New masking policies on HAL ships.

grammi

Just now, Mary229 said:

Perhaps but at least you understand the rules now and should plan travel or not accordingly.  I am sorry some were under the impression that there would be universal masking and based their decisions on that criteria.  I have not received the letter and can’t make a decision based on that.  When i booked all my 2022 travel i understood I would have to follow the rules and some of those rules might be unfortunate.  That said I only agreed to follow HAL’s rules and no more. 

When I booked my cruise, masks, vaccines and testing were required. In fact, we cruised twice for a total of 28 days.

How in the >>> was I supposed to know that even though we were still in the midst of a pandemic, that cruise lines would drop more and more restrictions? Sounds idiotic to me that they would even consider it, if for no one else, but their difficult to replace crew. 

You booked when things started changing, then it's all good for you. You understood that things with covid can and will change. You don't care about any of the restrictions and you're fine with getting covid. It's all good for you. 

The people who booked prior to all these changing restrictions and who still care about avoiding covid, are now put in the position of making a donation to HAL or possibly ending up with a health situation that they will have to deal with for who knows how long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, seaoma said:

When I booked my cruise, masks, vaccines and testing were required. In fact, we cruised twice for a total of 28 days.

How in the >>> was I supposed to know that even though we were still in the midst of a pandemic, that cruise lines would drop more and more restrictions? Sounds idiotic to me that they would even consider it, if for no one else, but their difficult to replace crew. 

You booked when things started changing, then it's all good for you. You understood that things with covid can and will change. You don't care about any of the restrictions and you're fine with getting covid. It's all good for you. 

The people who booked prior to all these changing restrictions and who still care about avoiding covid, are now put in the position of making a donation to HAL or possibly ending up with a health situation that they will have to deal with for who knows how long.

HAL gives you the option to cancel for a full FCC for any reason up to 30 days prior to sailing.  Rules are going to change, they have been changing since the beginning of this event.  What we can’t have is vigilante action on ships and tours on either side of the argument.  Whenever you sail you need to follow the rules of the Captain, he is in charge.  

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

HAL gives you the option to cancel for a full FCC for any reason up to 30 days prior to sailing.  Rules are going to change, they have been changing since the beginning of this event.  What we can’t have is vigilante action on ships and tours on either side of the argument.  Whenever you sail you need to follow the rules of the Captain, he is in charge.  

I know the rules. I'm booking with FCC from canceled covid cruises that will only return FCC that has to be used by the end of December. 

Rules weren't changing when I booked this cruise. There was no logical reason to believe they would change unless the pandemic no longer existed.

So, while I can still cancel and get my FCC back, I will only receive FCC and it will still expire December 2022. I have kicked the can down the road. I've already canceled 2 cruises, but I'm running out of time. Do you have any another suggestion?

Sure, the rules of the Captain worked real well when I was on my cruises last fall on the NA and the Rotterdam. The Captain didn't say boo to those who agreed to wear masks but didn't.

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, seaoma said:

I know the rules. I'm booking with FCC from canceled covid cruises that will only return FCC that has to be used by the end of December. 

Rules weren't changing when I booked this cruise. There was no logical reason to believe they would change unless the pandemic no longer existed.

So, while I can still cancel and get my FCC back, I will only receive FCC and it will still expire December 2022. I have kicked the can down the road. I've already canceled 2 cruises, but I'm running out of time. Do you have any another suggestion?

Sure, the rules of the Captain worked real well when I was on my cruises last fall on the NA and the Rotterdam. The Captain didn't say boo to those who agreed to wear masks but didn't.

I think you need to reread the rules of the FCC.  Once issued they are generally good for one year from date of  issue.  Also reread the rules for cruising with HAL.  At no point have they said these were permanent, that have always said until such date or for the foreseeable future.  You still have options. 

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm glad that HAL is re-imposing a mask mandate on some itineraries. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2861065-covid-in-alaska-you-may-be-on-your-own/#comment-63430078

Now, HAL has to enforce their own rules. Otherwise, its their fault if pax capacity remain at low levels.

