Take a DIY walking tour of marvelous Mazatlán!

Eight_Paws

Visiting Mazatlán on a Mexican Riviera cruise? You're in luck! There are so many fantastic things to see and do in marvelous Mazatlán, the Pearl of the Pacific.

(Bonus: You can just visit all these great attractions on foot from the cruise ship terminal.)

I had a wonderful time exploring Mazatlán's historic center and walking along the Malecón, its gorgeous oceanfront boardwalk!

Read for all the details:

Enjoy!  Lisa

mazatlan_feat_96.jpg.78bc9466affea59fb9376bca64097e75.jpgmazatlan_boats.thumb.jpg.22d522570786318deefad1e4806d1d9c.jpgmazatlan_basilica_ext.thumb.jpg.35fc24d4b5bd90e4c7a53f8900036488.jpg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, lax19 said:

Thank you for the great walking tour ideas!

Here's my plan for when we are there in November.

Any comments or ideas?  Still need ot find some place to eat...May try Panama bakery

https://goo.gl/maps/mGGdengPJfhWre7J8

We ate at the Panama Bakery this past January on our port stop and it was great !!!

6 hours ago, lax19 said:

Thank you for the great walking tour ideas!

Here's my plan for when we are there in November.

Any comments or ideas?  Still need ot find some place to eat...May try Panama bakery

https://goo.gl/maps/mGGdengPJfhWre7J8

Looks like you'll get your 10000 steps that day!  You're adding on the extra visit to the lighthouse -- I need to do that next time!  If you intersect with the Malecon near the shield you'll see pretty much all the statues I had in the post.

You may want to swing by Plaza Machado and the theater as you head back from your last stop on the map to the cruise ship.

Usually I just explore for 4-5 hours and then head back to the ship for my meal, but the bakery sounds like a great idea.  Or you might find something that looks good at the Mercado when you visit there.

Have a great trip!   Lisa

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eight_Paws said:

Looks like you'll get your 10000 steps that day!  You're adding on the extra visit to the lighthouse -- I need to do that next time!  If you intersect with the Malecon near the shield you'll see pretty much all the statues I had in the post.

You may want to swing by Plaza Machado and the theater as you head back from your last stop on the map to the cruise ship.

Usually I just explore for 4-5 hours and then head back to the ship for my meal, but the bakery sounds like a great idea.  Or you might find something that looks good at the Mercado when you visit there.

Have a great trip!   Lisa

Personally I love the Mercado for shopping but wouldn't eat there. Yes, the Panama Bakery is the best and it's just around the corner.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

How long is the walk from the cruise terminal to the historic center?  Is it an easy walk?  Will I be able to get the walking route map at the cruise terminal so I can follow the route to the historic center?

Thank you.

It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the cruise terminal to Plaza Machado in the historic center.  I got my map at ( or just outside) the cruise terminal.  Also they have a blue line painted on the sidewalk that you just follow to the historic center! 

Lisa

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eight_Paws said:

It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the cruise terminal to Plaza Machado in the historic center.  I got my map at ( or just outside) the cruise terminal.  Also they have a blue line painted on the sidewalk that you just follow to the historic center! 

Lisa

Thank you for the information!

Couple of things to add.

If you go to see the Cathedral (it's beautiful inside), do not fail to notice the "Star of David" incorporated into 28 stained glass windows. Legend has it that when the Catholics were building the Cathedral, they were quickly running out of money. A wealthy local Jewish family stepped in and provided the funds to finish the Cathedral. The 28 Star of David symbols was a way of thanking their wealthy benefactors.

Walk a block further and go into the Pino Suarez Mazatlan Market. If memory serves, when you first walk in to market, it's all Mexican trinkets, etc. - but keep walking deeper into the market for a real eye opener (or perhaps gaze averter). It's a big building (occupies a full city block) but totally worth it to see it all. This is not Walmart shopping but a traditional Mexican market. Do not miss.

Next up is the Plazuela Machado (at the corner of Constitucion and Carnaval). Pretty neat area with a lot of outdoor restaurants. Not a bad choice for lunch or a snack.

Then head down Carnaval to the Teatro Ángela Peralta (aka Angela Peralta Theater). I believe they offer a tour but I haven't done it so can't really comment. My experience was limited to peeking in thru the windows. Looks beautiful.

Finally comes my DO NOT MISS suggestion. A block further down Carnaval is the Nidart Gallery (free). Just a fascinating place to see. Wait till you see the Masks and other art. This is some truly special stuff. LIMITED HOURS, generally 9am-2pm so plan accordingly. Be the ones on your cruise that can tell everyone else what they missed. Take some pictures - and then be able to show them What They Missed.

https://goo.gl/maps/JwxcEcJJyZcrQYGF6

I'll throw in one last off topic suggestion. Puerto Vallarta also has a pretty amazing church as well. Down at the far end of the Malecon (my opinion) is the Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe. It's beautiful inside and completely different from the Cathedral in Mazatlan. The interior is done completely in white offset by beautiful gold leaf accents. Definitely worth seeing.

https://goo.gl/maps/bUcK18XjVNAmVDwaA

A little further down the Malecon is the Isla Río Cuale (riverwalk). A beautiful oasis with shopping and food. Trinket pricing tends to be just a little higher than in town (probably due to the location and perhaps higher store rents). But if you see something you like, then buy it. Or perhaps spend endless hours wandering around looking for the same thing at a better price. You're on vacation. I made the "mistake" of telling my wife that if you see something and you really like it - then buy it. She really took that to heart. Subsequent vacations, she buys every thing she likes - whether in Sedona, AZ, Grand Canyon, AZ, Yosemite, CA, Solvang, CA, Alaska or anywhere else. But "happy wife ..."

