Reimbursement of per diem from HAL after testing positive

Gray Lady

Just wondering if anyone has done this and I am curious how it works. We finished our quarantine and were told we would get a $100 per person per diem for food while we quarantined. All our paper said was that HAL would reimburse us once we finished our isolation period. Do they do this automatically? Do you get it with your refund for your hotel room? Do you contact them directly? Just wanted to learn from someone else who had done it so we know what to expect and do. Thank you! 

I tested positive for Covid on my last day of a Rotterdam Cruise in May 2022.   HAL placed me in isolation in a Rotterdam Netherlands hotel until I could be released to fly to the USA.   I was given a letter from HAL that sounds like what you quoted. I was also given an Out-of-Pocket Expense Guide by HAL and a Request form to be submitted to HAL to request reimbursement. HAL stated that they would reimburse me for my expenses that were not reimbursed by my travel insurance.   I have not requested anything from HAL because I have not I heard from my travel insurance.   I expect to hear from my travel insurance in a week or two.

@Gray Lady

Did they promise a flat $100 per person per day, or reimbursement up to $100 per person per day? From what I’ve previously read, it is based on actual expenses up to $100, and you will need to contact HAL about it.

Good luck!

Edited by syesmar

5 hours ago, syesmar said:

@Gray Lady

Did they promise a flat $100 per person per day, or reimbursement up to $100 per person per day? From what I’ve previously read, it is based on actual expenses up to $100, and you will need to contact HAL about it.

Good luck!

They said they would give us $100 per person per day with no receipts needed.

• Thanks 1

From https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/COVID-19-protection-program.html

Under “Shoreside”

2. Any shoreside meals will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by a letter provided onboard prior to disembarkation. (no receipt retention is required).

Edited by bbstx

20 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Just wondering if anyone has done this and I am curious how it works. We finished our quarantine and were told we would get a $100 per person per diem for food while we quarantined. All our paper said was that HAL would reimburse us once we finished our isolation period. Do they do this automatically? Do you get it with your refund for your hotel room? Do you contact them directly? Just wanted to learn from someone else who had done it so we know what to expect and do. Thank you! 

I tested Positive in Victoria CA the last day of our 24 day Panama Canal cruise.  I quarantined one day on ship and the was transfered to a hotel in Vancouver for a 10 day quarantine.  I recieved douments explaining the expense reimbursement.  It stated "Please be assured that during your isolation you are allowed a USD $100 per diam per person to cover meals, which we will reimburse once your isolation has ended"  I had to submit my actual expenses (less than the $100 allowed by HAL) to our travel insurance which was paid.  If they had been denied by my ins. then I could submit to HAL with the ins. denial letter, no receipts required to HAL.  I felt if I had to submit to HAL I would submit only my actual expenes NOT the $100 per diam.

Also, if quarantined on ship you will be reimbursed with Future Cruise Credits for each day based on your daily rate that would be issued within 2 weeks of recieving this letter.  Nothing came after 4 weeks.  So I called Ship Services and was on hold for close to 3 hrs.  Got a very nice HAL rep. who took my booking number and set up a file number for review.  Within 4 days I recieved notice that my one day reimbursement was added as a Future Cruise Credit on my HAL Mariner Account.

• Like 1

Same for me, had Flight Ease and called number on letter, waited close to 3 hrs on hold but didn't care since I was in quarantine.  Got ticket rebooked and even flew to airport closer than original flight for no additional cost.  Nice, saved a 4 hr round trip drive for DW to pick me up at the original airport.

Edited by rajkr74
  • Like 1

@Gray Lady -- Have you called Guest Services?  800-599-8256  -- call early, they open at 10:00 am.  I was on hold about 75 minutes and a file was started.  Our situation is a bit different but I still think they can help.  For us, not all the information was sent from the ship that was needed to complete the credit to FCC so they have to get back to us. 

11 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@Gray Lady -- Have you called Guest Services?  800-599-8256  -- call early, they open at 10:00 am.  I was on hold about 75 minutes and a file was started.  Our situation is a bit different but I still think they can help.  For us, not all the information was sent from the ship that was needed to complete the credit to FCC so they have to get back to us. 

I will have to do that. I am going to start submitting paperwork this next week for our trip insurance. My TA said he would walk us through it. I didn’t know if the trip insurance would pay us our per diem (without receipts as stated) or whether HAL will reimburse. We shouldn’t, hopefully, have FCC as we never made it to the ship, and our land tour was interrupted. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, Gray Lady said:

Hi Gray Lady, did you ever receive the $100/day meal reimbursement? My wife and I were quarantined for 10 days in Vancouver, starting Aug 28, 2022.  We received the same letter as you. I've emailed HAL twice, asking if I need to do anything to receive the reimbursement. There has been no reply.

Jon

I called HAL customer relations when the 8 week mark hit for reimbursement. I called on 3 different days and waited on hold for up to two hours. On the fourth day I got through! I gave them my information, and they were able to tell me that my claim had been approved, but it would take some time for them to send the money out. They owe us for meals and hotel. They were unable to tell me how much time it would take. I also asked about our shore excursions reimbursement, which should have been refunded to us a long time ago (we quarantined in June and are owed over $800 for excursions alone). The customer relations rep said she would email that department asking them to prioritize our refund. I will call shore excursions next week and try to light a fire under them. I will wait another week and call customer relations again to try and get them to hurry it up. We will not book another cruise until we get all this money back. It is not a good way to do business. We may need to try a different cruise line, too! I will let you know when we receive anything or have any new information.

