Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

1 hour ago, The P said:

Welcome home, Henry!

Hi, Sharon ... we are docked at Pier 88, foggy outside. 

Traditional Disembarkation Breakfast at Savor now. Very busy MDR, not everyone in a hurry, we can head for the gangway anytime between 8:15 to 9 am with priority. They are taking the accessible guests down the elevators already. Express walk off hasn't been called, waiting for the ship to be cleared (updated - called at 7:30 am)

We are heading home shortly.  It's waiting for you, have a great week onboard the Joy.  Bon Voyage for this week's you and all CC'ers on the Roll Call. 

PXL_20220515_111359277.jpg

PXL_20220515_111452476.jpg

PXL_20220515_111430117.jpg

PXL_20220515_112612943.jpg

PXL_20220515_114702123.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The line on the pier with the Express Self Asst, Yellow + 1 color has been called. Lots of folks in the atrium plus crews with approved shore leaves. 

Virtual farewell instead of the theater traditional goodbye.

PXL_20220515_120727060.jpg

PXL_20220515_120414099.jpg

PXL_20220515_120449474.jpg

PXL_20220515_120407709.jpg

PXL_20220515_120454568.jpg

PXL_20220515_120503393.jpg

PXL_20220515_120508813.jpg

• Like 4

8:35 am out past security to gangway.

All luggage colors called by now - they want us out 😸😸😸

8:45 luggage collected, fast track w porter thru CBP👌

8:55 cars ordered, crossing 12th Ave at 9 am 😁

9:15, upgrade minivan by Carmel ... heading home. Buckle up for ride safety. 👍

PXL_20220515_123532303.jpg

PXL_20220515_123730921.jpg

PXL_20220515_124213980.jpg

PXL_20220515_131046543.jpg

PXL_20220515_131715025.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back and thanks again, very much for taking the time out of your vacation to keep us all updated along the way. It has been very informative to prepare for our trip in 2 weeks. Safe travels home!!

Perry

• Like 1

Henry! It was a pleasure getting to meet you onboard. Hope you and yours have safe travels home, and I hope to see you again sometime! Maybe in the fall…

I was browsing through your review—stellar job as always!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

Henry! It was a pleasure getting to meet you onboard. Hope you and yours have safe travels home, and I hope to see you again sometime! Maybe in the fall…

Hey there - you surely got home quick & safely to Phila this morning, huh.  Rooftop parking is so easy & simple, a bit expensive, perhaps but unbeatable for convenience & safety while away for a week or whatever length.  It's too bad that we didn't have a good M&G, never mind mingle at the District Brew House with the mixed group.  Oh well - that's over.  

Car service dropped us off by 9:45 am and now, Susan is going to resume her usual Sunday morning nap and I'm off shortly to provisioning (grocery shopping, haha) and going to figure out what's for lunch, definitely closing our kitchen (gallery) today - refused to cook or clean.  The seniors in the other suite also got home safely - this one will be talked about for a long time, especially with that roller coaster ride Sunday night into Monday afternoon ... that's part of the Bermuda experience. 

Until we get the chance to meet onboard again on another cruise ... take care & wish you and family a great week ahead.  Feel free to add comments, thoughts & observations, etc. to this thread; and, or - to start your own mini review, short & concise or whatever format you are comfortable with.  Best regards.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

Welcome back and thanks again, very much for taking the time out of your vacation to keep us all updated along the way. It has been very informative to prepare for our trip in 2 weeks ... 

Perry - Thanks, we didn't really invoke Priority disembarkation this morning, LOL.  Room steward was waiting impatiently for us to clear out of our 2 suites so we vacated, hit the gangway at 8:35 am and flew past CBP by 8:50, porter walking our baggage & got home by 9:45 am.  

Hopefully, my discussion with the Guest Service Manager onboard will help ease some of the check-in issues with priorities sooner than later.  Do keep us posted later on your experience.  Wishing you & your Roll Call a great cruise week ahead.  

