Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklodi

Carnival Pride - May 9th, 2004 - Review, Pt 3 (LONG)

“Embarkation Day – Part Oneâ€

…When we last left our intrepid travelers, they had just gone to bed aboard the haunted Queen Mary….

And woke up with nary a peep or boo or disembodied head of Dr. Phil floating above our bed. icon_biggrin.gif

The anticipation made it a very sleepless night. I got up at 5:30am, took a shower and headed up to the rear deck of the Queen Mary to see if I could see the Pride coming in. Down below, several semis were pulling into place behind the huge domed terminal, backing up against the loading dock. A few forklifts started scurrying around, moving trains of empty luggage containers out toward the harbor.

After about 10 minutes, off in the distance, I saw a ship a-sailin’. Soon her signature red-winged funnel became apparent and in she came, slow and sure. Just prior to the dock, she came to a stop and started spinning around, placing her starboard side parallel to the berth and Captain Galotto eased her against the pier. The elevated gangway extended after a few minutes and I finally caught my breath.

To wax poetic: My ship had come in. icon_smile.gif

I returned to our room, where Mona had been getting ready. We walked back up on deck so she could see the Pride in all her glory. She was very impressive, and the few forklifts had turned into a veritable hornet’s nest of activity. We watched as two specially-designed forklifts with these huge yellow baskets lowered and raised items to and from the Pride’s cargo holds. They’re actually located one deck below the pier, and everything – I mean everything has to be brought up and down via these baskets. Quite a sight to see. We returned one final time to our room to collect our luggage, checked out of the Queen Mary at 8am and walked toward the parking garage at the terminal.

Now here’s where we get into the nitty-gritty details of the layout and early check-in process. So bear with me as I do my best to spell it all out. Do note that I have pictures of most of these areas, and will be posting these to WebShots soon.

First, everything begins at the Parking Garage. If you’re staying on the Queen Mary, this fact doesn’t change, although you can delay it (early check-in, then take over your luggage.) Somehow, you have to get your luggage over there to the luggage check-in station, which is located on the bottom level of the parking garage in the corner nearest to the terminal. You have several options at this point.

You can:

a. If staying on the QM, leave your luggage in your room, walk to early check-in at 9am, then go back to your room and either walk your luggage over to the parking garage, or have the bellmen assist you in taking your luggage over to the garage. Note that this shuttle service does not begin until 10am, and according to the bell desk, is available only for those who stayed on the Queen Mary the previous night. How religiously they adhere to this is unknown, as I’m sure a well-placed tip would alleviate this requirement. Then proceed from there.

b. If driving in your own car or via a shuttle/cab/bus/etc, arrive at the Parking Garage, wait for the porter check-in station to open about 8:30am, then walk over to the early check-in, etc.

Or you could do what we did. First, please understand that I am notoriously early for everything. If there is a line, odds are I’m either the first one in it or at least in the top 10. That’s just me. Call it a quirk, fault, or annoying habit. Regardless, that’s just me. It does pay off, and it’s that method I will describe here because, well, this is what we did.

As I said, at 8am we checked out of the Queen Mary, all of our luggage in tow. We had seven pieces: two large rolling suitcases, one small check-in roller, one garment bag, one small tote, one large duffel bag, and my portfolio bag with all our documents, money, etc. All the rollers have straps with clips, and all the luggage was tied on the rollers. A little cumbersome, but effective. We took the elevators down to the bottom level and proceeded across the parking lot of the Queen Mary. Why across the parking lot? Well, thanks to construction barriers, you cannot get luggage over to the Early Check-In counter of the Queen Mary from the Hotel Section. You would have to climb stairs, then go across an elevated walkway outside the ship, then down another section of stairs just to get to the front of the QM where Early Check-In is at. There are escalators, but they are not turned on this early. So the only option is across the parking lot.

When exiting the hotel, aim yourself towards two large red London-style phone booths on the other side of the parking garage. There is a walkway here that goes through some buildings at the little shopping village they have there. You have to cross one street and bingo, you’re right there at the parking garage. It’s about a 5 minute walk, pulling luggage and a yawning wife. With check out and everything, we got to the garage about 8:15am. Already a few people were coming off of the ship, but we were first at the garage for those embarking. A guard showed us where the porters would be.

