Mahogany Bay questions

KKB

Assuming drink packages do not work here…

We booked chair ride over/ back plus clamshell & 2 chairs for $60.

But looks like an easy walk & chairs r available for free?

Chairs are available for free and you can walk along a paved path. The free chairs are in the back and there is limited shade. We’ve done it many times. We were there this past week on the Caribbean Princess and had some onboard credit to use up so we did the deal you are talking about. The guy there talked us into getting an umbrella and chairs in the first row and I have to say it was our favorite time ever going to Mahogany Bay. We would definitely book it again and sit under an umbrella rather than a clamshell. 

You are correct in that CHEERS will not work at Mahogany Bay.  Cash or credit card.  We've never taken the sky lift easy walk.   We're in our early 70s and DW has foot issues and I have bad knees.

Agree with Jeal, if you want a front row go for the umbrella.  Sometime there's shade around the middle of the beach but you're not near the water.

• 1 month later...

So not all of the beach chairs are free? Only requirement for us is a shady spot. Also, are the sand fleas really bad here?  On one of our previous visits to Roatan, I got eaten alive with those things at another beach.  Assuming they are bad everywhere.  ABQrobin - thanks for the video!  October will be our first visit back to MB since the restart.  It helped jog my memory - we enjoy this port since you don't have to leave the area to have a nice day.  We plan to get off the ship early (as soon as we dock), grab a chair on the beach and enjoy the day!

4 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

So not all of the beach chairs are free? Only requirement for us is a shady spot. Also, are the sand fleas really bad here?  On one of our previous visits to Roatan, I got eaten alive with those things at another beach.  Assuming they are bad everywhere.  ABQrobin - thanks for the video!  October will be our first visit back to MB since the restart.  It helped jog my memory - we enjoy this port since you don't have to leave the area to have a nice day.  We plan to get off the ship early (as soon as we dock), grab a chair on the beach and enjoy the day!

you're welcome! 

I did get lots of sand flea bites there and my son got zero.  No idea why.  I should have brought some spray to the beach, it was back in the room.  From what I have been told they run in cycles so one week there are none, another week their are lots of them.  No way to predict.  Its mostly an ankle thing, they love your salty ankles after you get out of the water.  

21 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

Same here - I had lots of bites, but DH had none.  And I soaked my legs in bug spray!  I guess they like my blood type!

what we found in past years was that the sand fleas, noseeums, were not affected by regular bug spray, we used to use something sold just for them called "Cactus Juice" which was available there at stores.  But from what I can see, it isn't available anymore.  Don't know if they went out of business during pandemic or maybe just changed the name.  It was a company in TX I think.  The spray worked great, but you had to keep applying every time you got out of water, all around your lower legs, etc.  It smelled lemony and was safe, unlike deet.  Wish I could find it again.

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

what we found in past years was that the sand fleas, noseeums, were not affected by regular bug spray, we used to use something sold just for them called "Cactus Juice" which was available there at stores.  But from what I can see, it isn't available anymore.  Don't know if they went out of business during pandemic or maybe just changed the name.  It was a company in TX I think.  The spray worked great, but you had to keep applying every time you got out of water, all around your lower legs, etc.  It smelled lemony and was safe, unlike deet.  Wish I could find it again.

Had been told the same when we were there.  I'll have to do some research.  Had forgotten about that - thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We loved Mahogany Bay in July! One of the nicest ports areas we have seen--DH called it the Disneyland of ports.

Chairs plentiful & free, shade & sun. We did not encounter bugs.

Beach is lovely BUT...2 foot drop of sand from chairs to beach area (not gradual) AND a similar drop off in the ocean. Walking out up the sand was a challenge! (I am 56 & walk regularly) 

A lady had a toddler playing on beach near waters edge & she had not idea if he took a couple extra steps of the drop off!

On 10/11/2022 at 4:45 PM, KKB said:

We loved Mahogany Bay in July! One of the nicest ports areas we have seen--DH called it the Disneyland of ports.

Chairs plentiful & free, shade & sun. We did not encounter bugs.

Beach is lovely BUT...2 foot drop of sand from chairs to beach area (not gradual) AND a similar drop off in the ocean. Walking out up the sand was a challenge! (I am 56 & walk regularly) 

A lady had a toddler playing on beach near waters edge & she had not idea if he took a couple extra steps of the drop off!

This is the first that I have heard of a steep drop off.  That concerns me.  Are some areas better than others?

1 hour ago, In Toronto said:

This is the first that I have heard of a steep drop off.  That concerns me.  Are some areas better than others?

The beach seemed to be an issue overall.

I can't comment on in the water.

Just returned from MB - don't walk all the way to the other end of the beach.  There was a horrible, HORRIBLE sewage smell down there!  Looked like they were having a sewage back up.  Needless to say we didn't stay long. Also, looked like most of the free yellow chairs had an obstructed view from the large clamshells in front.  Bottom line - get there early for best selection!

• 2 months later...

We went there at the beginning of June last year.  We really enjoyed our time there.  The Beach does drop off suddenly, but we had the floats they provided and it was very nice but hard to get back out of the water.  Also, the clamshells were very hot in June,  next time we will get a chair in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 11:45 PM, lelo14 said:

I expect to be there March 16, 2023. Wondering what to expect with regards to seaweed.  The last time we went the cruise line advised against the beaches for this reason.

We got seats in the back, under the trees, (near massage hut, right in front of fishy foot thing--HIGHLY recommend) there were TONS, plenty to choose from so didn't have to sit behind the clamshells.

And we did NOT get there early...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was thinking about going on the magical flying chairs to the beach at mohogony bay To those who have done this before how much time are you above the water.im okay over trees and ground but alike apprehensive about over the water. Please give some info on this thanks

19 hours ago, TrixiePixie said:

I was thinking about going on the magical flying chairs to the beach at mohogony bay To those who have done this before how much time are you above the water.im okay over trees and ground but alike apprehensive about over the water. Please give some info on this thanks

As I recall the only water you are over is the inlet just before the beach. Those not using the chairlift have a small bridge they cross over.  You will have a great view of the entire area including all the water.