Excursions

rg123

We are on the Radiance of the Seas in Sept 2022 on a cruise that leaves Vancouver to Hawaii. As of today, RCCL has not posted any excursions (which I find a little unusual at this point in time). However, as first time visitors, I would like to start making some plans and am looking for your suggestions regarding favorite things to see or tour guides that you might recommend in the ports we're visiting. We are spending 6 days in Honolulu post-cruise and I think we've got our time there figured out.

We're visiting Kailua Kona, Hawaii ;   Nawiliwili, Kuauai;  Hilo, Hawaii;   Lahaina, Maui

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

In Lahaina I'd do whale watching/snorkel catamaran. Check Trilogy. Other possibilities are Haleakala or Iao Needle.

On Kaua'i look at excursions to the Napali Coast, maybe a helicopter tour or catamaran. Or look at a trip to Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

In Hilo I'd do a Volcano National Park tour.

Kona I'd do a coffee plantation tour.

It would help to know the length of time in each port.

• Thanks 1

We are doing a similar trip on Quantum in October from Vancouver to Hawaii.  We don't have any excursions available through RC yet either but I've done a lot of research.  You tube is a great resource.  In Lahaina we have an overnight stay so we are doing the Road to Hana one day and the other day will go to Black Rock in Kaanapali which has good snorkeling from the beach and a nice looking beach for my husband to enjoy.  Also, Lahaina is a nice town to just walk around.  After our cruise we are going to Kauai and will be doing a Napali Coast boat tour.  Holo holo Charters is highly recommended.  

If you have never done the Road to Hana before, make sure whoever drives wants to commit to a three hour drive each way even if you just go straight there and back.  Add slow traffic, hairpin turns, narrow road, other sightseers and their cars,. your own stops, etc. and you can spend eight to ten hours on the road.  Some people love it.  Others not so much.  It will eat up your whole day.  Just FYI - no sour grapes intended.   

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:06 PM, scottca075 said:

In Lahaina I'd do whale watching/snorkel catamaran. Check Trilogy. Other possibilities are Haleakala or Iao Needle.

The whales won't be back in time for this cruise. But I do agree that a snorkeling catamaran is a lovely day and I also like Trilogy directly from Lahaina.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:32 AM, Laurie JJ said:

will go to Black Rock in Kaanapali which has good snorkeling from the beach and a nice looking beach for my husband to enjoy.  

I just want you to be aware that Black Rock has the highest rate of drowning death in all of the Hawaiian islands. The current just outside the peak is extremely strong and very deceptive. Don't get me wrong, I still snorkel black rock fairly consistently, but it is one place where EXTRA caution is needed. 

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/article/Destination-may-be-Hawaii-drowning-capital-17020271.php

12 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

...you can spend eight to ten hours on the road.  

From Lahaina I would plan on at least ten hours, likely more. It's a crank just to get to the start of RTH and then the road itself is a slow (beautiful) crawl. I've driven it many times since January because every one who comes to visit me wants to go here, so I am fairly familiar with this drive. Give yourself LOTS of time and please be off the RTH by dark. It's ok to drive from Kahalui back to Lahaina in the dark, but make sure you are at Paia by sunset. Also, buy the shaka or gypsy app for this drive. I'd still be lost without it. Best $15 you will ever spend. 

Have fun!! 

Thank you all for your suggestions. We will certainly look into them. Our port times range from 8 to 6; 9 to 5; 9:30 to 7.  We do not have an overnight in Lahaina but it is our longest day--8 am to 10 pm. We should have time to do some fun things. Thanks again!

BermudaBound2, thanks for the heads up on Black Rock.  I had not heard that about the dangerous currents.  I appreciate the heads up and will be extra cautious or maybe look for a safer spot as I am not a strong swimmer.  Thanks also for the advice on the road to Hana.  Will follow it all!

1 hour ago, Laurie JJ said:

I had not heard that about the dangerous currents.  I appreciate the heads up and will be extra cautious or maybe look for a safer spot as I am not a strong swimmer.

I wouldn't let that deter you from going-- its one of the nicest beaches on the island. It was just prudent word of caution that once you get beyond a certain point (that frankly most swimmers would think is fairly far out) the currents can be difficult around the tip of the rock.

The swimming in the areas by the beach sheltered by Black Rock in front of the Sheraton are actually very calm. 

I think the advice was just to use caution the further out you swim. 

• 3 weeks later...

In Hilo, I would second Volcanos National Park tour.  We really enjoyed our time there.  The helicopter tour in Kauai out of Nawiliwili is breathtaking to see the Napali coast.  I would recommend doing this excursion mid to late morning when the fog has risen or early afternoon.  For Kona, we took a shuttle from one of the hotels in Kona to “turtle beach”.  This was fun, but black sand hurts the feet (wear water shoes).  The other option is to walk around on your own in Kona (there was a market and a shave ice place).  If you can do Haleakala, we did a sunset tour and we loved this as well.  Did not enjoy the Molokini crater snorkeling, the current was too strong when we went.  

If you are spending time in the Honolulu/Waikiki area, I would highly recommend Hanauma Bay for snorkeling.  Lots of fun, and you can get there by city bus.  

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, rg123 said:

We are on the Radiance of the Seas in Sept 2022 on a cruise that leaves Vancouver to Hawaii. As of today, RCCL has not posted any excursions (which I find a little unusual at this point in time). However, as first time visitors, I would like to start making some plans and am looking for your suggestions regarding favorite things to see or tour guides that you might recommend in the ports we're visiting. We are spending 6 days in Honolulu post-cruise and I think we've got our time there figured out.

We're visiting Kailua Kona, Hawaii ;   Nawiliwili, Kuauai;  Hilo, Hawaii;   Lahaina, Maui

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

I;m on this cruise also.  Has anyone done the fixed wing tour (Wings over Kauai)   ?  There is a roll call for this cruise but not really active - think it will be after excursions are posted.  Maybe we can even register for Meet and Mingle.  Was told that not to except excursions listed  until 3 months out!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Princess in Oct. doesn't offer much for excursions so I have been checking on my own. Anybody know why Nutrients and Chiefs show nothing available not just in Oct. but before and after our time frame?

Have used Robert's before but they have nothing either? Would like a tour that picks up and drops at the pier near the Clock Tower at least.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Princess in Oct. doesn't offer much for excursions so I have been checking on my own. Anybody know why Nutrients and Chiefs show nothing available not just in Oct. but before and after our time frame?

I assume you mean "Nutridge" and got auto corrected.

I went the Facebook page for Experience Nutridge and saw tons of open dates.

https://www.facebook.com/experiencenutridgehawaii/?modal=admin_todo_tour

8 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

I had the correct place I checked Monday the 10th.

I did my math wrong and thought we were in Honolulu the 11th.

I called Nutridge, (808) 531-5050, and every Monday they do a "private" luau for a hotel, which is why every Monday is listed as "sold out", but no other days in October.

They did say to call the week before and if the hotel doesn't have all their slots filled, they might have room for other people, but it is a week to week thing.

PS I should have asked which hotel and then see if you could book through the hotel.

Edited by scottca075

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, getaway101 said:

i thought the port in Lahaina was closed for repairs.

The cruise port is undergoing a revamping so it has a limited capacity. They are  accepting fewer ships than they once did until the upgrade is complete. So it is hit and miss if you are on a ship that stops at Lahaina.