Insurance to cover pre existing conditions.

Husband got sick and we lost all our money going to Iceland. HAL insurance only covers one person. I would lose all my money if it happened again. Is there a good private policy to look into?

2 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

Husband got sick and we lost all our money going to Iceland. HAL insurance only covers one person. I would lose all my money if it happened again. Is there a good private policy to look into?

There are policies from a variety of companies that cover pre existing conditions. Most require you to purchase the policy within a specified number of days of making your cruise deposit although I've seen at least one that will cover pre existing conditions as long as you buy the policy when making your final payment or at most shortly thereafter.

You should read Cruise Critic's Cruise/Travel Insurance  board, where these types of questions are frequently discussed.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

The definition of PreExistingConditions for insurance is different than PreExistingConditions for Healthcare.

Talk to a good travel insurance broker. We use InsureMyTrip.com. Their rep will explain everything and help you to select the right coverage (no brokerage cost to you).

I have never seen cruise line provided insurance that is adequate. Yet it is over priced.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I have never seen cruise line provided insurance that is adequate. Yet it is over priced.

Of course -- they are in the business to make money, not lose it -- so the average policy holder is CERTAIN  to pay far more in premiums than the average policy claimant will receive in coverage.

I second the advice to use a broker.  A broker will assess your needs and find the best policy and coverage for you.  We have annual emergency evacuation insurance plus trip insurance with our Chase Reserve Visa, so all I was concerned about over the past two years was company insolvency.  That's the kind of service you get from a broker.  There's a good guy in Omaha that's been around for years and I'm very happy with his expertise. 

I have never purchased travel insurance sold by any cruise line.  When one reads the details of the policy and compare those details with policies sold by reputable companies, there's quite a difference.  I have had to make medical claims a few times and have always been reimbursed for the expenses that I claimed.  But, it was easier to do with some companies other than others.  

The company with which I had the most difficulty was being sold by my travel agent.  I have learned to trust her and her agency.  The insurance company was one with which I had not dealt, but, it was a well known international company.  I was "lazy" at that time and opted not to contact the insurance company that I had previously used.  I had issues with the company after I filed my claim.  Finally, my claim was paid, but, my travel agent had to act in an ombudsman role to get the claim paid.  

50 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have never purchased travel insurance sold by any cruise line.  When one reads the details of the policy and compare those details with policies sold by reputable companies, there's quite a difference.  I have had to make medical claims a few times and have always been reimbursed for the expenses that I claimed.  But, it was easier to do with some companies other than others.  

The company with which I had the most difficulty was being sold by my travel agent.  I have learned to trust her and her agency.  The insurance company was one with which I had not dealt, but, it was a well known international company.  I was "lazy" at that time and opted not to contact the insurance company that I had previously used.  I had issues with the company after I filed my claim.  Finally, my claim was paid, but, my travel agent had to act in an ombudsman role to get the claim paid.  

And just one more reason to have a TA.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 7:57 PM, BarbRN said:

First, here is a link to the Travel Insurance sub-forum on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

We also recommend www.TripInsuranceStore.com for the travel insurance.  CALL them to discuss, including any specific concerns you may have, such as the situation you already described.  They are a travel insurance broker (no extra cost to the traveler).

CALL them; don't rely on the online policy summaries, which really cannot capture all of the important details of each policy.

We have used them for all of our travel insurance after reading about them here on CC.  And thank goodness, because one of our largest claims was for that very first trip!

We happen to get policies through TIS from Travel Insured, which fits our particular needs very well.  We've had several claims, and all of them have been handled promptly, with no nonsense, including the large claims.

GC

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 6:57 PM, BarbRN said:

Howdy @BarbRN emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. 👍 It is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. However, your thread is off topic there since there is a whole forum regarding your topic. 

To help you out, your thread has been moved to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum where it will be on topic. Browse through thread titles here on this forum and l👀k for titles of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread or forum where you are interested in new posts. That way you will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on your Followed threads because they will all come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 1