3 days in Sydney

Peteymil

I have another question for our trip. We will have 3 days in Sydney after our cruise.  The first day we are taking a private tour of Sydney.  The last day, our flight isn't until evening so we thought we would go to the Zoo and botanical gardens, plus whatever else we had time for.

For those of you with experience, we are looking at that middle day.  We were thinking of going to the Blue Mountains, but others suggested we would be better off continuing to explore Sydney-some suggesting a ferry ride to Manly, or walk from Coogee to Bondi Beach.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

9 hours ago, Peteymil said:

I have another question for our trip. We will have 3 days in Sydney after our cruise.  The first day we are taking a private tour of Sydney.  The last day, our flight isn't until evening so we thought we would go to the Zoo and botanical gardens, plus whatever else we had time for.

For those of you with experience, we are looking at that middle day.  We were thinking of going to the Blue Mountains, but others suggested we would be better off continuing to explore Sydney-some suggesting a ferry ride to Manly, or walk from Coogee to Bondi Beach.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

Not sure where you're from (and therefore whether it would have relevance to you), but the Australian Maritime Museum in the Harbour in Sydney has the replica of Captain Cook's Endeavour which you can go aboard and we found fascinating (they've also got a retired Navy Submarine and a Destroyer you can go aboard). Also in that area is the Aquarium which was good and Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum which was cool. That would round out a good day 🙂 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

So many choices, need to know way more about your likes. Personally I think Zoo is pretty much a whole day on its own.

I love going to the zoo so I agree with you that it will take a good chunk of the day. That's what has gotten me thinking that we should stay in Sydney for that middle day instead of venturing outside the city, but I'm just not sure.

For reference, we are from the US, this will probably be our only trip to Sydney, and we love to walk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peteymil said:

I love going to the zoo so I agree with you that it will take a good chunk of the day. That's what has gotten me thinking that we should stay in Sydney for that middle day instead of venturing outside the city, but I'm just not sure.

For reference, we are from the US, this will probably be our only trip to Sydney, and we love to walk.

There is certainly much to see in Sydney - when visiting we love to catch the ferry to Manly, buy fish and chips for lunch or dinner (depends on when we are there) and wander to the beach, just a few minutes walk from the ferry terminal, and sit and eat them. Or if fish and chips are not your thing, there are plenty of cafes, restaurants and pubs to eat at. The beach is wonderful to walk along and there is also the Sydney Harbour National Park where there are plenty of walking tracks and also the former North Head Quarantine Station.

• Like 4

And tell us WHEN you will be in Sydney🙂

Taronga Zoo is wonderful . Apart from the animals, it has beautiful harbour and city skyline views. 3, 4 hours go by quickly. You can get a combined ferry-zoo ticket at circular quay. Plus (I believe) a ticket with the option to take the cable car from Taronga Wharf to the gate.

There are loads of options for harbour sightseeing. Just the ride with commentary, or lunch/dinner/afternoon tea cruises. Some are excellent, some a bit Meh...

I prefer a LUNCH cruise. Dinner sounds nice in principle, but remember that you will mostly looking at your own reflections. It's lit up inside, and dark outside...😉

And I cannot recommend a Harbour Bridge Climb highly enough. It's NOT CHEAP, but worth every Cent.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peteymil said:

These are all wonderful suggestions. I will be in Sydney on February 7, 8, 9. 

That will most likely be very hot (40c not unusual) so you may need to limit your walking a bit

• Like 1

If the Hop On/Off bus is available, that would be another option to consider.  I also suggest a visit to the Australian Maritime Museum.  It's excellent and has a very good gift shop/book store.  (I found a book that I had been wanting to buy and was unavailable in the United States.)  

• Like 2

We also had 3 days pre-cruise and covered many of the sights already noted in other posts. The first  morning, we toured the Opera House (booked advance ticket online; not sure it is currently offered as when we visited in February 2020, we were told renovations were to start but, with Covid, not sure).  That afternoon we took the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach and enjoyed a relaxing time there.  The second day, we first visited Taronga Zoo and booked a behind the scenes, Wild Australia Experience. It was fabulous as we got up close and personal with kangaroos and yes, koalas and many others - highly recommend. It also included tea and cupcake after the tour by the gift shop. That afternoon, we walked to the Botanical Gardens and then, to Victoria Building Mall (beautiful inside/shops). It was very hot and we had many breaks in between.  On our last day, we took the 333 bus (Opal pass) from the Circular Quay to Bondi Beach (enjoyed Manly Beach more) and then back to Circular Quay for lunch and walk about to the Rocks area.  Enjoy your time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 6:43 PM, WESTEAST said:

We also had 3 days pre-cruise and covered many of the sights already noted in other posts. The first  morning, we toured the Opera House (booked advance ticket online; not sure it is currently offered as when we visited in February 2020, we were told renovations were to start but, with Covid, not sure).  That afternoon we took the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach and enjoyed a relaxing time there.  The second day, we first visited Taronga Zoo and booked a behind the scenes, Wild Australia Experience. It was fabulous as we got up close and personal with kangaroos and yes, koalas and many others - highly recommend. It also included tea and cupcake after the tour by the gift shop. That afternoon, we walked to the Botanical Gardens and then, to Victoria Building Mall (beautiful inside/shops). It was very hot and we had many breaks in between.  On our last day, we took the 333 bus (Opal pass) from the Circular Quay to Bondi Beach (enjoyed Manly Beach more) and then back to Circular Quay for lunch and walk about to the Rocks area.  Enjoy your time.

