Live Report from MSC Virtuosa Yacht Club 11-18th June 2022 Southampton Norwegian Cruise

ConnieTact

3 minutes ago, kernow said:

Just compared with my photo of the zig zag path(the first one!) from a month ago and amazing to see how much the snow has melted. Looks just as stunning either way.

I guess it’s warming up even though, if I remember rightly, you had sunny weather then too!

1 hour ago, ConnieTact said:

After dinner we found our friends in the French bar and joined them for a catch up. They had been on the Flam train and thought it was very worthwhile. Cleverly prepared, by reading up the best spot to sit (the right hand side) they had stayed onboard the train so they had same views in the way back. I asked how this was possible and they explained the train doesn’t turn around at the top! They had booked in advance but we hadn’t, and by the time we looked in the morning of arrival, it seemed the train was sold out on the times we could safely go. We always make sure we are back to the ship an hour before we need to! If we are ever back in Flam, I would try the train on their recommendation. 

I spoke to a woman in the yacht club who said she was rather disappointed the train wasn’t older. The history of the development of the railway is easily discovered in the free museum in port. I’m sure this one, is the most comfortable having seen old pictures of the others! 
photo credits @ziggyuk (from Flam scenic train ride) 

4131C819-46A7-4F4B-BC6D-A9F8ABF336C9.jpeg

2DC2835E-06DD-44E5-B908-34614DBA6BE7.jpeg

D5F91983-4482-4382-A2CC-FBFAC8581873.jpeg

If you see them again which i'm sure you will can you ask if they booked in advance with msc or independently and if independently roughly how much? This is something I definitely want to do when we go to Flam next year. Pictures btw are stunning 😊

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

If you see them again which i'm sure you will can you ask if they booked in advance with msc or independently and if independently roughly how much? This is something I definitely want to do when we go to Flam next year. Pictures btw are stunning 😊

Book the railway independently on this site. MSC do a trip but it's only one way (down) on the train, it also includes a coach trip and lunch and is much more expensive (although we spoke to people who did it and they enjoyed it).

https://www.norwaysbest.com/flamsbana/timetable-and-fares/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Book the railway independently on this site. MSC do a trip but it's only one way (down) on the train, it also includes a coach trip and lunch and is much more expensive (although we spoke to people who did it and they enjoyed it).

https://www.norwaysbest.com/flamsbana/timetable-and-fares/

Ah thank you so much that's really helpful. We aren't going till July next year but it's good to get as much research done as possible especially if its going to save some pennies! 😊

• Like 1

Arrived at Kristiansand & wandered around the town. We referred to an online guide at times but keeping to the waters edge after the Fishmarket led us in the right direction. We finished by heading into the centre & to a pretty cafe on the Main Street. 

627FA18C-F298-4E4C-9478-7E7797ACC879.jpeg

505DE84F-DC3E-4AD4-834F-27C5E7F85612.jpeg

7FF764BB-3F5C-4562-B377-6191DFFCD141.jpeg

There were plenty of sculptures and statues to fascinate me! I love this kind of art and I was delighted to even see a piece by Vigeland whose sculptures thrilled me in the Sculpture park in Oslo when we visited 10 years ago! 

4F1F236D-E973-4306-94E7-65D95260D909.jpeg

D066EABF-D494-4B72-ABE4-FDEF550D393D.jpeg

We certainly are! Our butler Anis from Tunisia is personable, polite and efficient. 
All staff are very friendly to us and one showed great humour yesterday in the Top Sail and read my humour just right and played a gentle prank on me! It still makes me smile thinking about it!
I pick up that the staff are well looked after by the Yacht Club management and this reflects well in the delivery of service to customers. Robbie is an excellent director and the restaurant manager is also very visible and attentive. Both constantly check back with guests that they are enjoying themselves. As Robbie said to us one day, “If you’re happy- then I’m happy!” 
He really is a star!

• Like 1

I’ll post up my last few photos when I get to hotel in Southampton. We are having one last breakfast onboard and then we’re going to a music festival in Bournemouth, The fun continues!  
For now, I am going to have a last hot tub before breakfast arrives!

• Like 1