Meal times

kjbacon

42 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

I appreciate that, thank you and I ask in earnest to please help me understand that appeal. We are really struggling to see it.

Ok.  I'll try.  One of the features of Seabourn cruises that we especially like is the fact that they are virtually all inclusive.  What does that mean exactly?  It means that there  will be no nickel and diming while you are onboard.  There is no extra charge for special restaurants,  alcohol (wine, beer, and mixed drinks)are included.  All coffee and coffee drinks, ice cream, etc. etc. is included.  Afternoon tea is included.  You get the idea.  Another aspect of Seabourn cruises we like is that all passengers are treated equally.  There are no levels of service for those who pay more.  While there are larger suites which may have more amenities--when out and about on the ship--everyone is treated equally.  The staff is likely to know your name--even though you are not wearing a name tag around your neck.  I've had this happen to me so many times.  One time, a cook came out of the kitchen and called me by name, saying "I hope you are having a good morning Mrs. D."  I like the fact that the ships are small--which means fewer passengers.  There is no standing in line for anything.  Oh--you might stand in a line to board a tender now and again--but that is just part of boarding a boat.  

I like the special events that just pop on onboard.  Sometimes it's champagne and caviar at the bow of the ship.  At other times, it is hot chocolate for everyone--or a special French theme for afternoon tea--or a chocolate theme.  

On a Seabourn ship, the Cruise Director sets the tone for a voyage and SB has some very fine Cruise Directors.  I've had a Cruise Director come rushing over with a blanket when we were at a deck party when he thought I might be cold.  On a number of our voyages, the Cruise Director has been so memorable that we still talk about them at home.  

Now this is a bit controversial, but I like the fact that passengers on SB ships generally dress nicely--as if they are at a country club.  You  usually don't see people sloppily dressed or dressed in tasteless/revealing outfits.  You don't see very many people overindulging in alcohol to the point of being obnoxious.  In fact, I have not personally ever seen that on a SB cruise.  The clientele is well educated, erudite and interesting to meet.  You can count on 99% of them to behave well and be polite. 

The food is very good.  Like you, I don't go on a cruise for the food.  There are various venues to suit most everyone onboard.  While we don't do the breakfast buffet, I am familiar with what it has to offer--and the choices are extensive.  And, since reopening post pandemic, there is a new breakfast venue on the pool deck which I have read is very popular.  We generally have breakfast in our suite when we are leaving the ship for an early excursion and room service is always on time.  There are plenty of offerings on the room service menu for breakfast and we order the night before, marking a card and leaving it on our door.  We have also enjoyed breakfast in the MDR upon occasion and I've really enjoyed that serene atmosphere early in the morning.  I've even gone to the Observation Lounge super early for hot tea and a pastry.  You call them junk--I would not call them healthy eating---but they are quite tasty.  Encore and Ovation both have a Sushi restaurant which is popular with many. There is the venue called Earth and Ocean around the pool in the evenings.  Fabulous food there! And, it is very casual.   Many people like the TK Grill--which is a typical upscale American style steakhouse with entrees in addition to steak (the Dover sole being my favorite there).  We especially like the TK Grill Bar on Encore and Ovation.  Many days we enjoy lunch around the pool with the Napa Burger being a favorite.  We also like ordering from a (short) menu at the Colonnade for lunch, especially out on the veranda.(There is an extensive buffet at lunch in the Colonnade).   We have found the menu in the MDR in the evenings to be elegant and usually quite good. 

I could say a lot more about why we enjoy Seabourn, but perhaps someone else will chime in.  I think you can get some idea from what I have written.  We were reluctant cruisers when we took our first cruise at the behest of some friends.  I feared that all cruises had an Animal House type atmosphere with drunken partiers.  You can imagine how happy we were to find that Seabourn cruises are elegant, genteel, serene, and fun.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Kjbacon,  My husband and I also enjoy the lectures onboard Seabourn cruises.  We have heard some excellent presentations on all kinds of topics.  It is also fun to meet the lecturers--perhaps have lunch or dinner with them, or talk to them on an excursion.  On one cruise, there were a number former diplomats from the UK.  On another cruise, some experts who had worked in the space exploration program (NASA) and some experts on Alaska history and wildlife.  

The suites are well appointed and spacious--all of them.  On Encore and Ovation, all suites have verandas. The beds are very comfortable and there are plenty of pillows.  The closets are walk in closets and are spacious.  There are two sinks in the bathrooms and most have both a bathtub and a separate shower.  

All the staff is very cheerful and helpful.  We have always enjoyed meeting them and hearing stories from their home countries.  

