Jump to content
,

Lack of staff- Ventura


Recommended Posts

On 6/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, jeanlyon said:

although I have some sympathy, you do have to remember that they get board and all their food, so you can't compare it to our minimum wage.

Indeed they do.  But they stil work seven days a week for over six months at a time, without a day off.  I'm not sure many Brits would do that for minimum wage with or without board and food.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kevcharben said:

Me too


And I’m sure that will please Virgin.  Most on this forum are not their target market and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Virgin PR people gave instructions to the film crew not to focus on the older ‘sailors’. It will be interesting to see in the remaining episodes.

 

Many years ago, when I was teaching in the south east, I was invited to take a party of upper sixth students to the recording of a (short-lived) daytime magazine-type programme.  Free transport provided.  My students were sat in prominent front positions and our ‘handler’ explained that they wanted to give the impression of a younger audience!

 

Virgin is aiming at a younger ‘hip’ market than most of us (just guessing about ‘most’ 😉)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, besberry said:

Indeed they do.  But they stil work seven days a week for over six months at a time, without a day off.  I'm not sure many Brits would do that for minimum wage with or without board and food.

Yes agree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly worried  We are on Ventura in December on a 35 day cruise . .  Arvia maiden voyage is in December .   If they can’t staff their present ships in service and having to close speciality restaurants  passengers currently on board are reporting pools are drained and netted over .   Where are they going to pull the staff for Arvia   Taking in mind the Amount of passengers 5200      I’m hoping we aren’t sailing with services cut back even more.🤔.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, KarenandPaul said:

Slightly worried  We are on Ventura in December on a 35 day cruise . .  Arvia maiden voyage is in December .   If they can’t staff their present ships in service and having to close speciality restaurants  passengers currently on board are reporting pools are drained and netted over .   Where are they going to pull the staff for Arvia   Taking in mind the Amount of passengers 5200      I’m hoping we aren’t sailing with services cut back even more.🤔.  

Some crew who are joining Arvia will start rotating off shortly. They may have up to 4 months at home before joining Arvia in late October - mid November for a 6-8 month contract. Others will join straight from another ship.

 

With a new ship, the crew is normally always experienced crew taken from across the fleet. New crew backfill across the fleet.

 

If you follow P&O on LinkedIn, you'll note that there is a big recruitment drive across India and Asia to increase their pool of staff to contract across the fleet.

 

I've been asking around and understand that Virgin have not attracted many P&O staff. The bigger problem is that is that a) staff are not returning to cruising, instead choosing to remain at home or take on bigger family roles (e.g. following covid deaths in the family); or b) staff are still contracting Covid in their home country therefore not able to travel to take up their contract.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Some crew who are joining Arvia will start rotating off shortly. They may have up to 4 months at home before joining Arvia in late October - mid November for a 6-8 month contract. Others will join straight from another ship.

 

With a new ship, the crew is normally always experienced crew taken from across the fleet. New crew backfill across the fleet.

 

If you follow P&O on LinkedIn, you'll note that there is a big recruitment drive across India and Asia to increase their pool of staff to contract across the fleet.

 

I've been asking around and understand that Virgin have not attracted many P&O staff. The bigger problem is that is that a) staff are not returning to cruising, instead choosing to remain at home or take on bigger family roles (e.g. following covid deaths in the family); or b) staff are still contracting Covid in their home country therefore not able to travel to take up their contract.

I follow your point and have seen the new ship staff shuffle a few times. I however am very concerned about the possibility of Epicurean being closed and the Glasshouse not serving food being only notified once on board. For me that would be a very significant no go. I eat every night in Epicurean and every lunchtime in the Glasshouse. On Iona in December that may alter at lunch but not dinner. If I get on board for 21 nights and find these venues shut that will be awful. I will need to know before hand then I can move or cancel the cruise yes it matters that much. Can I find out nearer the time and who is best to ask?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2022 at 11:42 PM, KarenandPaul said:

Slightly worried  We are on Ventura in December on a 35 day cruise . .  Arvia maiden voyage is in December .   If they can’t staff their present ships in service and having to close speciality restaurants  passengers currently on board are reporting pools are drained and netted over .   Where are they going to pull the staff for Arvia   Taking in mind the Amount of passengers 5200      I’m hoping we aren’t sailing with services cut back even more.🤔.  