We had our gray tags filled out and on our luggage, but knew what cabins we were in as Carnival had upgraded us as a result of a price change from a BL Balcony Guarantee to an assigned room in a category 8H cabin, #8105, 2nd cabin from the front on the Panorama Deck, Starboard side. After about 10 minutes, there were about 10 people behind us in line, and almost all of them also had gray TBA tags. Soon a porter arrived and said he didn’t have a manifest yet. I said we knew our cabin number and gave it to him. He said, “Oh. No problem. Gold tags – Panorama Forward.†He reached into a nearby podium, pulled out about 6 tags, scrawled 8105 on them and said, “Leave your gray tags on there, just attach these behind them.†We checked the two large suitcases and the garment bags (all too big for carry on, by design) and tipped the porter $10. He thanked us and put our luggage on his cart. Everyone else with TBA tags had to wait for the manifest to be delivered, so we proceeded on our way.

When you leave the parking garage, head directly toward the large dome cruise terminal, proceeding under some large metal canopies that head straight for the terminal, then curve to the right slightly towards a set of doors (the awnings look like a large upside down “Lâ€) Make a note of those doors, as that is where all lines will form heading into the terminal later on.

But for right now, we headed to the left of the terminal and proceeded past several vendors setting up their booths. They were selling sunglasses, purses, beef jerky and Super Pretzels . We continued past them until we saw the signs pointing toward the Queen Mary, clearly proclaiming “Early Cruise Check-In†with arrows pointing the way. Of course, we were the only ones outside this section of the ship. You cross over a walkway into the ship itself. This is where the main gallery of Queen Mary artifacts are, as well as the theater I mentioned in Part 2 from the day before. Several tour guides from the QM opened the doors and in we strolled. Once inside these doors, you stay to the left and will come to another set of glass doors and windows. Beyond this is the Early Check-In stations for Carnival. Waiting at these doors was a Carnival employee putting together some embarkation information sheets (which I will be scanning and posting soon on WebShots. Stay tuned.)

At 9am, the doors to the Early Check-In room were opened and we excitedly walked in. We presented our cruise documents to the attendant. Please note that you SHOULD complete your Fun Pass information ahead of time. This will speed things up tremendously. If possible, complete this info as soon as you book your cruise. That way, when your cruise docs show up, there will be a page inside that says “Funpass Status Informationâ€, then the name of the ship, the sailing date and booking number, stateroom number (if applicable; if a guarantee this will be blank), and then the Guest Names. Next to each name will be a column titled FunPass Status. It will say COMPLETE. (Check my WebShots gallery for a scan of ours showing this.)

I also recommend that you fill out your Sail & Sign sheet prior to arriving. Write in all the info requested, and sign it. The attendant will need to see these docs, your proof of identity (in our case our passports, but an original birth certificate and picture ID would also work), and the credit card or debit card you plan on using for the Sail & Sign charges.

A quick note about this as well. We decided upon using a debit card, as we do not have (or want) credit cards, nor did we want to use cash. We heard about several bad experiences about using debit cards, so here is what I did. I called our bank (Bank of America) about 5 days before the cruise. I told customer service that we would be cruising and would be out of the country. They did two things for us. First, they made a notation of the trip, so that any large purchases or charges out of the country would be permitted. Second, they made a change to the account stating that ALL holds on the debit card during this period would be released the night that they were made.

See, Carnival will verify the available amount on your card by placing a “hold†on it. If you are using a debit card, this locks up those funds until the hold is released. For example, if you have $1000 in your account, and a hold for $900 is placed, you will only have $100 available for other purchases or holds until that hold is released. This can cause problems, including over drafts and associated fees.