• Like 1

We were quarantined for 5 days on the Rotterdam in September.  We also received the letter stating that we would receive an FCC equal to the per-day rate for the number of days we were isolated and it would be posted to our Mariner account within the next 2 weeks.  We disembarked on August 11th.  As of November 12th, it has not been posted.

I think I was pretty reasonable when I called Guest Relations and the Mariner Society twice in October and November.  Talk about a long wait on hold to speak to someone who could not tell me anything.

A few days ago I resorted to sending an email to Guest Relations and received a form letter that my request was going in the queue and it would take 6-8 weeks for a response.  That is when I blew my stack.  Not that it does any good!

I know Holland America reads Cruise Critic and they want past passengers to keep coming back.  We actually want to use our FCC for a cruise in February but final payment is due on booking and we want to use our FCC, so I am extremely frustrated.  Can't you tell?

If anyone has some suggestions on what worked for them, I would love to hear.

Maybe I should take a "chill pill"

Thanks for reading this!

Lauri

6 hours ago, Lauren Spray said:

We were quarantined for 5 days on the Rotterdam in September.  We also received the letter stating that we would receive an FCC equal to the per-day rate for the number of days we were isolated and it would be posted to our Mariner account within the next 2 weeks.  We disembarked on August 11th.  As of November 12th, it has not been posted.

I think I was pretty reasonable when I called Guest Relations and the Mariner Society twice in October and November.  Talk about a long wait on hold to speak to someone who could not tell me anything.

A few days ago I resorted to sending an email to Guest Relations and received a form letter that my request was going in the queue and it would take 6-8 weeks for a response.  That is when I blew my stack.  Not that it does any good!

I know Holland America reads Cruise Critic and they want past passengers to keep coming back.  We actually want to use our FCC for a cruise in February but final payment is due on booking and we want to use our FCC, so I am extremely frustrated.  Can't you tell?

If anyone has some suggestions on what worked for them, I would love to hear.

Maybe I should take a "chill pill"

Thanks for reading this!

Lauri

I share your frustration!

I was also quarantined on Rotterdam, in my case for the last 4 days of the cruise which ended on 25 Sep 22.  Still no sign of the promised FCC.  Nothing except the auto-response from Guest Relations when I tried to chase it up by e-mail.

The letter said the FCC must be used for a cruise within 12 months of my first day of isolation.  I'm already almost 8 weeks into that 12 months and the FCC still hasn't been issued.

15 hours ago, Euby said:

@Gray Lady Have you tried using the phrase, "Who should my attorney contact in order to get this expedited?"  Whether you use one or not, the mention of it can sometimes work wonders.

That is the phrase I used with AON to get our cruise money refunded. I was very nice, and the money came within 5 days. I will use it the next time I call. I always try it once without using it, then use it in the following call.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigrou said:

I share your frustration!

I was also quarantined on Rotterdam, in my case for the last 4 days of the cruise which ended on 25 Sep 22.  Still no sign of the promised FCC.  Nothing except the auto-response from Guest Relations when I tried to chase it up by e-mail.

The letter said the FCC must be used for a cruise within 12 months of my first day of isolation.  I'm already almost 8 weeks into that 12 months and the FCC still hasn't been issued.

Maybe if enough people complain, it will move the needle and we will see some results.

Thanks everyone for your responses

I was quarantined on the cruise I am still on. I got out on 10/30. I asked at guest services today about the procedure, and she said check my account at hollandamerica.com (not on Navigator, but on the web site). When I logged into my Mariner account there, under My Profile, then Future Cruise Credits, the appropriate FCC showed up. I have no idea how long it has been there. You might check there if you haven't.

• Like 1

I submitted my paperwork for Covid expense reimbursement and per diem in late June. HAL finally responded in early September saying that it had been approved and the check would be sent to me in 8-12 more weeks. Its now been 10 weeks from then, and 5 months since I submitted my paperwork and still no check. But they did post my FCC's 2 weeks ago, 4 1/2 months after my paperwork. 

24 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I was quarantined on the cruise I am still on. I got out on 10/30. I asked at guest services today about the procedure, and she said check my account at hollandamerica.com (not on Navigator, but on the web site). When I logged into my Mariner account there, under My Profile, then Future Cruise Credits, the appropriate FCC showed up. I have no idea how long it has been there. You might check there if you haven't.

Thank you; I have never seen future cruise credit (FCC) on the Navigator App, even though there is a place for it.

Our cruise ended on October 24th. My DW and I were quarantined in the room from October 18th through the end of the cruise. We do not have any FCC posted online in our account or in the Navigator.

I am pleased that yours has been applied to your Mariner number.

51 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Thank you; I have never seen future cruise credit (FCC) on the Navigator App, even though there is a place for it.

Our cruise ended on October 24th. My DW and I were quarantined in the room from October 18th through the end of the cruise. We do not have any FCC posted online in our account or in the Navigator.

I am pleased that yours has been applied to your Mariner number.

I was told it would not be on the Navigator app, but on the hollandamerica.com website on the computer. Good luck!