The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 28th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Insurance Awareness Day, Paul Bunyan Day, and National Columists Day

Yes; I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Florentine Meatballs
Drink of the Day - Paloma
wine of the Day - chateau ste. michelle mimi chardonnay, wa
Destination of the Day - Akureyri, Iceland

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Mykonos, Greece eta 06/29

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/29

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0628Atlantic.thumb.png.a3a0771830f60368371a716fb6afca9a.png

0628Alaska.thumb.png.eabe314d4a928cabe3a513bd83a4f27e.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A cool but sunny morning, supposed to warm up this afternoon.

Interesting days.  I know insurance is important, but unfortunately, my eyes sometimes glaze over when I think about it too much.  Stories about Paul Bunyan are quite entertaining.   A big thank you to newspaper columnists.

Curious quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure the drink is tasty.  Hope the wine is good.

Prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Strange quote.

The meal is probably pretty good.

Visiting Iceland is not on my Bucket List, I just don't care for cold places, that's why we moved from Chicago to Florida 29 years ago.

Had an Eagle on the golf course yesterday, knocked a 9 iron in the hole from a 110 yards out, the sad news is at one time I could hit a nine iron 130+ yards.

Thanks for the Daily, stay well and have a great day. 

• Like 32

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Looks like a nice day in store for us here.  While I know that insurance is necessary it’s one topic that I have less than no interest in, says the boring accountant.  I loved reading about Paul Bunyan as a kid.  Seems like all my favorite columnists have been riding off into the sunset.  Great quote today; probably because I’m still waking up!  The meal an wine sound very nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  Love all 3 days.  I was booked for Akureyri once on the Crystal Symphony but cancelled for 70MPH winds.  I'm pretty much the opposite of a dreamer,  loving the dawn.  The meal sounds good.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, and Tournedos Rossini as served on MS Prinsendam May 29, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Tana with persistant cough
Sam in hospital Covid complications
JazzyV leg infection but improving
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Pat with leg issues
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove brother successful feeding tube placement
Sharon caring for her mother
Eagle for Mister67
4 days for ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
3 days for me (QM2 July 1 to 8 )
StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) ,  Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon from a sunny 68°F North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days especially for me in the UK.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Strange quote.

I hope everyone is well.

Prayers 🙏for whoever need them.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220628_121411.jpg

Screenshot_20220628_121351.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another lovely morning, though a bit humid. We had more storms up yesterday afternoon, so at least I don’t have to add water to the pool. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. Off to an early class. Will hunt for my Akureyri posting from last year, when I get home. 

0DC287AD-DCF4-478F-8CB7-F9B75E06C8A5.jpeg.5b107a0422838e54d3356de4b59389ff.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

chateau ste. michelle mimi chardonnay

All released vintages of this wine share the same very good - excellent reviews and reasonable price, so pick up whichever one you come across. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $11.98.

Winemaker Notes

Discover Mimi, a delicious Chardonnay sourced from the Horse Heaven Hills, including Chateau Ste. Michelle’s Canoe Ridge Estate Vineyard. Mimi is crafted in a lightly oaked, fresh style which allows the bright, elegant fruit to shine through.

Pair with salmon, crab cakes, and poultry.

W&S90 Wine & Spirits
This is crisp and lemony, with a forward juicy-apple note that’s light, fresh and firm. With its nervy acidity, it’s suitable for chilling down to serve as an aperitif.
WE90 Wine Enthusiast
Mimi Chardonnay (Horse Heaven Hills). Cream, spice and roasted squash aromas draw you into the glass. The palate is graceful and elegant, with impeccable balance to the stone fruit and pumpkin flavors throughout, along with a pretty sense of texture. A lingering finish caps it off. It walks the tightrope perfectly.
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  Love all 3 days.  I was booked for Akureyri once on the Crystal Symphony but cancelled for 70MPH winds.  I'm pretty much the opposite of a dreamer,  loving the dawn.  The meal sounds good.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, and Tournedos Rossini as served on MS Prinsendam May 29, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Tana with persistant cough
Sam in hospital Covid complications
JazzyV leg infection but improving
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Pat with leg issues
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove brother successful feeding tube placement
Sharon caring for her mother
Eagle for Mister67
4 days for ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
3 days for me (QM2 July 1 to 😎
StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) ,  Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

Graham.

