ST. KITTS taxi driver warning!

sis0876

Yes last year in St Kitts we had 'Elvis' Mr nice going to cockleshell beach,

but on way back like Mr Nasty stopped for photo's said ' have one minute'

or I'm going'and then drove back to ship like a maniac.We were with 6 other people we did'nt know, but got together and said NO TIP and I've got to say I enjoyed look on his face.

We are back in St.K.on our next cruise starting next week, so I'll be more careful who I pick,but I've got say he was the only unpleasent person we met on the Island

If you use the search feature on this forum and look cappy taxi or Clement Richards you should be able to find a review I wrote on this driver. I don't remember his e-mail address right now otherwise I would post it. However, he was really good. I already wrote a good review about him and I have recommended him several times so I won't repeat myself here. Good luck and have a good time no matter whom you use.

Just back from a cruise last week, used Jim and Rose Taxi ( written accross the van) had a wonderful time. Jim was very knowledgable of the whole Island, took the time to show us our interests as well. No hurry at any stops. I had read a review (I do a cut & paste document and take it along for each port). We actually saw the van from our ship and approached him. Ended up with 8, our choice as we let others join us. Offered a great rate and a great tour.

we have used Jim from Jim and Rose (his wife and wonderful sweet lady) twice. He is a wonderful man, and great driver. He is born and bred in St Kitts. I emailed them in advance and he was waiting for the 5 of us when we arrived in November. For $200, he took us everywhere we wanted to go for the entire day, dropped us at the beach for a few hours in the afternoon and picked us back up when we requested. We love the guy. He even took the kids on a hike through the rain forest and explained the different vegetation and ecosystem. Their email is below:

rose_jim@sisterisles.kn

may take a bit for them to get back to you. tell him the Crowleys said hi.

• 1 month later...

Gotta tell you...our taxi driver in St.Kitts was a jerk,too.

Nice going to Brimstone Hill, via the Carib petroglyph and Romney Manor Batik,

but on the way back comes the big sell, re. continuing on beyond the dock for a bit more $$$.

Wife and I ducked out at the dock, and the others continued on at his mercy.

He was an ex-policeman guy. don't know his name, don't care to.

Officious(as I guess disgruntled policemen can be...)

It is too bad that you had an experience like that. Was he a member of the taxi association? The members of the association have photo ID's which they do wear. Did his license plate on his vehicle begin with a T and yellow?

Is there a particular person or company you would recommend to use for a tour around St. Kitts? I see that you frequent CC and know alot about the island. Also, would you recommend spending a few hours at the Marriott using their pool, etc. and enjoy the scenery and R&R over going to Cockershell Beach? Thanks for your advise.

To use the Marriott's facilities (pool etc) you have to have a day pass. I would hire a taxi/tour guide & visit the Island's attractions instead of doing the Marriott. That is my opinion. I have visited St Kitts/Nevis many times(24). There are many good tour guides that will accommodate your needs.

Here is a list of taxi drivers I highly recommend:

Thenford Grey thenang06@yahoo.com 664-7972

Wycliffe McIntosh toshskb@hotmail.com 466-3464

Seamoss 662-3826

Mr. T 660-6454

You can't go wrong with any of these drivers!

I looked at the taxi schedule and can not find.

From Basseterre to cockshell how much....will be over 4 people...and if we have someone drop us off for the day...can we tell them to come back at 4-5...and trust they will pick us up...do you get a phone number?? I just want to walk around white house and cockshell and snorkel for the day...

Anybody know the cost and if they come back??:confused:

The best way to make sure that they will return is to pay them after your ride is done. They will do this if asked. Ask the price before beginning the tour. Be fair to them & they will treat you right.

The best way to make sure that they will return is to pay them after your ride is done. They will do this if asked. Ask the price before beginning the tour. Be fair to them & they will treat you right.

Do you know the price?? And is it still 1 US dollar equals 2 euro?? Since the value of the dollar has drop has this changed??

The exchange rate between the East Caribbean Dollar & the US dollar is pretty much fixed. 1 US dollar is equal to 2.67 EC dollars. So as other currencies move up or down against the US dollar you could get more or less EC dollars. The US dollar is accepted widely on the Island. Other currencies such as the British pound,Euro & Canadian dollar are not.

