One pair of shoes?

I would love to travel with just one pair of shoes.  However, I cannot find one pair of shoes that works for light hiking, long walks around towns, around the pool/beach, dressy or formal nights on cruise ships (or whatever it is called now), etc.  so, I usually take a pair of sandals that work for formal nights and pool/beach as well as walking around towns plus a pair of comfortable shoes that can be worn around town and light hiking.  Has anyone found one pair of shoes that works for everything?

Of course not!  Perhaps a man could travel with one pair of shoes, as long as he didn't care if people make fun of him in the MDR on formal night.  I have never believed anyone who says they travel with one pair of shoes, I think they make that up.  One thing I have stumbled upon is black velvet slippers that just slip on.  They're great for almost any activity on the ship and look just fine for dinner. I got the original ones made of leather, not too heavy, from a catalogue.  My latest pair (found at Target I think) are weightless and have little black jet spangles on the toes, tres chic.  I also have a pair of very lightweight flippers with narrow straps; they look decent for going around the ship. 

• Like 1

I'm also in the 'of course not' Club. As @jsn55 says above you may get a way with travelling in a pair of trainer(sneaker) type footwear and bring along a plain pump type for the rest of the time. The least i have gotten away with is 4 pairs,  trainers/sneakers for travel and sight seeing, flip-flops/thongs for around pool, strappy bling mid heeled sandal for evening and plain pump style shoes for around ship other than pool area but also wearable in the evening under trousers/pants. HTH

• Like 1

Not smart to try for one pair, what if it breaks??  Daughter had one pair of dressy sandals & her sneakers…yup, sandals broke. She wore her sneakers everywhere (& wasn’t happy about it)

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Not smart to try for one pair, what if it breaks??  Daughter had one pair of dressy sandals & her sneakers…yup, sandals broke. She wore her sneakers everywhere (& wasn’t happy about it)

We travel most of the year and it is rare for us to travel less than 2 months at a time. Replacing shoes, clothes, underwear, toiletries and even swim suits on the road is a common occurrence for us. So, if the one pair breaks I’ll go shoe shopping .  Had to do that this winter…when I wore out the soft sole on the Skechers hiking in the southwest US.  DH has had to replace hiking boots and we’ve both replaced hiking shoes and flip flops while we have been traveling internationally.   Had to replace a suitcase once in Singapore when a zipper broke, and my  makeup is international with things from France, Spain, western US (we live in FL) and Asia.   Only the thing we’ve had trouble finding is shaving cream in Southeast Asia.  We’ve also gotten haircuts and eyebrow waxing done while traveling.  

• Like 2

The minimalists.com 20/20 rule:

Anything we get rid of that we truly need, we can replace for less than $20 in less than 20 minutes from our current location.

Probably / maybe not going to want the shoes that cost less than $20 but certainly advice that I find helpful for avoiding overpacking and trying to declutter my house. Less helpful if stuck on a ship at sea with a broken shoe.

AND, I got wicked water blisters (gosh, don’t think I’ve had those since I was in high school and we’d kick off our shoes and dance til we couldn’t!) from walking ALOT in my Chaco sandals in the heat and for the reminder of the cruise I was grateful I had brought- a needle (TMI!), antibiotic ointment, lots of bandaids, good smartwool socks and runners for the remaining huge port walks!

Edited by kluv2cruz
  • Like 1

I haven't done 1 pair of shoes but I usually do 2 pair.  Depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing determines what I take.  I always take one of my pair of Jambu that I've had for years.  I have used them as my beach shoes, my walking around shoes, and my going out to dinner shoes.  

Apart from the lack of suitability for all occasions, my multiple shoes cover me in case of feet swelling, shoes get wet, shoe breaks, I want/don't want to wear socks, I got a blister from the black shoes and need to take a break from them........and so on.  I have no problem packing 4 or 5 pairs, plus all my other stuff, and easily being under anyone's weight allowance.  My feet appreciate the variety, just as they do at home.

• Like 3

Nope. No way I could get by with only 1 pair.  I have to wear a walking shoe for excursions, especially if I am going to Europe where there can be alot of walking. They would definitely not go with my evening attire. And my shoes for evening don't work for around the pool.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

The minimalists.com 20/20 rule:

Anything we get rid of that we truly need, we can replace for less than $20 in less than 20 minutes from our current location.

Probably / maybe not going to want the shoes that cost less than $20 but certainly advice that I find helpful for avoiding overpacking and trying to declutter my house. Less helpful if stuck on a ship at sea with a broken shoe.

AND, I got wicked water blisters (gosh, don’t think I’ve had those since I was in high school and we’d kick off our shoes and dance til we couldn’t!) from walking ALOT in my Chaco sandals in the heat and for the reminder of the cruise I was grateful I had brought- a needle (TMI!), antibiotic ointment, lots of bandaids, good smartwool socks and runners for the remaining huge port walks!

