Cell Phones

We were wondering in order to cruise do you need to own a cell phone. We had a Nokia Flip Phone 1996 and only used it for emergency purposes. It didn't have internet and all those fancy do-dads. Our kids think we are crazy but have gotten along with out one.

8 minutes ago, Howasaur said:

We were wondering in order to cruise do you need to own a cell phone. We had a Nokia Flip Phone 1996 and only used it for emergency purposes. It didn't have internet and all those fancy do-dads. Our kids think we are crazy but have gotten along with out one.

Interesting that you should post this item just now!

Yesterday, I received a communication from Oceania regarding info for an upcoming cruise. Among the items was this:

PRE-TRAVEL ADVICE:

Oceania Cruises strongly recommends that all guests travel with a latest generation Smart Phone or Tablet and that you have the appropriate voice and data plan enabled.  

A Smart Phone or Tablet is essential for international travel as many countries require that travelers complete online entry forms. 

Additionally, some countries such as Malta mandate the use of the VeriFly app. Please be certain to download all essential apps PRIOR to beginning travel.

That said, traveling without a newer smart phone and the ever-increasing number of appropriate travel apps is NOT a good idea. 
(Even domestic travel can be problematic without a smart-phone [e.g., Storage of QR code’s like the “Safe Travel” one required for Hawaii]).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I find this an interesting topic by the OP as they apparently are rather seasoned cruisers with both HAL and Disney over a number of years and seem to have been able to successfully do so in the past without a smartphone.  Wonder what they have done in the past and why this is a concern now?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I find this an interesting topic by the OP as they apparently are rather seasoned cruisers with both HAL and Disney over a number of years and seem to have been able to successfully do so in the past without a smartphone.  Wonder what they have done in the past and why this is a concern now?

Because there's a pandemic on which requires a) more paperwork (normally online) and b) increases the risk of plans changing last minute. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Howasaur said:

We had a Nokia Flip Phone 1996 and only used it for emergency purposes.

!!!!! Are you sure about the age of that phone? That was around the time of analog phones, and analog service (1G) was phased out in 2008. 2G digital service was introduced in 1991, and should have been phased out by the Canadian carriers at the end of last year. 

7 hours ago, lissie said:

Because there's a pandemic on which requires a) more paperwork (normally online) and b) increases the risk of plans changing last minute. 

I certainly realize all of that and guess I was looking at it based on our experience where we usually don't use our smartphones for any of that either and typically use a tablet instead. (Just our preference).  Other than on board where the cruise line's app is more easily used with our smartphones, we usually only rely on them for communications and pictures.  (The interactive TV can also be used for the same on board functions as the smartphone app). 🙂

Z'Loth: Yes I'm sure of the date. We got the phone for our daughter who was going to school and wanted something just for Calling her or for her to call home also we could leave a message. I realize their were better featured phones out in the market at the time but didn't need those feathers 

17 minutes ago, Howasaur said:

Z'Loth: Yes I'm sure of the date. We got the phone for our daughter who was going to school and wanted something just for Calling her or for her to call home also we could leave a message. I realize their were better featured phones out in the market at the time but didn't need those feathers 

But (and there’s no way out of it if international travel is in your plans), you’ll now need “those feathers.”

Take a look at the newest iPhones. They have a basic “affordable” model and, important for you, their phone call tech support is US based with capacity for “screen sharing” help and advanced level support for specific issues/questions (even when the warranty period is over).

20 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Do you need a smartphone? No. Will it make things easier, yes.

Can’t make a wholesale comment like that. There truly are some situations worldwide, involving things like E-visas, where a it is all but impossible to not have/use a smart phone.

A great example would be Malta, which requires use of VeriFLY for entry. The list of other countries requiring smart phone apps like VeriFLY or their own proprietary Visa software is growing.

12 hours ago, Howasaur said:

I have never used a phone or the Internet on a cruise.I have several friends who do not own computers or cell phone and they get along fine .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

!!!!! Are you sure about the age of that phone? That was around the time of analog phones, and analog service (1G) was phased out in 2008. 2G digital service was introduced in 1991, and should have been phased out by the Canadian carriers at the end of last year. 

Ericsson GA318

Motorola 8400

Motorola 8700

Motorola StarTAC 85

Motorola StarTAC Lite

Nokia 1610

Nokia 2110i

Nokia 8110

Nokia 9000 Communicator

Nortel m900

Orbitel 903

DON

13 hours ago, Howasaur said:

So glad you've posted this.  I'm good with a computer but clueless with the phone.  I've had a smart phone for years and use it a bit for talk and text.  I've never understood why people want to be 'instantly reachable', so I've avoided learning any more.  It's a Tracphone that costs $125 a year.  I am very reluctant to commit to hundreds of dollars a year for cell phone service.    But I know the time is coming when I'll need to utilize it for travel, even if just to access the ship's app.  And I know that cell phones do the same thing in 6 different ways, press this button and get that, press this button again and get something else; it all seems quite daunting ... it will be a steep learning curve to get it all functional. 

