Dress Code on European Voyage

ggo85

We are first-time SS cruisers. Refugees from Crystal and also Cunard Queen’s Grille. Taking a Northern European cruise this summer.  Understand SS is dressier than Crystal and it’s been awhile since we did Cunard.  What do MOST men and WOMEN wear on informal and formal nights? Assuming MDR. 

For informal would a jacket, dark slacks and no tie be ok?  What about khaki pants?  Is a tie required? For women, would slacks and a nice top be acceptable? Or is a dress mandatory?

For formal nights, is a grey or dark suit OK for men?  Cocktail for women?  My husband has no tux (that fits) and I have no long dresses.  We want to fit in but don’t want to buy an entire wardrobe for a cruise (we live in an area where we’d never wear formal attire outside of a cruise). 

Yes, I’ve searched older threads but am still not sure of the answer.  And read what SS says, but cruise lines say lots of things - what most passengers do may be something else. On a new line, we don’t know. 

• Like 1

Dresses are never mandatory for ladies.

Dress pants and a top (of varying degrees of 'niceness') do for ladies for casual, informal and formal. If you want you can make it dressier for formal with a shawl or jewellery or whatever, but it's not necessary.

Many of us don't own any dresses at all, never mind long ones.

It's only the men who appear to have difficulty.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Haha 1

Agreed - and I sympathise with the men, who are not able to be as comfortable as we women are, unless we choose to be constricted by a tight cocktail or long dress, which hardly anyone does.

I do think with evening trousers (pants) a top just for the evenings is desirable - could just be a black one with jewellery added, or maybe a 'sparkly' one, but something you would not wear for casual.

• Like 1

Dresses are never mandatory. Thankfully!.......I wear slacks every night. Formal nights they are dressy, other evenings they are a more casual style in some of the wonderful "no wrinkle knits" that are on the market. They are so easy to pack too👍

We just got off a Northern European SS cruise, and I can answer "yes" to all your questions, except that no tie is required for informal nights.  Allow me to give you a little more information as to what we saw, but also understand that this was a leg of the World Cruise, so I expect folks got even a little fancier than your typical SS cruise.  

Casual nights were all over the place for both men and women, but it all was "nice" casual.  Men wore short or long sleeved shirts, some button down and some polo, and some manner of nice trousers.  A few men might put on a jacket, but really just a few.  Women were all dressed nice, but most certainly casually, in dresses, pantsuits, or in slacks (like @Lois R mentioned--Hi, Lois!)

On informal nights, all men wore jackets and nice trousers of some sort (any color).  There may have been a tie or two around the room, but only that.  Again, women were dressed up more than casual nights but otherwise in the same fashion.

On our first formal night (which was a sea day), it seemed like everyone was in a tux, but then some suits started showing up.  I and a few others were not in suits and not wearing ties because we were dining in La Terraza (which is informal on formal nights--I'm pretty much done with ties).  Many of the ladies were dressed to the nines, but not everyone went all out, and certainly not all the ladies were in gowns. In fact, very few were.  Many were in shorter dresses, and many were in pantsuits or like Lois mentioned. 

On the second formal night (which was not a sea day), things toned town a little from before.  There were more suits than before on men, and some of the ladies also didn't quite go all out.

Personally, I wore the same sportcoat every formal and informal night (something that goes with everything), usually with a short-sleeved shirt underneath it, accompanied by some manner of wash-and-wear trousers (Haggar and Amazon essentials have some amazing ones that don't stain, don't wrinkle, and look great).  My wife wore either a dress or pantsuit.  She dressed up more for formal nights, but she likes doing that.

I'll also tell you this:  Everyone looked good, and no one was treated any differently.  It was a very fun cruise!  You will, too!

• Like 1

Hi Doak😃......great to see you again!  How was Terrazza? 😉 Were you on The Moon? How did you enjoy her?

I am sailing Dawn next month........can't wait!  Tell Char hi from me too!😃

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I don't think the World Cruise was on the Moon.

Oh...ok, thanks. Guess I should have just asked, "what ship were you sailing"?

On 5/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, Lois R said:

Oh...ok, thanks. Guess I should have just asked, "what ship were you sailing"?