@seaoma You see the rules changed.  

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think you need to reread the rules of the FCC.  Once issued they are generally good for one year from date of  issue.  Also reread the rules for cruising with HAL.  At no point have they said these were permanent, that have always said until such date or for the foreseeable future.  You still have options. 

Under the section dealing with FCC on My Account with HAL, it states Book By and Sail By dates-they are both Dec. 31, 2022. Where are my other options?

I think perhaps you think I'm some newby cruiser by my join date on these boards. My first cruise was in 1980 and I've seen lots and lots of changes on cruises. There has never been anything that has affected cruising that can compare to this.

Sure, the rules for some of the Alaska cruises have changed. Your solution is for me to book my very expensive cruise and just hope the rule changes. The chance that they change in my favor are extremely low with the few cruises I can even book.

Unless you can specifically point me to other options, I don't see any value continuing this conversation with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Under the section dealing with FCC on My Account with HAL, it states Book By and Sail By dates-they are both Dec. 31, 2022. Where are my other options?

I think perhaps you think I'm some newby cruiser by my join date on these boards. My first cruise was in 1980 and I've seen lots and lots of changes on cruises. There has never been anything that has affected cruising that can compare to this.

Sure, the rules for some of the Alaska cruises have changed. Your solution is for me to book my very expensive cruise and just hope the rule changes. The chance that they change in my favor are extremely low with the few cruises I can even book.

Unless you can specifically point me to other options, I don't see any value continuing this conversation with you.

I don’t think you are a newby.  I think you need to call your TA or HAL and have that adjusted.   Others have received extensions due to their concerns with Covid.   

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t think you are a newby.  I think you need to call your TA or HAL and have that adjusted.   Others have received extensions due to their concerns with Covid.   

I don't use a TA and I've been in touch with HAL several times, explaining to them each time the reason I'm canceling yet another cruise. 

I read these boards and I've yet to hear anyone getting an extension past Jan-Feb. Doesn't really help me much.

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

I don't use a TA and I've been in touch with HAL several times, explaining to them each time the reason I'm canceling yet another cruise. 

I read these boards and I've yet to hear anyone getting an extension past Jan-Feb. Doesn't really help me much.

Can you just rebook another cruise for the dates you want essentially extending the expiration date?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

Hi Seaoma,

I have only followed part of this thread - but if I am reading the situation correct this is what I am thinking - 

You current FCC (from prior cancellation) has a book and cruise date of Dec 2022. 

If you book something with that FCC now for something before end of September, it appears from the current rules, you can cancel and get 'new and improved' FCC that will likely extend out past Dec 2022. 

I haven't been following HAL specifically for this, but other cruise lines that I have credits seem to have removed expirations. I think it is continually evolving and the problem perhaps when you call in, is all they can do is look at the rules they see on your current FCC. They may (and I think likely) just change to no expiration as that happened to me for Celebrity and Princess, but if not, rebook and cancel should get you past Dec 2022 as I don't see that expiration date in their current worry free promo.

I have done my share of cancelling and rebooking across 2 land holiday operators and 4 cruise lines since the start of Covid. On a land holiday, I actually called in and booked and cancelled in the same call to extend the date. As Covid kept evolving, the land holidays eventually refunded and expiry extended on my credits (Celebrity). I can't say for HAL, because that is the line we have chosen to tread back into the murky water with, and have done 2 cruises and have 2 more coming up before December so we have no FCC. (It seemed easier to stick with one holiday operator until more of these Covid issues are behind us).

I am confident it will not be an issue for you, but I totally get  you not being happy until you have that FCC with an acceptable expiry date. Good luck!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grammi said:

Can you just rebook another cruise for the dates you want essentially extending the expiration date?

The FCC states Book By and Sail By Dec. 31, 2022.

Edited by seaoma

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Hi Seaoma,

I have only followed part of this thread - but if I am reading the situation correct this is what I am thinking - 

You current FCC (from prior cancellation) has a book and cruise date of Dec 2022. 