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon from a sunny 68°F North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days especially for me in the UK.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Strange quote.

I hope everyone is well.

Prayers 🙏for whoever need them.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220628_121411.jpg

Screenshot_20220628_121351.jpg

Thanks for the Paul Bunyan info, back in 1966 I saw one of the large statues in Brainerd Minnesota which was one of the locations  in that crazy but pretty good "Fargo" movie.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 18

Paloma cocktail:

Kosher salt
1 grapefruit wedge
¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup mescal or tequila
¼ cup club soda
Preparation
Step 1
Pour some kosher salt on a plate. Rub half of rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge; dip rim of glass in salt. Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in glass; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in mescal, add ice, and top off with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 7.57.14 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Dailyites.  With all the terrible news in the news, I'll just start with humor

d7eac19c5757b82a4b6c7f442d185691.jpg

798632e0673812f01928bcdcc3f1e37f.jpg

DH and I are joining a group from the senior center to go see the George W Bush portrait art exhibition at the Atlanta History Museum.  I've lived here more than 40 years, and never been there.  It's not a part of town that I know well so when they offered a bus ride DH and I decided to sign up.  The bus is free, but the museum tickets have to be paid for when we get there, and no one at the center takes cash.  Masks must be worn.

The weather?  today, not as hot as it has been, rain is in the forecast, humidity is way up.  Ahh summer in the south.  I cant wait to see the pictures of the Iceland.  I was looking at my DNA from Ancestry before I cancel the membership- percentages show starting from most to least-Sweden, Denmark, England, Scotland, Norway, Wales, and little itty bitty bits of Baltic, Russia and Finland.  I hate hot, and now I really know why. 

Have a great day.  Hug yourself and your loved ones, and I hope you can find a moment of serenity.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone.

It is looking like a beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  Bright sunshine greets you and the temps are perfect for doing my laps.  I'll look and see if I have any Akureyri  pictures.  I didn't spend time in town and instead took an excursion that took me away from town and out to see wonderful geologic features.   

Today's meal sounds like a good one.  In the first recipe you get the whole meal with an acceptable number of carbs as it uses spaghetti squash instead of noodles.  You could use regular spaghetti noodles if you wanted.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-florentine-meatballs/

1797115644_chickenflorentinemeatballs1.jpg.dedb85da91ce33c67d48b5ef1531828f.jpg

This next one looks a little green, but that is because of the spinach.   I'll bet the meatballs taste divine.  https://www.jessicagavin.com/chicken-florentine-meatballs-recipe/

1765695639_chickenflorentinemeatballs2.thumb.jpg.c5d7f46413cbb863c2be7fc1346f0ce2.jpg

IN this last recipe Rachael Ray uses a cheese sauce instead of a traditional tomato sauce.  Keep in mind  you can also use ground turkey instead of ground chicken.  I suppose you could do it with ground beef as well, but spinach probably wouldn't stand out as much.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/florentine-meatballs-recipe-1944510

1913185676_chickenflorentinemeatballs3.jpeg.990e2077032fda96034f9c1e092d1d19.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning from Sydney,  the weather forecast was for rain today but the sun is breaking through.  Today's meal suggestion sounds good.  We would like to visit Iceland and I showed DH the itinerary that @dfish is looking at and it appeals a lot.  Only problem is that work won't give us 25 days off.

No agenda for today.  We will just walk around and see what's out there.

20220628_090611.thumb.jpg.76b2813c23afce6f5028307e4a0f9a50.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

Attached are a few photos from our VO cruise around Iceland last July. Our port call for Akureyri  found us on an all day excursion into the countryside so did not have time to wander in the city. But we did see their famous heart-shaped red lights on the traffic signals.

