Just back from The Magica - 2/19 - 2/26/06

familyof4cruising

I would like to say that I went on The Magica with alot of fears. I have cruised about 25 times and this was my first time on Costa.

Embarkation ( and debarkation) was a breeze we arrived at the pier at 12:00 and were in our cabin by 12:30 - very organized and courteous. The ship is beautiful and spotless. It was very clean. The staff was great! They were always so helpful . I did not have any problems with the food and neither did the 25 people traveling with me. In fact we raved about alot of the items. For some it was their first cruise - we all did not have a complaint. The soda card for kids is not worth it - or at least it was not for us. We brought on board soda , water and liquor with out any problems. They uncorked our wine for free in the dining room. I asked my cabin steward to empty the refrigerator and I stocked it with all my drinks. There were 350 kids on board this week and I do not think it was overcrowded with kids at all. We cruised on the NCL Dawn last year and there were 1,000 kids. I only have three complaints. One - I enjoy pop music, rock or disco ( from now or the past) which was never heard at all in any of the lounges or even by the pool ( they catered to the older crowd which I will say was the majority on this sailing ). Two- the disco was given to the Teen Club til 1:00 AM every night. I was not comfortable with that at all. And three - The fact that we must take our passports ( for a picture ID) which unlike other cruise companies that take your picture prior to boarding and is available on their computer - was a little bit annoying. In all I would travel Costa again. It was a great deal for the money we spent. These three things that bothered me are just points that I needed to mention . They would not change me decision to travel Costa again. My group had a great time. I will gladly answer anyones question.

So glad to hear your great review. I was getting a little concerned but the concern is over and the happy face is on. We sail on March 26. My twin sister has never done anythink like this and I really want her to enjoy cruising. If it works, she and I plan to cruise very year. Anyway, my question is do they have coffee pots in the balcony rooms? If not I will bring my own little coffee pot. Thanks for the great report. Glad you had a great time.

Sharon & Karen

I would like to say that I went on The Magica with alot of fears. I have cruised about 25 times and this was my first time on Costa.

Embarkation ( and debarkation) was a breeze we arrived at the pier at 12:00 and were in our cabin by 12:30 - very organized and courteous. The ship is beautiful and spotless. It was very clean. The staff was great! They were always so helpful . I did not have any problems with the food and neither did the 25 people traveling with me. In fact we raved about alot of the items. For some it was their first cruise - we all did not have a complaint. The soda card for kids is not worth it - or at least it was not for us. We brought on board soda , water and liquor with out any problems. They uncorked our wine for free in the dining room. I asked my cabin steward to empty the refrigerator and I stocked it with all my drinks. There were 350 kids on board this week and I do not think it was overcrowded with kids at all. We cruised on the NCL Dawn last year and there were 1,000 kids. I only have three complaints. One - I enjoy pop music, rock or disco ( from now or the past) which was never heard at all in any of the lounges or even by the pool ( they catered to the older crowd which I will say was the majority on this sailing ). Two- the disco was given to the Teen Club til 1:00 AM every night. I was not comfortable with that at all. And three - The fact that we must take our passports ( for a picture ID) which unlike other cruise companies that take your picture prior to boarding and is available on their computer - was a little bit annoying. In all I would travel Costa again. It was a great deal for the money we spent. These three things that bothered me are just points that I needed to mention . They would not change me decision to travel Costa again. My group had a great time. I will gladly answer anyones question.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH.... I think lots of us were waiting for a review just like yours...kids/fun/food good/staff friendly etc... Although I'm over my fear of cruising with Costa on the Magica March 19th, a review like yours always makes things much better.

Now, although it wasnt good for you... I am traveling with a 15 year old... did I read correctly that she will be allowed to stay in the disco until 1:00AM every night? It so, for me/her thats great news....someplace for the teens to hang out... I love it!!!

Did you have any kids in your group of 25? Did they have a good time? What did they do and how old are they?

How was toga nite? Did lots of passengers participate? Also, what about formal nite? Did most of the passengers get dressed up?

Ok, more questions...!!! Did you have a Meet & Greet, and if yes, where/when/and how did it go? Also, what itiernary did you do? Any "Secrets" you can tell us about the Magica would also be welcomed...

Thanx again and anything else you can think of would be much appreciated... I'm cruising with 14 people of which 6 of them are kids, ages 8 - 17 plus about 60 others from our Thread, also with lots of kids...

Elaine :)

Thanks for the great review. Any advice on the ports of call? Also, did they still do the international-style line dances near the pool (they did that on the Atlantica a couple of years ago, and DD and I loved it).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the cruise, and we are counting the days to April 2nd!!

The kids club that our children were in was 7-12. Some of the activities were too young for our kids, so they did not go sometimes. They loved collecting the Squok Club money to trade in at the end of the week for a prize. Yes the teenagers are allowed to stay in the disco - I think there was a teen organizer there with them. That is the only time we enjoyed any music that we wanted to dance to. Remember the Video games are free when you board for about an hour.

There are no coffee pots in the rooms. But remember when you order breakfast from room service ( which is a nice wake up call) to order cappuccino ( only at breakfast it is free - small cups so order two).