Henry - a/k/a "mking8288"

• Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to share. We are going on the same cruise in July. Your feedback was very helpful. We are a party of 13 so we will probably have to breakup for meals.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, peg013 said:

We are on the Gem a lot in January/February. We try to be on a ship for the Superbowl each year. Your screen name is familiar too. We were on the Gem for 6 weeks in Jan/Feb 2020.

It was way before 2020. and i think you did the slot pull or cabin crawl (some event) I rememebr following you around with some people.

16 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

It was way before 2020. and i think you did the slot pull or cabin crawl (some event) I rememebr following you around with some people.

Were you on the inaugural Escape TA? I helped with the cabin crawl on that one and we took a photo of our half of the cabin crawl group in the Solo Lounge. If you remember the ship, I have a folder for all 35 NCL cruises and the roll call listing if I ran anything. I know, I'm nuts! 🙃

It's been a while since George and I did the slot pulls & cabin crawls. They were fun before we got a good idea of the set up of most of the cabins/suites. As long as someone else runs the slot pull, we don't bother but we do participate. I'm on the other site more than here now but still check in to see what is going on. Plus I try to get others to come over to CC also. Once we started booking suites and haven, I kind of backed away so those not in a suite would have a slim chance of getting VIP if they ran the M&G. I hope we do a cabin crawl on the Prima in October. 

Edited by peg013
  • Like 2

Thank you Henry for the stellar info and pictures. Welcome back home. It was you and Susan who went on the cruise but I am the one who is having crusie withdrawal.

Will you post a link to your GA live please. I missed it totally since I was not checking NCL boards on CC.

You mentioned Charlie. I think he will have ambassador status times 2, by now or maybe NCL made him an honorary Master of the Vessel😁

Keep in touch. You have my email.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Thank you Henry for the stellar info and pictures. Welcome back home. It was you and Susan who went on the cruise but I am the one who is having crusie withdrawal.

Will you post a link to your GA live please. I missed it totally since I was not checking NCL boards on CC.

You mentioned Charlie. I think he will have ambassador status times 2, by now or maybe NCL made him an honorary Master of the Vessel😁
Keep in touch. You have my email.

AR & RJ - yes, we are going to keep in touch for sure.  Here's that Getaway Semi-Live from March 2022 - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840868-getaway-semi-live-limited-ny-florida-pc-gsc-nassau-3272022/

Just in case you are thinking about using those NCL certs (ours "were" extended from 2023 to 2025 by NCL automatically earlier this year, although we just used them all up ... so, picked up more this past week, in case there's another DoubeUp promo soon/again) - we decided to break our own rules & "early" book on the GA next January to the Carib's for 12 days (out of NY)  These are new ports to us (aside from PR & USVI) - should be a good one - despite the uncertainly with warnings of another surge, etc.)  First, we got some tough choices & decisions to make for September "Joy" ... now that we've experienced non-H Joy suite lives, kinda missed the real balcony - will write up a bit more shortly. 

There're some B2B on the Joy this week, saw room stewards moving luggage down the corridor as we made our way AFT for a quicker priority "exit" to the gangway - he's on almost every other cruise, if not B2B and with some of the NCL promos & deals, he's definitely doing good scoring his way to being honorary Master of the Vessel or equivalent. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your diligence and detail in your review.  Two weeks prior, I was in the same cabin class as you were on the Joy and share your observations and opinions, good and bad, about the rooms.  Also had a unorganized free-for-all for embarkation with no priority lines.  Hopefully your follow-up with the management will move the needle for improvements.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

AR & RJ - yes, we are going to keep in touch for sure.  Here's that Getaway Semi-Live from March 2022 - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840868-getaway-semi-live-limited-ny-florida-pc-gsc-nassau-3272022/

Just in case you are thinking about using those NCL certs (ours "were" extended from 2023 to 2025 by NCL automatically earlier this year, although we just used them all up ... so, picked up more this past week, in case there's another DoubeUp promo soon/again) - we decided to break our own rules & "early" book on the GA next January to the Carib's for 12 days (out of NY)  These are new ports to us (aside from PR & USVI) - should be a good one - despite the uncertainly with warnings of another surge, etc.)  First, we got some tough choices & decisions to make for September "Joy" ... now that we've experienced non-H Joy suite lives, kinda missed the real balcony - will write up a bit more shortly. 