So BofA made a change to automatically release these holds every night, prior to charges being posted, so that no overdrafts could occur. And the notation clearly stated that should a hold not release, we would not be charged any overdrafts as a result, as long as the funds were really there. I’m happy to report that this worked out PERFECTLY and our account was never even close to having a problem. The couple of times I checked via the Internet on board, our account showed the holds, but the available balance was still the full amount in our account. I highly, HIGHLY recommend taking the time to inform your bank and/or credit card company of what your vacation plans are. They will accommodate you and protect you from any unforeseen occurrences and nasty fees associated with them.

Okay, back to the check-in process. Once they verify your card is valid, they go and get your sail & sign cards, which are in little envelopes on a table behind them. I strongly recommend you sign the back of your cards BEFORE leaving this check-in desk. These cards become the MOST important document to you for the next seven days, so take care of them. They will have your ship’s name and sailing date in the upper left-hand corner, and in the middle will have your name, Dining Room assignment (for example, in our case this said “Dining: Table: 346 Normandie Upper Early (5:45)†) At the bottom of your card, it will have your Folio Number. Note that there are two numbers you will eventually have memorized very quickly. One is your cabin number, while the second is your folio number. More on this later.

At this point, it is time to exit the Early Check-In area. Some can pay a reduced rate and enter the self-guided tour of the Queen Mary. However, given my propensity for being early, we headed back out and over to the terminal itself. Time was about 9:30am. By this time, the mass of people around the terminal had grown considerably. Most all were either exiting the ship from the previous cruise, or people waiting for people who were exiting the ship from the previous cruise. Just to the left of those doors I mentioned earlier as the entrance of the terminal is a set of two newspaper machines (the one on the right is USA Today, the one on the left is for a local Long Beach paper. How’s that for detail folks? HAH!) This is the location that the line forms for those who have gone through early check-in over at the Queen Mary. This line grew considerably during the next 2 and a half hours, but I’ll give you one guess who was first in line. icon_wink.gif

By the way, there are bathrooms very close by. If you turn around and look back towards to parking garage, just to the right will be a building with an information desk and a set of bathrooms in the middle. Make a note of these. They are the only ones around before you get on the ship.

Mona got a bit bored and walked over to “look†at the vendors I mentioned earlier. I had noted that one of the vendors was selling purses. I made a special note about this because my dear wife has a passion for purses. I made this dear wife of mine promise only to look as she needed to save her money for the ship and for Mexico. And I was not the least bit surprised when she returned several minutes late with a brand new purse in tow. Sigh…

Now by this time – 11:30am-ish – 5 lines had formed. They were, from left to right, the Early Check-In line, the wedding line, the special assistance line, the skipper’s club line, and the regular check-in line. The early check-in line, well, that’s where we were. There were also two weddings that were scheduled for the time between noon and approximately 4pm. There were many people coming on board just for the wedding, and would then turn around and leave the ship, while the bride and groom (and whomever else booked the cruise) stayed on board for the honeymoon. The special assistance line was just that, for those in wheel chairs or walkers who needed extra time to board. The skipper’s club line was for those who had booked categories 11 or 12 and, as a perk, were allowed to board early. The final line was for those who arrived late or decided not to utilize the check-in over at the Queen Mary.

Now many have referred to the two main lines – the ones on the far left and far right – as being for those who have completed their Fun Pass and for those who have not. This is not correct. They are for those who have either completed the early check-in on board the Queen Mary or have not. That’s it. Perhaps it was that way before, but not now. Perhaps there is a further division of the regular check-in in line on the right. If so, I can’t speak about that.

I can tell you that by 11:30am, the early check-in line was quite significant, spanning from us back towards the restrooms I mentioned, taking a turn towards those vendors and continuing towards the Queen Mary. For how far, I do not know. All I can say is take the “EARLY†part of “Early Check-in†to heart. You may have to stand in line for a bit longer, but you will be on the ship much earlier. In contrast, the regular check-in line was long, but you could see the end. However those in it had to go through the entire process that takes place over at the QM, so there is no time saver by switching lines that I could see. Perhaps you could “make a mistake†and get into this line, thereby telling the Carnival reps that you actually had gone through the Early Check-In already and just chose the wrong line. Honestly, I would be this would work for some, but it isn’t very fair to those who are playing by the rules. Just my 2 cents there.

