What to do in Antigua-not beach

gatorchinsky

One of our port stops is Antigua and not really sure what to do.  We don’t want to go to a beach, but we would like to get off the ship and do something.  What is there to see that would be a good way to spend several hours?

9 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

One of our port stops is Antigua and not really sure what to do.  We don’t want to go to a beach, but we would like to get off the ship and do something.  What is there to see that would be a good way to spend several hours?

No beach?
Consider a tour to Shirley Heights, then Nelsons Dockyard, followed by a lunch, cocktails and relaxing lounger at Sheer Rocks, before taxi back to ship.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Go zip-lining with Antigua Rainforest Zipline Tours!  It's a blast and very safe.  If an "old lady" like me can do it, anyone can!  Our Celebrity ship had a cruise-line tour that was reasonable and easy.  We've done it twice and would do it again.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 6:38 PM, gatorchinsky said:

No beaches on Antigua, hmmmm really. I would either completely change my mind and go to a beach or change my mind again and stay on the ship and bar hop.

👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 4:28 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

No beach?
Consider a tour to Shirley Heights, then Nelsons Dockyard, followed by a lunch, cocktails and relaxing lounger at Sheer Rocks, before taxi back to ship.

I stayed a few nights on Antigua a few years ago and did a tour that went to Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard but otherwise just drove around the island.  I like the sound of the tour you suggest.  Do you know which company books it?

3 hours ago, ILoveScotland said:

I stayed a few nights on Antigua a few years ago and did a tour that went to Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard but otherwise just drove around the island.  I like the sound of the tour you suggest.  Do you know which company books it?

You just take a taxi from the pier.  Do the tour, get dropped off at Sheer Rocks, enjoy one’s stay.  Then when ready to return to the ship, SR will call a known and reliable taxi.
If any concern, the SR will organise your private taxi tour and book lunch. The food is exceptional, probably the best light lunch in the Caribbean, along with the cocktails, which are made from scratch with care.  The views from one’s bed are wonderful and don’t forget to photograph.

SR will not disappoint those who are not beach fans.   It a class establishment and be prepared to be spoilt in the nicest possible way.

(Menu prices are in Eastern Caribbean Dollars)

On 6/17/2022 at 5:26 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

You just take a taxi from the pier.  Do the tour, get dropped off at Sheer Rocks, enjoy one’s stay.  Then when ready to return to the ship, SR will call a known and reliable taxi.
If any concern, the SR will organise your private taxi tour and book lunch. The food is exceptional, probably the best light lunch in the Caribbean, along with the cocktails, which are made from scratch with care.  The views from one’s bed are wonderful and don’t forget to photograph.

SR will not disappoint those who are not beach fans.   It a class establishment and be prepared to be spoilt in the nicest possible way.

(Menu prices are in Eastern Caribbean Dollars)

This sounds wonderful, PORT ROYAL if you weren't a salesman you should have been one. 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Wow that Sheer Rocks looks amazing!!  Making me re-think our plan...

Would "no beach" mean no beach AT ALL?  We are looking at Eli's Eco Tour.  I am not a lie-on-the-beach gal, I need activity!

Has anyone done Eli's?

Sheer Rocks does not, repeat not, have a beach, but great sea views from all aspects.

It is wonderfully quirky.  Enjoy….

• 3 weeks later...

If you're a foodie, try www.NicolesTable.com - we did the Cooking with Rum class and it was outstanding! It's in a private home on top of a hill overlooking St. John's Bay (you'll see your cruise ship in the distance from their lovely patio). You'll cook, eat and laugh and have a memorable experience. We're going back in January for more! The hardest part will be trying to find a cab driver willing to take you there from the cruise port - most are looking for all day tours, but keep trying and offer a generous tip.

• 1 year later...

This sounds so interesting! We love taking cooking classes.  Our last, many years ago now, was in Dominica. It too was in a private residence, in their outdoor kitchen.  I don't remember all of the menu, but we steamed fish, fried plantains, made a rice pudding and drank something that I'm still not sure of what it was 🤣.  

At our age, we don't need anything else to dust or wear so 😊

I'll contact her as well.  Maybe one of us will be lucky and get a response.  Happy Sailing