Embarkation is generally well organized and the fun immediately begins.  We have enjoyed a wide variety of excursions from Seabourn ships.  I can't think of any of them that we did not enjoy.  We do choose carefully according to what we are interested in.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, margbem said:

On our recent (May) cruise on the Quest I seem to remember that the restaurant was not open for breakfast or lunch on any of the 14 days we sailed. The Colonnade opened at 7.30am apart from disembarkation day when it was earlier.  I may have remembered wrongly about the restaurant but no doubt someone will correct me if that is the case!

If your cruise was in the Med, what you report is the same as our last Med cruise which was in 2017. Restaurant was only open for dinner.

45 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

If your cruise was in the Med, what you report is the same as our last Med cruise which was in 2017. Restaurant was only open for dinner.

It was classed as the Med - Ravenna to Ravenna so technically the Adriatic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Ok.  I'll try.  One of the features of Seabourn cruises that we especially like is the fact that they are virtually all inclusive.  What does that mean exactly?  It means that there  will be no nickel and diming while you are onboard.  There is no extra charge for special restaurants,  alcohol (wine, beer, and mixed drinks)are included.  All coffee and coffee drinks, ice cream, etc. etc. is included.  Afternoon tea is included.  You get the idea.  Another aspect of Seabourn cruises we like is that all passengers are treated equally.  There are no levels of service for those who pay more.  While there are larger suites which may have more amenities--when out and about on the ship--everyone is treated equally.  The staff is likely to know your name--even though you are not wearing a name tag around your neck.  I've had this happen to me so many times.  One time, a cook came out of the kitchen and called me by name, saying "I hope you are having a good morning Mrs. D."  I like the fact that the ships are small--which means fewer passengers.  There is no standing in line for anything.  Oh--you might stand in a line to board a tender now and again--but that is just part of boarding a boat.  

I like the special events that just pop on onboard.  Sometimes it's champagne and caviar at the bow of the ship.  At other times, it is hot chocolate for everyone--or a special French theme for afternoon tea--or a chocolate theme.  

On a Seabourn ship, the Cruise Director sets the tone for a voyage and SB has some very fine Cruise Directors.  I've had a Cruise Director come rushing over with a blanket when we were at a deck party when he thought I might be cold.  On a number of our voyages, the Cruise Director has been so memorable that we still talk about them at home.  

Now this is a bit controversial, but I like the fact that passengers on SB ships generally dress nicely--as if they are at a country club.  You  usually don't see people sloppily dressed or dressed in tasteless/revealing outfits.  You don't see very many people overindulging in alcohol to the point of being obnoxious.  In fact, I have not personally ever seen that on a SB cruise.  The clientele is well educated, erudite and interesting to meet.  You can count on 99% of them to behave well and be polite. 

The food is very good.  Like you, I don't go on a cruise for the food.  There are various venues to suit most everyone onboard.  While we don't do the breakfast buffet, I am familiar with what it has to offer--and the choices are extensive.  And, since reopening post pandemic, there is a new breakfast venue on the pool deck which I have read is very popular.  We generally have breakfast in our suite when we are leaving the ship for an early excursion and room service is always on time.  There are plenty of offerings on the room service menu for breakfast and we order the night before, marking a card and leaving it on our door.  We have also enjoyed breakfast in the MDR upon occasion and I've really enjoyed that serene atmosphere early in the morning.  I've even gone to the Observation Lounge super early for hot tea and a pastry.  You call them junk--I would not call them healthy eating---but they are quite tasty.  Encore and Ovation both have a Sushi restaurant which is popular with many. There is the venue called Earth and Ocean around the pool in the evenings.  Fabulous food there! And, it is very casual.   Many people like the TK Grill--which is a typical upscale American style steakhouse with entrees in addition to steak (the Dover sole being my favorite there).  We especially like the TK Grill Bar on Encore and Ovation.  Many days we enjoy lunch around the pool with the Napa Burger being a favorite.  We also like ordering from a (short) menu at the Colonnade for lunch, especially out on the veranda.(There is an extensive buffet at lunch in the Colonnade).   We have found the menu in the MDR in the evenings to be elegant and usually quite good. 

I could say a lot more about why we enjoy Seabourn, but perhaps someone else will chime in.  I think you can get some idea from what I have written.  We were reluctant cruisers when we took our first cruise at the behest of some friends.  I feared that all cruises had an Animal House type atmosphere with drunken partiers.  You can imagine how happy we were to find that Seabourn cruises are elegant, genteel, serene, and fun.  

