Costa Luminosa to Carnival Fleet

Today Carnival announced that Costa Luminosa will join the Carnival fleet instead of Magica as previously announced. It will be renamed Carnival Luminosa and will cruise from Brisbane Australia from October to April and in Alaska😃 from May to September. Luminosa will join the fleet in November 2022 with some of the Carnival changes from Costa and get more of the Fun Ship 2.0 features later. This is exciting news for me and a lot more as I have been waiting for a announcement like this for awhile.

(All of above is in my own words and not copyed)

• Like 1

Probably just so they could get a newer ship, likely with less immediate need for renovation. They don't want to pour another $200M+ into a renovation if they can avoid it.

Now that the Freedom has set the precedent I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even change the funnel now.

Just now, Saint Greg said:

That’s gonna have to go…

hall.jpg.image.500.668.low.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the decor stayed, they just maybe added some water slides and Guy's Burgers and let it ride until they're profitable again.

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the decor stayed, they just maybe added some water slides and Guy's Burgers and let it ride until they're profitable again.

We know what happened with the Guy statue. I know exactly where people are going with that one.

Carnival stock dipped into single digits. It's almost at the March 2020 low. Rumor mill has Carnival selling off Seabourn to the Saudi Sovereign, which already owns a very large chunk of stock. I suspect Carnival may need to peel off a few cruise lines here and there. Possibly Costa? Who knows, but this move is surprising because this ship is already 13 years old, but it does have a Polar Ice cert which is worth some $$$.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

All they have to do is scrape off "Costa" on the side of the ship and clumsily spraypaint over the scar, change the port of registry to Panama or Nassau, and ship it. The Captain doesn't even need to change his business cards - just scribble through "Costa" on them. That's the efficiency we've come to expect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm surprised they are keeping the name Luminosa. It just doesn't seem to fit Carnival. Is changing a ship's name that expensive? Anyway, we're glad to see they are sending another ship to Australia. We were booked on the Spirit for next year before it was pulled from that area. Hopefully Carnival will release new itineraries for Luminosa soon.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Carnival stock dipped into single digits. It's almost at the March 2020 low. Rumor mill has Carnival selling off Seabourn to the Saudi Sovereign, which already owns a very large chunk of stock. I suspect Carnival may need to peel off a few cruise lines here and there. Possibly Costa? Who knows, but this move is surprising because this ship is already 13 years old, but it does have a Polar Ice cert which is worth some $$$.

Which ship has Polar Ice cert?

50 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I'm surprised they are keeping the name Luminosa. It just doesn't seem to fit Carnival. Is changing a ship's name that expensive? Anyway, we're glad to see they are sending another ship to Australia. We were booked on the Spirit for next year before it was pulled from that area. Hopefully Carnival will release new itineraries for Luminosa soon.

They don't want to put $200M into renovating the ship like they paid for the Sunshine transformations so keeping the name I suppose is symbolic to that.

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Which ship has Polar Ice cert?

I apologized for this mistake in another post. On the day that Carnival announced movement of Costa Luminesa (which does not have a polar cert), Royal Caribbean also announced the purchase of Crystal Endeavor (which does have a polar cert). I got the news stories confused temporarily, but it was too late to edit. Again, my apologies for misinformation. I usually try to be better than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40yearcruiser said:

It's supposed to be bad luck, but that hasn't stopped them in the past.

I think Carnival is keeping the options open as to the future of the ship and doesn't want to invest money in the ship until they determine that.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It's supposed to be bad luck, but that hasn't stopped them in the past.

It's bad luck to rename a ship after it's been christened, since that's the name it's known as by the sea gods...

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:50 PM, Saint Greg said:

That’s gonna have to go…..

hall.jpg.image.500.668.low.jpg

The Botero lives on sez John Heald

It’s brilliant to see how excited my Australian friends are at the arrival of what will be Carnival Luminosa to sail from Brisbane and then to Alaska. Sailing dates coming soon. She is going to look amazing with her Carnival livery added.

The magnificent Botero will remain in the lobby and let me tell you it took ages for me to lay motionless to model for this.

289579882_7865084483534044_2267187298584
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The Botero lives on sez John Heald

It’s brilliant to see how excited my Australian friends are at the arrival of what will be Carnival Luminosa to sail from Brisbane and then to Alaska. Sailing dates coming soon. She is going to look amazing with her Carnival livery added.

The magnificent Botero will remain in the lobby and let me tell you it took ages for me to lay motionless to model for this.

289579882_7865084483534044_2267187298584

I wonder if they'll even bother to replace the funnel. Will they just tattoo Carnival to the ship's hull like they did to the Fantasy class years ago before they started getting their remodels?

7 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Is that a woman???

“Reclining Woman 2004” depicts a voluminous female figure staring into space, daydreaming in a reclining position with a subtle and ironic expression and with her legs in a dynamic position of movement. The sculpture, which is 346 cm in length, 177 cm in breadth, 152 cm in height and 910 kg in weight, boasts an imposing presence which defines and influences the surrounding space, establishing an ongoing dialogue with the decoration in the atrium of the Costa Luminosa. The lone individual is the subject of many of the artist’s works, which often feature single female figures in striking poses, with expressions and attire that Botero uses to telling effect in order to convey personality, experience, thought and desire.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/1478-72908-costa-commissions-monumental-sculpture-by-fernando-botero.html

3604401886_ea85be802d_b.jpg

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

I wonder if they'll even bother to replace the funnel. Will they just tattoo Carnival to the ship's hull like they did to the Fantasy class years ago before they started getting their remodels?

The original lettering was likely not just painted on, which led to the haphazard treatment when the ships were renamed. I guess they'll likely torch off the Costa lettering altogether if Luminosa is getting the new Carnival livery.

When I was in port with a Costa Deliziosa in Bonaire earlier this year, the name on the hull was painted over, with the new tricolor insignia and the ship's name above it - but when Costa updated their livery, it was still predominantly white.

• Like 1