Anything we get rid of that we truly need, we can replace for less than $20 in less than 20 minutes from our current location.  This might work for people who have little interest in what they wear.  I'm far too picky for this philosophy, and have a tough time finding things that fit ... pants and long sleeves are too short, shoulders too narrow ... I can't run around in men's clothes all the time!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Anything we get rid of that we truly need, we can replace for less than $20 in less than 20 minutes from our current location.  This might work for people who have little interest in what they wear.  I'm far too picky for this philosophy, and have a tough time finding things that fit ... pants and long sleeves are too short, shoulders too narrow ... I can't run around in men's clothes all the time!

Agree. 

One time I was in Japan for two weeks with my son. For some reason the primary walking shoes that I'd brought turned out not to be comfortable, even though they were broken in before I left home. Guess what I learned?  Japanese women's shoes do not go up to my size. (And my feet are normal size for a 5'8" woman....). The men's shoes were too wide or just didn't "fit" my feet.  Ugh, it was miserable.

I decided then never to travel without two good pairs of walking shoes. My feet/ankles are not the best and they are happier when I alternate shoes daily anyway.

• Like 2

Ok, I’ve decided I cannot do this trip with one pair of shoes.  Y’all are right, most walking shoes won’t work for gala night on the ship or around the pool.  I’ll take a pair of Olukai Upena sandals and a pair of Skechers Trail short hikers.  Sandals around the pool, gala night and for walking around town in hot weather.   The hikers in cold weather around town and for hiking. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Agree. 

One time I was in Japan for two weeks with my son. For some reason the primary walking shoes that I'd brought turned out not to be comfortable, even though they were broken in before I left home. Guess what I learned?  Japanese women's shoes do not go up to my size. (And my feet are normal size for a 5'8" woman....). The men's shoes were too wide or just didn't "fit" my feet.  Ugh, it was miserable.

I decided then never to travel without two good pairs of walking shoes. My feet/ankles are not the best and they are happier when I alternate shoes daily anyway.

I’m lucky that my feet are small (US 6-7) and I can wear children’s sizes so that makes buying on the road easier.   We have run into a problem finding shirts for my broad shouldered husband in some Asian countries. 

• Like 1

I typically travel with 2 to 4 pairs of shoes depending on where I'm visiting. I learned my lesson on traveling with one pair to new locations in my early travel days. Our shoes were drenched by the rain and being in a tour, we could not readily buy new shoes and had to blow dry our shoes which resulted in uncomfortable tight shoes - never again! I recently traveled to Vegas with 2 pairs, wore comfortable Merrell for walking and Havaianas flip-flops for hotel room and poolside knowing that I could easily buy new shoes at the mall across the road if needed and knowing no rain in the forecast. No dress shoes since we did not plan on attending fancy events. For cruises, I usually take 4 prs. Wear Merrell trail running shoes on the plane which can be used for hiking, Havaianas for cabin and pool, mid-height heel sandals for evening, and Keens for ports and water excursions.

17 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Ok, I’ve decided I cannot do this trip with one pair of shoes.  Y’all are right, most walking shoes won’t work for gala night on the ship or around the pool.  I’ll take a pair of Olukai Upena sandals and a pair of Skechers Trail short hikers.  Sandals around the pool, gala night and for walking around town in hot weather.   The hikers in cold weather around town and for hiking. 

Another Olu Kai person here!  my hi-tops are OKs,  soooo comfy.  I didn't your sandals on the site, though.  What I did see was the new Kaula Pa‘a ‘Ili, a leather espadrille flat.  Looks good for traveling.   But, I have my old Jambu sandal/shoe that i've had for a good 10 years - this is probably the last for them.  I've worn them as my primary walking shoe in Italy and even Hawaii.  Walking in the rain is no problem - nothing to get soaked.  Haven't seen anything like them now.  I may get a pair of Olu Kai sandals next year!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Another Olu Kai person here!  my hi-tops are OKs,  soooo comfy.  I didn't your sandals on the site, though.  What I did see was the new Kaula Pa‘a ‘Ili, a leather espadrille flat.  Looks good for traveling.   But, I have my old Jambu sandal/shoe that i've had for a good 10 years - this is probably the last for them.  I've worn them as my primary walking shoe in Italy and even Hawaii.  Walking in the rain is no problem - nothing to get soaked.  Haven't seen anything like them now.  I may get a pair of Olu Kai sandals next year!

I  no think my both of my sandals have been discontinued.  I have lots of their flip flops and live them. Happy to find another Olukai person!

• Like 1

I've gone on 3 cruises that were 7-8 nights with 4 pairs of shoes including the pair I wore on the plane. )

1. Sneakers (worn on plane) I always bring/wear a pair of sneakers for working out/walking or jogging on the ship, and also good for some excursions.

2. Sandals for evening: Usually a pair of Michael Kors in sand/gold that go with everything. I only wear a chunky heel/wedge these days. 

3. Sandals for day wear/excursions

4. Water shoes - I have a pair of beloved Merrell "barefoot" shoes that are so comfy, lightweight and CUTE! discontinued and wish I'd bought a second pair

I was able to put 3 pairs in my carry-on luggage with my clothing. My toiletries/3-1-1 bag goes in my personal bag/tote. I always wear the heaviest pair which is usually the sneakers. 

