May not be able to cruise after all, and Celebrity isn't interested in helping :(

OttawaJohn

1 hour ago, OttawaJohn said:

I purchased after the cut, though just, on April 2nd.  

I was suspecting you prbably did. That timing sure was unfortunate. And was just joshing you about it being a secret. Many people have reasons for doing things that need not be explained. I myself was primarily interested in which came first, the booking or the PP renewal application. I still think X"s policy sucks--penalties/forfeitures should be tied to whether they can resell the cabin. (Because you know they will, and they get a windfall.)

Good luck.

22 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

I did find some that cover if your 'travel visa is not ready through no fault of your own.'  However, contract law 101 give that a lot of wiggle room.  A visa is not a passport.  Same theory in most regards but they could argue it says visa, not passport, so no dice.

Unfortunately there are some foreign passengers in Seattle hoping to board their cruise ship to Alaska surprised to find out that they need a Canadian Visa due to the stop in Victoria.  Many of these passengers are friends or family members of US citizens, who are unaware of the need of having a Canadian Visa.  The US friends or family members will suggest a group cruise to Alaska to these visiting foreign nationals thinking only about the Alaskan port-of-calls.  Some also believe that just having the US Visa will qualify them to visit Canada, which isn't the case.  This often happens to passport holders from India, South American countries and South Africa.  It is so sad when these folks are denied boarding at the terminal, and then their US friends/family have to make the decision as to whether they will cruise, or voluntarily miss the cruise and also forfeit their cruise fare (port taxes & fees and and prepaid excursions, etc will be refunded, but not the actual cruise fare).

On 6/22/2022 at 4:04 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Not the same thing but here in the US the global entry requires an interview and the closest one is 3 hrs away and is booked for months.  I was able to schedule an appointment the day before boarding a cruise in San Juan with no wait at all.

We applied for a Nexus card got accepted for an Interview, none available in Canada, so Hubby deceided we are driving for 6 hrs for our apptmt in Maine.

51 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Unfortunately there are some foreign passengers in Seattle hoping to board their cruise ship to Alaska surprised to find out that they need a Canadian Visa due to the stop in Victoria.  Many of these passengers are friends or family members of US citizens, who are unaware of the need of having a Canadian Visa.  The US friends or family members will suggest a group cruise to Alaska to these visiting foreign nationals thinking only about the Alaskan port-of-calls.  Some also believe that just having the US Visa will qualify them to visit Canada, which isn't the case.  This often happens to passport holders from India, South American countries and South Africa.  It is so sad when these folks are denied boarding at the terminal, and then their US friends/family have to make the decision as to whether they will cruise, or voluntarily miss the cruise and also forfeit their cruise fare (port taxes & fees and and prepaid excursions, etc will be refunded, but not the actual cruise fare).

Interesting, I hadn't considered that.  My wife and I plan later in life to do some world cruise legs and I have a note to ensure we examine carefully any Visa requirements that may be needed.

Am curious, if they just didn't disembark in Victoria, would they still need a Visa?  I'm guessing so, since we can't just do honor system they wouldn't get off and can't put the onus on the cruise line to check as they leave to ensure they are allowed to.

31 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Am curious, if they just didn't disembark in Victoria, would they still need a Visa?  I'm guessing so, since we can't just do honor system they wouldn't get off and can't put the onus on the cruise line to check as they leave to ensure they are allowed to.

No, no honor system option for staying on the ship if a passenger didn't have the required visa for Canada - although that is certainly an augment that is sometimes made in hopes of sailing.  Sadly, for those foreign nationals who need the Canadian Visa and arrive at the pier without it, the only outcome is a full stop denied boarding.  At Pier 91 in Seattle it happens basically every cruise day.   

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OttawaJohn said:

For any still curious, I got my new passport today.  Alaska, here I come... assuming my flight with Air Canada isn't a disaster 🙂

Almost everything I have stressed the most about turned out okay. But...the things I did preparing for the worst case scenarios had a lot to do with why they turned out ok. Congrats on getting through what we hope will be your biggest stress, and have fun with all the good stuff coming your way!

Obviously everyone has seen a few of these passport threads. The Canadian and US governments need to get into the 21st century and not require sending in the current valid one for renewal. They just send it back to you anyway, they have all your passport stuff in the database. 

Congratulations. May you have a terrific cruise. 

Of course this probably comes as a great disappointment to a certain number of posters on this thread who were gleefully hoping that you'd get your comeuppance for having the temerity to even suggest that Celebrity cut you some slack for something that, in their august opinion, was totally your fault. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

For any still curious, I got my new passport today.  Alaska, here I come... assuming my flight with Air Canada isn't a disaster 🙂

I am absolutely delighted for you. Thanks for coming back on with the update. Have a fabulous trip.

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

@OttawaJohn, just got off the Solstice on our Alaska cruise and had a Great time! The only thing I’ll say is, we didn’t need to coats we brought! Just layering. Fantastic cruise.

Enjoy!

den

Good to know, thanks.  Been looking into the clothing situation, especially since, given Air Canada's issues, we are shooting for carry-on only.  Layering seems the best bet!

On 6/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, OttawaJohn said:

I really love the number of people informing me that Celebrity has nothing to do with passports.  Thank you, I was truly confused on this.  I thought celebrities controlled everything 😋

Thanks for everyone who have some helpful suggestions or pointed out a few options.

Once we get to the 10 day window, I am going to try to get it transferred locally.  And if it gets to the two day, I will do what I can for the expedited.  As I understand it, your MP can sometimes help as well if you're really stuck.  Still, will see what happens.

Wow with this attitude surprised you are getting any help here at all. 

Edited by kathy49

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I think that he was just inserting a little bit of humor to his situation. I’m glad it all worked out for him.

10 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Obviously everyone has seen a few of these passport threads. The Canadian and US governments need to get into the 21st century and not require sending in the current valid one for renewal. They just send it back to you anyway, they have all your passport stuff in the database. 

They absolutely positively need the old passport back to cancel it.  There are security measures that need to be destroyed to render it useless.  Looks the sme except a couple holes - isn't the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I don’t understand that either…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

There are security measures that need to be destroyed to render it useless.

It it useless once it hits the expiration date. There is no reason they can't process your new one while you still use the current valid one. It is not like the old non RFID/computer data-base passports that could be altered or faked fairly easy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

They absolutely positively need the old passport back to cancel it.  There are security measures that need to be destroyed to render it useless.  Looks the sme except a couple holes - isn't the same.

Maybe that explains it..

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Not into puns, eh? Some say they are the lowest form of humor. Others say puns are the only jokes that have no butt of the joke. Still others just don't get it because they don't notice them (Celebrity...celebrities).

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I think that he was just inserting a little bit of humor to his situation. I’m glad it all worked out for him.

That or after so many negative responses sent my way, it was that or scream 🙂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

It is not necessarily useless. From the Dept. of State

We recommend keeping your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

If your old passport is linked to a valid visa, you can still use the valid visa. You must travel with both your new and old passport in this case.

not sure about Canada but processing here in US  requires a long lead time....sent mine in and maybe took at least 2 months.  It is just the way it is.  The thing that got me about this thread is thinking Celebrity cared about it or would accommodate changes etc.   And in response to the puns and humor correct totally missed it.  

• Like 1