Being lonely as a solo cruiser?

HealthCraig

I know, I know. The title sounds so pathetic, but I just got off a 4 night cruise on RCI Independence. It was my first solo cruise. I want to preface by saying I had fun and would do it again. However, the longer I was on board, the more lonely I felt. Again, I know that sounds pathetic. I’m not the type of person who’s afraid to talk to strangers, but I did have a hard time trying to make conversation. It seemed everyone around me were with family and/or friends, which is what I expected. I even went to different mingling activities, all of which were duds. No one showed. So, what are some tips you all suggest to combat the weird feeling of being alone while surrounded by thousands of people? I’ve got another solo cruise coming up in a few months and now I’m nervous if this happening again. 

On 7/8/2022 at 3:27 PM, HealthCraig said:

I know, I know. The title sounds so pathetic, but I just got off a 4 night cruise on RCI Independence. It was my first solo cruise. I want to preface by saying I had fun and would do it again. However, the longer I was on board, the more lonely I felt. Again, I know that sounds pathetic. I’m not the type of person who’s afraid to talk to strangers, but I did have a hard time trying to make conversation. It seemed everyone around me were with family and/or friends, which is what I expected. I even went to different mingling activities, all of which were duds. No one showed. So, what are some tips you all suggest to combat the weird feeling of being alone while surrounded by thousands of people? I’ve got another solo cruise coming up in a few months and now I’m nervous if this happening again. 

Hi Graig.  SO there are a few things you can do.  You can join roll call and show up to meet and greet.  Maybe there are others who are solo as well.  

You can ask to share a table and hopefully you will find other solos that way.  

But honestly if you want to meet other solo easily then go with NCL.  They are the only cruise line that actually caters to solos.  They have hosted meet up for solos. People always show up to those.  They set up a table for solos in the main dining room.  Whoever wants to can join. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also consider group travel for singles. Just google it, I'm not allowed to give more details on this forum.

Benefits include roomate finder, if you want, although not mandatory. A guarantee of dozens of other singles onboard who are in the same situation, instead of always feeling like you're hanging out with couples and families. They also have their own hosts who arrange singles-oriented activities, including dining, dancing, games, karaoke, excursions. And they are well-attended because they are exclusive to the singles group.

There is a bit of a hook-up culture to them, but it's no big deal if you aren't interested in that. It's a great community and many/most people end up making friends they keep in touch with afterwards.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:27 PM, HealthCraig said:

Just did my second solo, I would suggest that you don't cruise during the months that's  kids are off from school, that's the time families go away with their kids and other family members..

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 10:20 PM, crittybee said:

Thank you for this post. As an older single who likes to have a great time cruising, it can become lonesome going solo. I would love to learn more about roommate finders.

What if you end up with a roommate from hell?  Then what?  It can ruin your whole cruise.  Better to go to a solo meet and greet and find people to talk to there.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am going to take my 3rd total cruise in May 2023 and its a bucket trip so to speak. Birthday, first on Holland and 2nd to Alaska. First was in 2012 with someone and lets say her thing was find the next gem in the next port. I will be on the Eurodam and find its more in my age group? Lets say I have been guessed much younger. Oh solo, almost forgot.😋

• 1 month later...

I just did my first solo cruise and I was very apprehensive about being lonely.But I had the best time of my life.

I come back and now have decided I don’t think I will travel with a group again. To many people to please.
Maybe I will cruise with someone I get along with very well like my daughter but no more groups . 
I found people asking me if I was by myself and invited my along to join them.

Solo it is for me , I just have to find a cheap cabin.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I did my first real solo cruise in August on the Queen Mary 2.  It was to be a milestone anniversary sailing but did not work out as planned.  It was booked and planned so I just decided to go anyway.  Had made a promise to my husband and I had to fulfill this.  I had a wonderful time and met so many nice people.  You must remember the demographics on this line are in the older/retired group.  Cunard did a wonderful job of putting people at table.  I was at a table for 6 and we were all singles and had a fantastic time.  We spend many evenings together after dinner, met for drinks prior to dinner.  Some of us are even planning a reunion sailing.  The fares are high but it is such a different experience from any of the other cruise lines.  I have my next sailing on QM2 is in May from NYC to Norway and back.  26 days can not wait.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 7:25 AM, shippmates said:

I did my first real solo cruise in August on the Queen Mary 2.  It was to be a milestone anniversary sailing but did not work out as planned.  It was booked and planned so I just decided to go anyway.  Had made a promise to my husband and I had to fulfill this.  I had a wonderful time and met so many nice people.  You must remember the demographics on this line are in the older/retired group.  Cunard did a wonderful job of putting people at table.  I was at a table for 6 and we were all singles and had a fantastic time.  We spend many evenings together after dinner, met for drinks prior to dinner.  Some of us are even planning a reunion sailing.  The fares are high but it is such a different experience from any of the other cruise lines.  I have my next sailing on QM2 is in May from NYC to Norway and back.  26 days can not wait.

@shippmates, I am sorry that the milestone anniversary sailing did not work out as planned.  I have yet to try QM2, I was worried of feeling alone since the fares are higher.  How was the experience different from other cruise lines? I am interested to hear more.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:27 PM, HealthCraig said:

Hi Craig, this happened to me recently. Sailed many times sola on Carnival but took a dream transatlantic to Portugal/Spain on Princess. First time on Princess and OMG … way older crowd in general and people my age with family. Worst of all first 7 days at sea and no internet! So I was stuck in my headspace and it was awful! I love trans Atlantics now and I’m hooked! That’s the big plus! Lesson learned - never sailing a transatlantic off season again on Princess! I don’t want to do Carnival anymore but that means as a solo sailor I really have to pay attention to the cruise line demographic, time of year, length of sailing, itinerary. Next TA is on Virgin Voyages! 

• 1 month later...

You're right those mingling events organized by the cruise line are almost always a bust but those organized online by cruisers themselves are often better attended.

Other than that I found dining with strangers helped a lot

• 5 months later...

I've travelled solo for years, but mostly for business, where I had a built-in social group, so to speak.  My husband died recently after a long illness, and I'm looking at solo cruises and been thinking a lot about this subject.  Decided to approach my next cruise by thinking up all the kinds of things I enjoy doing, visualizing doing them solo and be sure I'm psychically set up to enjoy being 'alone' for the entire trip.  I am gregarious and confident, but it's certainly possible that I'll find nobody to spend time with.  Days in port will be easy, of course ... but I'm a little concerned about the evenings.  If I'm already mentally set up for enjoyment on my own, meeting compatible people will just be frosting on my cake.   My next trip is a river cruise from Provence to Normandy with Avalon in April ... so we'll see how my theory works with a much smaller population than an ocean cruise.  

• Like 1