit card I booked with. It does have Trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance.  I called about it the other day and they said it does not exclude COVID 19 but it would not cover trip cancellation if I tested positive and could not fly. I'm assuming there is a difference between testing positive and actually being sick. 

I don't even know how to go about getting a proof of COVID 19 insurance from the credit card.  I really hate to spend $176 on a full coverage plan (almost as much as it cost me to get on the boat) when I don't need most of the coverage. 

I don't know if you can request to delete but I ended up just buying a $30 plan through manulife to save myself the hassle.  The credit card company and my work travel insurance provider consider covid 19 an illness, which is covered under the policy.  But they don't have anything they can provide that will say it is covered.  

• Like 1

You are better off buying a policy that meets the requirement.

I don’t know what credit card you have, but the ones in the US do not cover quarantine expenses such as hotel and meals. They provide little protection for covid related expenses. While your work insurance may cover these things, it does no good if they are not willing to provide proof of coverage.

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

You are better off buying a policy that meets the requirement.

I don’t know what credit card you have, but the ones in the US do not cover quarantine expenses such as hotel and meals. They provide little protection for covid related expenses. While your work insurance may cover these things, it does no good if they are not willing to provide proof of coverage.

The policy does not cover everything either. But it does say “Covid 19 pandemic travel plan” so I’m guessing they aren’t going to look much past that. 

I do have all the coverage required which is why it’s frustrating to have to pay more money to get the same coverage I already have. 

Agree. There are still a lot of hurdles to travel these days, but $30 isn’t a big investment for the convenience it provides. If you actually have to file a claim, you may be able to file with your regular insurance for anything that isn’t covered by the travel policy.