insurance question

C cruise

6 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I am looking for reasonable travel insurance -- I usually get Allianz and feel they are trust worthy but at $340 I think that is expensive ...what, if any, type or company do you use?

NCL insurance

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I am looking for reasonable travel insurance -- I usually get Allianz and feel they are trust worthy but at $340 I think that is expensive ...what, if any, type or company do you use?

I bought an annual policy from Allianz for less than that.  It just depends on what level of insurance you want.  My medical is covered through my medicare advantage plan (yes, my policy does cover out of the country as well as on a ship) so not a concern.  So I'm basically concerned about transportation home or quarantine costs for example if there is an issue.  The annual cap on cancellation is low, which is fine for me - but reimbursement for most everything else is per trip - and I have at least 8 trips planned within the term of the policy, so a really good deal for me.

• Like 1

You didn't mention what type of coverage.  If medical only that may be expensive.  If it's cancel for any reason or other trip cancel coverage that's a different story entirely.

Edited by davencl

1 hour ago, davencl said:

You didn't mention what type of coverage.  If medical only that may be expensive.  If it's cancel for any reason or other trip cancel coverage that's a different story entirely.

it is for trip cancellation ... but also medical ... maybe the $340 is a fair price for the 2 of us...

I always used NCL insurance but then I (thankfully) got older. And older. I have used Allianz now for 4-5 years, for Cancel for Any Reason (I have a 100-year-old dad and a hubby with health issues) AND for worst-case-scenario of having to be airlifted to a hospital. It is especially expensive when I have booked a higher-end cabin. In that case, if it seems too much I just take off a couple thousand $ on the price of cabin. To my way of thinking, losing $2000 on the cabin is doable (but ouch)--BUT is better than being airlifted and treated in a foreign country and perhaps being charged $100,000. Which I don't have. I'd stick with Allianz, personally.

3 hours ago, C cruise said:

I've used GeoBlue and found it very reasonable but it doesn't cover a lot of the non-medical related expenses.  For me, that's fine, as my cruise cost usually isn't much and my concerns are for the rare but more catastrophic expenses, like a medevac.

Personally I would stay with Allianz.  We have had 2 incidences on two different cruises over the years that required medical care on board the ship (one that occurred before we boarded actually).  And $340 would have just put a very small dent in the bills.  We submitted the receipts and forms when we returned home & were refunded promptly.  They have a good reputation....

• Like 1

You did not say which Allianz plan you purchased; nevertheless, the cost of travel insurance is based on age, amount insured, length of trip, and dollar limits among other things. Comparable coverage from another company is not likely to cost much less. Remember -insurance is regulated by each state.

You may be able to get a cheaper policy, but study it carefully to see what it covers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I always used NCL insurance but then I (thankfully) got older. And older. I have used Allianz now for 4-5 years, for Cancel for Any Reason (I have a 100-year-old dad and a hubby with health issues) AND for worst-case-scenario of having to be airlifted to a hospital. It is especially expensive when I have booked a higher-end cabin. In that case, if it seems too much I just take off a couple thousand $ on the price of cabin. To my way of thinking, losing $2000 on the cabin is doable (but ouch)--BUT is better than being airlifted and treated in a foreign country and perhaps being charged $100,000. Which I don't have. I'd stick with Allianz, personally.

If you are using Allianz to cover pre-existing conditions for a family member, be sure to check the language of the policy again. One of the requirements to qualify for coverage is to insure all prepaid nonrefundable expenses. Knocking off a couple of thousand may void that.