US Waters Insurance Question

Sailing on NCL Joy July 10 and looking into insurance. Considering a GeoBlue plan right now, which I know will cover me while I am in Bermuda, and I know my regular (Amerihealth) will cover me while In NY and VA ports, but what happens when actually on the cruise ship? I don’t see anything in fine print about that. Does my regular insurance kick in if it’s US waters and GeoBlue would kick in if international waters? I’ve seen other cruisecritic travelers post about getting GeoBlue so it must cover things - but want to make sure I’m getting it right before paying. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Jacqueline92689 said:

Sailing on NCL Joy July 10 and looking into insurance. Considering a GeoBlue plan right now, which I know will cover me while I am in Bermuda, and I know my regular (Amerihealth) will cover me while In NY and VA ports, but what happens when actually on the cruise ship? I don’t see anything in fine print about that. Does my regular insurance kick in if it’s US waters and GeoBlue would kick in if international waters? I’ve seen other cruisecritic travelers post about getting GeoBlue so it must cover things - but want to make sure I’m getting it right before paying. Thanks!

Cruise ship is going to be out of network for your primary insurance.  GeoBlue policies can offer coverage for that.

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

Cruise ship is going to be out of network for your primary insurance.  GeoBlue policies can offer coverage for that.

So GeoBlue would cover at all times while on the cruise ship, even if still in US waters then?

Just now, Jacqueline92689 said:

So GeoBlue would cover at all times while on the cruise ship, even if still in US waters then?

If you buy that sort of coverage - coverage for medical expenses during your trip that are not covered by your primary insurance.  

GeoBlue requires you to have primary health care. Most likely you’ll have to file with them first, then Geo Blue. You’ll be covered everywhere. It is just a matter of who pays first and who pays the excess.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

GeoBlue requires you to have primary health care. Most likely you’ll have to file with them first, then Geo Blue. You’ll be covered everywhere. It is just a matter of who pays first and who pays the excess.

I’m seeing two GeoBlue options: Voyager Choice and Voyager Essential. Essential says it does not require primary insurance and doesn’t cover preexisting but is otherwise the same. It’s also cheaper. 

That is why it is cheaper. If you have anything in your medical history that requires treatment while you are traveling, you will not be covered. The Essential Plan will pay for new illness or accident and perhaps emergency care.

Many people do not think they have a pre-existing condition because they do not realize the insurance company will scrutinize your medical history records for any reported symptoms, treatment, test, diagnosis, or even prescription change that contributed to the reason for your claim. If they find a related cause, your claim will be denied.

14 minutes ago, Babr said:

That is why it is cheaper. If you have anything in your medical history that requires treatment while you are traveling, you will not be covered. The Essential Plan will pay for new illness or accident and perhaps emergency care.

Many people do not think they have a pre-existing condition because they do not realize the insurance company will scrutinize your medical history records for any reported symptoms, treatment, test, diagnosis, or even prescription change that contributed to the reason for your claim. If they find a related cause, your claim will be denied.

Oh for sure! I’m definitely planning to get the pre existing conditions one, just wanted to mention that they did offer an option now without having primary. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, Babr said:

If you are referring to Geoblue, the coverage of pre existing conditions would depend on the policy you choose.   But I would agree that folks need to understand the pre-existing coverage issue and ensure that whatever policy they purchase gives them the coverage they need.

Han

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you are referring to Geoblue, the coverage of pre existing conditions would depend on the policy you choose.   But I would agree that folks need to understand the pre-existing coverage issue and ensure that whatever policy they purchase gives them the coverage they need.

Han

Yes, the person to whom I was responding named two plans and said the cheaper one did not cover pre-existing conditions.