Coverage for canceled/delayed flight causing missed cruise

ssbeard1

I’m looking for an insurance policy that will reimburse for cruise if for some reason our flight is canceled or delayed and we miss our cruise.    I’ve read several policies fine print and they talk about trip interruption, but don’t really answer that question.   Was hoping someone on here had that specific experience.  I’m needing to buy insurance for 8 of us.   With all this crazy airline stuff, I hate to miss the ship  and be out that much money.   

To get into specific question such as this, my recommendation would be to reach out to a broker who specializes in selling travel insurance.

I've had very good luck using www.tripInsuranceStore.com

Steve has been in the business for multiple years and has a vast amount of knowledge. He has a library of 9 or 10 policies that he sells from various providers. I'm sure he can match you up with 1 that fits your needs.

You can either try his website or call at 888-407-3854

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

To get into specific question such as this, my recommendation would be to reach out to a broker who specializes in selling travel insurance.

I've had very good luck using www.tripInsuranceStore.com

Steve has been in the business for multiple years and has a vast amount of knowledge. He has a library of 9 or 10 policies that he sells from various providers. I'm sure he can match you up with 1 that fits your needs.

You can either try his website or call at 888-407-3854

We are also satisfied customers of TIS, and that includes having purchased quite a few policies... and having several claims, including some large ones.  All were paid without nonsense.  (And Steve can help with claims if needed.  We asked for some guidance the first time.)

I strongly encourage you to CALL and not rely upon the website alone.  That is great for an overview, but there's no way those policy summaries can include "all the fine print", etc.

Also, with 8 people in your group, there are probably different addresses and perhaps states.  So let TIS help you coordinate so you all have the coverages you need (it's regulated by the states).

GC

• Like 1

Thanks.   Our group of eight is us, kids with spouses and grands.   I’m paying for all and we live in the same city.    I will call.  Thanks for recommendation!    Ive only purchased travel insurance once before, but as we’ve gotten older and the uncertainty in travel it’s something I’m concerned about.  

To get the best choice of coverage types, you should start the insurance within 10-20 days of making the first payment (such as the deposit, refundable or not).  The timing depends upon state of residence.

If you've missed that, there are still many good policies.

GC

We can say it until we are blue...."read the policy" before you purchase.  Also beware that most trip policies that have coverage for missed cruises (due to late or cancelled air) have specific rules regarding the timing of such flights.  So, for example, you might find language that says they will only give you coverage if the flight was scheduled to arrive at least 6 hours before embarkation.  

Just a personal piece of advice.  While insurance can be a good option it is not free and good insurance can be quite expensive.  In some cases, you might consider spending the money on an earlier arrival (I am talking about days) rather than on cancellation insurance.  So, for example, we have an upcoming cruise (October) out of Miami and had purchased non-stop Southwest air flying in the day before the cruise.  Two days ago, we decided to change our air (this actually saved us $150) to flying-in on the earliest flight 2 days prior to the cruise and giving ourselves a nice couple of days at a Miami resort.  The cost of that extra day is actually about the same price as buying decent trip insurance :).

So, you might ask, "do you buy trip insurance?"  And our answer would be no because we do have an annual travel medical policy (that provides $100,000 of worldwide medical coverage) and a high-end credit card that provides us up to $20,000 of trip cancellation/interruption insurance.  While I do not consider that credit card coverage as good as some decent trip policies, the money we save by NOT buying trip insurance for each of our trips does help subsidize longer and more trips.   What we do is not for everyone (especially those with a low risk tolerance) but it is a viable option that works for us.  Each traveler needs to carefully look at their own situation and risk tolerance and buy (or do not buy) what best fits their individual needs/wants.

Hank

Hank

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately with a school teacher, students and a blue collar worker in our party - we don’t have the luxury of leaving days early, even a day early unfortunately.     The initial flight was scheduled to arrive 8 hrs prior to departure, but they canceled.   Have yet to book replacement.      

Travel insurance is important.    Several years ago on a cruise with my father he became deathly ill, spent 3 days in ship hospital ($30,000) transferred off, med flighted from Juneau to anchorage ($85,000), etc, where he subsequently passed away.   Cruise insurance company (I believe allianze) was excellent.    They quickly paid the embalming fee and the cost of the charge to fly him home.    They also settled all charges that were not covered by his health insurance 

• Like 1

If covered, it probably comes under Missed Connection; but there will be stipulations such as how many hours you were delayed and the cause, such as weather or mechanical problems. That may trigger other provisions which will combine to settle the claim.

Those details will be in the policy. Rather than trying to sort through multiple policies on your own with only hope that you get it right, follow the advice here: call the professionals and explain what you are looking for. Let them help you find the right coverage. Many here rely on Trip Insurance Store.

Edited by Babr
  • Thanks 1

Very curious what you can find here. I recently had a flight delayed for 19 hours that was supposed to arrive 20 hours before cruise departure, and I found out I would NOT have been covered for the missed cruise. But they might have paid for me to fly and catch up with the cruise in Bermuda.

However,  my Chase Reserve card included insurance would have covered the missed cruise (but not the flights to catch up).

As it was, I made the ship with less than 2 hours to departure but they still let me on. 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:25 PM, aloha_DC said:

Very curious what you can find here. I recently had a flight delayed for 19 hours that was supposed to arrive 20 hours before cruise departure, and I found out I would NOT have been covered for the missed cruise. But they might have paid for me to fly and catch up with the cruise in Bermuda.

However,  my Chase Reserve card included insurance would have covered the missed cruise (but not the flights to catch up).

As it was, I made the ship with less than 2 hours to departure but they still let me on. 

I was just reading the Chase coverage for Trip Interruption and the language is quite enlightening.  If I read it correctly (and I could be wrong) the Chase interruption provisions would have covered you if your flight was delayed by weather or a strike,  But if the flight was delayed for other reasons, such as crew shortages, it appears that Chase would not cover.   These days that exclusion is huge!

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I was just reading the Chase coverage for Trip Interruption and the language is quite enlightening.  If I read it correctly (and I could be wrong) the Chase interruption provisions would have covered you if your flight was delayed by weather or a strike,  But if the flight was delayed for other reasons, such as crew shortages, it appears that Chase would not cover.   These days that exclusion is huge!

Hank

Lol.  I'm glad I didn't need to claim then as the official reason we were delayed was cause the crew timed out but they timed out *because * of the weather 🤦‍♀️