If you book something with that FCC now for something before end of September, it appears from the current rules, you can cancel and get 'new and improved' FCC that will likely extend out past Dec 2022. 

I haven't been following HAL specifically for this, but other cruise lines that I have credits seem to have removed expirations. I think it is continually evolving and the problem perhaps when you call in, is all they can do is look at the rules they see on your current FCC. They may (and I think likely) just change to no expiration as that happened to me for Celebrity and Princess, but if not, rebook and cancel should get you past Dec 2022 as I don't see that expiration date in their current worry free promo.

I have done my share of cancelling and rebooking across 2 land holiday operators and 4 cruise lines since the start of Covid. On a land holiday, I actually called in and booked and cancelled in the same call to extend the date. As Covid kept evolving, the land holidays eventually refunded and expiry extended on my credits (Celebrity). I can't say for HAL, because that is the line we have chosen to tread back into the murky water with, and have done 2 cruises and have 2 more coming up before December so we have no FCC. (It seemed easier to stick with one holiday operator until more of these Covid issues are behind us).

I am confident it will not be an issue for you, but I totally get  you not being happy until you have that FCC with an acceptable expiry date. Good luck!

Thanks for your post and yes, that is exactly what I hope will happen, but I won't know until it does.

I have actually split my over $10,000 FCC into 4 cruises, departing from August to November. So I hope HAL would do the right thing if I were to cancel any one of these, but if I get down to the last one in November, I will run out of luck and time.

Believe this....I'm not doing all of my fighting over this issue only on a cruise board. 

5 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Thanks for your post and yes, that is exactly what I hope will happen, but I won't know until it does.

I have actually split my over $10,000 FCC into 4 cruises, departing from August to November. So I hope HAL would do the right thing if I were to cancel any one of these, but if I get down to the last one in November, I will run out of luck and time.

Believe this....I'm not doing all of my fighting over this issue only on a cruise board. 

I assume you don't have a PCC?  Can you get one assigned and have them help sort through this?

Just now, rodndonna said:

I assume you don't have a PCC?  Can you get one assigned and have them help sort through this?

I have never used the PCC that has been assigned to me, but I've never been able to get through to her since cruising resumed. Neither by phone or email.

I did follow a recent thread posted where the person was trying to get one re-assigned, so maybe I should try that. Thanks for your suggestion.

36 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I have never used the PCC that has been assigned to me, but I've never been able to get through to her since cruising resumed. Neither by phone or email.

Your PCC may not be with HAL anymore. After not getting any response from our first PCC, I found her on LinkedIN , looks like she moved to Ritz-Carlton Yaghts!!!  A step up it would seem, so good for her. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, seaoma said:

I did follow a recent thread posted where the person was trying to get one re-assigned, so maybe I should try that. Thanks for your suggestion.

Did you ever get an extension on your FCC.  I don’t think FCC is transferable but certainly there would be people interested in buying other’s FCC.  Way crazy idea - HAL could auction off FCCs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:22 AM, grammi said:

F11C17AF-B2FD-43EC-B5CC-3FBE7E59E988.jpeg

On my Westerdam/Alaska cruise last week very few wore masks, not even in the terminal at embarkation, anywhere onboard or on excursions.  It was suggested in a letter in the stateroom, but it was not enforced.  I know there were Covid cases onboard/quarantine.  I happened to ride in the elevator with the ship's health officer, who's only comment was that the situation was "under control."

