Jump to content
,

Updated ArriveCAN to sail out of Vancouver


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, martincath said:

If Victoria is your stop immediately after Vancouver, you will definitely NOT go through US preclearance here - it's illegal unless your vehicle departs Canada within hours based on the legislation our governments signed back in the day, doesn't matter if it is plane, train, or ship.

 

We've done a few of these short repos, and every single one that goes Van>Vic>USA you will do US customs on arrival in the first US port - which means expect some potentially long delays disembarking in that first US port unless it is Seattle or all the way down in LA. Astoria & SF, the only other likely coastal first stops, have very small Marine CBP contingents and not a lot of pier space so don't really staff up enough to churn through a shipload of pax quickly.

 

Do not book any early shore excursions unless they are through the ship!

Thx much for chiming in...  this makes more sense to me now. 

Our first US port is SF (11am-11pm), and since we've been there often, we have nothing planned as of yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 3:44 PM, 5waldos said:

They have added this on the CA government website: 

"

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada

in Canada

 

This is in contradiction to what I was told about 2 weeks ago when I called to clarify this. So- we will complete the ArriveCAN prior to boarding our plane, and then do a second cruise specific one when we arrive in Vancouver, including the results of the CoVid test. Most of the information will have been saved so it should not take more than a couple of minutes to complete. I was one of those who argued against needing a second one after arriving in Vancouver because that is what I had specifically been told so I wanted to alert people. 

I called Canada yesterday and they explained to me if you are not doing a round trip only one arrivecan is necessary.  So, for those of us flying early for a pre-cruise and embarking at YVR port for your Hawaii cruise upload your test info and your done.  Everything changes daily so who knows?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grimsleypals said:

I called Canada yesterday and they explained to me if you are not doing a round trip only one arrivecan is necessary.  So, for those of us flying early for a pre-cruise and embarking at YVR port for your Hawaii cruise upload your test info and your done.   Everything changes daily so who knows?

I don't see anyplace where you COULD upload your test info- at least, not on the Arrid aveCAN used to fly in. Unless they have added it since last I was on the website.  I did call last week and spoke with someone who obviously had no idea what they were talking about. They insisted that Canada did NOT require a test before boarding a cruise ship in Canada or one that will go to Canada. And kept denying that what I was asking about- the quote above- even existed. I have given up trying to understand what to do- I will have the ArriveCAN to enter Canada and all the paperwork that I can gather up and keep my fingers crossed. Tested and vaccinated and boosted.  Happily we are in the earliest boarding group (for Alaska although Hawaii sounds lovely!) and staying at the Pan Pacific at the port so whatever we might still need to do it won't be too awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

After reading this thread, I think I might have gotten myself in trouble.  We will be taking an Alaska cruise from SEA September 17, 2022. Get back to Seattle September 24. After debarkation, we will take the Quick Shuttle from Pier 91 to Vancouver. Will stay at the Hyatt for the night before boarding the Serenade of the Seas from Canada Place back to L.A. This cruise will stop at Victoria as the first port, then to Astoria, SF, Catalina Island, then L.A. So how many Arrive Can do I need and when do I apply for these QR codes? So, I need my first ArriCan within 72 hours of checking in for the Alaska cruise, leaving on a Saturday, which means I do it any time after Wednesday 9/14? Then I need one 72 hours before taking the bus up to Vancouver? and then one to board the cruise back to L.A. when do I do that? Sorry, I am totally confused now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

After reading this thread, I think I might have gotten myself in trouble.  We will be taking an Alaska cruise from SEA September 17, 2022. Get back to Seattle September 24. After debarkation, we will take the Quick Shuttle from Pier 91 to Vancouver. Will stay at the Hyatt for the night before boarding the Serenade of the Seas from Canada Place back to L.A. This cruise will stop at Victoria as the first port, then to Astoria, SF, Catalina Island, then L.A. So how many Arrive Can do I need and when do I apply for these QR codes? So, I need my first ArriCan within 72 hours of checking in for the Alaska cruise, leaving on a Saturday, which means I do it any time after Wednesday 9/14? Then I need one 72 hours before taking the bus up to Vancouver? and then one to board the cruise back to L.A. when do I do that? Sorry, I am totally confused now.

You will need 3 declarations.  One for arrival into Victoria, One Arrive Can for the bus trip from Seattle. use Pacific Hwy, Surrey at port of entry.  The other for Canada Place and vessel name   Upload your vaccination info and await confirmation    It is really not too difficult and you may use one declaration for each person in the party.  May I suggest downloading the app at home first and adding all the pertinent details including attaching your vaccination details.  This will make it much easier for you. Good luck and enjoy

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning, I am going on a cruise to Alaska later this month........flying into Anchorage.  The only time I will be in Canada is the day we disembark in Vancouver and I fly home.  I will also be doing 4 days in Denali on a pre-cruise tour before I even sail...........I know the cruise line is going to be doing a pre-cruise test before boarding the ship.  So, my question is, do I fill out my ArriveCan before I fly to Anchorage? Or do I fill it out while I am on my Denali portion 3 days before I board the ship? Remember, I won't be in Canada until a week later..............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I am going on a cruise to Alaska later this month........flying into Anchorage.  The only time I will be in Canada is the day we disembark in Vancouver and I fly home.  I will also be doing 4 days in Denali on a pre-cruise tour before I even sail...........I know the cruise line is going to be doing a pre-cruise test before boarding the ship.  So, my question is, do I fill out my ArriveCan before I fly to Anchorage? Or do I fill it out while I am on my Denali portion 3 days before I board the ship? Remember, I won't be in Canada until a week later..............