We've just booked this as well and while I understand the operational difficulties they have I would hope for the full facilities and services to be available on such a cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ccpm said:

I follow your point and have seen the new ship staff shuffle a few times. I however am very concerned about the possibility of Epicurean being closed and the Glasshouse not serving food being only notified once on board. For me that would be a very significant no go. I eat every night in Epicurean and every lunchtime in the Glasshouse. On Iona in December that may alter at lunch but not dinner. If I get on board for 21 nights and find these venues shut that will be awful. I will need to know before hand then I can move or cancel the cruise yes it matters that much. Can I find out nearer the time and who is best to ask?

Clearly this is not standard operating practice and by Christmas, I’d anticipate crew levels being restored to normal.

 

in practice, any venue closures will be short term as any staff shortages shouldn’t be enough to be noticeable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes - Aurora leaving on July 8th:"opening days and times in our speciality restaurants are being affected, as well as service in some bars".

Fortunately we don't use the speciality dining rooms or the bars, but understand the unhappiness from those who see these as major parts of their cruise experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just of my Celebrity cruise.  They said shortages but truthfully it's a perfect experience. All restaurants open and fully staffed. Turn down occurring, choccy on pillow etc. Room cleaned twice a day - we had 4 large towels every morning in case we shower again later.  Immaculate everywhere. I can not fault anything.  If this is short staff situation they are hiding it really well although 1600 guests may have helped.

 

Over to Princess next week will be interesting to compare.  Sadly my recent Britannia experience although good cannot match my Edge one for service in these times.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ccpm said:

I follow your point and have seen the new ship staff shuffle a few times. I however am very concerned about the possibility of Epicurean being closed and the Glasshouse not serving food being only notified once on board. For me that would be a very significant no go. I eat every night in Epicurean and every lunchtime in the Glasshouse. On Iona in December that may alter at lunch but not dinner. If I get on board for 21 nights and find these venues shut that will be awful. I will need to know before hand then I can move or cancel the cruise yes it matters that much. Can I find out nearer the time and who is best to ask?

There is talk elsewhere of Epicurian closing for 2 months on every ship due to "supply issues". Not sure if that is food supplies, staff or both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Just of my Celebrity cruise.  They said shortages but truthfully it's a perfect experience. All restaurants open and fully staffed. Turn down occurring, choccy on pillow etc. Room cleaned twice a day - we had 4 large towels every morning in case we shower again later.  Immaculate everywhere. I can not fault anything.  If this is short staff situation they are hiding it really well although 1600 guests may have helped.

 

Over to Princess next week will be interesting to compare.  Sadly my recent Britannia experience although good cannot match my Edge one for service in these times.

I hope Silhouette is as good. 3 weeks to go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Clearly this is not standard operating practice and by Christmas, I’d anticipate crew levels being restored to normal.

 

in practice, any venue closures will be short term as any staff shortages shouldn’t be enough to be noticeable.

Have to pay our Iona October 8th balance on 10 July which is 1 day after our return from Regal Princess.  I would be reluctant to pay my balance if these venues are closing long term due to "supply issues,".  Having just experienced Celebrity Edge with absolutely no food/drink shortages my loyalty will be severely tested if Iona fails to deliver.

 

Regarding my Christmas cruise I am monitoring closely. Already paying way over the odds and seeing other people enjoy price reductions on other cruises so again if matter not sorted I will not hesitate to jump ship now I've experienced another line's "shortness".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Not sure if that is food supplies, staff or both.

I was told on our recent Britannia cruises that there were a few supply issues with the food in Epicurean but it appeared to be resolved the following week.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

this is what P&O are heading with their email about a future Ventura Cruise

Quote

Your summer at sea...

We’re so delighted you’ll be on board with us this summer. If you’ve sailed with us before, we can’t wait to welcome you back. If it’s your first holiday with us, we’re thrilled you’ve chosen P&O Cruises and hope you’ll have a fantastic time.