DSC07871.thumb.JPG.3e0c579fc2999b945452ea0e47896fd7.JPG

DSC07872.thumb.JPG.7517374ce8d1c853e7db2a05fafb2146.JPG

Akureyri

DSC07874.thumb.JPG.a03b491ab0049814ec1f8323143cbc3b.JPG

Godafoss

DSC07902.thumb.JPG.9935b47a29af7b670597311cb13c0545.JPG

DSC07910.thumb.JPG.9cb4ec11d4e3a05854772269a136e106.JPG

DSC07904.thumb.JPG.b4abb0e590800c9caf8ac0ad54d511d6.JPG

DSC07916.thumb.JPG.39e5244ea6499390629bd78bd6afd69d.JPG

DSC07923.thumb.JPG.f6da91f955db94ebe35158557973f2b2.JPG

DSC07932.thumb.JPG.67cbdeb3daa969fd8358731dad3c6a95.JPG

DSC07929.thumb.JPG.23832807f45bda7670d843dae3eec15e.JPG

DSC07944.thumb.JPG.4b00a8347e4e19e7271b3b1be3902424.JPG

DSC07945.thumb.JPG.2b26bc68125a87966fbc819fd2f5e6be.JPG

DSC07948.thumb.JPG.cc8d79124b716b63218f5e80c1401ae8.JPG

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 5

A quiet day here today. Badly needed rain from thunderstorms are due midday.

Prayers for the 46 souls found in San Antonio and for the three that perished on the Amtrak derailment.  Prayers for those lost in the Ukraine mall rocket attack and all involved in the war in Europe. Thank you for the Daily Reports.  The Chateau St. Michelle Mimi chardonnay is offered on BHBs. It is a good value wine. 

IMG_20220624_075127799_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220624_073345587_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220624_075150437_HDR.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  My first two jobs were in the insurance industry - I realized early in life the value of it.  Yay for Paul Bunyan and Babe.  I admire columnists for the work they do and can't imagine what goes on in their brains sometime.    I like today's quote, although I like seeing the dawn after having slept through the moonlight.  I'm a morning person.  

It's a beautiful morning here today; clear blue skies, just a gentle breeze, and the sound of robins singing throughout the neighbourhood.  Life is good, especially when I'm able to sit on the deck with my laptop, morning tea and Sochi.  We're listening to the city waking up, knowing we don't have to be anywhere or do anything specific today.

DH is heading out this morning with his friend - they're going to be entertaining at a food bank for a couple of hours.  It'll be the first time he's played publicly since his heart issues in January and he's now second-guessing whether he should have agreed to it.  I know he's a perfectionist and doesn't want to be seen making any mistakes, but I told him I'm pretty sure there won't be any America's Got Talent judges in the crowd, so he'll be fine. 

The only thing I have on my agenda is baking a brownie, as the friends who will be joining us on our January cruise will be coming over this afternoon to talk about the trip.  We'll be figuring out if we'll travel together or not, as it's going to depend on flights and prices - which are out of control!  I've been researching flights and they're going to cost almost as much as the cruise itself - yikes!

@1ANGELCATI made the orange pie and found it to be very rich; I think it's because the orange juice concentrate is much thicker than lemonade.  Next time I'd use a double amount of Cool Whip and would likely turn it into a cake, using the 9x13 pan  lined with graham wafer crumb base instead of the pie shells.

@SusieKIslandGirlI'm glad to hear you tried limeade - I know we'd like that one, as we both really enjoy key lime pie.

I like today's menu suggestion, but will be tucking it away for another time.  DH and I went out to a lovely Greek restaurant last night where the portions were huge, so we'll be having leftovers tonight.  DH has pork souvlaki and lemon roast potatoes while I'll be enjoying the rest of my chicken frajolaki and Greek salad on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine who are having to endure much more than they ever should.  We'll raise our glasses and salute all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when needed and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

No storms here, they all stayed north of us. 

Insurance makes my eyes glaze over. I consider myself an intelligent person but when reading an insurance policy, I am useless.  There always seems to be some loophole.

The meal suggestion looks good. Thanks Debbie @dfishfor the recipes.

Have not been to todays port but we are booked for 7/23. So looking forward to pictures.

@MISTER 67 Congratulations on the Eagle yesterday. Never had one, although have been close a few times. I am just grateful I can still get out there!

Today is errand day. So will be running around for a few hours today. It will be good to get everything done before the crowds arrive for the holiday weekend.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I’m happy to say Sam is out of the hospital . He’s on oral steroids instead of IV but still coughing and he says his chest still hurts. They said he’s not contagious but I’m waiting for a negative test.

Prayers for all who need them.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4