Further down the Malecon is just a sea of "toes in the sand" beach bars and restaurants - but what ever floats your boat.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, chubbypiggy said:

How long is the walk from the cruise terminal to the historic center?  Is it an easy walk?  Will I be able to get the walking route map at the cruise terminal so I can follow the route to the historic center?

Thank you.

As was earlier mentioned - they painted a blue stripe for cruisers to follow right into town. Pre-pandemic - they also had local "helpers" stationed along the route to provide information. Hope they are back because they are a great resource.

• Like 1

One place I forgot to mention, but this is for the truly adventurous. About 7 blocks past the Central Market I previously mentioned is the Las Changueras Expendio De Mariscos (street public shrimp/fish market). On the street behind the Central Market (Aquiles Serdan), walk about 6-8 blocks till you get to a large seafood market. Wait till you see the size of the shrimp - just huge. There are little restaurants in the area that will prepare your seafood for you if you wish. Pretty neat place - but off the beaten path just a bit.

https://goo.gl/maps/4SdVCzJMqYuQCBY27

If you do venture this far afield, then, when you are done, head west 2 blocks to Calle Guillermo Nelson Nte. (that's the street name) and turn left (south). Then you will walk past another great (but lesser known) public plaza called Plazuela Zaragoza. Continue past the plaza after maybe taking a short break in the shade (heading south) and it will take you back to the Cathedral area.

So - those are your choices. Explore Historic Mazatlan, or do what the mass of cruisers do and follow them to (1) Stone Island. Or (2) go to the Golden Zone, where you get to hand over "your" gold to the local merchants - been there done that. Wife was looking for a "specific color" pair Mystic Topaz earrings to go with her Mystic Topaz ring that she already had (you ladies will understand). And she found them (3 carats on each ear) and we were able to negotiate a fairly reasonable price of "our gold" for the earrings. Even got the stones moved into a custom setting to match the ring she already had. So she was happy. Not a quick thing to do (took 2 days). But we were in Mazatlan for a week at El Cid El Moro Beach so had the time (pretty nice place & a great weeks vacation).

Here is where the Golden Zone area is

https://goo.gl/maps/CPaeufjhPEAjH6h26

21 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

One place I forgot to mention, but this is for the truly adventurous. About 7 blocks past the Central Market I previously mentioned is the Las Changueras Expendio De Mariscos (street public shrimp/fish market). On the street behind the Central Market (Aquiles Serdan), walk about 6-8 blocks till you get to a large seafood market. Wait till you see the size of the shrimp - just huge. There are little restaurants in the area that will prepare your seafood for you if you wish. Pretty neat place - but off the beaten path just a bit.

https://goo.gl/maps/4SdVCzJMqYuQCBY27

If you do venture this far afield, then, when you are done, head west 2 blocks to Calle Guillermo Nelson Nte. (that's the street name) and turn left (south). Then you will walk past another great (but lesser known) public plaza called Plazuela Zaragoza. Continue past the plaza after maybe taking a short break in the shade (heading south) and it will take you back to the Cathedral area.

So - those are your choices. Explore Historic Mazatlan, or do what the mass of cruisers do and follow them to (1) Stone Island. Or (2) go to the Golden Zone, where you get to hand over "your" gold to the local merchants - been there done that. Wife was looking for a "specific color" pair Mystic Topaz earrings to go with her Mystic Topaz ring that she already had (you ladies will understand). And she found them (3 carats on each ear) and we were able to negotiate a fairly reasonable price of "our gold" for the earrings. Even got the stones moved into a custom setting to match the ring she already had. So she was happy. Not a quick thing to do (took 2 days). But we were in Mazatlan for a week at El Cid El Moro Beach so had the time (pretty nice place & a great weeks vacation).

Here is where the Golden Zone area is

https://goo.gl/maps/CPaeufjhPEAjH6h26

Thank you.

Do I have pictures of the simply amazing Nidart Gallery. Yes, but I'm not going to give you EVERYTHING. There has to be at least some "shock and awe" don't you think. How about a Mazatlan Cliff Diver from 2010 or a Puerto Vallarta Malecon Sand Sculpture from the same RCCL Mariner of the Seas cruise.

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure they are there whenever the cruise ships pull in. They work for tips so each time a crowd accumulates, they will make a dive. Another way to see them would be to go on a ship sponsored tour that includes them because when the tour stops there, they will put on a little show. It's not like the show at La Quebrada in Acapulco but it's a nice little performance. We saw that one twice on one cruise - the second one being at sunset so the later dives had fire torches and even fire rings they dove into.