Now that the discussion has expanded beyond meal times, I have a few questions.  I will be taking my first Seabourn cruise in September.

Do the sushi restaurant and Earth and Ocean take reservations, or are they first come first served?  Does the Earth and Ocean menu change?  If so, are the daily menus published in advance (as well as for the Restaurant)?

Have you eaten at the sushi restaurant for dinner?  Can you just order whatever sushi you want, or is it a set menu?

KJBacon

We are also early risers and my husband does not like room service.  We will also be on the same cruise as you for the last 24 days (I've read your posts previously).  I think part of what you pay for on a luxury cruise is to have things the way you want them!  You do need to understand that the Quest is a much smaller ship than  Regent (except for the Navigator )or Oceania ships and will have fewer options in some areas. 

I would suggest that you go to Seabourn Square after you board and explore the possibility of having room service serve you breakfast at a different location on the ship if you want to be out and about.  I know they do this all the time in the afternoon/evening with canapes and caviar so it might be a possibility.  I don't think the pool deck would be a good because they are cleaning it at 6 am and this also might be an issue with other public areas.  You might think about the aft deck behind Seabourn Square.  Being outside might be an issue on the middle part of our cruise but it certainly will be light enough.  They might also have other suggestions.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

I appreciate that, thank you and I ask in earnest to please help me understand that appeal. We are really struggling to see it.

For me and my  husband, the appeal is the pampering.  If you ask for something, the crew will attempt to make it happen if at all possible.  Staff learn your names and preferences within a day or two of being on the ship.  The rooms and beds are very comfortable.  Food is very good.   I guess I am wondering what matters most to you in selecting a cruise line?  You said food isn't what drives your decision, but seem unusually bothered that dinner isn't served before 7.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Unfortunately, I am hard pressed to see the appeal to SB at this point. We are still looking forward to our cruise and we will have our usual terrific time.

Just read on a different thread that cruise critic was banned on the poster’s recent cruise! That says it all.

While we love Regent and Oceania, we’ve been on many different lines and I’ve never seen breakfast unavailable before 8am and dinner at 7pm. And a pastry in the bar at 6am is a junk food snack, not breakfast.

Earlier in this thread someone said that one has to adapt and change to make do on a SB cruise but we have not had to make do on other luxury lines.

There was ONE poster who said Cruise Critic was banned! I was on Odyssey for 33 days April/May, and Cruise Critic was alive and well. Sounds like you were searching for that one poster to offer your criticism. We can always find internet substantiation for our views. "THAT says it all". Sorry if that seems harsh, but...

• Like 2

kjbacon,

KJBACON

SLSD covered a lot above, I’ll try not to repeat. 

After trying Windstar, HAL, Oceania, Seabourn and Regent, we have settled on Regent (9 cruises with one booked) and Seabourn (4 cruises with one booked).

I believe you have done numerous Regent cruises. 
To us the lines are similar in far more ways than they are different. We find the clientele to be very similar; interesting, intelligent, well off but not snooty and full of themselves. We have always made good friends, some that we are still in contact with, on these cruises. Regent is a bit more all-inclusive, particularly the shore excursions, which could be a plus or minus depending on your view or the itinerary. The service and food/beverage quality are pretty equal in our minds. Regent may have more specialty restaurants on some of their ships, but Seabourn ships are smaller, except for the Navigator, and we really like that. Many like the Navigator, it is not our favorite. The standard veranda cabins are, in our minds, similar. We really like the decor and decorations on the Seabourn ships, very classy and understated. We were not thrilled by the Explorer decor, too dark and a bit over the top. We enjoy the Seabourn Square. 
I could go on, but you get the idea. Personal likes and dislikes are just that, personal. Will you like Seabourn, only time will tell. I’d be interested in your thoughts during and after your cruise. 

One last ask of you and all the other “early risers”. Please open and close your cabin doors quietly and please keep your voices down in the hallways. Those of us that sleep until 7 or, horrors, 8 will really appreciate it. Happy cruising!

• Thanks 1

Here is a suggestion that usually works: Put a short and polite handwritten note in the mail slot of suites immediately near yours saying "Please close your door gently and slowly". That should make a difference. 

Once a young lady responded to me directly, "if they wanted them to close quietly they would have put better mechanisms on them".

I am still wondering what she meant by "they" since it was her cabin and she was the one letting the door slam. But the note served to change things for the better anyway no matter what she meant...

Happy and health sailing!

We are always very quiet and respectful of others in the early hours. It would be a better mindset for everyone on both time ends to be courteous enough to be quiet in the hallways and with their doors. We are often awakened by neighbors after the late show and their nightcap. I’m not sure why people think it’s ok to be noisy late at night but that it’s not ok early in the morning.