I took a COVID rapid antigen test when I got home to be safe, and it was negative.  I think the most stressful part of pre cruise is the 72 hour negative covid test.  It was required but obviously didn't prevent Covid from being brought onboard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Loreto said:

On my Westerdam/Alaska cruise last week very few wore masks, not even in the terminal at embarkation, anywhere onboard or on excursions

I don't know the routing of the Westerdam, but the ONLY cruises that are requiring masks (at least as of right now) are the one-way cruises between Whittier and Vancouver (both directions).  The rationale is that they are trying to get COVID under control during the land portion in Denali.  So many people who are doing the land portion first are testing positive prior to boarding the ship, which requires quarantine and a tremendous amount of expense on HAL's part because, at that point, people are in the middle of their tour already and HAL is responsible for them.  That applies to the southbound cruises which do the land portion before the cruise.  The only thing I can figure as to why the northbound cruises require masks as well is to try to prevent people from bringing COVID into Denali and spreading it to the people who are there waiting for their southbound cruise.  This explains why the roundtrips do not require masks - none of those passengers are going inland and HAL is not responsible for them if they test positive prior to boarding their ship.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

I don't know the routing of the Westerdam, but the ONLY cruises that are requiring masks (at least as of right now) are the one-way cruises between Whittier and Vancouver (both directions).  The rationale is that they are trying to get COVID under control during the land portion in Denali.  So many people who are doing the land portion first are testing positive prior to boarding the ship, which requires quarantine and a tremendous amount of expense on HAL's part because, at that point, people are in the middle of their tour already and HAL is responsible for them.  That applies to the southbound cruises which do the land portion before the cruise.  The only thing I can figure as to why the northbound cruises require masks as well is to try to prevent people from bringing COVID into Denali and spreading it to the people who are there waiting for their southbound cruise.  This explains why the roundtrips do not require masks - none of those passengers are going inland and HAL is not responsible for them if they test positive prior to boarding their ship.

You are so correct! This is what happened to us. We started land tour and with all of the people mingling we caught COVID. I can say that the people who cruised first don’t really care because they have no testing to do before they go home. The land tour first people are paying the price for this. Too many people jammed together in Denali and Fairbanks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

You are so correct! This is what happened to us. We started land tour and with all of the people mingling we caught COVID. I can say that the people who cruised first don’t really care because they have no testing to do before they go home. The land tour first people are paying the price for this. Too many people jammed together in Denali and Fairbanks. 

I know you have had difficulties and have handled it well IMHO.  Have you considered that the test was improperly administered or there was a clerical error.  It happened to another person at the airport in Vancouver, before they got rid of the test.  His wife had to stay behind subject to quarantine and missed her flight.  If I recall they were quick on their feet and scheduled another test where it was determined she was negative.  They then pursued it and it seems there was an administrative error.  We faced this same issue in Amsterdam last month.  Covid testing is a shoddy operation. Those people who are testing for HAL and other travel outfits were hastily put together with questionable handling and unverified staff.  I continue to get my pre-tests at a trusted established medical facility and carry my own tests for online proctoring.   They can keep me off of their ship but they are not putting me in prison

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I know you have had difficulties and have handled it well IMHO.  Have you considered that the test was improperly administered or there was a clerical error.  It happened to another person at the airport in Vancouver, before they got rid of the test.  His wife had to stay behind subject to quarantine and missed her flight.  If I recall they were quick on their feet and scheduled another test where it was determined she was negative.  They then pursued it and it seems there was an administrative error.  We faced this same issue in Amsterdam last month.  Covid testing is a shoddy operation. Those people who are testing for HAL and other travel outfits were hastily put together with questionable handling and unverified staff.  I continue to get my pre-tests at a trusted established medical facility and carry my own tests for online proctoring.   They can keep me off of their ship but they are not putting me in prison

We self tested before Beacon tested us, so knew what the result would be. We also told them DH had a positive test so as not infect anyone else (though from what we saw, no one else seemed to care about catching it). We did this two days before mandatory testing before boarding the ship out of an abundance of caution. We were in Denali and they had a special black bus (Black Death plague come to mind…lol) that transported people to isolate in Anchorage. Our bus transported both HAL and Princess passengers. There were 7 cases on our bus. I believe the mandatory COVID test before starting the land tour (which no one checks) gives a false sense of security to many travelers who have to navigate planes, airports, etc. before even beginning their land tour.

• Like 1