I Would download the app now and complete the pertinent information then save and close the app and 72 hours before entering Canada you will need to go on and complete the arrive can with your arrival date time and port of entry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, goldenprincess53 said:

I Would download the app now and complete the pertinent information then save and close the app and 72 hours before entering Canada you will need to go on and complete the arrive can with your arrival date time and port of entry.

Hi, I have done that....actually, it just told me I needed to update the ArriveCan App......so I did that too.

So I really don't have to do anything else until I am actually 1/2 way through the cruise?........for some reason I thought I needed to fill out the stuff before I leave home but I guess not.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I have done that....actually, it just told me I needed to update the ArriveCan App......so I did that too.

So I really don't have to do anything else until I am actually 1/2 way through the cruise?........for some reason I thought I needed to fill out the stuff before I leave home but I guess not.

 

I don’t think it will allow you to complete your arrival information until you are within the 72 hour timeframe. When I was in the US last week I attempted to fill in my arrival details about four days before our arrival in Canada and it would not allow me to do so. So I am assuming it was because I was not within a 72 hour block.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2022 at 7:02 PM, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

You will need 3 declarations.  One for arrival into Victoria, One Arrive Can for the bus trip from Seattle. use Pacific Hwy, Surrey at port of entry.  The other for Canada Place and vessel name   Upload your vaccination info and await confirmation    It is really not too difficult and you may use one declaration for each person in the party.  May I suggest downloading the app at home first and adding all the pertinent details including attaching your vaccination details.  This will make it much easier for you. Good luck and enjoy

 

Thank you so much for the information. Just to clarify, I need to fill out the Arrive Can within 72 hours boarding the Alaska cruise on September 17. I can do it between Wednesday and Friday (9/14-16). Then one for the bus on September 24 (form fill out between 9/21-23). Then the third one before boarding the Coastal cruise on September 25 (fill out form between 9/22-24), correct? Is it OK to overlap the bus trip and the last cruise with two applications? Sorry, I need to time it so we know when to do it when we have wifi/data. We have already set up the app on our phones with two separate accounts, can we combine the two now or just simply do two separately? Thank you for helping this confused mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

Thank you so much for the information. Just to clarify, I need to fill out the Arrive Can within 72 hours boarding the Alaska cruise on September 17. I can do it between Wednesday and Friday (9/14-16). Then one for the bus on September 24 (form fill out between 9/21-23). Then the third one before boarding the Coastal cruise on September 25 (fill out form between 9/22-24), correct? Is it OK to overlap the bus trip and the last cruise with two applications? Sorry, I need to time it so we know when to do it when we have wifi/data. We have already set up the app on our phones with two separate accounts, can we combine the two now or just simply do two separately? Thank you for helping this confused mind.

Correct 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

Thank you so much for the information. Just to clarify, I need to fill out the Arrive Can within 72 hours boarding the Alaska cruise on September 17. I can do it between Wednesday and Friday (9/14-16). Then one for the bus on September 24 (form fill out between 9/21-23). Then the third one before boarding the Coastal cruise on September 25 (fill out form between 9/22-24), correct? Is it OK to overlap the bus trip and the last cruise with two applications? Sorry, I need to time it so we know when to do it when we have wifi/data. We have already set up the app on our phones with two separate accounts, can we combine the two now or just simply do two separately? Thank you for helping this confused mind.

No - you cannot have multiple trips in one ArriveCAN account, so you'll have to wait until AFTER crossing the border on the bus before you can add the cruise. As soon as you start to add a new trip, it over-writes any existing entry that is not complete!

 

As to 2 entries or one - Canada does not care whether you are both listed in one app or each use your own, provided the required info is supplied, so if one of you has a more reliable phone/better battery life than the other maybe put both of you on the account on that device?

 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, Lois R said:

Hi, I have done that....actually, it just told me I needed to update the ArriveCan App......so I did that too.

So I really don't have to do anything else until I am actually 1/2 way through the cruise?........for some reason I thought I needed to fill out the stuff before I leave home but I guess not.

 

No - you will not be allowed to board the vessel without ArriveCAN being completed. The 72 hour clock counts back from when you are supposed to embark on the ship that will bring you to Canada - doesn't matter if it's a one-day repo from Seattle, a round-trip 7 day that hits Victoria on Day 5 then return to the US, or a one-way that arrives in Canada only on the last day when you disembark.