Regent is a better fit for us. It actually is all inclusive and offers much more for us than SB. We also love Oceania, especially when we are looking for a more food oriented cruise. Their wine pairing dinners are fabulous. And both lines are a much better value. Still, everyone should find their own happy place to sail and let others do the same.

Probably, I will blog from my cruise and post lots of pictures as I usually do and we will take it from there. Best to all and happy cruising!!

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:10 AM, SLSD said:

I haven't experienced the early dining on Holland America or Princess.  When do they start? 5pm?

The dining room opened at 5:15 PM during our 2018 Holland America cruise. I saw guests lined up fifteen minutes before that. A recent photo of a Holland America daily program showed the dining room open from 5:30 PM to 9:30. Specialty restaurants Canaletto, Tamarind and Nami Sushi were 5:00 - 9:30; Rudi's 5:30 - 9:30.

Breakfast in the dining room from 7:30 - 9:00, Lido (buffet) 6:30 - 10:00. I assume that dining hours can vary ship to ship and day to day.

4 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Regent is a better fit for us. It actually is all inclusive and offers much more for us than SB. We also love Oceania, especially when we are looking for a more food oriented cruise. Their wine pairing dinners are fabulous. And both lines are a much better value. Still, everyone should find their own happy place to sail and let others do the same.

kjbacon,  I have just a few more things to say.  I KNOW that for some of us, trying a new cruise line is difficult.  We wonder--will we like it?  Will we hate it?  Will we regret booking it?  And WHY didn't we stick with the tried and true.  Some years ago, we booked a Seabourn cruise at pretty much the last minute.  We had only cruised on Silversea before that, but SS did not have the itinerary we wanted to sail.   I had found Cruise Critic and started reading reviews about the ship we were going to sail on with Seabourn (Encore).  The reviews were TERRIBLE!  I just knew we had made a huge mistake in booking with Seabourn.  I had to psyche myself up--up until the day of embarkation--to try to be in the moment and enjoy the cruise--even if the experience was not going to measure up to what we had experienced before.  Lo and behold, we loved Encore and had a wonderful time.  It was a new and different experience.  Was it just like Silversea?  No. it was different--but in a good way.  We found that we liked it BETTER than Silversea and so far, have not returned to that cruise line.  Quite frankly, negative reviews on Cruise Critic are plentiful AND they get more attention than the good reviews.  Life is just like that.  I've read plenty of reviews of Regent which have not been complimentary--and quite a number that have been.  There are some people who actually prefer Seabourn to Regent.  Imagine that!  Who knows what you will think of the SB ship you are going to sail on. (Which one is it by the way---Quest?)  I think the best thing to do is to go with an open mind and to try not to compare it to other cruise lines (because it is NOT those cruilselines).  Hopefully, on YOUR cruise, staffing issues will have been ironed out and the service will be back to being great.  Try to look at the overall experience and not let one aspect sour either your anticipation of a wonderful vacation or your experience once you embark.  In the meantime, happy sailing and I truly hope you have a wonderful time.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Also everyone’s view is always very subjective. We really enjoyed our recent Quest cruise, so much so that even though we had a Seabourn booked for  September ‘23 we booked a Caribbean cruise for February ‘23. However someone on the exact same cruise as us was bitterly disappointed. I was very disappointed for them that they hadn’t had a good time like we did.

I had a long chat with a couple who, like us, have sailed Seabourn since 2009 and we found many little things we could comment on that have changed over those 13 years, and maybe not for the better, just being different really. There was a lot of “do you remember on the little sisters…..?” 

A few years ago we went on a Uniworld river cruise. We had to stop ourselves saying “they wouldn’t do it like this on Seabourn “ or “this wouldn’t happen on Seabourn “. It was just different and not what we were used to. 

Go and have a marvellous time and if something isn’t quite right mention it to someone at Seabourn Square or to the Maitre d’ and I am sure that they will do their best to make things right.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, margbem said:

Also everyone’s view is always very subjective. We really enjoyed our recent Quest cruise, so much so that even though we had a Seabourn booked for  September ‘23 we booked a Caribbean cruise for February ‘23. However someone on the exact same cruise as us was bitterly disappointed. I was very disappointed for them that they hadn’t had a good time like we did.

