Kavala

roberts2005

Kavala's not a very common port so you may not get a lot of details. When I was there, I was on a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity which includes shore excursions. I went to the ancient site of Philippi (not too far out of Kavala, maybe 30 minutes at most).  It's a large archaeological site, mainly Roman. I enjoyed it primarily because it is the site of the battle where the forces of Octavian and Mark Antony defeated the army of Caesar's killers, Brutus and Cassius. There is a large plain next to the ruins, very picturesque. One can use one's imagination....

If that doesn't sound interesting to you, it does sound like there are a few things you could visit on your own in Kavala (although it's not huge, it is not a small place either, so you'd need to figure out how to get around).  If you look at the link below, skip down to Sightseeing in Kavala for some suggestions:

https://www.ferryhopper.com/en/destinations/kavala

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Kavala's not a very common port so you may not get a lot of details. When I was there, I was on a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity which includes shore excursions. I went to the ancient site of Philippi (not too far out of Kavala, maybe 30 minutes at most).  It's a large archaeological site, mainly Roman. I enjoyed it primarily because it is the site of the battle where the forces of Octavian and Mark Antony defeated the army of Caesar's killers, Brutus and Cassius. There is a large plain next to the ruins, very picturesque. One can use one's imagination....

If that doesn't sound interesting to you, it does sound like there are a few things you could visit on your own in Kavala (although it's not huge, it is not a small place either, so you'd need to figure out how to get around).  If you look at the link below, skip down to Sightseeing in Kavala for some suggestions:

https://www.ferryhopper.com/en/destinations/kavala

Thank you for your thoughts.  Unless I find out anything different, we will most likely do the shops tour to Philippi.