Jump to content

Car rental in UK - Insurance


RickT
 Share

Recommended Posts

I will be spending a week to ten days in the UK prior to jumping on the Silhouette in Southampton.  I’ve driven in the UK and am comfortable driving a manual transmission.  I recall the last time I rented a car in Dublin I was charged a €2,000 damage deposit when I declined all insurances ( my personal insurance and credit card already provide coverage). Just wondering if a similar damage deposit will be required when I pick up a car in Bristol or if that sort of thing is unique to Ireland?  It’s not a common thing in North America.

 

Thanks in advance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have hired cars in UK several times, over the years, and don't recall being charged a large damage deposit.

 

I also note that our RBC Visa cards only cover car hire in North America, it doesn't cover the insurance in UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 3:39 PM, RickT said:

I will be spending a week to ten days in the UK prior to jumping on the Silhouette in Southampton.  I’ve driven in the UK and am comfortable driving a manual transmission.  I recall the last time I rented a car in Dublin I was charged a €2,000 damage deposit when I declined all insurances ( my personal insurance and credit card already provide coverage). Just wondering if a similar damage deposit will be required when I pick up a car in Bristol or if that sort of thing is unique to Ireland?  It’s not a common thing in North America.

 

Thanks in advance.  

Go online and take out car hire excess insurance it will save you a fortune https://www.confused.com/car-hire-excess-insurance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, Heidi13 said:

Have hired cars in UK several times, over the years, and don't recall being charged a large damage deposit.

 

I also note that our RBC Visa cards only cover car hire in North America, it doesn't cover the insurance in UK.

If you do not pay the car hire companies  excess cover they will block the relevant amount on your credit card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Znjan said:

If you do not pay the car hire companies  excess cover they will block the relevant amount on your credit card

Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Excess is usually around £1,000 - even if you pay for the hire in cash they'll want an imprint of your credit card. I don't think they charge at the start & redeem at the end, but if you park it on its roof the excess will be taken from your card.

 

Zero excess is a very expensive option in the UK - it can be as much as the basic hire fee 😦

We do the same as Znjan - a cheap excess cover from an independent insurer (we used to have an annual excess policy, but Covid restrictions put an end to that).

If you're unfortunate enough to  have to claim, the rental agency will charge your card & you claim it back from your excess insurer. That's the theory, never had to claim on it.

 

JB 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...