There're some B2B on the Joy this week, saw room stewards moving luggage down the corridor as we made our way AFT for a quicker priority "exit" to the gangway - he's on almost every other cruise, if not B2B and with some of the NCL promos & deals, he's definitely doing good scoring his way to being honorary Master of the Vessel or equivalent. 

Henry, thanks for your work this week.  We will be doing B2B on the Joy in September (9/1 and 9/6).  Perhaps we will run into you.

My sense is you never got to meet Patrick Berido, the concierge.  I would like to email him to see if he will be still onboard in September.  Each NCL ship has a unique 2 or 3 digit code used in its email addresses.  I know the email address for the Joy's concierge will be conxx@ncl.com or conxxx@ncl.com.  If you got an officer's card at some point during the cruise, his/her email address was probably listed, including that 2 or 3 digit code.  If you don't want to post it here, perhaps you could email it to me at eichorns at aol dot com.  Thanks very much.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this review , we are on the September 1st 5 night sailing in a forward penthouse, coming over from Ireland so cant wait to get aboard. All this testing will be a nightmare.

We fly in 3 days early so have to have an antigen test 24hrs before flying, then to test again before boarding in Manhattan and then trying to sort the Bermuda travel authorization when we arrive its all going to be a headache but will do anything to get aboard.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruiservictor said:

< snipped > We will be doing B2B on the Joy in September (9/1 and 9/6).  Perhaps we will run into you. My sense is you never got to meet Patrick Berido, the concierge.  I would like to email him to see if he will be still onboard in September.  If you got an officer's card at some point during the cruise, his/her email address was probably listed, including that 2 or 3 digit code. 

Great to get feedback that this review is well received and details helpful, which I figured to be the case with the ship moving to the East Coast as home base (seasonally ?? - haven't look at her detailed deployment schedule, been too busy w everything else).  The way things looked, we'll be waiting to board as you disembark on the 2nd B2B. 

Correct, aside from the welcome letter in the suites signed off by Patrick & Ricardo, the GM until the ship reached Bermuda - never got the chance to meet, contact nor felt the need to reach out to him/his assistant or the team ... we managed just about everything quite well on our own.  I posted his internal / ship extension - the officer's card gave out by the Group Services Coordinators only had different department head's names and extensions, no email addresses for any of them.  Maybe, the leaders for the next 2 or 3 roll calls embarking later this month can find out for you.  

Messaging functions remained blocked & disabled by CC's admin since they made major changes several years ago.  Regardless, if I manage to find out privately from other sources, I will forward to you directly if the source prefer not to post it here.  

• Thanks 1

On a post-cruise related "observation" - the Joy is just backing out of Pier 88 now (at 5:00 pm or 17:00 hours) - when I last checked 15+ minutes ago, she was still docked - hopefully it's not that Bermuda TA again with more passengers this week, as we left on schedule & the provisional passes, maybe, made it possible.  Marinetraffic has the next port/destination listed now as heading for Norfolk, VA.  

BTW, as expected & confirmed by others on earlier Joy sailings with a stop planned for Norfolk, VA - absolutely no refund, adjustments or non-refundable OBC issued to us from last Monday (okay, blame it on mother nature & that freak storm with 30+ feet large wave and rough seas)

It is clear that the Joy's live shipcam is working just fine for us, accessible from home - it was offline for the entire week, initially had an error message about connection issues (Ch. 12 - Ch. 11 being the navigational info)  Ch 12 (shipcam) disappeared entirely from Tuesdy or Wednesday onward - the workaround to see or check on how rough things were plowing thru those large waves & sea states, had to use satellite WiFi to connect.  Not very good, IMHO, for a ship built & launch in 2018 - the Cisco hardware, routers & other systems on the Joy appeared fine & inTRAnet speed is quite fast (5 Ghz WiFi)

NCL Joy MCT-88 15-May-22 14.44.jpg

• Like 2

Important (Health) Update - well, a 2nd. round of Antigen Rapid test this afternoon confirmed my/our worst "fear" - and, that is NOT to set off panic and start the blame game, just to inform and strongly urge, recommend and advise any & all with plans to sail the Joy, to exercise due diligence.  Mask up correctly, especially when indoors & in crowded places - I don't think we can pinpoint precisely when & how or where we're exposed.  We're masked up this morning as we disembark the ship, thru the cruise terminal and in our car service ride home - we worn our masks last night in the Joy Theater & were otherwise mostly in our suite yesterday - a slim chance of spreading the risks to others.  