One other tip for any Carnival staff reading this: seriously consider investing in a set of signs that clearly designate where the lines are. This can’t cost you very much and would save a ton of confusion. You’re the only cruise line in this place right now, so I can’t imagine the terminal not allowing you to put these signs up.

At noon, the Wedding groups were allowed to enter. About 10 minutes later, special assistance passengers proceeded on board, followed immediately by the skipper’s club group. Now with both special assistance and with skipper’s club, the key to expediency was still early check-in. Once inside the doors, those who had checked in early proceeded to the left, all the way to the x-ray machines to have their carry-ons scanned. However, if they did not check-in early, they had to stay to the right to check in first. As soon as those two groups got through the doors, the two check-in lines were allowed in. We zipped right on through, staying to the left, and went through a set of doors, the huge dome towering above us. We soon came upon the x-ray machines. Once through, we walked past several sections to the left of us that were marked with different signs saying Gold, Blue, Red, etc. These areas were the luggage holding areas for those disembarking to come and get their bags after immigration.

We wound past these and came to a little area set up like a Mexican villa. Welcome to the first Photo Op of many! After your pictures are taken, you are asked to have your sail and sign cards in your hands, and you proceed up an escalator to the second floor. (Note there is an elevator if you have carry-ons that strongly dislike escalators. This includes large rollers, garment bags and mothers-in-laws.) Once on the second floor, you are directed to several machines where you hand over your sail & sign card, and you look down into a small camera. This is where they take your sail & sign picture and associate it with your sail & sign card. This is how you can get on and off the ship in ports without needing your passport. When you insert your card upon entering or exiting the ship, your picture comes up on the screen of the security personnel and they verify you be who you be.

At this point, you step through a final set of doors and there, waiting in front of you is the gangway to the Carnival Pride! She was even more beautiful up close as she was from afar! We started out onto the gangway and were stopped! Huh? What was wrong? Did we miss a step? Did security have a problem? Did the Kings lose another playoff game? No, it was time for yet another picture opportunity. Get used to it.

Well, that’s a ton of info there. The next part will pick up on the gangway as we head off onto the most amazing vacation of our lives…. icon_biggrin.gif

NOTE: I have updated our WebShots gallery with more photos - including many giving illustration to the above info, and lots more to come. The link is below.

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Visit our Webshots Gallery

Thanks so much for taking time out to do a review the credit card/debit card info was very informative I am making call to hubby to make sure he does what you did and verifies the banks..thanks can't wait to read the rest!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Where did the Pride leave from?? Never heard of this Hotel you stayed at The Queen Mary..what is that a boat hotel set up at the same port for the Carnival Pride?? I am so excited to read more..thanks

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Hi Mark,

Great job - I felt like I was right back there again. This will be great for newbies like yourself who have never been cruising before.

Keep it coming.

Vette

NCL Norway

Carnival Holiday

NCL Sun

NCL Sea

NCL Wind

Carnival Celebration

RCI Splendour of the Seas

Carnival Pride 1/04

Caribbean Princess 2/05

Thanks Mark! Keep um coming. icon_cool.gif

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Mom's 80th birthday- It's no longer a surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Cyt4soreeyes,

The QUEEN MARY Mark refers to is the real QUEEN MARY, beautiful mistress of the sea decades ago. Long Beach purchased her from her English owners many years ago. She is permanently berthed just a stone's throw from the berth Carnival has in Long Beach. Both the PRIDE and the ECSTASY berth there.

I was on this cruise 2 weeks ago and experienced the best embarkation setup of any so far (excepting Cape Canaveral).

The dome Mark speaks of is the building that used to house the SPRUCE GOOSE, a wood bomber built during the 2nd World War by Howard Hughes. Its moved on to a different location, but the great dome remains as a check-in for Carnival guests. Fabulous layout. icon_smile.gif

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

I replied to your earlier posting regarding the time that the Pride arrives in this posting it sounds like around 6am?

