Cell Phones

On 5/21/2022 at 9:33 PM, Z'Loth said:

Try swiping from the bottom of the phone upward to show all of your installed application. 

It made no difference.  I have a Samsung Galaxy A12 phone.  

On 5/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, jsn55 said:

So glad you've posted this.  I'm good with a computer but clueless with the phone.  I've had a smart phone for years and use it a bit for talk and text.  I've never understood why people want to be 'instantly reachable', so I've avoided learning any more.  It's a Tracphone that costs $125 a year.  I am very reluctant to commit to hundreds of dollars a year for cell phone service.    But I know the time is coming when I'll need to utilize it for travel, even if just to access the ship's app.  And I know that cell phones do the same thing in 6 different ways, press this button and get that, press this button again and get something else; it all seems quite daunting ... it will be a steep learning curve to get it all functional. 

About all I know is how to turn the internet on ... I have no idea how to learn about all this stuff.  Where does one start?  Is there an 'android system school' I can attend ... aimed at totally ignorant folks like me?  Can I hire a 'tutor' to walk me through it all and obtain a feel for how it works?  We don't have a cruise until September, but I'd like to get started now.   The last thing I want to do is fool around with a freaking phone trying to get something done and wasting my precious vacation time.

Get an iPhone. Go to the Apple Store where you can take a wide variety of classes with many geared to absolute beginners and the class size is limited to <10 people. US based support complete with screen sharing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, rkacruiser said:

It made no difference.  I have a Samsung Galaxy A12 phone.  

OK, here are some help articles:

Also, a help video called Samsung Galaxy A12 for Beginners (Learn the Basics in Minutes) with Part 1 and Part 2

Edited by Z'Loth
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:55 AM, Z&#x27;Loth said:

OK, here are some help articles:

Also, a help video called Samsung Galaxy A12 for Beginners (Learn the Basics in Minutes) with Part 1 and Part 2

Thank you for your help.  I will access these links and try to learn.  I really appreciate your help.  

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for your help.  I will access these links and try to learn.  I really appreciate your help.  

Your welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

As this (and myself) age perhaps this answer has been given. I power down the overpriced iPhone when we leave port and bring out the $25 dollar LG Android phone purchased on Amazon. I have deleted all the trash apps and downloaded the ones necessary for the cruise and used them while at sea. 

The camera is the only compromise, and I have also downloaded a few playlists from Spotify Pro for listening via headphones or a speaker in the cabin.

See you at sea.

29 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

As this (and myself) age perhaps this answer has been given. I power down the overpriced iPhone when we leave port and bring out the $25 dollar LG Android phone purchased on Amazon. I have deleted all the trash apps and downloaded the ones necessary for the cruise and used them while at sea. 

The camera is the only compromise, and I have also downloaded a few playlists from Spotify Pro for listening via headphones or a speaker in the cabin.

See you at sea.

Well, if this darling doggie can do it, so can I.  I don't learn well from videos, but the "Android for Dummies" book is great ... I'm having a ball learning.  I got several books from the library, then ordered the Dummies book from Amazon.  It really IS fun to learn all this stuff.  Lots of fun, but I haven't learned much serious info, hopefully I'll be comfortable enough by September to use the NCL app successfully.

48 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Well, if this darling doggie can do it, so can I.  I don't learn well from videos, but the "Android for Dummies" book is great ... I'm having a ball learning.  I got several books from the library, then ordered the Dummies book from Amazon.  It really IS fun to learn all this stuff.  Lots of fun, but I haven't learned much serious info, hopefully I'll be comfortable enough by September to use the NCL app successfully.

Made me laugh. I should send my cheap phone to you. We don't cruise again until August. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 9:12 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I have never used a phone or the Internet on a cruise.I have several friends who do not own computers or cell phone and they get along fine .

pre-pandemic?  It's a new world - things are not the same - it's a new 'normal'. Keeping a photo of your vaccine status is critical these days.  As mentioned previously, Verifly apps and e-visas seem to be a new norm. Not to mention getting any flight updates in these crazy times.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, klsd said:

pre-pandemic?  It's a new world - things are not the same - it's a new 'normal'. Keeping a photo of your vaccine status is critical these days.  As mentioned previously, Verifly apps and e-visas seem to be a new norm. Not to mention getting any flight updates in these crazy times.