We were on the Whisper and thought of you more than once!

Sorry for not getting back with you, but we were busy enjoying our anniversary weekend!

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

We were on the Whisper and thought of you more than once!

Sorry for not getting back with you, but we were busy enjoying our anniversary weekend!

No problem, Happy Belated Anniversary😃. So you went back on Whisper.........was Moses still bartending at the pool?

• 3 weeks later...

This is for the ladies out there. Revisiting this topic as I get my stuff ready to pack.   I'm still struggling with "informal."  I looked at the pictures on SS's website (e.g., little black dresses) and I don't wear stuff like that -- and don't want to buy it just for this cruise. I don't own a pantsuit (never have) and definitely don't want to wear a business suit!  

So, does "informal" mean:

• Palazzo pants and sequins?  
  • "Traditional" business casual, such as wool slacks with a cashmere sweater or blouse that you'd wear to work or to a nice restaurant but not as dressy as to an afternoon wedding?
  • Dressy (non-Bohemian) sundresses (think Talbots)?
  • Tailored work dress (day into night)?

I'm trying to figure out how to make what I have work but still blend in.  Really it's a question of how "dressy" the informal nights are -- what is a "nice" top and what are "formal" slacks on SS?   [Obviously, I'm not thinking cargo pants and a sweat shirt.]  Appreciate any additional input or suggestions. 

27 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

This is for the ladies out there. Revisiting this topic as I get my stuff ready to pack.   I'm still struggling with "informal."  I looked at the pictures on SS's website (e.g., little black dresses) and I don't wear stuff like that -- and don't want to buy it just for this cruise. I don't own a pantsuit (never have) and definitely don't want to wear a business suit!  

So, does "informal" mean:

• Palazzo pants and sequins?  
  • "Traditional" business casual, such as wool slacks with a cashmere sweater or blouse that you'd wear to work or to a nice restaurant but not as dressy as to an afternoon wedding?
  • Dressy (non-Bohemian) sundresses (think Talbots)?
  • Tailored work dress (day into night)?

I'm trying to figure out how to make what I have work but still blend in.  Really it's a question of how "dressy" the informal nights are -- what is a "nice" top and what are "formal" slacks on SS?   [Obviously, I'm not thinking cargo pants and a sweat shirt.]  Appreciate any additional input or suggestions. 

Hi, I don't wear dresses anymore so my evening attire is all slacks and tops. I have multiple pairs of lightweight knits that don't wrinkle in black, grey, periwinkle . Various tops to go with them. I wear those slacks on all nights except formal. I have 2 pair of dressier pants, both palazzo style with dressier tops. 

I also have a jumpsuit I bring too, just for a change up. It is red with white polka dots in a crepe material. I feel quite comfortable in that as well.

Your choices sound fine to me. Talbots stuff is very nice......and I do bring cargo crop pants but that is for excursions😀they are lightweight cotton. 

@ggo85For informal, dress the way you would to go out to a nice restaurant for dinner.  I wear slacks and tops . I always find the dining rooms cold, so even in hot climates I don't wear anything sleeveless, unless it is accompanied by a wrap, light jacket, or cardigan. So, I would not wear a sundress except for dining on deck in hot climates. Some women wear what what you called work dresses, but personally I prefer slacks and find them more versatile. I take 2 pair of black slacks (just in case), and nice tops that work with them. I also take one casual black dress, plus a necklace, a nice scarf and silk jacket to wear with it and change up the look. My silk jacket also works well with my black pants. Don't overpack. You won't be with the same people every night. And no one will remember or care if you wear the same outfit more than once. Hope this helps.

I travel with carry on baggage only.

I don't own any dresses.

(Sorry, this is advice for women, can't help you about men)

All you need for evenings is one pair smart plain dark trousers and three tops - one casual, one smart enough for a decent restaurant landslide, and one possibly with a few sparkles. A large scarf or pashmina, and maybe a necklace, can change your 'look' a lot. I have never felt inappropriately dressed on my many SS cruises.

All my travel clothes can be rinsed out quickly in the sink and drip dried over the bath.