 

Do put all of the permanent info into the App now - your ID, vaxx status etc. that will not change - and then whenever you have WiFi/free data available on the last 3 days of the land segment, you can put in the trip-specific info about the cruise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, martincath said:

No - you cannot have multiple trips in one ArriveCAN account, so you'll have to wait until AFTER crossing the border on the bus before you can add the cruise. As soon as you start to add a new trip, it over-writes any existing entry that is not complete!

 

As to 2 entries or one - Canada does not care whether you are both listed in one app or each use your own, provided the required info is supplied, so if one of you has a more reliable phone/better battery life than the other maybe put both of you on the account on that device?

 

No - you will not be allowed to board the vessel without ArriveCAN being completed. The 72 hour clock counts back from when you are supposed to embark on the ship that will bring you to Canada - doesn't matter if it's a one-day repo from Seattle, a round-trip 7 day that hits Victoria on Day 5 then return to the US, or a one-way that arrives in Canada only on the last day when you disembark.

 

Do put all of the permanent info into the App now - your ID, vaxx status etc. that will not change - and then whenever you have WiFi/free data available on the last 3 days of the land segment, you can put in the trip-specific info about the cruise.

Thanks for the information. I am still confused though. My vaxx status is supposed to go where? I am double vaxxed and double boosted. I must have missed a whole area on the ArriveCan website. Guess I need to log back in and read what they are asking for more carefully.

 

Never mind.........I didn't even remember I uploaded my vax form and passport info already.........

😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the information. I am still confused though. My vaxx status is supposed to go where? I am double vaxxed and double boosted. I must have missed a whole area on the ArriveCan website. Guess I need to log back in and read what they are asking for more carefully.

 

Never mind.........I didn't even remember I uploaded my vax form and passport info already.........

😃

No worries: the upside of 'load all the permanent info' is of course that future trips take all of 2 minutes to enter data for because the difficult bits are all done; the downside is of course forgetting what you put in ages ago!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2022 at 10:02 PM, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

You will need 3 declarations.  One for arrival into Victoria, One Arrive Can for the bus trip from Seattle. use Pacific Hwy, Surrey at port of entry.  The other for Canada Place and vessel name   Upload your vaccination info and await confirmation    It is really not too difficult and you may use one declaration for each person in the party.  May I suggest downloading the app at home first and adding all the pertinent details including attaching your vaccination details.  This will make it much easier for you. Good luck and enjoy

 

Are you sure an ArriveCan is necessary for Vancouver embarkation where first and only Canadian stop is Victoria? They will have not left the country. By that standard everyone who takes a sea plane from Vancouver to Victoria would have to fill out an ArriveCan. Also why would they need an ArriveCan to depart Canada Place? ArriveCans are to enter Canada, not depart. Seems only one rather than 3 ArriveCans would be needed.

Edited by edgee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Are you sure an ArriveCan is necessary for Vancouver embarkation where first and only Canadian stop is Victoria? They will have not left the country. By that standard everyone who takes a sea plane from Vancouver to Victoria would have to fill out an ArriveCan. Also why would they need an ArriveCan to depart Canada Place? ArriveCans are to enter Canada, not depart. Seems only one rather than 3 ArriveCans would be needed.

As per Canada govt regs all passengers boarding a cruise ship in Canada are required to submit ban ArriveCAN declaration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

As per Canada govt regs all passengers boarding a cruise ship in Canada are required to submit ban ArriveCAN declaration. 

Not true: Quote from ArriveCAN website: Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN. This is from the section referring to various cruise scenarios.

Edited by edgee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, edgee said:

Not true: Quote from ArriveCAN website: Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN. This is from the section referring to various cruise scenarios.

Good morning, would you be able to point me to that section? I am arriving in Vancouver on disembarkation day......it is the only day I will be in Canada.......I have still downloaded the app on my phone but your statement is confusing (to me).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, would you be able to point me to that section? I am arriving in Vancouver on disembarkation day......it is the only day I will be in Canada.......I have still downloaded the app on my phone but your statement is confusing (to me).

Here is the page. Sounds like you would need to complete an ArrivCan within 72 hours of when your cruise embarks.

 

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, edgee said:

Here is the page. Sounds like you would need to complete an ArrivCan within 72 hours of when your cruise embarks.

 

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Thanks......I will be on a pre-cruise tour in Delani on those 3 days.....leaving here on Aug 21......cruise actually starts on August 25th....so I guess I will have to finish filling everything out while on my land trip. The cruise leaves from Seward and as I mentioned, the only Canadian stop is when I come home....ends in Vancouver. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're flying into Canada - you have to do ArriveCan.

 

If you're arriving via cruise ship - you have to do ArriveCan.

 

If you're flying in and then getting on a cruise ship - you have to do ArriveCan, perhaps twice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

As per Canada govt regs all passengers boarding a cruise ship in Canada are required to submit ban ArriveCAN declaration. 

On the Canadian government website it says  if you are leaving Canada snd not returning don’t have to complete an Arrive Can. We are flying in a day early so we will complete an Arrive Can for that and use the hotel as our address on the Arrive Can and per their website since we are going from Vancouver and disembarking in Seward (not returning to Canada) it says we do not need another one as I understand it. 


All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 testbefore embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...