Luckily, symptoms are mild - we are fully vaxxed (Pfizer) and boosted - our BIL/SIL & her sister in the other suite were double boosted, tested negative after we alerted them.  The other SIL that're in "our" suite but in the smaller bedroom & bath by herself, boosted - tested also negative.  All 4 of them will doing the self test again in 48 to 72 hours just to be sure, sooner if they begin to experience symptoms - Susan had a fever of 100.6 earlier (it's down now), her SPO2 is fine at 96%, other basic vitals are fine - yours truly, I believe, has milder symptoms that can be easily mistaken for catching a cold or the flu.  

For the next 5 to 7 days, we are going to self-isolate, test again and stay put, I'm sleeping in the library/guest room's sofabed & going to follow CDC guidance.  We had tried to be as careful as we should but it's a challenge with the latest & highly contagious sub/variants prevalent in the NY area now.  

I had a hunch all week that something is being spread onboard & crew is trying to go above and beyond, thinking it's possibly norovirus.  I was wrong on that, it turned out to be C-19 & we caught it ourselves, unfortunately ...  Well, we knew the risks involved and took it, it was fine in late March on the Getaway, but - boo, just going to accept and take personal responsibilities for it.  If warranted, we can use tele-health, etc.  Plentiful provisions in the freeze & on pantry shelves to get us thru and get food delivered, etc.  We should be fine - count our blessings over the last 2 years - after a few days of home/bed rest - more time to hangout on CC 👴

C40EAFBF-31B0-422E-869A-0B89C365E43D.jpeg

Just think for a moment, if these were the results last Friday - would've ended up with denied boarding and ...  Somehow & somewhere, between Sunday and yesterday, while on this cruise - we became unlucky.  

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, cruiservictor said:

Henry, thanks for your work this week.  We will be doing B2B on the Joy in September (9/1 and 9/6).  Perhaps we will run into you.

My sense is you never got to meet Patrick Berido, the concierge.  I would like to email him to see if he will be still onboard in September.  Each NCL ship has a unique 2 or 3 digit code used in its email addresses.  I know the email address for the Joy's concierge will be conxx@ncl.com or conxxx@ncl.com.  If you got an officer's card at some point during the cruise, his/her email address was probably listed, including that 2 or 3 digit code.  If you don't want to post it here, perhaps you could email it to me at eichorns at aol dot com.  Thanks very much.

It's 67. 

• Thanks 2

@mking8288 so sorry I didn’t get to meet you at the M&G (silly time change lol) but other than that, sounds like I didn’t miss much. Sorry about your test results, but hope you guys are feeling better soon. Can’t wait to hear your post cruise thoughts, I have my own. Had a great time but some things are thought were eh. Thinking of doing post cruise review,  to very good at writing though so we’ll see. Maybe just tag along on your thoughts lol. Thanks again for taking the time to do this, hopefully meet some time on another cruise. Feel better soon 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Important (Health) Update - well, a 2nd. round of Antigen Rapid test this afternoon confirmed my/our worst "fear" -

Bummer. 🤧

Well at least you were fine for the cruise.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear your Health Update. I hope it is a mild case and passes quickly with no long lasting effects. DH ended up with it after our Jan 29, 2022 cruise. He had a slight cough the last 2 days of the cruise so we decided to test since we watch our Granddaughter. She was under 5 at the time and unable to be vaccinated so we didn't want to take any chances. Turned out to be a good decision. His test turned positive almost immediately. Mine remained negative thru another rapid and two PCR's over the next week. We are both vaxxed and double boosted now....only had one booster for the Jan cruise. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1