Travel Insurance requirement

Ben2travel

According to the COVID information on the Star Clipper website, a cruise passenger needs to have travel insurance.  Does anyone know if this includes trip protection (which I already have from my credit card company) or is it just medical insurance?  Also any recommendations of good sources for this insurance are more than welcomed.

Thanks so much!

-Had a telephone conversation about that matter just yesterday with the tour operator where we booked, as we are travelling in June. Medical insurance is needed, which includes Covid-19 risks.

Now I have asked the insurance company of my existing medical insurance for a confirmation letter (which especially confirm the included coverage of Covid-19 risks) and will send it in advance to the tour operator to verify that this is satifying the needs of Star Clippers.

If that would not be enough, I will arrange a new (additional) medical travel insurance with the inclusion of Covid-19 risks which is actually at about 30 - 35 € per person in total (german insurance market, a bit higher for people older than 65). Sorry, I have no clue about costs in the US.

Just returned from a 13-day Grand Voyage.  Malta to Athens.  Yes, they required trip insurance to cover Covid related items.  They needed the company name and your policy number.  They asked for this before they sent the final cruise docs.  Also, they wanted copies of covid vaccination/booster cards.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the OP for posting the insurance requirement. It is not in their T & C and was not obvious on their website. While their web page "Travel and Health Statement" (T & H)  helpfully has dated entries, there seems to be only one link to "HEALTH & HYGIENE PROTOCOLS ON BOARD" pdf, the current one.

This document contains the statement that insurance coverage for Covid is required. I am trying to find out when this policy was implemented by Star Clippers.  I do see the T & H statement page and if there was a restriction expected it to be listed right there. Later I saw the pdf link to "protocols on board". Having insurance is not something that I consider a on-board protocol but seems to be a boarding requirement. (IMHO it should have been part of the booking document / statement not unlike a valid passport.)

It would be helpful if I could get some indication as to when this went into effect as I cannot find a historical document. Can someone post that they saw it say, Feb 2021 or Dec 2020 or ...  Or did not see it on their Feb 2021 pdf. I know if it not definitive but would help.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ben2travel said:

I first saw it about six months ago. Not sure how long it has been there. It was also mentioned to me by the agent when I booked my cruise.

Your agent knows their stuff. I found it hard to find on SC site. A pdf at the top of a page about *on-board* protocols is not somewhere I would have looked for a pre boarding requirement. You starting this thread I am sure is appreciated by everyone else who can miss it.

In searching the web for old copies I came across some EU regs dated Apr 2022 (don't know if still current or what those regs said previously) that state the cruise line is responsible for repatriation costs for pax who must quarantine even off ship (I am paraphrasing of course) unless the pax have insurance so I can understand why SC want to off load the cost and admin headaches for that. Something that important IMHO should be clearly listed in the booking statement (I skimmed the T & Cs and did not see it in there but maybe but missed it)

Thanks for the update @Ben2travel

Also I echo  @cluso suggestion of checking out tripinsurancestore. While I have not purchased insurance from them ( did not go through with that booking) they were very helpful and clear in their explanations.

As I remember, the need of a covid19-related travel insurance was announced since the announcement of the restart.

In addition we have got a specific notice from our tour operator about two months in advance to our cruise which we had booked about two years ago. I arranged with them that we sent the proofs of existing insurance in advance and they confirmed that their coverage is sufficient. They even forwarded them to Star Clippers and there was no additional check of the travel insurance for us at the time of check-in.

5 hours ago, Diddn said:

As I remember, the need of a covid19-related travel insurance was announced since the announcement of the restart.

I believe this is true.  Our final payment was due in January 2022 and it was a requirement then.