Thank you for the great information. I would love to do the wild Australia experience, however right now it was not available due to Covid concerns, but I am still hopeful that in six months it's possible that they will reinstate it. The other suggestions are also great so thanks again.The other suggestions are also great so thanks again.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, WESTEAST said:

The first  morning, we toured the Opera House (booked advance ticket online; not sure it is currently offered as when we visited in February 2020, we were told renovations were to start but, with Covid, not sure).

The $150 million renovations to the Opera House Concert Hall finished last month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So now that final payment has been made, it’s time to really jump into planning 👏🏻! Sailing b2b mid Oct. We will also have a few days in Sydney before sailing and really appreciate all the ideas that are being shared-

Is it recommended to purchase ferry tickets (Manly beach and Taronga Zoo) in advance or is it easy to get them day of adventure? Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

So now that final payment has been made, it’s time to really jump into planning 👏🏻! Sailing b2b mid Oct. We will also have a few days in Sydney before sailing and really appreciate all the ideas that are being shared-

Is it recommended to purchase ferry tickets (Manly beach and Taronga Zoo) in advance or is it easy to get them day of adventure? Thanks!

You don't pre-purchase ferry tickets - you will need to obtain an Opal card to use for public transport.  Opal Card

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

You don't pre-purchase ferry tickets - you will need to obtain an Opal card to use for public transport.  Opal Card

I found this online, does this no longer work?

If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card or a linked device, you can use it to pay for travel by tapping on and tapping off at Opal readers. Just look for the contactless payment symbol /sites/default/files/styles/thumbnail/public/image/2017/07/contactless-symbol.png?itok=KL_eUfMj

15 hours ago, Peteymil said:

I found this online, does this no longer work?

If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card or a linked device, you can use it to pay for travel by tapping on and tapping off at Opal readers. Just look for the contactless payment symbol /sites/default/files/styles/thumbnail/public/image/2017/07/contactless-symbol.png?itok=KL_eUfMj

Sorry, yes I forget to put that in my answer!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Too hot to walk? Fed up of walking? Our favourite thing to do is take the ferry from Circular Quay all the way up to Parmatta and back. The last section is narrow with mangroves alongside and the exotic birdlife flying overhead. We love it! It's a great way to spend the afternoon.

Edited by Kitekat
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

If you'd consider driving, I'd say get a car and do the drive up to Terrigal. Such a beautiful area and views along the way and a lovely beach for a nice lunch. If you're into history, would highly recommend going over to the old Quarantine Station in Manly https://www.qstation.com.au/ - beautiful, peaceful and a scary ghost tour available too 🙂

On 8/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, Kitekat said:

Too hot to walk? Fed up of walking? Our favourite thing to do is take the ferry from Circular Quay all the way up to Parmatta and back. The last section is narrow with mangroves alongside and the exotic birdlife flying overhead. We love it! It's a great way to spend the afternoon.

Sounds like something we might do. Once at Circular Quay, do we just look for a ferry that ends in Paramutta? Is there a name? Outside seats or do you stand at rail? It's my first time going to sydney 

Yes, it's the ferry that ends in Parramatta. I don't think the ferries have particular names.

If it's a nice day, certainly sit outside - you might need sunscreen, hat, water etc if it's really warm or a mac, fleece and umbrella if it's a bit cooler as happened to us the last time! (only we didn't have any of them and had to resort to sitting inside)!

At Parramatta, you will need to leave the ferry walk the short loop ashore and reboard.

Highly recommend getting an Opal card and loading with sufficient funds for your trip - week runs from Monday to Sunday and the day costs are capped. You can get a refund on the card but it lasts 9 years before they cancel it, so hang on if you think you will go to Sydney again. This will be our third visit and we can't wait.

9 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Sounds like something we might do. Once at Circular Quay, do we just look for a ferry that ends in Paramutta? Is there a name? Outside seats or do you stand at rail? It's my first time going to sydney 

I have attached a screenshot of the map of Circular Quay. The jetty shaded red is the one to catch the  F3 Paramatta ferry from. This link may help - Sydney Ferries

Screenshot 2022-08-26 07.55.17.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

For those who enjoy walking, and if the weather is mild, I recommend walking at least partway across the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  Not the bridge climb, but just up the steps and along the pedestrian walkway. One side is for walkers, the other for bicycles, both protected from the road traffic and trains in the middle.  When I lived in Sydney I walked across most days; it was lovely.

I assume it is still possible to do this.  Locals, please advise if it is not.

18 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Is this the same area that we check in for Princess cruise?

Yes it is, the Overseas Passenger Terminal is just a few minutes walk from the ferry piers. You can see the bow of a cruise ship at the top of the picture.