This is something I have learned from reading this board.  We don't all have the same views--or likes and dislikes.  A case in point is the chicken served in the TK Grill.  Mr. SLSD and I found it to be inedible because for us, it was excessively salty.  For others, it was just right and they loved it.  Some people absolutely hate adhering to any kind of dress code, while we find having a certain amount of "dressiness" all around enhances our enjoyment of the cruise.  Some people don't even like the Napa burger, while we like it so much we have to limit the number of times we can allow ourselves to order it.  Some people avoid ship excursions as if they are the plague, while we have found them most enjoyable as long as we choose carefully.  We have been on some excursions that we absolutely loved, while people on the same excursion with us hated the whole experience.  This is why I read all comments with a grain of salt.  

• Like 5

On 7/5/2022 at 6:21 PM, Mahogany said:

There was ONE poster who said Cruise Critic was banned! I was on Odyssey for 33 days April/May, and Cruise Critic was alive and well. Sounds like you were searching for that one poster to offer your criticism. We can always find internet substantiation for our views. "THAT says it all". Sorry if that seems harsh, but...

I'm the ONE who reported that Cruise Critic was off line for my Odyssey Panama Canal cruise.  As a 20 year " cheerleader " for SB, I felt it was important that people get my honest opinion.  Good or BAD.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Host Dan said:

I'm the ONE who reported that Cruise Critic was off line for my Odyssey Panama Canal cruise.  As a 20 year " cheerleader " for SB, I felt it was important that people get my honest opinion.  Good or BAD.

Host Dan, do you know why it was available to me?

29 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Host Dan, do you know why it was available to me?

I have no idea.  The website itself was online, you just couldn't post.  This was towards the end of the cruise that I confirmed that CC was not available.

2 hours ago, Host Dan said:

I have no idea.  The website itself was online, you just couldn't post.  This was towards the end of the cruise that I confirmed that CC was not available.

And I chimed in and said that after posting all through one of our cruises, it suddenly became unavailable while onboard---and curiously after my husband told an interim/fill in CD that I had been posting (which I would not have done).  There WAS a work around and I did manage to keep posting.  

On 7/6/2022 at 2:20 AM, kjbacon said:

Probably, I will blog from my cruise and post lots of pictures as I usually do and we will take it from there. Best to all and happy cruising!!

Nice to see you here since my cruise buddy is considering a Seabourn cruise next year. Better single supplement for her.

Looking forward to a comparison from you. Couldn't find a Regent / Seabourn comparison thread on either forum.

I would be encouraged by the "what I like about Seabourn" responses since these are the things that I like on Regent too.

Martha

Another question about meal times ...

We have an Alaskan cruise booked and some of the excursions start at stupid-o' lock ...before the resteraunts are normally open? Other than room service would I be correct in thinking that it would be Seabourn square for a coffee?

It also seems as if they return outside of normal opening hours? Presumably the same again?

This of course is working on the assumption that SB do not lay on anything to accommodate these early starts.

3 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Nice to see you here since my cruise buddy is considering a Seabourn cruise next year. Better single supplement for her.

Looking forward to a comparison from you. Couldn't find a Regent / Seabourn comparison thread on either forum.

I would be encouraged by the "what I like about Seabourn" responses since these are the things that I like on Regent too.

Martha

Thanks, Martha and you’re not wrong about the Regent single supplement, it’s way too high! I am encouraged by these posts and I’m sure that we will have a fabulous time. There’s no question heading into it that Regent is a far better fit for us but I have every intention of trying my best to work within their perimeters and I will be very fair in my blog. I am also concerned along with the above poster, MBP, about getting a decent breakfast before our early excursions. Regent always opens La Veranda early enough to accommodate so we will see. Just learned yesterday that there’s a 3 day cancellation policy on the shorex so that’s one more thing Regent has all over SB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Just learned yesterday that there’s a 3 day cancellation policy on the shorex so that’s one more thing Regent has all over SB.

I found that not to be true.  On a recent 2 week cruise I accidentally booked the same tour to Ephesus, from two different ports.  It wasn’t until the day before the second tour, when watching the port notes on the TV that I realized my mistake.  I went to guest services and they forwarded my request for a refund to the excursions group and I saw a credit in my portfolio within 24 hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Another question about meal times ...

We have an Alaskan cruise booked and some of the excursions start at stupid-o' lock ...before the resteraunts are normally open? Other than room service would I be correct in thinking that it would be Seabourn square for a coffee?

It also seems as if they return outside of normal opening hours? Presumably the same again?

This of course is working on the assumption that SB do not lay on anything to accommodate these early starts.

I have no idea about current scheduling but certainly when we did our kayaking in 2017 at "stupid o'clock as you call it" we were able to get breakfast prior to the excursion both from room service and either Seabourn Square or Colonnade, I can't remember which.

• Like 1