I read a lot of posts by women saying they need more than one pair of dressy shoes, but I don't know why! Coordinate your dresses so that one pair of shoes will work with all of them. I love gold/sand color as that goes with all my summery dresses. I love a heel but only wear heels that are stacked/wedge. No pump with severe angle and no support. 

I love to dress up on trips for dinner/evening. I love getting "down and dirty" on excursions and then coming back and playing dress up for dinner. 🙂

Edited by Janie1229
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

I've gone on 3 cruises that were 7-8 nights with 4 pairs of shoes including the pair I wore on the plane. )

1. Sneakers (worn on plane) I always bring/wear a pair of sneakers for working out/walking or jogging on the ship, and also good for some excursions.

2. Sandals for evening: Usually a pair of Michael Kors in sand/gold that go with everything. I only wear a chunky heel/wedge these days. 

3. Sandals for day wear/excursions

4. Water shoes - I have a pair of beloved Merrell "barefoot" shoes that are so comfy, lightweight and CUTE! discontinued and wish I'd bought a second pair

I was able to put 3 pairs in my carry-on luggage with my clothing. My toiletries/3-1-1 bag goes in my personal bag/tote. I always wear the heaviest pair which is usually the sneakers. 

I read a lot of posts by women saying they need more than one pair of dressy shoes, but I don't know why! Coordinate your dresses so that one pair of shoes will work with all of them. I love gold/sand color as that goes with all my summery dresses. I love a heel but only wear heels that are stacked/wedge. No pump with severe angle and no support. 

I love to dress up on trips for dinner/evening. I love getting "down and dirty" on excursions and then coming back and playing dress up for dinner. 🙂

I'm with you, Janie!  Half the fun of going somewhere is picking out the next 'outfit'.  I bought a pair of wedge sandals a few years ago for an outdoor wedding, specifically to not sink into the turf like the women wearing high heels.  They were shiny gold, but I was able to tone that down with brown shoe polish rubbed in and buffed, just to take off the shine. I'd never worn a 'wedge shoe' but since then they've become my stalwarts for travel, comfortable walking almost everywhere when I'm all dressed up.   And of course they 'go' with everything. 

having a surgically "enhanced" ankle limits me to flat shoes.  i can wear my 1.5' cowboy boots, but not for long before i'm in pain.  i tried a really nice pair of Kork-Ease wedges, Myrna 2.0, that had a 1.75" heel height with a 3/4" wedge, but my foot hurt so badly after 15 minutes that i had to go barefoot.   I'm done trying anything with a heel.  I may have to put my 'failed' footwear out for sale!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I'm with you, Janie!  Half the fun of going somewhere is picking out the next 'outfit'.  I bought a pair of wedge sandals a few years ago for an outdoor wedding, specifically to not sink into the turf like the women wearing high heels.  They were shiny gold, but I was able to tone that down with brown shoe polish rubbed in and buffed, just to take off the shine. I'd never worn a 'wedge shoe' but since then they've become my stalwarts for travel, comfortable walking almost everywhere when I'm all dressed up.   And of course they 'go' with everything. 

Yes! I love planning and picking out clothes for my trips and only wish I could travel MORE. 

Once I discovered wedge and platform shoes, I never went back to the traditional pump. I can wear a high "heel" b/c it doesn't feel like that with the wedge or platform. I've got a soft beige/gold color, black, and red too. Michael Kors used to make more wedge/platform sandals that I loved, but I don't see them in as many colors right now, and I wish there were more in the gold family - that color can be so soft and pretty and a real workhorse. 

I've also found a couple of pretty reversible dresses that are perfect for a cruise. Wish I could find more. But I wear the same dress at least twice and will pair it with a scarf one time, different the next etc. to change up the look. 

• Like 1

I rarely travel for less than a couple of months at a time and my summer trip this year will be3.5-4 months. During the trip we will be doing 2 weeks on our own in Florence and Rome, a week at a Tuscany cooking school, 33 days on a cruise ship, 10 days at a friend’s home, a few days at one of the top BnBs on the west coast and then probably a several day train trip back east.  I shouldn’t have any trouble doing this with 2 pair of shoes.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

I rarely travel for less than a couple of months at a time and my summer trip this year will be3.5-4 months. During the trip we will be doing 2 weeks on our own in Florence and Rome, a week at a Tuscany cooking school, 33 days on a cruise ship, 10 days at a friend’s home, a few days at one of the top BnBs on the west coast and then probably a several day train trip back east.  I shouldn’t have any trouble doing this with 2 pair of shoes.  

Whatever works for you.

One is a hard way to go.  I, like others, worry about damaged shoes.  I often do 2.  I wear Clark’s which are comfortable for up to 6 miles of city walking and my brooks tennis shoes for longer treks and off street walking.  My Clark’s are good enough for the dining room too.