Pride 6th June

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Thanks so much GlRounds For the informtion..seems like a neat port with lots of history. Have to say glad you liked the checkin process at Port Canaveral..I haven't been to that port in years an we will be heading there in 10 more days!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Please tell us more. We are booked for Sept. 25th and haven't found any substantial information for first timers like us.

This is so awesome.

Indeed the Hotel is on the Queen Mary herself. Here's a link to her website: www.queenmary.com

Lots of history and info there.

And yes, the Pride comes in between 6am and 6:30am on Sunday (at least on the two Sundays we were there.)

Mark ºoº

Hi Mark,

Keep the pictures coming. What do we have about 750 more pictures to upload.

Larry

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Repositioning cruise thru the canal on RCCL Radiance 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2005;04;09;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Constellation 4/9/05

Wonderful information. Before I went Teeara had posted good info too. It sounds like the lines have improved. We didn't have any problems, because we did early check in as well. Will let everyone know how it goes next Monday when we board the Ecstasy for cruise #8 for me and #7 for D.D.

Candi

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;02;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Candi,

I'm looking forward to your report on the Ecstasy. I board the Ecstasy on 06/28! icon_cool.gif

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Mark..Do you stand in line the whole time till you board the ship? Any place for sitting?

In San Pedro you could check-in early, get a number, then go sit down in the waiting room

till your number was called.

Thank You.

On our Pride cruise in April, we stood in the line for people who DID the early check-in for over an hour before we made it into the terminal. There were only 2 small benches that held 3 people each. We got into line at about 11:30. When they opened the terminal doors on our sailing, they let in the people who DID NOT do the early check-in first, then the people who DID do the early check-in. There was no option of getting a number and sitting down.

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

next cruise ???? hhhmmmmm.....

Did your review mention what time the early check-in area closes? I know you mentioned the time it opens. But, when it closes is important for those of us locals that may use the early check-in. Do you think it's possible that you left something out? LOL

Kathy

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Belle, MohaveMommy is correct (of course icon_wink.gif ) There were no benches in line, and they did not hand out any number or anything. However, there were some benches and places to sit in front of the terminal in the courtyard area. If you had one person in line, the other could easily go and sit and relax for a while, then switch places. I would NOT recommend just leaving your luggage in line, as I would bet it would be confiscated by security pretty quickly.

Kathy, I couldn't tell you when early check-in closed because, well, we weren't over there. We were first in line, remember? icon_biggrin.gif

They did let both early check-in and regular check-in enter the terminal at the exact same time - early check-in to the left and directly to the x-ray machines, regular check-in to the right and whereever they go; I wasn't looking.

Mark ºoº

I know you were first in line Mark. But, I'm shocked that you left this important detail out. LOL icon_eek.gif

Kathy

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kajsb:

Did your review mention what time the early check-in area closes? I know you mentioned the time it opens. But, when it closes is important for those of us locals that may use the early check-in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did the Pride in March and I seem to remember that the early-check in line looked closed by 11:30-Noon. At least there was not a good deal of people going that way once the 2 lines really started to form.

We did early check-in around 10:30 and by then they had already removed all of the sail/sign cards from the early check-in area and moved them to the dome. The effect of this was that we had to get in another short line just prior to going over the gangway in order to get our cards.

Thanks Dansize! icon_smile.gif This is probably the ONLY thing that Mark missed on this cruise. LOL

Kathy

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Mark..I didn't need my camera. Your pictures are excellent...mine were terrible. This is a new camera but it has never taken good pictures. I threw away about 10 or more pictures that had scenery of where we have been. Thank goodness you have great shots. The ones that came out were the ones that were taken with the throw away camera on the horses, of course.

D & L

Sensation 4/2001

Victory 12/2001

Spirit 12/10/2002

Zuiderdam 5/7/2003

Legend 12/7/2003

Pride 5/9/2004

Royal Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas - 10/24/04

Celebrity Constellation - 4/9/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

West to East thru the Canal on the Radiance ots

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;04;09;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Visiting the Southern Carib on the Constellation

Thanks Mark.

Enjoying reading all your posts on the Pride.

Take your time, don't leave any details out.

It's alright..We don't leave till 1-16-05! icon_biggrin.gif