Seward restaurants and things to do

Jamietravelstheworld

Well, you nailed the most important thing to do with the Kenai Fjords cruise.  I would also try to visit the SeaLife Center while you are in Seward.  Also can recommend Ray's Waterfront for dinner.

Just now, quack2 said:

I would also try to visit the SeaLife Center while you are in Seward. 

My suggestion as well since you already have the Kenai Fjords cruise booked.  I can't offer a restaurant suggestion, however.  Friends and I ate at a small restaurant, but, it was unremarkable.  

Some of the activities we’ve enjoyed at Seward other than the Kenai fjord cruise are kayaking with Sunny Cove, the Sea Life Center, and the Real Alaska Tour (Exit Glacier, Seavey Sled Dog kennel).  

Have eaten at a number of places but the only places we would go back to:  the Cookery (fantastic!) and Woody’s Thai.

• Like 1

Pre-covid there was a shuttle which went to Exit Glacier.

Our favorite Kenai Fjords trip vendor is Major Marine.

Other restaurant recommendations include Ray's Waterfront, Chinooks and the Seward  Brewing Company.

There was an interesting article in the Anchorage Daily News several days ago.  Seward is experiencing a severe labor shortage, as is most if not all of the state.  Since the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act only allowed for RT cruises out of Seattle Seward did not have a cruise ship in two years.  The question is how prepared the community is for the resumption of ships.

• Thanks 1

We are also spending two days prior to our August cruise in Seward. We went last year by train for a few days since we kept our land portion of Alaska even with our 2021 cruise being cancelled. Very nice little town and we loved Rays but I have also heard even better than Rays now is the Cooker. They do take reservations so this may be something you want to consider. Many things were closed last year in Seward since there was no cruising going on. I am hoping there is more open this year but as has been mentioned with the labor shortage who knows what it will be like. We also did the Kenai Fjords trip last year and enjoyed it very much. Either way we are counting the days until we are back in Alaska! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Pre-covid there was a shuttle which went to Exit Glacier.

Our favorite Kenai Fjords trip vendor is Major Marine.

Other restaurant recommendations include Ray's Waterfront, Chinooks and the Seward  Brewing Company.

There was an interesting article in the Anchorage Daily News several days ago.  Seward is experiencing a severe labor shortage, as is most if not all of the state.  Since the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act only allowed for RT cruises out of Seattle Seward did not have a cruise ship in two years.  The question is how prepared the community is for the resumption of ships.

I was on the NCL Jewel in May on a B2B cruise and we were the first ship back in Seward.  This was my third time spending a day in Seward and from my perspective the town was 100% ready for cruise ships and tourists.  We took the free shuttle from the port and stopped at all the stops (like hop on, hop off.)

We spent a couple of hours at the Sea Life Centre and especially loved the puffins and El Dorado (the octopus) and the wolf fish.  We walked along the beach and enjoyed the seals and whales.  We walked up and down all the streets, popping into stores and exploring.  Then we strolled the marina to see the otters.  

I highly recommend the boat tour into Kenai Fjords but would recommend that you take snacks with you.  Each time we did this tour I was really hungry on board.

• Like 1

We were in Seward last September.  All restaurants in town were closed except for a couple.  We ate at the Chattermark, and it was very good.  We liked the hike to Exit Glacier and went to Seavey's for the "Ididaride" sled dog experience.  We also recommend the Major Marine Kenai Fjords trip.

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I highly recommend the boat tour into Kenai Fjords but would recommend that you take snacks with you.  Each time we did this tour I was really hungry on board.

When I did the tour, a lunch was served aboard.  It was a wrap with a bag of chips.  I think there was a Chocolate Chip Cookie included.  I recall that there was a snack bar that sold a variety of items and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.  

We did a helicopter tour up to Bear Glacier Lake from Seward Helicopters that was out of this world (we did the 45 minute one with the landing).  My favorite excursion was our trip out of Anchorage to hike on Matanuska Glacier where we got to actually STAND on the glacier and drink glacier water.  But a close (CLOSE) second was Bear Glacier Lake in Seward.  It was absolutely gorgeous, and getting to see the scope of the glacier from the helicopter was incredible.  It's expensive, but OH is it worth it!

My favorite pictures and video footage from our trip are from that flight.  

image.thumb.jpeg.653ccbaec190c4c1ef53865f1142d7ad.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 4.35.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 2.25.27 PM.png

Edited by PhotoGal07
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend the Sea Life Center.  If you have Disney plus they have a show Alaska Animal Rescue that features the Sea Life Center. My daughter was so excited to go and see some of the animals she saw on TV.  Also if you are looking at dogsledding or other glacier tours I recommend Turning Heads Helicopter Tours.  We did it in Seward because we were afraid it would be cancelled in Juneau which it was.  Kenai Fjords was also great.