I also don't use a cell phone, haven't had one since I retired almost 10 yrs ago. Since I lived with the infernal thing 24/7/365, I don't even miss it.

Even post pandemic, I haven't experienced any issues, even with travel. Everything can be printed.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I also don't use a cell phone, haven't had one since I retired almost 10 yrs ago. Since I lived with the infernal thing 24/7/365, I don't even miss it.

Even post pandemic, I haven't experienced any issues, even with travel. Everything can be printed.

Life was wonderful before automation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

You might want to look carefully at the requirements of travel today.  If this stuff is not all on a phone, you're directed 'over there' to stand in a line for manual processing for checkin.  Your choice, of course, there will always be accommodations made ... but that might be far more annoying than getting a book from the library now and learning how to use your phone.  I am having a great time with "'Android for Dummies" and my phone.  They even have the same title with 'for Seniors' added to it.  

• Like 1

The post above gave me a chuckle.  Heidi13 is probably among the most well-traveled posters on CC;  not exactly a novice.

We, too, cruise without a phone, and have not run into any difficulties.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, shipgeeks said:

We, too, cruise without a phone, and have not run into any difficulties.

Good luck with that. There was an article posted recently titled Flying to Your Cruise: How to Travel This Summer Amid the Chaos. One of the pieces of advice is "Download the Airline’s App, and Search Social Media". That app will give you the latest up-to-date information on your flight including the gate. 

In addition, today's smart phones replace multiple devices. You can use the parking feature of Google Maps to set where the ship is "parked" to make it easier to get back to the ship. It's an organizer, audio player, video player, and yes, you can use Yelp and Zomato to find some local restaurants and other points of interest. I have scans of my driver's license, passport, vaccination record, and other key documents stored in a secure folder that I can access from my phone, tablet, and computer. Hilton has a feature where, if you are staying at one of their supported properties, the mobile device acts as your room key. 

9 hours ago, Z&#x27;Loth said:

Good luck with that. There was an article posted recently titled Flying to Your Cruise: How to Travel This Summer Amid the Chaos. One of the pieces of advice is "Download the Airline’s App, and Search Social Media". That app will give you the latest up-to-date information on your flight including the gate. 

In addition, today's smart phones replace multiple devices. You can use the parking feature of Google Maps to set where the ship is "parked" to make it easier to get back to the ship. It's an organizer, audio player, video player, and yes, you can use Yelp and Zomato to find some local restaurants and other points of interest. I have scans of my driver's license, passport, vaccination record, and other key documents stored in a secure folder that I can access from my phone, tablet, and computer. Hilton has a feature where, if you are staying at one of their supported properties, the mobile device acts as your room key. 

This is all great ... everyone knows the many uses for a smart phone.  Our problem is learning how to use the thing.  Steep learning curve for many people.  I'm doing well in my 'education' but there are few opportunities to test my knowledge to see if I can actually DO something that I might need to do in an 'emergency'.   

• Like 1

More and more I yearn for the way I traveled the world during my first 45 years:  passport, vax book, ticket for first leg of the trip, some cash, travellers cheques, wrist watch.  No credit card, no ATMs. The occasional phone booth somewhere.  

Do today's devices simplify world travel?  Not in my opinion.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, 1025cruise said:

Do you need a smartphone? No. Will it make things easier, yes.

You need some sort of phone in your life, and fewer and fewer of us have land lines.  Personally, we ditched our land line 10+ years ago, and we aren't missing it.  

On 5/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, jsn55 said:

So glad you've posted this.  I'm good with a computer but clueless with the phone. 

I'm better with a computer -- I find the larger screen and mouse easier than the small screen. 

I know that Pinterest and YouTube have lots of short videos for cameras and other electronics.  I've never specifically looked for phone instruction, but I suspect it exists.  I love watching an educational video because I can rewatch without feeling foolish because I need a repeat.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2022 at 12:15 PM, klsd said:

More than just a vaxx status photo, I have a fantastic health app that allows me to access -- it's sponsored by the hospital /medical groups in this area: 

- Appointment scheduling /waiting times for Urgent Cares and ERs 

- Details from my past appointments -- for years 

- All my lab details -- and tracking so I can see how my A1C or cholesterol has changed over the years

- Payments 

- Oh, yeah, and my vaccinations -- not just Covid 

I love that app.  My husband has it on his phone too, so we have access to one another's medical information in case of an emergency.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm better with a computer -- I find the larger screen and mouse easier than the small screen. 