As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages. Cruise ships are no exception. Despite this, we are, of course, fully committed to giving you the most wonderful holiday possible while we may have to make the occasional change. Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants are being affected as well as service in some bars. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated.

Ashore, you’ll find we still have incredible adventures in stunning destinations for you to discover those moments that really matter. There are also a number of new experiences across our ships for you to enjoy such as new menus, extra entertainment, special guests and activities (plus all the usual P&O Cruises favourites). It’s going to be a spectacular summer at sea 

 

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

such as new menus

Whilst technically the menus may be "new" they are basically the "old" menus that have been rearranged and the options reduced.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Just of my Celebrity cruise.  They said shortages but truthfully it's a perfect experience. All restaurants open and fully staffed. Turn down occurring, choccy on pillow etc. Room cleaned twice a day - we had 4 large towels every morning in case we shower again later.  Immaculate everywhere. I can not fault anything.  If this is short staff situation they are hiding it really well although 1600 guests may have helped.

 

 

Very interesting, thank you. Was this the Silhouette cruise to Ireland and Iceland that docked in Southampton this morning? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My cruise is not until 26th November B2B with the following one. I will give it a couple of months but if not sorted that will be gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will I suspect all pan out in the end. As with any jobs some pay more than others. Years ago I managed to get a job at our local I.C.I. factory making Dulux paint. My father, ex Father-in-Law, ex Brother-in-Law and ex Wife all worked there. Well my ex wife still works there, but sadly it's no longer I.C.I. Everyone scramble to work there, even people who were qualified for other jobs simply because it was a regular job, very secure etc, etc. Maybe there is a new kid on the block who pays more to cruise staff. But just as with my job only a certain number can work for that Company. Also some may be a tad annoyed if the cruise line they worked for laid them off during the height of the pandemic and they decided to work in other industries or whatever. Having had a background of catering I am only too aware of the long hours and poor pay and some of the staff on these ships are serving breakfast, helping with passengers going ashore and then being in the restaurant for the evening meal and I would suggest with this anytime dining it means setting up of tables a lot more often than when you had a 6.30 and 8.30 sitting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

 

Very interesting, thank you. Was this the Silhouette cruise to Ireland and Iceland that docked in Southampton this morning? 

No. I cruised from Rome to Barcelona on Celebrity Edge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s my second day on Ventura and I said I’d report back so here goes. No Epicurean and the only ‘pay-for’ dining experiences appear to be the Beach House and Sindhu.  Today, a sea day, there was no restaurant open for a table service lunch, which was disappointing.

 

Our deluxe balcony cabin on deck 9 is okay but oh those tiny TVs 😟. And before someone beats me to it, I don’t cruise to watch TV either but I do like to see the map of where we are, and follow the news.  The aft end of deck 9 including the lifts, and possibly deck 10, are closed off for quarantine purposes.  I say possibly 10 because the aft lifts are not stopping at either of these decks and there is a quarantine notice on deck 9.

 

We went for breakfast at 8.20 am and already were being told ‘no tables for 2 available’.  We saw some but were happy to share so made no comment.  The waiters appeared rushed off their feet and had to have things requested several times - coffee and jam in our case.

 

I am sailing with our favourite line, Celebrity, shortly and it will be interesting to compare, since cruises we took with them last year out of Southampton, and this year out of Fort Lauderdale were excellent.


These are minor quibbles but are at odds with the stellar experience on Sky Princess back in March. Oh, and a real biggie; our cabin attendant apologised for no box of chocolates in the cabin (they hadn’t arrived) but the champagne was in the fridge - I’m a functioning chocoholic who dislikes alcohol 😂😂.  


 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

stellar experience on Sky Princess back in March.

Reinforces the point I made earlier regarding Britannia. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

It’s my second day on Ventura and I said I’d report back so here goes. No Epicurean and the only ‘pay-for’ dining experiences appear to be the Beach House and Sindhu.  Today, a sea day, there was no restaurant open for a table service lunch, which was disappointing.

Similar on Azura this week, except Sindhu isn’t open either - although the MDR is open for lunch. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...