What Happens if You Miss Flight Connection

Tedferg

What happens if you miss a connection, say due to long delay in Customs or TSA? Does airline allow free later flight? The one time this happened to us, our arriving flight was the cause of the delay, and we were booked on the next flight out. I would chance a tight connection and risk having to stay overnight at an airport hotel, but not if we had to pay for the replacement flight. Not EZ Air, booking using air miles.

This post will probably be moved to another forum, since it doesn't have anything to do with Princess.

It depends on the specific airline and the reason for the missed flight. Even if they will rebook you on a later flight, they will do this only if there is space available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

What happens if you miss a connection, say due to long delay in Customs or TSA? Does airline allow free later flight? The one time this happened to us, our arriving flight was the cause of the delay, and we were booked on the next flight out. I would chance a tight connection and risk having to stay overnight at an airport hotel, but not if we had to pay for the replacement flight. Not EZ Air, booking using air miles.

We’ve always precleared in Canada for our US flight.  Here’s a link you can check for your airport in Canada.  Also, check with UAL.  They would rebook you on the next available flight, but most flights are heavily booked these days.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/preclearance?language_content_entity=en

31 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Not yet, we just applied and got conditional approval immediately, but no appointments for foreseeable future.

Well you can do entry on arrival, where you do your global entry interview as you're flying back and going through customs so that you have it then. Not 100% sure, but I think you can go through the faster line if you do it

It is United returning from Canada via Newark, I am concerned about delay clearing Customs. Appreciate that it might be moved to another forum, thanks.

Depending on which airport you're leaving from in Canada, you may do pre-clearance there and arrive in Newark essentially as a domestic flight. But, the departure airport is a critical detail that is missing from this...not all airports in Canada have preclearance. 

It is United returning from Canada via Newark, I am concerned about delay clearing Customs. Appreciate that it might be moved to another forum, thanks.

What airport in Canada? Most have US Preclearance, but if you're flying from Quebec City/YQB, it still hasn't been set up there, despite having been announced in 2016 *le sigh*.

We are flying from Quebec and so, no pre-clear. We looked at Montreal but flights from there have only 40-minute transfer at EWR or ORD. ORD also has Terminal change so even worse. Current flight has 1:20 minute transfer and no terminal change. Do we have to go back through TSA after Customs.?

We would look at 'Interview On Return' but probably not enough time.

35 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, check with UAL.  They would rebook you on the next available flight, but most flights are heavily booked these days.

Hard to get through to UAL, no phone number listed, and Chat is 30 - 60-minute wait. My primary question is, if arriving flight is on-time and delay is caused by Customs / TSA, then it is not UAL fault and wonder if they would re-book us at no charge.

5 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Hard to get through to UAL, no phone number listed, and Chat is 30 - 60-minute wait. My primary question is, if arriving flight is on-time and delay is caused by Customs / TSA, then it is not UAL fault and wonder if they would re-book us at no charge.

Normally, yes. They are trained for misconnects (delayed flights) and it happens all the time.  They know you are making a connection at EWR, if you are connecting to a UA flight.

I say normally, because….is it a connection that is from UA to UA flights?

Does it show as a connection on the UA website?  
If yes, you should be fine.  And if it’s one of the pre-cleared airports, you’ll just go to the connection gate.

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Normally, yes. They are trained for misconnects (delayed flights) and it happens all the time.  They know you are making a connection at EWR, if you are connecting to a UA flight.

I say normally, because….is it a connection that is from UA to UA flights?

Does it show as a connection on the UA website?  
If yes, you should be fine.  And if it’s one of the pre-cleared airports, you’ll just go to the connection gate.

Thank you, it is UA for both flights, Quebec does not do pre-clear. We could leave Quebec earlier but then have a 5:30 hour layover at Newark. To repeat, I would take a chance on shorter connect time, if the only downside was we had to pay and stay in a hotel overnight.

11 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thank you, it is UA for both flights, Quebec does not do pre-clear. We could leave Quebec earlier but then have a 5:30 hour layover at Newark. To repeat, I would take a chance on shorter connect time, if the only downside was we had to pay and stay in a hotel overnight.

What time of day is the connection at EWR? 

22 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

If it is later in the day at EWR, you may have some delays.  Earlier is better.

However, if you are late, make sure to go to the gate or customer service counter at EWR and explain. They can at least get you on a standby list for the next flight, if seats are not available.  You want to make sure to tell them, so they can help.

If that flight shows as a valid connection on their website, then they do that every day and should not be a problem getting you through customs. 

26 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If it is later in the day at EWR, you may have some delays.  Earlier is better.

However, if you are late, make sure to go to the gate or customer service counter at EWR and explain. They can at least get you on a standby list for the next flight, if seats are not available.  You want to make sure to tell them, so they can help.

If that flight shows as a valid connection on their website, then they do that every day and should not be a problem getting you through customs. 

6:17pm arrival 7:40pm departure - will do as you say if we miss connection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Do we have to go back through TSA after Customs.?

You have to pick up your checked luggage to take it through Customs and then recheck it. Since you've had access to your checked luggage, you have to re-clear through TSA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

You have to pick up your checked luggage to take it through Customs and then recheck it. Since you've had access to your checked luggage, you have to re-clear through TSA.

Thank you, when we returned from Europe our flight was late, but we got through Customs OK, my heart sank when I saw the line for TSA! I was hoping this would be different since we are in the same terminal.

Update: Good News appointments opened up in SFO so DW and I have appointments two weeks before we travel. Hopefully we will have Global Entry squared away and it will help us get through Customs and TSA more quickly. We rescheduled for the later flight and will take our chances 🙂

Thank you all for informative responses.

There have been many delays at the airport where I work due to backups and delays in Immigration and Customs.  We will rebook you if you miss your flight, but we are supposed to book you on flights with award availability if you booked tickets using miles.  A customer service agent at the counter can’t open up award seats for you.  You’d have to call MileagePlus.  But, the goal is to get you where you’re going, so you never know what will happen.

I would add most flights are full, so keep that in mind.  Not much availability to rebook and it’s predicted to just get worse this summer.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1

Interesting, after scheduling Interview Appointments we got an automated email saying 'hey Why not try Enrollment on Arrival when we return, might be more convenient than scheduled appointment'.

Well we want prior approval to speed up our return, so Enrollment on Return does not seem to be a good choice. But it begs the question, do thy have enough staff to handle walk-ins?

On 6/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tedferg said:

As long as both flights are on the same ticket the airline should rebook you at no cost onto the next flight.  

It is likely the aircraft is going to be come up Newark to Quebec city turn around and head back.  If there is a delay it is going to be due to delays leaving Newark.  If it looks like the flight is going to be late, ask at checkin or at the gate if your connection is still good, if not they may just reroute you onto an Air Canada flight or possibly WestJet flight.   

Should read "onto the next flight with available seats."  Key word "available."  This could be a flight several days in the future.  And, if you are using tickets booked with miles, you may have to wait for an open award seat; often you will have to deal with MileagePlus.  UA is not going to book you on WestJet.

Edited by 6rugrats

11 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Should read "onto the next flight with available seats."  Key word "available."  This could be a flight several days in the future.  

You are correct that it may not be the next flight but they may rebook to a fully booked flight. Many flights are overbooked and I assume that delays is a part of that "system". 

I have been rebooked a few times when my first flight has been delayed and I have always been rebooked on the next flight even on busy days. But you are correct that there are no guarantees that it will be the next flight.