I know that Pinterest and YouTube have lots of short videos for cameras and other electronics.  I've never specifically looked for phone instruction, but I suspect it exists.  I love watching an educational video because I can rewatch without feeling foolish because I need a repeat.  

I'm laughing ... I refuse to watch how-to videos for complex activities.  For me, they're great for showing you how to cut your husband's hair during the pandemic but stuff like learning a smart phone?  Not so much.  "Android for Dummies" book is perfect for how I learn.  Just like planning a trip to somewhere unfamiliar, I visit the library first, determine which book is best for my learning style, and then buy it.  I was astonished to see that my cheap smartphone takes terrific photos, for instance.  I applaud anyone over the age of 55 who is game to learn new skills, it's SO GOOD for our brains!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, shipgeeks said:

More and more I yearn for the way I traveled the world during my first 45 years:  passport, vax book, ticket for first leg of the trip, some cash, travellers cheques, wrist watch.  No credit card, no ATMs. The occasional phone booth somewhere.  

Do today's devices simplify world travel?  Not in my opinion.

The phone can help reschedule a cancelled flight in these chaotic travel times.  And the airline may send you a message about flight cancellations or delays while you are on your 1st flight. And an Apple Airtag can help locate your luggage in the mountains of bags in airports. I wonder if some of those people will see their bags even in 3 months. Some airlines app will track your baggage.  I bet the luggage shipping services will be doing big time business for those who can't do carry-on only.

And, I had never thought to use the 'parking function' to find a ship or hotel. - genius. Thanks for the tip.

And I love not having the extra weight of drag a camera around.

And being able to call friends using What's app with only Internet

And some airlines have you download the app to use their entertainment system onboard. - no app - no entertainment.

And your choice of music while waiting for flights.

on my gosh - so much is available in a small handheld container.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, jsn55 said:

This is all great ... everyone knows the many uses for a smart phone.  Our problem is learning how to use the thing.  Steep learning curve for many people.  I'm doing well in my 'education' but there are few opportunities to test my knowledge to see if I can actually DO something that I might need to do in an 'emergency'.   

Sometimes, the best way to learn is to actually do it. Want to learn about the GPS app? Try using it in familiar surroundings in your hometown rather than on a big family vacation. Downloading the movies/music/shows for viewing offline? Best to try it at home, then go into "Airplane mode", and see if it works. 

On 7/4/2022 at 10:04 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

You need some sort of phone in your life, and fewer and fewer of us have land lines.  Personally, we ditched our land line 10+ years ago, and we aren't missing it.  

Landline free for almost 20 years simply because it was easier to use a mobile phone than a landline. Also, the plans got better at a lower price. 

On 7/4/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

The challenge I have is people think they can use only the mobile smartphone or the computer and large screen. What is wrong with using both? That's the benefit of cloud computing. I can set up the bare-bones appointment on my mobile (or duplicate an existing appointment), then add in the details when I get back home. 

It should be noted that I'm a computer tech, and even I sometimes consult YouTube videos when trying out a new technique or procedure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Many very interesting posts since I lasted visited this thread.  Thanks to all who have "spoken".  

I have not traveled since Covid appeared.  I have gotten a smartphone in anticipation of trying to "keep going".  Thanks to the posts that I have read on CC before I made that decision, it was apparent that having a smartphone could be a benefit.

The learning curve, however, is steep.  Experimentation seems to be my best way of learning what the darn phone can do.  But, timid me, I worry about getting into a situation where I cannot get the phone back to the phone's keyboard.  Being able to make a phone call is the prime reason I even bought my first cell phone.  

I will never relinquish my landline phone.  The audio quality of the landline is excellent.  I have a friend whose Apple phone provides very difficult audio for me to hear at times.  My Nephew (don't know what phone he uses, but, its an Android I am sure) and my Niece-in-Law uses a phone that I have to repeatedly ask them to repeat what they said.  

The recommendations about the Dummies book, for me, might be as valuable as the Dummies for Windows 10 was for me.  I bought it.  I cracked the cover.  I read the parts that seemed relevant to me.  (Grade of helpfulness for that:  C)  I learned to use Windows 10 to do what I want Windows 10 to do.  That's what I want from my smartphone.  

• Like 1