The exchange rate between the East Caribbean Dollar & the US dollar is pretty much fixed. 1 US dollar is equal to 2.67 EC dollars. So as other currencies move up or down against the US dollar you could get more or less EC dollars. The US dollar is accepted widely on the Island. Other currencies such as the British pound,Euro & Canadian dollar are not.

So if a taxi says "50 dollars"I should be clear and say 25 US dollars??

No, They will quote prices in both US dollars & EC dollars. As an example from their fare chart: Basseterre to Turtle Beach(SE Peninsula), 1 to 4 people is US 26 dollars or 69 EC dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last month. When we first got off the ship and tried to hire a taxi, we were turned off by the hollering, herding, do it their way manner that was going on. (No reflection on St. Kitts...it's that way everywhere I've been) We couldn't get the big van drivers even to listen to our request. So we killed a few minutes shopping while the crowd thinned out, then went back out to try to hire a taxi.

We found a sweet, smart, wonderful lady who had her own, regular size car. Yes, she is a licensed taxi. No, it wasn't brand new, but it was reliable & got us around. She was willing to take just DH and me to our requested beach, stay with us, and return us to the ship. We, of course, paid her for her extra time. The point is, she won't force you into a crowd, will do what you, the customer, want and are paying for, plus she gave us a lot of interesting conversation, information, & answers to our myriad of tourist questions. If this sounds like what you want, she is Marlene's Taxi & Tours.

Kassall162@hotmail.com 868-465-3637 or 869-667-9637

Edited by waterbug2

You CAN find good taxi/tour drivers in St Kitts. The problems evolved when the govt. closed the sugar factory then issued many more permits to operate taxis. It has become very competitive to operate a taxi on the island. The owners of the Port Zante area then moved the driver/vans further away from the arrival bldg which has resulted in the mass confusion & the hustling for a fare upon arriving. You can walk into town & find a driver also.

• 3 weeks later...

In March, the price to Cockleshell from Bassetterre was $26 U.S. They generally quote everything to tourists in $US.

Marlene Greene is a very professional, reliable, considerate guide and taxi driver who will do what she says, give you what you hire her for, with no pushy, hard sell. Knowledgeable lady, she said she is also a C.P.A. They all seem to have another job or career. 869-667-9637 or kassall162@hotmail.com

Edited by waterbug2

• 7 years later...

We went on a cruise in June 2016. We got off the ship at St. Kitts with no plans. My husband was approached by a man who offered for our family of 4 to take an all day tour of the island for $100. He handed us off to "Mr. Tank" who had a white van. Mr. Tank was not very friendly or informative. He drove very fast and seemed to be rushing the tour. He seemed annoyed with us. When he returned to the ship, he demanded $200. My husband told him that we were quoted a price of $100 but that we would give him all we had which was $150. He refused the money and tried to stop us from getting our bag out to the van. He even wrestled our 20 year old son for it. We called the police to help us with this man. They were not much help. Beware of Mr. Tank and make sure you hire a reputable driver with good reviews before getting into a vehicle. I have learned a valuable lesson.

I hate to hear of these bad experiences in St. Kitts. We are just back from cruising on Adventure OTS & had the best experience with Thenford Grey tours. We booked online prior to cruise & it was the best tour we've ever taken! We will be using them again next visit to St. Kitts.

In March we spent about 5 hours with Rose of Jim & Rose Taxi - it was fantastic. So many people along the way knew her & we laughed a lot. We had been on St. Kitts many times & have done many tours but she took us to places no one ever did before. When we got to the black rocks, half the people there knew her and she has a lot of interesting background info & info specific to St. Kitts. We could not believe how inexpensive this tour was & it was just the 4 of us seeing things we chose to see & skipping some of the things we've seen 10 times. As a matter of fact, we have someone with us who has never been on St. Kitts on the next cruise & already booked Rose again - can't wait.

Wow, some of these posts are kinda scary! How about just taking a taxi to a certain location and back and not doing a tour? I need to go to Dolphin Discovery and was planning on just taking a taxi. Anyone have experience with that or thoughts on that? Sounds like it's pretty close to the pier but too far to walk unfortunately.