Yes you can bring your drivers license and birth certificates, but it is annoying when you are use to just carrying your card ONLY .

My cruise did not have alot of Europeans but instead alot of New Yorkers who were Italian and they loved all the music that was played. We did not have a great nightlife like I had anticipated.

Toga night was great. All 25 of us got dressed and we brought our own leaf crowns so we were a little different then everyone.

Yes they still do the International line dances by the pool.

We went Eastern Carribean and do not miss Magens Bay in St. Thomas. I have been there several times and brought my group and it was the highlight of our trip. It is always spectacular!

Formal night people were dressed in khaki and capris to Tuxedos. It is YOUR vacation wear what YOU want and makes you happy!

If you are a picky person Costa is not the whole package of a vacation for you. I like to cruise and little things do not bother me - We were all happy to be on vacation and relax.

The kids club that our children were in was 7-12. Some of the activities were too young for our kids, so they did not go sometimes. They loved collecting the Squok Club money to trade in at the end of the week for a prize. Yes the teenagers are allowed to stay in the disco - I think there was a teen organizer there with them. That is the only time we enjoyed any music that we wanted to dance to. Remember the Video games are free when you board for about an hour.

There are no coffee pots in the rooms. But remember when you order breakfast from room service ( which is a nice wake up call) to order cappuccino ( only at breakfast it is free - small cups so order two).

Yes you can bring your drivers license and birth certificates, but it is annoying when you are use to just carrying your card ONLY .

My cruise did not have alot of Europeans but instead alot of New Yorkers who were Italian and they loved all the music that was played. We did not have a great nightlife like I had anticipated.

Toga night was great. All 25 of us got dressed and we brought our own leaf crowns so we were a little different then everyone.

Yes they still do the International line dances by the pool.

We went Eastern Carribean and do not miss Magens Bay in St. Thomas. I have been there several times and brought my group and it was the highlight of our trip. It is always spectacular!

Formal night people were dressed in khaki and capris to Tuxedos. It is YOUR vacation wear what YOU want and makes you happy!

If you are a picky person Costa is not the whole package of a vacation for you. I like to cruise and little things do not bother me - We were all happy to be on vacation and relax.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with the rest of us!! I'm sure you know how excited we are with anticipation of our own cruise and how hungry we are for any information! It was so good of you to post so soon after you got back. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. It goes by too quickly, doesn't it? :(

It does go by so quickly and if you look at my tickers I will be sailing again in 37 days. I do not know if my waist line can take another 10 days of eating like a pig again so soon. Have a great trip.

How do you do those tickler things??? Is there someplace where you get the countdown thing? How did you put it in little boxes like that??

Click on my tickers and it will direct you to how to do it on the website. Then go to user CP ( in cruise critic) and add signature ( ticker).

I created the ticker, then went to my control panel, but have no idea of how to get my newly created ticker to my signature here!! :eek: Feeling extremely dumb here.

I have a couple of questions. I am leaving on 3/12 at 7:00 p.m. How early do you think I can board the ship? Did you just pack alcohol, etc. in your suitcase? How long does it take to disembark?

Thanks,

JC

I got to the pier at 12:00 and was on board in my cabin by 12:30. I think they started boarding right before 12:00. We were suppose to disembark at 9:45 with the second to last color tags to be called and walked off without being called and was off the ship by 9:00.

I packed the liquor in my carry on.

Do you remember the squok club hours? I've heard different times from different sources. We have late seating dinner and like to drop our daughter off before dinner, but someone said Squok club doesn't open till 9. Thanks!

I created the ticker, then went to my control panel, but have no idea of how to get my newly created ticker to my signature here!! :eek: Feeling extremely dumb here.

no, no no - I did the same thing. Click on a tickler and it will take you to the site to set up your own tickler. Put in the date and then scroll down to the cruise line you want and click on the little round circle. Then go back up to the top and highlight the top bb code.

then go to your CP profile to edit signature and copy that code into your signature and don't forget to save it. Just play around with it and you'll get the idea.

no, no no - I did the same thing. Click on a tickler and it will take you to the site to set up your own tickler. Put in the date and then scroll down to the cruise line you want and click on the little round circle. Then go back up to the top and highlight the top bb code.

then go to your CP profile to edit signature and copy that code into your signature and don't forget to save it. Just play around with it and you'll get the idea.

Oh, you're such a good intructor!! I did it! Thank you!!! :D

Embarkation was a breeze....my flight was in early so I was at the port at 11....doors open at 11:30 and boarding begins. It is not necessary to register your credit card that day and I waited 2 days and then no line at all. The buffet opens at 12....some of the cabins are not ready until 1 altho mine was. The food was great and service as well. Really enjoyed the Magica and you will as well. Be prepared to get lost a few times and meet new people wandering the halls as you are...I accused my cabin attendant of moving my cabin every time I left!!!! Disembarkation was also handled well and was off the ship by 9:30 and we were no where near the first to be called. The big problem was at Ft Lauderdale airport...the line for security was over and hour wait...that was frustrating!!! Enjoy your cruise as much as I did.

Archived