About all I know is how to turn the internet on ... I have no idea how to learn about all this stuff.  Where does one start?  Is there an 'android system school' I can attend ... aimed at totally ignorant folks like me?  Can I hire a 'tutor' to walk me through it all and obtain a feel for how it works?  We don't have a cruise until September, but I'd like to get started now.   The last thing I want to do is fool around with a freaking phone trying to get something done and wasting my precious vacation time.

14 hours ago, Howasaur said:

Gave up my work cell phone the day I retired about 10 yrs ago. Haven't had one since and don't miss it. Don't have a problem, as I can do everything on the laptop and print out copies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Gave up my work cell phone the day I retired about 10 yrs ago. Haven't had one since and don't miss it. Don't have a problem, as I can do everything on the laptop and print out copies.

I agreed with you until recently ... there are things now that you only access on a cell phone.  Avalon Waterways, for example, has an app that gives you everything about your river cruise, including maps of the towns you visit and lots more stuff.  Not available for a computer.  That's the kind of thing that is making me think I'd better get with it if I don't want to get smacked upside the head one day.  I'll never be the type to wave my phone to board an airplane, but more and more on-the-go travel information is available only for a phone.

53 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I agreed with you until recently ... there are things now that you only access on a cell phone.  Avalon Waterways, for example, has an app that gives you everything about your river cruise, including maps of the towns you visit and lots more stuff.  Not available for a computer.  That's the kind of thing that is making me think I'd better get with it if I don't want to get smacked upside the head one day.  I'll never be the type to wave my phone to board an airplane, but more and more on-the-go travel information is available only for a phone.

I have an easy solution, if they want me to use a cell phone they have 2 choices - accommodate my lack of a cell phone, or lose a potential customer.😁

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I have an easy solution, if they want me to use a cell phone they have 2 choices - accommodate my lack of a cell phone, or lose a potential customer.😁

Yahbut (old Minnesota term), I want what they're giving out on cell phones!

25 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Yahbut (old Minnesota term), I want what they're giving out on cell phones!

lots of how to videos on youtube  or ask a teenager 😉

• Like 2

Hmmm.... I would be dead in the water without my calendar and contacts synchronized between my desktop and my mobile phone. I could give a list of what I use my mobile for, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. 

On 5/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, Heidi13 said:

There has to be a middle ground somewhere.  OK, I bought a smart phone.  I like its ability for me to make long distance calls without the landline charges/taxes when I use the landline phone.  If I can remember how to access what few apps that I have installed, that's helpful.  The phone "chirps" once in awhile.  I have learned that it is a "notification" of some type.  When I turn it on, what's the notification?  Nothing is different that I see.  

I do not see acquiring this phone has been of any benefit to my pre-cell phone life.  

At least, I am not receiving any robo call on the thing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There has to be a middle ground somewhere.  OK, I bought a smart phone.  I like its ability for me to make long distance calls without the landline charges/taxes when I use the landline phone.  If I can remember how to access what few apps that I have installed, that's helpful.  The phone "chirps" once in awhile.  I have learned that it is a "notification" of some type.  When I turn it on, what's the notification?  Nothing is different that I see.  

I do not see acquiring this phone has been of any benefit to my pre-cell phone life.  

At least, I am not receiving any robo call on the thing.  

Yeah, the whole cell phone thing is weird for us grown-ups.  I've banged around on it enough times to be able to see recent texts and recent phone calls and I can call voicemail. My phone is an excellent alarm clock, and I love the sounds for getting a good night's sleep. It does seem that every time you try to accomplish something on your smart phone, it's done a different way ... maybe keeping me bewildered is the goal.  Since advice like 'ask a teenager' is not very helpful,  I just ordered Android Phones for Dummies at the Library and I'm going to learn everything  about this dopey thing before our next cruise in September.  If I make good progress, I'll get the book to keep.

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The phone "chirps" once in awhile.  I have learned that it is a "notification" of some type.  When I turn it on, what's the notification?  Nothing is different that I see.  

To view notifications, you need to slide your finger from the top of the screen downward to open up the notification drawer. You can then tap on the notification to see full details, or swipe left/right to dismiss. 

17 hours ago, jsn55 said:

It does seem that every time you try to accomplish something on your smart phone, it's done a different way ... maybe keeping me bewildered is the goal.  Since advice like 'ask a teenager' is not very helpful,  I just ordered Android Phones for Dummies at the Library and I'm going to learn everything  about this dopey thing before our next cruise in September.  If I make good progress, I'll get the book to keep.

My first Android phone was a graduation gift to myself after graduating college... in December, 2010 at age 41. (That's a story in itself). Since then, there have been plenty of improvements. I'm technically inclined, and it took me some time of really using the phone to get used to Android. There are also plenty of YouTube video tutorials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  I will try that.  

I did.  Only the original apps that came with the phone appeared.  I thought I had installed the NBC News app.  It was not there.  I think the notification chime I received today was a link to a game because I did see that.  Got rid of that.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I did.  Only the original apps that came with the phone appeared.  I thought I had installed the NBC News app.  It was not there.  I think the notification chime I received today was a link to a game because I did see that.  Got rid of that.  

Without knowing the make/model/operating system of the phone, I'm only guessing. But, if it's Android, then installing apps won't automatically go to the home screen. Try swiping from the bottom of the phone upward to show all of your installed application.