It doesn't matter how long your trip is, if you have access to laundry you do not need clothes for more than three or four days and nights. No-one cares or even remembers if you repeat outfits.

The main challenge is a wide variation of weather during a trip but that just means several layers.

A subsidiary challenge is getting bored with your clothes but when I think about never having to wait for or worry about checked bags, I can live with it.

PS the advice about putting out everything you plan to take, then putting half of it back really is true. Even with my very carefully curated travel wardrobe, I do sometimes end up with garments I haven't worn.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

As you can see we all have our own ways of packing😀 Jolly, you only bring 3 tops? I prefer having more choices, but I do bring a checked bag so that does give me more space. 

Anyway, to the original poster, hope our replies have helped you😀

• Like 1

Thanks so much.  Don’t think I could do a carry-on (want to take my full-sized toiletries for a trip this long) but you have reassured me that most of what I have will work.   Thanks!!

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

As you can see we all have our own ways of packing😀 Jolly, you only bring 3 tops? I prefer having more choices, but I do bring a checked bag so that does give me more space. 

Anyway, to the original poster, hope our replies have helped you😀

Talking about for evenings, Lois. 
For upcoming Med cruise I’m looking at three more tops, daytime trousers, shorts and a cardie. Add a light jacket, and a scarf that doubles as an evening shawl and that’ll be plenty, probably too much, for 22 days onboard. 
Given that one outfit is worn for travel, and all my travel stuff is lightweight, packable and washable, it all goes in a rollaboard. 

For toiletries, I buy any I need beyond what the  ship supplies at embarkation port and discard unused portions before homeward flights. 

Anyway, as Lois says, glad we can help the OP. 

Edited by jollyjones

On 5/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, DCPIV said:

We just got off a Northern European SS cruise, and I can answer "yes" to all your questions, except that no tie is required for informal nights.  Allow me to give you a little more information as to what we saw, but also understand that this was a leg of the World Cruise, so I expect folks got even a little fancier than your typical SS cruise.  

Casual nights were all over the place for both men and women, but it all was "nice" casual.  Men wore short or long sleeved shirts, some button down and some polo, and some manner of nice trousers.  A few men might put on a jacket, but really just a few.  Women were all dressed nice, but most certainly casually, in dresses, pantsuits, or in slacks (like @Lois R mentioned--Hi, Lois!)

On informal nights, all men wore jackets and nice trousers of some sort (any color).  There may have been a tie or two around the room, but only that.  Again, women were dressed up more than casual nights but otherwise in the same fashion.

On our first formal night (which was a sea day), it seemed like everyone was in a tux, but then some suits started showing up.  I and a few others were not in suits and not wearing ties because we were dining in La Terraza (which is informal on formal nights--I'm pretty much done with ties).  Many of the ladies were dressed to the nines, but not everyone went all out, and certainly not all the ladies were in gowns. In fact, very few were.  Many were in shorter dresses, and many were in pantsuits or like Lois mentioned. 

On the second formal night (which was not a sea day), things toned town a little from before.  There were more suits than before on men, and some of the ladies also didn't quite go all out.

Personally, I wore the same sportcoat every formal and informal night (something that goes with everything), usually with a short-sleeved shirt underneath it, accompanied by some manner of wash-and-wear trousers (Haggar and Amazon essentials have some amazing ones that don't stain, don't wrinkle, and look great).  My wife wore either a dress or pantsuit.  She dressed up more for formal nights, but she likes doing that.

I'll also tell you this:  Everyone looked good, and no one was treated any differently.  It was a very fun cruise!  You will, too!

See the added red colouration  to your post, trousers being worn together with the jackets - that was a blessing!!   😄

Must admit that, for business travel, I always take only a carry-on and NEVER EVER check a bag. All black pants, wrinkle-free fabrics, one pair of shoes, etc.  But for vacation, I enjoy the “extravagance” of taking a variety of clothing options.  Colors!  Taking my favorite toiletries in full-size vs. whatever I can find in travel size.  It’s an indulgence that for me separates business travel (work) from vacation.  

That said, don’t want to go crazy! 

• Like 3