New to Royal, do I have questions!

We’re platinum on Princess and both daughter and son-in-law enjoyed our Baltic cruise on Princess in 2019. 

However we aren’t comfortable doing a Mediterranean one yet so we’re looking at Royal for Thanksgiving in 2023. 

We haven’t been on Royal since 2009. It will be an Oasis class ship. 

Is there a cliff notes section or something where I can find out about reservations etc. 

My understanding is entertainment and dining reservations are made through the RC app now for most ships. Ship Wi-Fi is free(for app use only). Shows and dining reservations can be made on there. Menus for each day are also displayed, and theme nights at windjammer(Italian, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, etc). An alternative would be going to guest services. 

Once you’re on the app you can select live sailings on various ships and explore their shows and dining options to get a feel for it. 

If you’re doing traditional dining vs mytime dining you’ll have a locked in time for dinner. For mytime you have flexibility and can show up in-person or make a reservation on the app but still might wait in line. 

I was on Oasis in 2017 and I’m booked on Wonder for 2023. There’s been changes since then. The information above is the latest way of doing it, based on my research. Someone correct me if it’s not accurate. Not sure if you’re referring to booking a cruise or other reservations.

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KBS1607 said:

Is there a cliff notes section or something where I can find out about reservations etc. 

Are you talking about booking a particular ship? Is that what you mean by reservations?  Or like previous poster mentioned, and reserving shows, dining, etc. on the ship?

Once you book your sailing you want to check out cruise planner for items such as specialty dining, internet, excursions, etc.       Black Friday usually has the best sales for these items.    

Re:    booking - if you book your cruise now and see a price reduction in the future you can what is called a "reprice" up until final payment is due.   

You can also do this with items purchased in cruise planner.     If you find out there is a lower price simply cancel the item then re-purchase at new price.     

Suggest you download the royal caribbean app to your cell phone.    You can browse current sailings to check out what they are offering for current entertainment, menus, etc.     

What other questions?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KBS1607 said:

It will probably be Oasis for Thanksgiving of 2023. Still waiting for son-in-laws work approval. 

OK, you can go on the RCCL website and get an idea for cabin prices and availability for that ship on that date.  You might also consider using a TA who might do things like give you OBC, included gratuities, dining, etc.  A TA can also help with flights, hotels and other travel needs.  Once you have booked, you then have access to RCCL's Cruise Planner where you can pre-purchase shore excursions, Internet access, spa treatments, specialty dining, and beverage packages.  Prices fluctuate.  Ignore that "sale" banners - everything is always on sale.  Just watch the bottom line price.   Buy when you are comfortable with the price, and if it drops later on, you can always "return" a purchase and re-buy at lower price. 

You will see "bundles" that include Voom Internet.  Those are usually not as good a deal as buying it separately.  You don't need to buy Voom for each person - you can buy an multi-device package for one person, then share.  In fact, you only need to buy it for the maximum number of simultaneous devices.  Three people may only need two at a time online.  

Download the Royal app.  You can then access menus (including bar menus with drink prices) for your cruise.  You will use the app to check-in and select a boarding time 45 days prior to your cruise.  The morning before boarding, or once onboard, use the app to watch the safety video.  You then report to your designated muster station and they confirm that you watched the video and check you off the list - no more mass muster drills waiting in a lifejacket for the drunk stragglers to show up! 

If you haven't cruised since COVID, then you need to learn about all the requirements related to that.  You must be fully vaccinated more than two weeks prior to your embarkation (fully means 2 shots of Modern or Pfizer, or on of J&J, boosters are not required).  As of now, they require a negative CVOID test to be take no more than 2 days before boarding.  There are some other rules if you have recovered from COVID but continue to test positive 2 days prior to boarding.  Masks are not required onboard, but there is no social distancing or other special precautions, except the crew does mask.  If you have the ship test you while onboard and you are positive for COVID, you will be removed from your cabin and quarantined.  

If you want to book seats for shows and specialty dining, you can do that once onboard, and you should do it as soon as you board to get the best times/seats.  That is, unless you are in a full suite (which is not a Junior Suite, but a Grand Suite or above).  Suite guests will get an email from the concierge a few days before sailing and can then request these things be pre-booked.  

I hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction!

• Thanks 2

Rudeney,  thank you, that’s just the sort of thing I needed to know. I think we may try to book this week.

I’m just so used to Princess. It’s good to learn new things. My daughter and son-in-law are excited about the private islands. The one we’re booking goes to both. 

I'm glad that helps - I probably gave you more info than you asked for.  We only cruise once every couple of years, so I'm always hanging out here trying to keep up with all the changes - especially post-COVID.  I'm an OCD planner, so I am constantly building my own list of "things to know".    

I also recommend that you join the Meet and Mingle Roll Call for your specific cruise here on the boards after you book. It's a great way to get to know others on your sailing and you will find lots of helpful advice there, too. On our cruise, members were posting when they saw price drops on the cruise, excursions, drink and dining packages, etc. There will be many experienced Oasis cruisers there who can offer specific Oasis tips. One of the best tips I got was to book the Aqua Show as early in the week as possible. It can get cancelled if the weather gets too bad, so you have the best chance to get in on another show later in the week. Sure enough, our show got cancelled due to weather and we were able to go to the next night's show. We also did the Escape Room and it was a blast. We solved it with about 2 minutes left. It requires a reservation and there is an upcharge for it, although I can't remember how much it was. Maybe $15 - $20 per person? If you're thinking about doing the water park at Coco Cay, be aware that they enforce the 300 pound maximum weight limit with a discretely placed scale.

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Suggest you download the royal caribbean app to your cell phone.    You can browse current sailings to check out what they are offering for current entertainment, menus, etc.     

What other questions?

Might be a age thing but I downloaded the app to my tablet which I carry in a book bag onboard. My smart phone stays in my safe. I dont have to worry about airplane mode. 

OP you can sign into your sailing to get a boarding time right now 45 days out. Who knows by Thanksgiving 2023.

Thank you everyone for the help. I think I’m booking tomorrow. 

My daughter and son-in-law are interested in the balcony overlooking either Central Park or the Boardwalk. Does anyone have experience with this?

I am going to miss my Princess status but the furniture in the staterooms look much nicer. 

Edited by KBS1607

22 hours ago, KBS1607 said:

Thank you everyone for the help. I think I’m booking tomorrow. 

My daughter and son-in-law are interested in the balcony overlooking either Central Park or the Boardwalk. Does anyone have experience with this?

I am going to miss my Princess status but the furniture in the staterooms look much nicer. 

My daughters have been in a Boardwalk stateroom twice. As I recall, they are slightly smaller than an ocean view balcony stateroom. They liked being able to watch the Aqua show from their balcony. However, they didn't like the noise from the Boardwalk. They've decided not to do one again. I would imagine the Central Park staterooms are a bit quieter.

• Like 1

Thank you. There’s actually an article on here comparing them to each other and a regular balcony. As long as we can be across the hall from each other, they would have access to our ocean view balcony. I think I’m going to try to get the Central Park ones. 

• Like 1