Cave, Mangrove & Rainforest Excursion (Sun EC)

ZuzuT

Could someone please comment on the Cave, Mangrove & Rainforest Exploration shore excursion in Cayo Levantado? We will be on the Sun in March and, having heard so many negative things about the Samana stop, I am looking for some first hand reporting about this excursion. I am trying to decide whether to just stay on the ship or if this would be a fun, interesting, non-hurl inducing excursion (see previous reviews about whale watching and hurl factor).

we are trying to find information as well and a review. well be cruising the Sun on 4/15. Because this is a cruise that was planned later than usual and all we want is to relax we don't intend on doing a whole lot. Right now it's a toss up between doing a tour in Tortola or DR. This will be our first visit to this island so would like to see what it is about, but don't want to waste our time or money. Let's hope someone can give us some feed back. NMNita

I would also love to get more info about the Samana stop before our 4/1/06 cruise. Don't want to miss a new place, but more than that, I want to be safe. Any feedback on what others have experienced in this port would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi all, we are going to Cayo Levantado on 3/18 on the NCL Sun. We have booked the Discover Samana tour.

I normally don't book through the ship, but based on what I read here, and it being a new cruiseport, I felt it would be best.

I will be glad to write a review when we get back. There is a young lady that is going 3/4 (actually that is today isn't it!). She promised to write a review also.

Keep an eye on our roll call (3/18), I know many of us are looking at what to do in Cayo.

just back from the 3/4 Sun trip - we did the cave/mangrove excursion - enjoyed it you tender to pier - get directly onto a boat - fiberglass - no cover holds somewhere in the 20's probably half hour boat trip - fast and not too bumpy - it was fun they stop the boat at couple spots of interest - frigate bird nesting rock one example guide on boat explains about the birds - he was from samana interesting and funny the caves are interesting - we stopped and went into 2 different ones this is primitive mountainous country do NOT think osha approved landing "docks" or paved walkways into or in the caves however we had ages from about 8 to mid 80's on our tour including one very large lady and everyone made it guides offer you hand in and out of the boat the caves open up inside - it's like going inside a mountain some stalagtites and stalagmites - the cave drawings are small guide uses flashlight to point them out it's not real dark inside the caves you are not walking in water but cave floors are uneven and there are some rocks to climb over/through wear shoes not flipflop/sandals we got the water shoes at walmart that look like tennis shoes under $7.00 and they worked great for both in water and onshore Guides offered water on the boat trip back to dock. Sun arrived in Samana late due to medical emergency on board so didn't have time to even go to the little straw market on the samana dock before going back to Sun -

not sure if i covered everything - my computer room is rocking!

kj

Thanks so much for the report. I tried to book this yesterday for 3/18 cruise but my confirmation back did not have it so I am trying to find out if it is already sold out or if they just made a mistake. I hope we get on because my 10 year old is very excited about seeing a rainforest.

Zuzu, we tried to book this last week too for the 3/18 sailing of the Sun, and though our other excursion was confirmed, we're still waiting on the cave/rainforest confirmation. My BF is calling NCL about it today, but he was advised by someone at NCL that with some of the Samana excursions, it frequently takes more than 48 hours to get things confirmed. (Course, we're now at almost a week out).

I'm hoping that's the case -- I'm beginning to think this one will be worth it. :)

kj, thanks for the review. I will be anxious to read other reviews as we are going in April and this is one excursion that seems interesting. I hesitate to book as we did something similar in Belize about 4 years ago: it was a disaste; the only good part, we had something, along with 12 other people to laugh about the rest of the cruise. NMnita

Archived