Brisbane in November - first visit advice?

watcher_62

Hello - we are ending our trans pacific in Brisbane in November, and have heard different opinions on whether we should be staying few nights in the city or exploring others (Melbourne/Sydney) as Brisbane "isn't that exciting".  It's our first time in Australia, and we're pretty flexible with time and travel, but need to be somewhere with direct flights back to Vancouver once we are done.  Any suggestions on activities and locations and advice on "must do"'s would really be appreciated! Thank you!

So much depends on your personal interests. 

I guess there is more to see and do in Sydney or Melbourne, but plenty to fill 3 days around Brissy too, again depending on what you want to do.

And remember you will use a pretty good chunk of a day moving between cities, between getting too and from airports and wait8ng around after check in

• Like 2

How many extra days do you want to spend after your cruise before you fly home? And what are your interests? There is plenty to do around Brisbane and its surrounds. If you are interested, a day trip to Australia Zoo is worthwhile, or a trip into the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast hinterlands even.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, possum52 said:

How many extra days do you want to spend after your cruise before you fly home? And what are your interests? There is plenty to do around Brisbane and its surrounds. If you are interested, a day trip to Australia Zoo is worthwhile, or a trip into the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast hinterlands even.

We're thinking 2 or 3 days in Brisbane then driving down the coast to Sydney. There look like a number of spots to stop and see along the way so we'll spend a few days on the road...

10 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

We're thinking 2 or 3 days in Brisbane then driving down the coast to Sydney. There look like a number of spots to stop and see along the way so we'll spend a few days on the road...

First of all, are you happy to drive on the opposite side of the road to which you are used to? It is a long drive to Sydney from Brisbane, even taking a few days to do it. You will certainly see more of the Australian countryside by driving and there are some beautiful towns to stop at on the way. Food luck with whatever you decide to do. One thing, fuel is very expensive here at the moment and I think expected to stay that way for some time, if not even higher.

45 minutes ago, possum52 said:

First of all, are you happy to drive on the opposite side of the road to which you are used to? It is a long drive to Sydney from Brisbane, even taking a few days to do it. You will certainly see more of the Australian countryside by driving and there are some beautiful towns to stop at on the way. Food luck with whatever you decide to do. One thing, fuel is very expensive here at the moment and I think expected to stay that way for some time, if not even higher.

Hi - yes, we understand we'll need to take it slow and be cautious.  I have driven Auckland to Tauranga before so I think we'll be OK.  The costs of gas and the rental will be much less than 4 air tickets, and as you mention - we're excited to have a chance to see more of the country and cities/towns.  Do you have any "must do's" you would recommend? Any local experience and advice would be fantastic! Thank you!

7 minutes ago, watcher_62 said:

Hi - yes, we understand we'll need to take it slow and be cautious.  I have driven Auckland to Tauranga before so I think we'll be OK.  The costs of gas and the rental will be much less than 4 air tickets, and as you mention - we're excited to have a chance to see more of the country and cities/towns.  Do you have any "must do's" you would recommend? Any local experience and advice would be fantastic! Thank you!

You probably need advice from those who know the areas better than I do. These links give some good suggestions.

Brisbane to Sydney Road Trip

Brisbane to Sydney Road Trip

More Hints for Roadtrip

10 Best Places to Visit on Roadtrip

I would suggest you have a read of these articles and from your own interests work out your itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

I think you may find that the cost of a rental to fit 4 plus luggage and the cost of fuel could be a lot more than flights for 4. 

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

I think you may find that the cost of a rental to fit 4 plus luggage and the cost of fuel could be a lot more than flights for 4. 

Plus perhaps a night or two on the way. While I have driven it in one go, you won’t see much that way.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2022 at 11:59 PM, watcher_62 said:

On 7/19/2022 at 11:06 AM, GUT2407 said:

Plus perhaps a night or two on the way. While I have driven it in one go, you won’t see much that way.

My girlfriend from NY drove, with two young boys, from Brisbane to Sydney stopping at attractions along the Coast.  She loved it.  The secret is to take your time.  Anywhere you decide to go left of the highway will be beautiful.  Do your research and pick places which appeal to you.  I have stopped overnight at a lot of places, but my favourites are South West Rocks (Trial Bay Gaol) and Bellingen and Dorrigo Rainforest Centre (inland off the Coast).

( LOCALSAUCETOURS.COM.AU GIVES 10 PLACES TO STAY.)

All the beach places in Northern NSW are beautiful but we don't stopover there because we are locals.  Last time we drove straight through with a relaxing lunch at Nambucca Heads SLSC overlooking the spectacular ocean.

Just now, MMDown Under said:

My girlfriend from NY drove, with two young boys, from Brisbane to Sydney stopping at attractions along the Coast.  She loved it.  The secret is to take your time.  Anywhere you decide to go left of the highway will be beautiful.  Do your research and pick places which appeal to you.  I have stopped overnight at a lot of places, but my favourites are South West Rocks (Trial Bay Gaol) and Bellingen and Dorrigo Rainforest Centre (inland off the Coast).

( LOCALSAUCETOURS.COM.AU GIVES 10 PLACES TO STAY.)

All the beach places in Northern NSW are beautiful but we don't stopover there because we are locals.  Last time we drove straight through with a relaxing lunch at Nambucca Heads SLSC overlooking the spectacular ocean.

BTW I buy home made gifts for my NY girlfriend at the Craft Centre at South West Rocks. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

BTW I buy home made gifts for my NY girlfriend at the Craft Centre at South West Rocks. 

I was there just a few months ago. We were heading to Lismore and were thinking we needed a stop so figured South West Rocks was as good as anywhere and Mrs G stuck her head into the Craft Centre, now I think there are a few Craft places so can’t guarantee it was the same place.

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I was there just a few months ago. We were heading to Lismore and were thinking we needed a stop so figured South West Rocks was as good as anywhere and Mrs G stuck her head into the Craft Centre, now I think there are a few Craft places so can’t guarantee it was the same place.

What a coincidence.  I'm sure it it is the same one as there is only one with all home made craft.  It is near the Caravan Park so has a captive audience.  My NY girlfriend loves the unique handtowels which go over the stove rails.,  it is called South West  Rocks Arts and Crafts Cottage.  

51 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What a coincidence.  I'm sure it it is the same one as there is only one with all home made craft.  It is near the Caravan Park so has a captive audience.  My NY girlfriend loves the unique handtowels which go over the stove rails.,  it is called South West  Rocks Arts and Crafts Cottage.  

I’m honestly not sure of the name, if (and it is a pretty big IF) we ever go up again I’ll suggest we call in again and check.